“The flagship - the best!”

Sandals Montego Bay
Ranked #9 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
Montgomery, Texas
“The flagship - the best!”
Reviewed 4 April 2012

We have returned now from our 8th trip to Sandals Montego Bay. Everytime I can't think it will get better but it does. The staff are more genuinely pleased to help returning guests than new ones. They all know us by name. It has been fun to watch some of them be promoted through the years like Everton and Robert. Sr staff are the best and we have visited most of the Sandals (all in Jamaica). Much thanks to Dawn, Josef, Mr. G, and all of the butlers because they can tell you I share with every butler! Don't think butlering is snobby. These butlers are professional but personable and they like to have a good time while you are having a good time! We have already booked our next visit - October 2012!!!!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,244)
NE PA
Reviewed 3 April 2012

My husband and I spent 3/17 thru 3/24 in a Bay Roc Villa Oceanfront Honeymoon Veranda Jr Suite w/ Butler. This was our 3rd Sandals Jamaica vacation. This was also the most we spent on one. For that reason alone, I was disappointed in my room. I would not consider it a suite. It was a hotel room, nice double sink area with large closet, then a bathroom with a toilet and generic tub/shower (that completely filled with each shower and no exhaust fan).

We were in the very last building of the property. Room 1901 in bldg 19. Quiet and serene. Bottom floor. We could walk out our door to a small beach. It wasn't large enough to use, but nice to watch and listen when sitting on our patio. The kayak "salesman" were at our pier almost every evening, but far enough away that they didn't bother you but you could walk out and shop if you wanted to. I did buy a couple of items. They are much cheaper than the vendors Sandals allows in a few days a week (not just one day).

Our butlers Andrea and Omar were amazing. Two days they set us up with a reserved spot on the beach (cooler of Red Stripe included), and another day at the pool w/ swim up bar.

The beach is beautiful. The watersports are great. We snorkeled twice with Johnny B and his partner (can't remember his name). They entertained us on the way out and back. We took a hobie ride with Gregory. Awesome ride! Loved Gregory and learned alot about him and the positive employee benefits. We also went tubing on our last full day there. It was fun, although my husband enjoyed it more than I did.

It did take a few days to have our in room fridge/bar stocked with the beverages we had requested. A butler representative from Sandals called our home before the trip to verify our requests. This was a little disappointing that we had to call the butlers several times to get our fridge stocked with what we like. It only had juice, soda and wine when we checked in. We don't drink wine. They also knew this was our anniversary vacation. Neither butler knew this until we told them.

There was a beautiful young girl named Chevelle that made fresh squeezed OJ for my hubby at breakfast each morning in the Bayside. He loved it. She also makes delicious smoothies, which I loved.

Our T/A Ruth@Tripguy.com took great care of all our arrangements for our vacation. She is great.

We spent one day at Sandals RC at the private island. Stayed there before, but now they have a lunch buffet. Jerk chicken & pork. Much less crowded. We checked out the property and improvements since we were there 4 years ago. It is more beautiful than ever. My husband even attended a Jamaican cooking lesson while we were waiting for the next shuttle.

Another day we took the shuttle to the Carlyle Inn in order to walk to the hip strip. We ate lunch at the Carlyle, but were not impressed by the hotel, location or service. Hip strip was ok. Crossed it off the bucket list. Went to Margaritaville and had way overpriced margaritas ($10 each). Don't need to do it again.

Restaurants: People rave about Tokyo Joe's and La Cucina, but the Bayside was my favorite meal. Tokyo Joe's was great and it's fun to watch them cook your meal. Portion size was enormous. La Cucina was ok, but I've had better Italian at home.

Overall, the trip was awesome. I was only disappointed with my room and lack of attention to detail by the management. I do not blame any staff member, but the fact that someone called me at home to ask my requests and they were not passed on to our butlers makes me wonder about the management. The staff are amazing people and go out of their way to make you feel at "home".

I've had four butlers at Sandals. My two favorites were Jackie at SGR and Andrea at SMB.

PROS: Great food, awesome staff. Joseph Smith is the best bartender!

CONS: Room. Waiting for fridge to be stocked.

