“Mediocre, but great value.”

Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Ranked #18 of 62 Hotels in Montego Bay
Toronto, Canada
“Mediocre, but great value.”
Reviewed 30 April 2012

I've travelled to all inclusive resorts all over the Caribbean and I have no idea how this resort earned a 4 star rating. By all accounts, this is a 3 star resort... and we probably paid a 3 star price tag so although our price was right, I'm not sure I'd stay here again. We were 3 single girls in our late 20s/early 30s and this is how I'd break down the hotel;

***Rooms*** We were upgraded to a Cabana room on the West Wing, which [location-wise] was great because we only had an Oceanfront tower room booked. So, we were right on the beach and literally a step away from the ocean. BUT, the room was dated, damp, and the bathroom was so gross I almost felt the need to shower in my flip flops. Considering our proximity to the beach, and the abnormal amount of rain we experienced while there, perhaps the dampness was to be expected, but packing a luggage full of damp clothes and and finding damp bills in my wallet upon departure was gross. These rooms were also a spit away from the entertainment area... so if you're a light sleeper brace yourself.

*** Food *** There was nothing special about the food- it was average and the same thing every day. I'd put it on par with Cuba food. We looked every day for Jamaican patties and only found them off the resort and at the airport. The Asian a la cart food was good, although extreamely slow. An 8pm reservation kept us there until 11pm. The Italian restaurant was an insult to Italian food everywhere... I ordered a 'grilled vegetable pizza' and it came with cheddar cheese, carrots, and squash...??? It boggles me how I could have read such positive things about that restaurant on tripadvisor before I left.

*** Entertainment/Night Life *** A few times we requested [Jamaican] songs be played onsite and never had one request fulfilled. So while the onsite entertainment was nothing great, this hotel was great at arranging free shuttles to take us into the local clubs. Pier One on a Friday night was an absolute must... probably my favourite in the entire Caribbean. Although we never took advantage of the shuttles to Margaritaville, we heard that Thursday nights there are awesome tood.

*** Activities *** We enjoyed the water slides daily, and it looks like a great resort for children... However, given that it rained a lot during our stay, there were minimal activites to keep us busy while indoor. Some other 3-4 stars in the Caribbean have game rooms, cards, billiards, etc... but not this one.

*** Staff *** While most provided just average service and disposition, some were downright incompetent. There were two instances where we waited in line at the service area or at check-in to ask a question, have it answered, and then told later by another staff memeber that we were ill-informed. Once was to confirm a check-out time, and the other was to ask if Canadian money was accepted. Both times we were told one thing, and then told it was wrong. After waiting by the poolside bar for 5 mintues, we were asked "are you waiting for something?" by the bartender, only to be told the bar was closed.
On that note, special shout out to Steve, Jordi, and Julian for making our trip memorable.

*** Value *** Overall, for the money we paid, I'm not sure how much we can complain about... We paid a 3 star price and got a 3 star vacation.

Room Tip: The West Cabana rooms are great [location-wise] but bathrooms were gross, my luggage was 3 pounds he...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank FrqntTrvllr

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,422)
  • Polish first
Kalamazoo MI
Reviewed 29 April 2012

At first I was very hesitant on visiting this hotel but choose to do so becasue of all the bad reviews I have seen here about it. As a travel agent it is important that I have a first hand knowledge of the resorts I send my clients to.

Check in:
checking in was not complicated at all. The entire process took abotu 10 minutes seeing that we had arrived at 2:30pm on a friday. My room was not ready, however we were allowed to have lunch and enjoy the facility until our rooms became ready. Be warned that if you loose your room keys there is a $5 replacement charge. If you loose your towel card it is a $15 charge and if you loose the safe key its $100. Be wary of these charges, I think they are unnecessary.

Room:
I was in A912 and the room was very good. I had a great partial view of the ocean. The room was very clean and had the appearance that it was recently painted. The bed was also comfortable. One note, house keeping does a good job at cleaning your room however it may be done late depending on who is working.

Food:
The food was ok. There were days when the buffett was lacking and other days when it was good. Clinton on the omlet station was good. I would rather that they had more Jamaican dishes and a better quality and array of desserts.
The Jamaican Restaurant "Pimento" was good. The food was great, the same for the Asian. For me the best one was the Asian, then the Jerk cafe, then Pimento, then the buffett.
The drinks were also good. I did not have any problems or issues getting my drinks promptly at the bars. They were out of cups a few times but that was it.

Entertainment:
The entertainment is an area where I believe that this hotel must invest significantly in. Firstly there is no disco. This was very dissapointing. They had a sports bar with 2 pool tables and a very small spot to congregate. There was no lighting, no dance floor, no dj. For music the entertainment team would have to bring in their laptop with their music to give the place a good feel. Even thou they try, there is only so much that they can do without the proper equiptment. With so many youg people at the property, it is essential that they invest some serious funds into the entertainment department.
The nightly entertainment was at the stage was ok except for 2 nights out of five. And again I believe that it could have been better if they had the resources to work with. Shout out to the entertainment team that double as DJ's, and to Samantha and Yanique.

