“nice vacation”

Ranked #19 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Colrain, Massachusetts
“nice vacation”
Reviewed 5 March 2012

we stayed a week at this resort. there was a problem with our check in,,but tanya sue at the front desk was great she fixed it pronto. the hotel is a bit outdated, but clean, the pools were clean our room was clean,,,views were fantastic. all the staff was great and friendly.food was okay...fresh salads and wonderful fruits were the way to go. the only thing i really did not like was the amount of feral cats roaming the property,,they would enter the dining room , gross!!! they were mangy and if you think about it the beach was one big litter box for those nasty cats. other than the cats i enjoyed it. we never used any of the 3 restaurants on the property. we went on a tour at croydon plantation. wonderful place. they grow 18 different varieties of pineapples. the shopping in town was annoying with the vendors attacking you. great time

Room Tip: dont get a room above the disco unless you want loud noise until 2am
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank sherriem54

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,444)
  • Polish first
London, Canada
Reviewed 5 March 2012

First I would like to start off by saying that we had a good time at the Sunset beach resort and spa, however; there were definitely things for them to work on.

The beach -- rocky sand, water was only good for maybe 30 feet then the sea bed was covered in these short little plants (no idea what could be hiding in there), there are sea urchins as well so be very careful.

The buffet -- there was always something to eat, got very repetitive, jerk chicken was great, pasta was inedible (like a gum) my 1 year old daughter wouldn't even eat it and she will eat anything, breakfast buffet was the best, and the made to order eggs were fantastic, servers were great, remembered my daughters name and would say hi everytime they saw her.

The a la cartes -- Asian was surprising delicious, Italian was the best, had a reservation for 9pm and the restaurant manager was able to get us in at 8pm. Didn't make it to the carribbean a la carte

Rooms -- clean, suppose to be renovated but tub drain was rusty, toilet was very worn, beds were hard, housekeeper was great, our key cards stopped working on us a few times so my husband had to go down stairs and get them working again, but the housekeeper was nice enough to let me and my daughter into our room. View was of the harbour and was nice enough being on the 4th floor.

Service -- Check-in went smoothly for us, we were suppose to get a group check in because we booked the sunquest family first package and we didn't get it, there were 11 of us. Everyone that I encountered was very friendly and were wonderful with my daughter

Pools -- Could have been cleaner but fun none the less -- spent a lot of time on the lazy river, we brought our own tube for our daughter, almost impossible to get a seat by the waterpark without going out to get a chair at 7am, we didn't bother as we weren't in 1 spot long enough

Entertainment -- We didn't make it to much of the entertainment as by the time the good stuff started my daughter was ready for bed, the times we did make it, it was boring, there were vendors most days we were there selling their stuff in the entertainment area

Wildlife -- there practically wasn't any, some black song birds and that was about it, we also saw some dead cockroaches in the walkway behind the entertainment, they didn't bring any outside wildlife

We missed out on two days of the vacation as my husband got sick, so he was down and out for a day, then my poor daughter caught it and she was down and out for a day with a fever of 102.4, which is scary when your in a different country, she ended up having to see the doctor (good thing we are covered) he was there withing 40 minutes of the call, started my daughter on amoxicillian, so this put a slight damper on our vacation.

Overall it was a nice enough resort, but I saw nothing that would make me return to Sunset Beach or Jamaica itself

Travelled as a large group of 11

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank k_jennings_12
Kaukauna, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed 5 March 2012

We just returned from a 4 nite stay at Sunset Beach in Montego Bay. The hotel was very clean, no bugs, service and food were excellent. The only negative thing I can say is the entertainment could have been better. maybe have better band music for dancing. Only 1 nite did they have a reggae party and bonfire. Otrherwise, place was great. Don't understand negative reviews as none of that is true.

Room Tip: upgrade to an oceanfront room with balcony...very nice
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Sherry K
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Our stay was much too short,feb 09/12 to feb 16/12 considering this was a splendid vacation.The food,the preparation,the lay out,the maid service,mrs wint & all the staff.But two in particular stood out for me,Avian at the main watering hole (bar) and Sharon in the main dining aea.My wife and i loved it and we,ll be back.thank you all.David & Ingrid Bromfield Toronto,canada.

Room Tip: "Higher floors, better view"
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank david b
Candia, New Hampshire
Reviewed 4 March 2012

My wife, son and I just returned Mar. 2, 2012 after a week stay. It was a great time starting with check-in which took a whole 3-4 minutes. We loved the water park and enjoyed the activities( It would help to let people know you need sneakers to use the gym). The food was good though heavy on pasta for some reason. Many other choices-all good. We definitely loved para-sailing
and would recommend this activity. Thanks to all the staff for your professionalism and helping us have a great time.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank NZAPA
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 4 March 2012

First trip to Jamaica ever and it was important to find a place that was (1) a good value, (2) had great amenities, and (3) offered enough activities to keep us entertained for our 7 day vacation. Sunset Beach did not disappoint. Great pools, amazing stretch of beaches, and super nice staff!