3 Thank BaileyK
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Everything was great! I was treated like the royal from all of the Sandal's staff. Tipping is prohibited however they deserve everybit of it. My room was tended to twice daily one in mid afternoon and one in the evening to "dress down" the bed for bedtime. The food was great, offering a wide variety. The online brochure mentioned crab legs but the were fresh out of it. One night I had Lamb for dinner and it was tender yet delicious. Dinner on the beach in the evening is picture perfect and a night I will never forget. The live band playing and the sound of other people truly enjoying themselves. The only complaint that I have it the lizzard's "yuk" each night I cam back to my room there was a lizzard waiting near the door. If they could spray something as genearl house keeping that would be awesome. I have a phobia about insects so the pest issue interfered with my sleep "just the thought". Other than that, my room was fantastic along with it's gorgeous view and private balcony. We stayed in the WatersEdge HoneyMoon Suite / March 22nd-25th

Room Tip: Rooms wih balcony's are awesome facing the ocean!
1 Thank kenya l
Longueuil
Reviewed 2 April 2012 via mobile

The Montego Bay resort is fabulous. It is located at about 5 minutes from the airport and you save à lot of time. From the moment you are in the Sandals lounge at the AirPort you don't touch your luggages any more. If you are a returning guest they Know it and tell you welcome back.
We took à Concierge Paradise Walk-out, room 512.
The manager of the concierge Anna-Kay is exceptionnal. She gave us the same room as last year. She was also there at our departure.
We had the priviledge to be be with Mr G. the general manager at the returning guest dinner. He answered all our questions; we have apprciated it.
Everything is professionnal from A to Z.
They probably have the best staff in the Carribean Islands.
Almost all restaurants face the ocean ans are all excellent. Good entertainment. Rooms very clean.
No problems In Sandals Montego Bay. Yeah Mon!

Stayed March 2012
6 Thank BeauDommage
Dartford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2012 via mobile

Just returned from a trip to Sandals mo bay and what a lovely time we had.

We got married there 11years ago and wanted to return!!! The place was just how we remembered it. Book the restaurants early to avoid disappointment. The swim up bar can be really busy and the other pool is used for scuba lessons. They really need to look at adding another pool....

Whilst we was there we did he negril trip and watched the cliff diver at he caves. Took in the shops whilst we was there but once you've seen one shop you've see them all.

Tokyo Joes is excellent food cooked in front of you real experience to be had.

Pizza on the beach excellent, snack bar really good.

Bayside really good.

Well worth the money!

Will return

Stayed March 2012
5 Thank Gilesy0804
North Augusta, South Carolina
Reviewed 30 March 2012

I want to inform the owners and management of sandals that your montego bay staff is the greatest on the PLANET!! I've traveled several different places and stayed at several different resorts and none, NONE are up to the standards as your staff at Sandals Montego Bay! They were professional, friendly and courteous! The only thing that I dislike is how they are disrespected and no one says a thing to anybody who gets out of line in their tone to them. I understand the satisfaction of the guest come first but, the respect of your staff should be an addressed concern as well and I will be looking and listening for how you address this and keep your patrons or guests to treat your staff with much more respect than they currently do!
As for your staff, they were so infuential we took the time to learn them personally and I would like to say the following were GREAT to have around at the resort!
Gerleen and Brandon at your beach side grill were wonderful!
Carlton, Stephen, and Terry Ann were great bartenders!
Marva and Jason were amazing photographers! We spent unplanned money on pictures were never intended purchasing only because of them two!
Rayon from your concierge office was always full of smiles!
Hartlon and Nikki were great in getting us involved in the activities on the resort! They were alot of fun!
Conroy, your wedding help, was extremely helpful and very friendly.
Your security staff was great.
Cherann our housekeeper kept us looking forward to coming back to our rooms and her creativity is amazing!!
And last but now least, Karma and Anna at the gift shop kept us coming back there and spending money because they were extra pleasant to deal with.
Because of the people listed above, we will definitely return to Sandals Montego Bay and suggest the same to our friends, family and co-workers!!

Room Tip: we chose the honeymoon waters edge suite. no we were not on a honeymoon but the view the suite prov...
2 Thank marcus m
Boone, North Carolina
Reviewed 29 March 2012

We have traveled extensively to many five star destinations with our children. We have been married for 19 years and this is our first vacation without the kids. This is also a first to an all inclusive as well as Jamaica. What a great trip!
We were impressed from the moment that we took the short ride from the airport (which was only 10 min drive after the 10 min wait for the shuttle to arrive). Check in was a little slow (15 min max). We did not get the ground level that we requested but was upgraded so it balanced out. The room on the 2nf floor of the bayroc building was great and can not imagine the ground floor would have been better. We had butler service that I think was worth the extra cost. Huts and premium dinner reservations were made for us each day without asking.
The drinks and food were available all day, everyday without extra cost or a tip being asked for or expected. We did not have one bad experience. We did experience total relaxation. I strongly reccomend sandals MB if you are wanting a luxury getaway and are willing to PAY FOR WHAT YOU GET! This is a luxury vacation so expect to pay for the luxury upfront or don't go at all! I do not understand the negative reviews at all. The only thing that I can think of the people writing the neg reviews is that I would not want to vacation with these people!

• Stayed March 2012