“Lots of fun”

Ranked #17 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
Toronto, Canada
“Lots of fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

Went March 31 to April 7. Had a great, quiet, beautiful room in tower A on seventh floor. Staff were friendly and helpful..... Loved Rosie! Buffet got repetitive, a la Cartes were good... Didn't starve. The omelette guy is amazing! Beaches were beautiful and pools awesome. My party didn't get rooms together as promised and the night entertainment is boring! Steel drummers were the best though! I would go back and recommend this resort. No clocks in the room, bring your own I guess! The daily maid service was a bit unpredictable. Traveling with kids we often needed a quiet hour in the afternoon, sometimes the room had been cleaned but often not and it was trying to get new clean towels, this was around 2 pm daily.

Room Tip: Corner room tower A specifically 703, it has ocean, harbor, mountains and pool views! Quiet here...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Tina M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,402)
  • Polish first
Cape Breton Island, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

Our first visit to this resort was 9 years ago and we were very pleased with the service and the people were amazing then; we didn't hesitate to book again this year and we were not disappointed. Our flight was very late landing and when we arrived at the resort the main desk attendants were smiling and waiting to check us in. We were not satisfied with our assigned room and when we requested a new room they did not hesitate to move us. A corner room on the 10th floor of tower A was awesome. The food, drinks, service was fantastic and I would recommend this resort to anyone - Clinton makes the best omlette ever!

Room Tip: If you want a beautiful view request a room from level 4 and up.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Fki1450
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

I visited this resort from 4/1/12 - 4/5/12 with my wife and 16 yr old son. I agree with most of the reviews, however, the negative ones are, imho, outrageous! Life is what you make it, for Christs sake!! Being on vacation in Jamaica should be appreciated, being that there are many other people who cannot indulge due to $$$ or time in coming to this beautiful island. I admit, everying wasn't perfect, but life is not perfect! If you just make the best of everything, you will be happier. We have been to many islands & resorts, both Carribean and others (Barbados, Caymens, St. Thomas, St. Johns, Cancun, Antiga, to name a few). We had only visited these other islands once each. We have been to Jamaica at least 5 times...it's not the actual place, food, music, etc. that makes a vacation (although it helps), or even a party fun and successful.....it is the people! And, Jamaicans are the kindest hearted people, which is why we return (and will continue to return) over and over.
I agree that the food at Sunset Beach Resort is not the best, but it wasn't as bad as some folks have claimed in these reviews. If you want top of the line food, I suggest going to Sandals, Beaches, or The Ritz!. I thought the Italian restaurant was ok. The Asian restaurant was pretty good! Yes, Clinton was a master when it came to making omlettes every morning. In fact, as most people stated, breakfast was my favorite meal as well.
Our room was in Tower B, facing the Bay, which is actually the front of the resort. It was cool seeing the Cruise ship when it was harbored there. The room and the entire facility was spotless! Everyone employed at this resort work very hard to see to it that guests are serviced with respect, including bartenders, cleaning crews, maids, front desk clerks, management, etc. My family appreciated this and thank them for making our vacation fun and enjoyable! If you want respect, you should give your hosts the same respect you expect!!
I understand that the Resort Management reads these reviews and would like to make a few constructive suggestions:
- Ceiling fans in the gym/workout room would be nice.
- Jamican music playing throughout the resort in appropriate places (i.e. pool areas, etc.) would add to the ambiance of one being in a Jamaican resort. All we MOSTLY heard were the same American and/or rap songs and music over and over. IMHO, Jamican music puts you in the mood and makes you feel more on vacation
- We were told that "Beach Bar-B-Que" night was to take place on the beach on Tuesday night, weather permitting. It turned out that it was beautiful outside (as it always is), yet, it turned out to be the usual buffet, serving chicken & ribs and "go withs". I suggest having a REAL bar-b-que on the beach where the food is actually grilled! Hey...we were disappointed in this, but still enjoyed it...I mean its not enough to complain about and let it ruin our vacation.
Again, thank you for making our vacation at your beautiful resort an enjoyable one. My biggest complaint is that it wasn't long enough for us!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Steve E
Miramichi, NB
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

We visited sunset beach resort from March 24th - March 31st. We went in a group of 39 people mostly adults.