We partook of just about every activity we could and I recommend you try out a lot of the activities the resort offers. We had fun at the water park; we played tennis, chess, checkers, ping pong and mini golf; we took out a kayak and also snorkeled with the water sports crew (which btw was some of the best snorkeling of the entire trip); and we partook in many of the planned resort activities (eg pool volleyball) and evening entertainment (live music, games, shows, etc.). The food all-around was excellent; if you are staying at least 5 days, make sure to dedicate three nights to dine at the three on-site high-end restaurants - better food and service than I've had at NYC restaurants (native Brooklynite)!

This resort was big enough and nice enough to make you feel like you really got good bang for your buck, but not too large that you didn't get personal attention and service from the staff, and that's key. The staff really do a good job to make everyone has a great time.

There is an orientation offered each day at 5pm for new folks to acquaint themselves; we probably should have done it but managed to figure things out on our own without missing much. Word to the wise, you can only place reservations for one of the three restaurants up to two days in advanced and can only dine at each place once per each week stayed (so it you stay two weeks, you can eat at each restaurant again). We did eat at all three and the buffet dining was also super good with lots of variety for every kind of eater.

Yes, newer places are opening up in Montego Bay and this place has been around for some time, but newer and bigger aren't necessarily better. We had the chance to look at a few other resorts and we were happy to have chosen Sunset Beach.

Whether you are single, a couple, or traveling with family, this resort has plenty to offer to make your stay in Jamaica a memorable one. Hope you have a great trip there!

Room Tip: If you are a light sleep or go to bed early, then pay more to stay in the inn rooms along the beach...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank SMacklin10
Brantford, Canada
Reviewed 3 March 2012

This resort is rated at a 4 star resort but is really a 3 star resort.

Check-in: dis-organized and unfriendly front desk staff. We were to have group check-in and this was not provided. We were family first and were to be all on the same floor, this was not provided. Sunquest should not advertise something that is not provided. There were 11 of us travelling together.

Room: A Tower 5th floor room 515. Was renovated, but really just some fresh paint slapped on the walls. Room keys only worked sometimes, real pain to get into the room. Always had hot water. Room was always cleaned really well. Noisey until 2:30 am from the disco, roudy people in the hallways which could be easily heard in your room. I have had better rooms in Cuba.

Grounds: Not enough garbage pails this is why there is garbage stewn around. No ashtrays that is why there are cigarette butts all over the place and I don't smoke.

Pools: could be cleaned around the walls better but the water was clean. Stay OUT of the hot tub unless you want to get sick.

Bars: Hit and miss with the bar staff, sometimes you got a drink and sometimes you had to wait even when no one else was at the bar. I watched the bar staff just rinse the used cups under water for a few seconds, just what I want, other peoples germs to get me sick. Best bar is at the Italian restaurant because no one is there. Drinks are weak but ok. One bar tender told me that sometimes they get paid, sometimes they don't, this may explain the sporatic service.

Restaurants: Main buffet, hate to say it but it sucks. You can find something to sustain yourself but not really good food, it is what it is. I really enjoyed the airliner food on the way home because it was better then their buffet, pretty sad. The selection was not what I expected it to be. Breakfast was the best of the meals.

Italian: I must say in all my years of traveling, 30 years, this was the BEST food I have ever consumed on a all inclusive resort. Cudos to the staff at the Italian restaurant.The waiter Kevin was the best and right on the money with his service. They should let Kevin clean up this resort.

Asian: I wouldn't rush back but the food was ok. Just not my type of food.

Beach: Really a rough beach, be CAREFUL you can get hurt, seen a few people stub some toes. Not really a sandy beach but a hard surface with some sand on top. Water was good with snorkling out past the break walls where there is a small reef. Saw a couple baracuda.

Entertainment: The shows I went to were good, I did like Cuba better.

Needless to say I would NOT return to this resort until they cleaned up their act. I am not a picky eater and do understand that this is not a rich country. I have been all over and do understand what to expect.

Room Tip: Don't go to this resort, pay a lttle more money.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank theetrader
MMSunset, Manager at Sunscape Splash Montego Bay, responded to this review, 5 March 2012
Dear Theetrader,

Thank you for your feedback and mentioning the positive aspects such as our Italian restaurant, Room cleanlines, and Entertainment. I do apologize for the rowdy guests you may have encountered during your visit. Some of our guests tend to get a bit festive while on holiday. Our live entertainment concludes at 11pm and nocturnal activities continue on in our Tamarind Lounge/Disco which is more self contained so as not to disturb our other guests. I will certainly examine if this music is too loud and thank you for your thoughts on this. Some of the items you mentioned are not consistent with many reviews on this very page, but rest assured I will examine the issues in the context that we are perpetually striving to improve our guest experience.
Rooms Division Mgr.
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay
62.9 km away
Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica

Been to Sunscape Splash Montego Bay? Share your experiences!