“Wonderful Vacation”

Ranked #9 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Beachwood NJ
“Wonderful Vacation”
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Pros: Close to the airport = more time spent on the beach :-) The planes did not bother us at all...I actually enjoyed them..until it was my turn to go home and fly over the resort of course! I felt very sad looking down at the resort as we flew away :-(
Pros: Great food...loved every meal, snack and drink
Pros: Staff all pleasant, helpful and hard working
Pros: Nice, private beach and calm water
Cons: I only have one and it's minor because we really aren't pool people anyway, we spend most of our time on the beach...but the pools were a little too small and the hot tubs not inviting. There was a great hot tub by the gym and we went there a couple of times but I would have also enjoyed spending some time in one with a view of the sunset...but they were very small and looked a little dirty to me.

We were at the resort from March 7th-14th. We flew Jet Blue out of Jfk and Caribbean Air into Jfk home. Both flights went well.

We were upgraded 5 categories from a Bay Roc Jr Veranda Suite to a Presidential Suite room 550 with private Mercedez transfer to and from the resort! The location of this villa is amazing! It is located right in the middle of the resort and just steps from the beach but set back just enough that it is also very private. It has a living room, full liqour pantry, 2 flat screen t.v.'s, ipod docking station, large closet with lots of hangers and large, double vanity with lots of drawers. The only downside to the room is that the bathroom itself does not have a whirlpool tub and seperate shower like some of the Bay Rocs do, and the toilet is in the same room as the bathtub. It also had a bidet.

Our Butlers Tarrick and Renay were great! They really spoiled us!

This is also the first time that we have noticed drink service on the beach. I read that this is fairly new for Sandals and is a much welcomed service!

This particular Sandals had a lot to offer as far as Entertainment goes, definitely one of the more lively Sandals resorts. We have been to Negril, Whitehouse, Antigua, St Lucia Regency La Toc, and Dunns River before it changed hands.

The Spa was wonderful, everyone was very pleasant and the massages were great! They even gave us a couple of free products to try and they weren't trial size..they were large bottles!

We had a great time and would go back again but I still want to make my way through all of the other Sandals Resorts first...next year we are off to the Grande in St Lucia! Any questions, feel free to contact me.

Room Tip: The location of the Bay Roc Presidential Suite #550 was the greatest! If you want a whirlpool tub a...
7 Thank pedinurse

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,274)
Viera, FL

FULL DETAILED REVIEW – sorry if it’s long
First off, we were there from 25 - 31 March for our honeymoon. We stayed in the Honeymoon Grand Luxe Beachfront Concierge Room in the Palms Building (2nd floor - room 622, near the stairwell). We'd never been to Jamaica, so this was a first for us.

Second, I want to give you a background on us so that you can get a perspective of where we're coming from. We're both engineers, 26 and 30 years old, respectively, and we research like crazy. We've read plenty of reviews, looked into all of the other Sandals resorts, and thoughtfully decided on MoBay based on our personal preferences. We don't vacation often, we're not 5-Star people, so we had nothing to compare this to when we got here. We came into this completely open-minded with the other reviewers tips in mind.

LOCATION
The resort is 15 minutes from the airport, if you have a crazy 'bus' driver, it's more like 5-10 minutes. When you land, you can actually see the entrance to the resort from the runway. It's REALLY close. Yes, it is true, you can hear EVERY plane taking off and landing. We knew that before we arrived, so for us, we got over it pretty quickly and participated with the staff in 'waving off the planes' saying good bye to the unfortunate ones leaving beautiful Jamaica. To be honest, you can hear it from the rooms, but for us, it wasn't noticeable, because the initial sound almost comes off as an AC unit turning off after being turned off for a while. It really wasn't bad, and we napped and slept through the sound perfectly fine. As far as location, we actually missed our first bus back to the airport during checkout after a mix up with the concierge desk, but it really wasn't a big deal considering we were only 15 minutes away. Not as convenient for resorts 2-3 hours away.

FOOD
***we booked all of our dinner reservations immediately upon arriving at the resort at the Concierge desk while our room was being prepared; had reservations every night except Monday, due to the beach party

Breakfast
The only place that we went for breakfast was Bayside (buffet style). I know there is a brunch available, in Cucina Romana, but we didn't bother since we wanted a quick breakfast most days. I essentially ate the same thing over and over again, mostly because I am not a venturous breakfast eater. The food was hit and miss depending on the day. However, they do have a cook that can make you fresh eggs if you don't like their buffet style scrambled eggs. I had an omelet every other day from the cook, and my husband tried all varieties of eggs they made and really enjoyed them. I ate potatoes, bacon, pancakes and/or French toast almost every day. Again, some days were great, others, not so much. One day, you could have perfect potatoes, and the next, they are mushy. Hit and miss. But it's a buffet, so if you don't like it, don't eat it, get something else. There was plenty of variety and I had watermelon and pineapple every day.