Transport to the airport: only about a 10 minute bus ride. It was all smooth.

Check In: It was pretty fast, we were disappointed when we all didn't have rooms together like it was requested during booking this trip. Rooms were all spread out....and we booked 8 months prior to the trip....not like it was last minute. But we survived.

Rooms: Very spacious. Clean. Lots of TV channels. Bathroom was a fair size and clean. They had dispensers in the shower with Shower gel and Shampoo. Maid was sometimes cleaning room really late in the day when we were ready to shower for supper, this was disappointing, so a couple of days we opted to not have our room cleaned. We weren't given a lot of towels and we used our beach towels at times.

Our toilet over flowed (I plugged it.....oops!) Called front desk and it was dealt with in the matter of minutes!!! Very impressed!

Grounds/Beach: Beach apparently is man made, but it was pretty nice! It wasn't the nicest beach I was ever on and I hear the beaches in Nigril are amazing! But we liked it!! We brought our water shoes but we didnt' need them! We spent a lot of time in the ocean too. There were star fish and sea urchins from time to time, but mostly it was all sand until you got to the sea weed.....never seen one crab.

Grounds were clean and well maintained! there was always staff picking up garbage and empty glasses.

Food: We enjoyed all 3 of the a la cartes! Italian was our favourte but they were all very good! Tried out some new food too!!

Buffet was good! Breakfast was the best. Omelette station was not only entertaining but tasty! Lunch: There was always a wrap station and another station that altenated between fijitas, quesadillas, pitas filled with chicken, beef or pork with veggies and all the toppings...they were good!! Dinner: Pasta station and meat station, along with jerk chicken and pork and loads to go with it! Potatoes were always good.

Staff were very clean; always washing their hands.

There was always bananas(they were sooo good) and watermelon....sometime some other fruit but not most of the time. Always lots of veggies.

There was no bottled water, but we drank the tap water, which was served in the restaurants and bars....they assured us that their water was filtered and treated just like in Canada....we all drank it (39 of us) without issue. There was bottled water in the gift store along with coca cola products and snack.

Bar: Drinks were 110% awesome!! Blenders were going non-stop!!! Some of our favourties: dirty banana, humming bird, mudslide, vodka with pineapple juice and a splash of grenadine!!! Beer on tap was always really cold!! I enjoyed the Red Stripe light as apposed to the Regular. Bar tenders were friendly and of course moved faster for a tip.....amazing how fast you can get your drink for a dollar!

We went on the 3 hour bus tour!! Not fun!! We went on the hip strip this part was fine, then the bus took us to the market, this was awful. There were 4 of us and the locals were waiting for us when we got off the bus, we almost couldnt' get off they were so close. They did a real good job being able to separate the 4 of us, meaning we couldnt see eachother! People kept touching me and running their fingers through my hair wanting to braid it. Everyone was selling the exact same things. They each had a little spot about as big as a closet and they would get you inside and stand in the opening so you were unable to leave. They would put things in the bag wanting you to buy it....very very very pushy!! NOT FUN!! Needless to say we got the hell out of there as quickly as we could!!!

We went on this trip as friends of ours were getting married. The wedding was gorgeous!! They were pleased with the out come!!

All in all we had a great trip!!! Loved the resort!! Amazing views of the sunset every night!!!

Room Tip: I was told the rooms in Tower "A" were the best as they have been renovated; this is where...
8 Thank kimlaugh
New Brunswick
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

This was my first time in Jamaica, I have to say the only downfall that I have with Jamaica is the beaches. I am a huge beach person and enjoy big waves, long beaches, white sands. This has nothing to do with the resort, and I was there along with 38 other people for a wedding. The food at this resort was amazing, I have been to Cuba and the Dominican and Jamaica by far has the best tasting food. The Chinese a la cart at this resort was amazing, yummy spring rolls. The pool bar was alot of fun and a great way to enjoy drinks and cool off at the same time. The air-conditioners work great in the rooms. The waterpark was also a fun way to enjoy an afternoon and find that inner child we all have. The beds were comfortable and once you asked for towels you got them daily. Only dissapointments were the fact that our wedding party was not all on the same floor, they should look into 24-hour drinks, should have fridges in rooms. Internet and phone cards were very affordable. Dunn's river is such a great experience, but go prepared, swim shoes, towel, it is physicaly demanding at certain points. Margaritaville is a must, the shuttle takes you there right from the hotel. The waiters and waitresses at the buffet were beyond my expectations, they were there in a timely manner to serve you water, and take your plates away when you finished eating. Thank you for a great Jamaican holiday!!!!