Teen/Kids:
This resort has a teen center which I do not believe is utilized properly. It is not widely promoted and does not have much for teens to do. If promoted I believe that both the teen center and the kids center that offers free baby sitting and activities for kids would be a great sell for the hotel.

Water park:
I visited the water park even on a day when the cruise ship guest came in and it was not overwhelming. The hotel clearly makes adequate accomodations for these guests.

Suggestions:
Get a real disco with a DJ. Get rid of the gaming machines and get a real disco.
Have the daily activities shown on a house channel in the rooms.
Promote the teen center and kids club on the website and in brochures
Provide each guest with 30 minutes of free in-room internet daily.
Provide some form of incentives for guest to participate in the entertainment activities. Offer a fifth of rum or 1/2 llb of coffee for participating. This could also be done using Sunset cash, where each guest can cash in 30 Sunset cash that they earn for either rum or coffee.
Have the managers i.e entertainment, food and beverage, bar, house keeping, front desk, guest relations and general manager move around the property and interact with the guest asking how their stay is going. At this time they can ask them to give the hotel a positive review on tripadvisor.

Overall, my trip was a good one. Special thanks to all the individuals who made it special. Special thanks to Renee, Samantha, Yanique, Michael, Kenijah and Antionet Watson.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
15 Thank yardie8860
Reviewed 29 April 2012 via mobile

We stayed at this resort April 15-23. Service was great most of the time. The alacartes were great but our reservation at itailian was an hour late getting in then we did have to grab another waiter and ask if we could be served drinks. Food was great though. We stayed at a resort in negril last year and the entertainment staff there was excellent! We new each of them by name and at this resort i could tell you who was entertainment staff. Other then two nights out of eight of our stay the evening entertainment wasnt worth watching. Dont get me wrong there is alot to do on this resort, if you have kids with u. We didnt have our kids with us and yes there are two adult beaches but no kids free pools or hot tubs. Ever the swim up bar pools were full of kid. One day i counted eight very little kids wearing life jackets in hot tub beside swim up pool. Our room was great! Resort is clean! Staff on a whole were fine. Very safe feeling resort. If traveling with our teenagers we would come back but without children I don't think we would come back to this resort!

• Stayed April 2012
4 Thank loverofjamaica
Iqaluit
Reviewed 28 April 2012

This was my first experience at a resort and being in the Caribbean, so keeping cool was a must. The swim up pool bartenders Wendy and Garcia were so much fun! And at night, the air conditioned bar was great for the younger night life people. Al made sure our party was always fun and the cups were never empty. I can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Rooms in Tower B are probably quieter at night, the band that plays under Tower A can be pretty loud...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Spors
Carlisle, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 27 April 2012

We stayed at the Sunset Beach Resort from 4/20-4/26. The rooms were very disappointing. They were not real clean and the East side rooms are old and outdated. The beds did not have "comforters' and the blankets all had holes in them. The rooms were kept at 66 degrees and you froze every night! We did ask the maids for extra blankets and they were great with responding to our needs. We love going to Jamaica because of the friendly people, but this sure is not true at this resort. Our grandson hurt his knee and the nurse acted like we bothered her for a band-aid! This is the 3rd time we have vacationed in Jamaica but we will not be going back to this resort. I tried to talk to Manager of the resort Mr. Golden but he was never around. I am easy to please and understand that I would not be getting a 5 star but was hoping for some friendly faces. The Beach food area was great but there was a lady their named Benisha? that was the rudest person I have ever met!! We did not allow the staff to ruin our vacation and we love Jamaica. We took our daughter,son-in-law and grandson for the first time and I am sad to see how we were treated because we always told them how the Jamaicans were so friendly. The water park was wonderful and the weather was great. We will be returning to Jamaica but not this resort.

Room Tip: I heard the towers were remodeled but the East and West area's are very outdated.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank Sandra M
MMSunset, Manager at Sunscape Splash Montego Bay, responded to this review, 28 April 2012
Dear Sandra M,

The East side of our hotel (along with Twr A and Twr B) recently underwent a significant renovation in October. Your comments are without merit and contradict that of many repeat guests who appreciate our efforts to maintain our product.... a uniquely Jamaican family resort offering great value to both new and longstanding guests. All rooms have in-room AC temperature controls. Thus, I'm at a loss to hear that we kept the temperature at 66 degrees. Having said that, I must dismiss your comments regarding our staff members whom you chose to name, presumably an attempt to embarass them. Thankfully, I think most Trip Advisor readers can distinguish between reviewers who are unhappy with the hotel, or just unhappy.