Lunch
For lunch, there are three options... Bayside (buffet style), Dino's Pizza or the Mariner's Grill. We only ate at Bayside once. Their main meat dish was Jerk Chicken and although my husband adored the jerk chicken, I only liked it enough to have it once, but not every day. The dessert buffet had plenty of choices, and I'm pretty sure I had 4 fruit tarts in that one day. For Dino's pizza and the Mariner's Grill, they were my favorite place to go. The menu is quite small, but we loved it, so we had no issues picking from a small menu. I usually had a slice of pizza as a snack between breakfast and lunch, and then went to the grill for lunch. My husband would either get jerk chicken or jerk pork and I would get a steak quesadilla. We'd share fries. Never tried the burger. A few days, we did order pizza that we shared between the two of us. Really loved the convenience of the Mariner's Grill, and it was outside, right by the bar. I also took advantage of the ice cream machine.

Dinner
Stewfish (Sunday)
Our first night, we ate at the Stewfish. My husband and I picked something different for each course and shared everything. Loved everything we ordered. Of all the reservation only restaurants, this was our favorite. It is on the beach, so make sure to spray your feet with bug spray. Sand fleas and mosquitoes tend to come out at night (didn't have a problem during the day).

Beach Party (Monday)
The beach party was a great place to mingle with other couples. The entertainment was cool, and the playmakers were a blast. However, the food wasn't anything special. They did put out a very cool dessert buffet which is unique to any of the restaurants, but I didn't find them to be very tasty. I think overall, it was much like the lunch buffet at Bayside.

Cucina Romana (Tuesday)
I don't know if it was just us, but the service was very slow when we ate here. I think our server was in a fowl mood that night. Everyone else around us were getting their food before us, but anyone with our server seemed to be empty handed. The food was ok. I really like Olive Garden, so this may sound bad, but I think OG was better than what they serve, so for me, it doesn't mean a lot, but if you think OG is bad, then you may not want to go here. I did have steak for my main meal, and it was pretty good, but my husband felt his meal was average at best. And for some reason, the menu we had was not the same as online. They did not offer a dessert. Overall, the restaurant is pretty, it's 'indoors' but open walls, so you're in the fresh air. I would eat there again, but it definitely was not my favorite.

Tokyo Joes (Wednesday)
So my husband and I enjoyed the soup and appetizer, but the main meal was bland. The way it works is that you order your soup and appetizer, but your main course is a walk-up grill. Once your done with your starters, you go up to the grill, pick out your vegetables for your stir fry and give it to the chef. At that point, you choose your meat (beef, pork, shrimp, chicken). I got beef and shrimp, my husband got chicken and shrimp. If you've ever had Teppanyaki, Japanese cuisine where they cook in front of you on an iron griddle, then this style of cooking is really nothing special. Also, didn't like any of their dessert options, but I think that is just personal preference. My husband didn't have an issue with it. Overall, the restaurant has nice ambiance, it is outdoors, but being Asian, I really did not find the main meal appetizing. Too bland for me. I would not go back unless my husband really wanted to go.

Dinner - Royal Thai (Royal Caribbean) (Thursday)
This night, we took advantage of the stay and play at the Royal Caribbean. The bus schedule transfers and the boat transfer to the island where the restaurant is has a large time difference, so we ended up killing an hour looking around the resort (will review on below). Once we got on the boat, it was fully packed, not enough seats to transport everyone over, but it was cute and romantic nonetheless. As far as the dinner, I did not like any of it! The service was great, the island was beautiful, and the idea was awesome, but apparently I don't like thai food. This review is very biased since I don't like spicy food or anything with curry, so please consider that before reading on. LOTS OF MOSQUITOES. Bring bug spray if you choose to eat here. The appetizer and main course is 'sample' style, so you only choose a soup. I got the 'mild' soup and my husband got the spicy, yet they were both spicy. The appetizer comes out tapas style, 'small bites', one of everything. The meal is similar in which you get 4 plates of food (one of each) that you share. The food was probably great but it was too spicy or had curry, so it was hard for me to enjoy. The food took so long to come out since all of the diners arrives at the same time, so we skipped dessert so that we could get back on the boat and catch our bus back without having to wait an entire hour. Overall, other diners LOVED Royal Thai, and my husband thought it was pretty good, but if you don't like curry or spicy, avoid!
SIDE NOTE ABOUT BUS AND BOAT TRANSFER: the bus transfer from MoBay to RC is on xx:45. So we caught the 6:45 bus. The boat ride to the island is on xx:45 as well, so we caught the 7:45 for our 8pm reservation. The boat ride back is every 15 minutes after dinner is served, so we went back at 9:30p in order to get back to catch the 10:00pm bus back to MoBay. It was a nightmare, and will NOT try Royal Thai again. Not just for the bus, but because I don't like that kind of food.