Room Tip: Tower A is close to everything, elevators so no need to worry about steps, we were on the second flo...
5 Thank Sandrad2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

Just returned from the Sunset Beach Resort in Montego Bay. We were there for a family reunion. I'm from Jamaica and am familiar with this resort from the time it was called Seawind, so I knew it was on the older side (roughly 40 years old) and was not a 5 star. Accordingly, my expectations for the resort were, I think, appropriately tempered. My rating is a reflection of how the hotel matched my expectations - it matched them right on. It didn't fail to meet or exceed my expectations.

In short, the Resort is, by Jamaican standards, probably a 3.5 star at most. Its not bad, but its not great either. Its perfectly fine if you want an all-inclusive with decent food, the standard amenities for an all-inclusive, and don't want to spend a ton of cash. I'll try to recount my views of different aspects of the resort to try and give a more clear picture of what to reasonably expect.

Location:

The resort is in the Freeport area of Montego Bay, just slightly west of downtown Montego Bay. Its the same area where cruise ships dock. Being the first resort in that part of town, it has a pretty prime location and has only one other resort nearby, the much newer Secrets Montego Bay. Although you can see that resort from Sunset, there's no overlap- they don't share a beach and you can't easily go from one to the other.

The grounds:

Although the resort has a large number of rooms (400+ I believe), the grounds are not huge. This is because most of the rooms are contained in 2 towers (A & B, also called Sunrise and Sunset), although there are also several "villa" style rooms in 2 storey buildings. As a result, its totally walkable - no more than maybe 10 minutes walk between the furthest points. The grounds seem well-maintained, but definitely moreso on the "Villas" side than where the Towers are located.

The Rooms/Building:

We stayed in a Bay View room in Tower A. That means it had a view of the City and the Cruise ship port/harbour, which is actually a very nice view. Our room had a flat screen tv, with a large number of satellite channels (mostly US, but also a couple of Jamaican, Canadian and French channels), a balcony, full bathroom, two double beds (we had requested a King), and a safe. When you check in, you get your room key cards, your safe key and your towel cards (for beach towels). The room was a decent size and reasonably clean.

The negatives - the rooms in the Towers are tired and in need of updating. The sliding door to the balcony was wonky, the front door not very well soundproofed, so we heard every sound in the hallways (which is tiled, so every single footstep you can hear from the bed). There was a little tile mould in the shower, and the bathroom had no fan or ventilation - there was a actually a note on the bathroom door asking that you shower with the door closed, so the steam doesn't set off the fire alarms. Once I read that, I understood why the mould was there - all that condensation without ventilation is a recipe for mould. The safe, while effective, was very old and required you to carry around the key with you at all times - I think an electronic safe with combination locks would be preferred. The elevators were slow, but clean, but a lot of the room numbers were missing. Bottom line, a renovation is definitely needed in the Tower rooms. I didn't see the villa rooms, but they appeared to be nicer.

Food:

The food was fine. Because of the size of our group we ate mostly at the buffet. In terms of restaurants, in addition to the buffet, there's a grill that serves up burgers, fries and hot dogs and jerk chicken for most of the afternoon, and at least a couple of a la cartes (Asian, Caribbean). The website I think said there's 7 restos, but I didn't see them all. Between the buffet and the grill, there's essentially food available all day long. The hotel has no room service.

Anyway, as I mentioned, the food was fine - nothing special, very typical resort buffet. There was an omelette bar at breakfast and a pasta bar at dinner, with at least one special entree item daily. I found the buffet pretty limited, particularly at lunch and dinner and after a couple of days it got quite boring, but the food itself was well-made and generally tasted good. The thing that disappointed me, however, was the lack of local (i.e. Jamaican) items on offer at the buffet. Most days its pretty generic North American food and not much variety in terms of what was offered.