Operations Mgr.
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Stayed for 2 weeks with our grandaughter from the 24th March, traveled with Thomsons from Birmingham. Flight and transfer great only 15mins by taxi. The check in was smooth and within 10mins we were in our room.
The room had not got a great view as it was on the second floor overlooking the front entrance and the harbour, had a great view of the crouse ships when they came in, having said this we were only in the room for an hour or so getting ready after spending the day on the beach and the lazy river. The room was spotless from the start to the end of the holiday clean towels when required and sometimes without leaving them in the bath. We always take our own kettle but the one in the room was more than adiquite, only thing missing was a fridge and a bit more clothing space, asked for more cloths hangers as ther was only 4 had to ask twice but no problem got another 10.
The beaches were beutifull and cleaned every day there is a bit of sea grass and you don`t know what you are stepping on so water shoes are recomended if you dont swim over it. The snorkeling was very good we take our own but you can lone them from the beach, the lads will also take you out to the reef and show you where the fish are went once wth them but it felt like a race wwent on our own and took our time realy good. You can get a kayak nearly any time you wanted after half an hour you were ready to bring it back!!! The lads will also take you out on the mini cats can`t think of the name of them but it looked good. There are life gaurd stations but were only maned once when a cruise ship came in for the day which was a little disapointing.
We never used the swiming pools but looked good we went to the lazey river most days for an hour or so the slides were ok as well overall very good.
The food was very good in the buffet breakfast with the fresh cooked eggs and fresh omletts to your liking and plenty of fillings. the bacon wes great as well plent of choice with fruit and pancakes overall very good. Lunch if you were still hungry loads to choose from but if you just wanted a snack next to the pool where the entertainment was is the place to go the jerk chicken and fries were very good and a good selection other food from burgers to toastes. We booked for the a-la-cart Itialian and the Jamacan at the desk in reception no problem. The italian was great and great service the Jamacan food was very good but the service not as good. Never tried the Asian as the wife is not keen on that type of food but we heard from other people that it was very good.
Our grandaughter went to the kids club the second week every afternoon and wished she had gone the first week as well, The staff really look after the kids and make them feel good. She also went onenight for a film show and really enjoyed it we would recomend this kids club to anyone.
The bar saff overall were great we did not have to wait long at any of the bars for a drink.
We did not see much of the entertainment at night as it started about 9.30 to 10.00 PM and we needed to get some rest after a busy day on the beach, when we stopped for a while it was good and the steel band was great. All in all a very good holiday and would recomed this hotel to anyone with kids.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank JIMJOANM
Canada
Reviewed 26 April 2012

My husband and I stayed at this resort April 17-22...we were there for a wedding. This was our third time in Jamaica and both vacations prior were spent at 5 star resorts. Sunset Beach Resort was pretty much what I expected...we were not expecting a 5 star experience, nor did we pay 5 star prices.

There was a room issue when we arrived however I am not sure if that was the fault of the hotel or Sunwing...we are still trying to sort that out. They did send complimentary champaign to our room for the mix up and I thought that was a nice touch. The staff at the front desk were extremely helpful in trying to get the room issue resolved for us. I read some reviews that said the staff at this resort were not friendly or helpful...I find this so hard to believe...all the staff were super friendly, very helpful and extremely hard working! All staff that we spoke with or dealt with were fantastic! The service at this resort is top noch!

The resort is a little run down because it is old. However, it was very clean and well layed out over the property. The rooms were clean and our maid was very thorough. Once we were able to sort out our room issue, we had a Beachfront Cabana room in the West section...we had requested a beachfront room because I would rather not deal with elevators. This room was well worth the extra money! The only small issue we had in this room was hot water and water pressure. Maintenance fixed the hot water issue immediately but couldn't help much with the pressure issue, but we were not too concerned about pressure...not a big deal. We did spend our first night in Tower A on the 6th floor facing the ocean. This room was nice and the view was amazing...if you don't mind the elevator and a bit of noise, stay in the towers. The Beachfront Cabanas were quiet and on ground level or 2nd story.

The food was a bit repetitive, but we certainly did not go hungry. We ate at the Asian, the Italian and the Beach Grill and they were all good. The food was fine.

The beach was rocky, but we are from Nova Scotia...use to that! We did snorkel and it was great...we brought our own snorkel gear. Pools were great too and clean. We even tried the water slides for fun...they were a blast!

We had a couples massage at the spa and it was great...the ladies were thorough and amazing! Staff at the spa were great!

We would probably return to this resort for the right price...

Room Tip: Beachfront Cabana rooms are worth the extra money if you want a quiet room and no elevators.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 62 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,235 reviews

Been to Sunscape Splash Montego Bay? Share your experiences!