We only went to one a la carte, the Caribbean restaurant, and it was pretty good, but nothing special.

Drinks:

The alcohol selection was actually pretty good - largely well-known brands. The beer was Red Stripe, naturally and the Rum was all Jamaican (Appleton, or Wray and Nephew Overproof) - other types of liquors were well-known international brands. Doesn't seem like much, but I've stayed at a so-called 5 star in the Dominican Republic where all of the included alcohol was local (as in generic local rum, whiskey, vodka, etc. - no well-known brands).

There are a good number of bars scattered through the resort, so drinks are always easy to get.

Amenities

As a I mentioned before, the amenities were decent. 4 distinct beach areas (a little beach in front of the buffet, the larger, main beach, right beside it, plus two "clothing optional" beaches - one topless, one fully nude (both manned by a security guard and a fence to keep the perverts out). I found the sand a little coarse and the shoreline was a little rocky (mostly smaller pebbles and shells).

There were 4 pools - the two main ones with a swimup bar just off the main lobby, a third pool with a net for pool volleybar, plus a kiddie pool area. The kiddie pool area, I should add, includes lazy river with tubes and a pretty cool water park with a couple of waterslides - great for kids.

The resort has 4 tennis courts, with lights for night play, although they could stand to be resurfaced, and a club pro who gives lessons daily. I don't know if rackets can be rented.

From the activities area, you can rent snorkel gear (although apparently you have to snorkel on a group outing run by the resort, instead of just going on your own) and I hear the snorkelling is quite good - one of my cousins went and really enjoyed it. You can also get basketballs and other sports equipment, though exactly what kind of equipment I don't know.

In addition, there's a casino (slots and video card games only) and a lounge/pool room that doubles as the disco/night club, a gift shop, the usual various tours and excursions. There's also a daily crafts/trinkets market over by the main stage area, during the day time - you can get some nice sculptures, jewelry, handbags and t-shirts from different vendors, with whom you can haggle.

There's also a spa, which from what my wife tells me, was fairly expensive for the services provided.

Bartenders and front desk staff are generally friendly and attentive, housekeepers do a decent job, but we found that we often had to call the front desk for towels (one day the housekeepers forgot to give us bath towels, another day hand towels, and we never received wash cloths), and often more than once.

Security

The hotel's pretty secure - its fenced all around and the front gate is pretty strict about who they let in. Despite being in the city, its not easily reachable by non-guests, so its pretty safe. Also, being relatively compact, there weren't many spots that you wouldn't see other people at, so safety wasn't a concern on the resort.

Overall Impressions/Vibe

As I mentioned above, the resort is a 3-3.5 star (by Jamaican standards). The resort is reasonably clean, though the rooms are definitely tired and in need of renovation/updating. The grounds are manageable but with the large number of rooms, it can feel crowded at the resort when it busy - the lobby and beach areas in particular always felt kind of crowded. The food is fine, if a little boring after a few days, but it won't make you sick, and quite frankly, was no worse than buffet food I've had at so-called 5 star resorts in the Dominican Republic. There's a good variety of amenities at the resort, including a lot for kids to do.

The key is not to expect too much - don't go in expecting 5 star service or amenities and you'll be fine, and naturally, its priced accordingly. It suited our purposes admirably (i.e. large family gathering) but probably not a place I would stay for vacation if travelling with just my wife. That said, if they reno'd/updated the resort, and improved the buffet offerings, I would definitely rate it higher. Remember, 3.5 star in Jamaica is better than 4-4.5 stars on many other islands.

I hope that's helpful.

Room Tip: The Villa rooms appeared to be nicer than the Tower rooms, but the Tower rooms are closer to the lob...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
17 Thank CAB71
pictou county nova scotia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

very nice would go again. would like to try Negril hear it is very nice. try out the bamboo raft river run just beautiful. it was at the Martha bray river .awsome

Room Tip: you have to ask for ocean front at this resort i had asked for ocean view thinking i would have the...
1 Thank 517connie777
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,175 reviews

Been to Sunscape Splash Montego Bay? Share your experiences!