Dinner - Le Jardinière (Royal Caribbean)
Le Jardinière is at RC and it was our FAVORITE restaurant of our entire trip. Stewfish was our fav at MoBay, but between the two, THIS place is our favorite. Everything on their menu is to die for. It is a French, white glove restaurant, and everything we had was divine. We each got something different for each course so that we could try the full menu, and we loved everything. That's all I can really say. There was nothing bad about it. The service was great and the food was amazing. If we go back to MoBay or RC, we are going to probably make multiple night reservations here, it was that good.

ALCOHOL
The alcohol situation is pretty limited. But, both my husband and I had tested out different drinks on the first day and picked our favorite drinks and just drank those all week, so for us, we LOVED it. The only beer they have is Red Stripe. The wine selection is Beringer and we never tried the 'Manager's Cellar' list, so I can't really provide a review on that. I drank Rum Punch all week and my husband drank Miami Vices (pina colada/strawberry mix) with light rum. Originally, he was getting it with their dark rum (that they heavily push on people), but we found out on the first day that they have a light version of it, so my husband stuck with the light rum the entire trip and loved it. We had a concierge room, so we did have wine and liquor in our room, but we were really only in there for mid-day naps, shower before dinner, and at night for bed, so we barely touched the alcohol in our room. We essentially only drank the soda, water and juice (to keep hydrated). If we wanted a mixed drink, we were in the Palms building, so we would just walk down real quick, get the hook up from our fav bartenders, Keylon and Latisha. It was so close, it was no big deal. Plus, we got to know the bartenders really well on the first day, so we had a tendency to get preference at the bar. I know many other travelers probably hated us for it, but we did this with many of the staff members. *TIP: if you want great service, get to know the staff. Bartenders, servers and the playmakers*

STAFF
We read plenty of reviews before we arrived, so not only did we book all of our dinner reservations up front, but we got to know the staff really well. We got really well acquainted with our fav bartenders, Keylon and Latisha. We also got to know the concierge staff, water sport shop staff, the playmakers and the cooks at the Mariner's Grill within the first few days. When you treat them nice, talk to them like people and not just servants, they remember you and take good care of you! The staff was AMAZING! We played beach volleyball, participated in the activities and so we go to know the playmakers pretty well. We also spent a good deal with our bartenders, getting to know them and them getting to know us by name. Also, since my husband is a scuba diver, the water sport shop knew us well. We also flagged down the photographers whenever we saw them, so they got to know us well and managed to get some great shots from them.

NIGHTLY ENTERTAINMENT
Sunday Night - Fashion Night - This was a pretty awesome way to be introduced to the resort. It was our first night and we had gone into the sky dome where they had live music playing. After that wrapped up, the fashion show started. The playmakers came out and modeled outfits that were sold at the Gift Shop. The music was fun, the playmakers were a blast to watch. They have awesome personalities and it definitely showed.
Other nights included live bands, white night, beach party and some heritage nights. We didn't really participate much, but they were pretty cool to attend and kill time or just relax after a long day. We did a lot during the day with the activities and water sports, so we were pretty chill at night. Mid week seemed a little slow and less ‘party’ like, but overall, they had pretty good entertainment.

3-IN-ONE PLAY-AND-STAY
The only thing we really took advantage of was the restaurants. If you've been reading along, you'll know we tried 2 of Royal Caribbean restaurants. We didn't really take advantage of anything else. One night we did walk around and check out the resort before dinner and realized it wasn't for us. It was definitely more quiet, more private than MoBay. We're not really partiers or club goers, but we are very social, enjoy dancing and love to be out with friends and enjoy a nice drink, so for us, the 'party scene' at MoBay was more our style. Made us realize how great a choice we made in staying at MoBay.

GYM
The gym isn't huge, but it's nice. The equipment is new, and since not many are on vacation to work out, it's never busy. My husband took advantage of it more than I did, but he really like the amenities. Decent amount of treadmills, tvs on each cardio machine and they have free weights and lifting machines if that's what you're into.

SPA
I used the spa and I'm one to get regular massages, so for me, it wasn't anything more than the spa from home. But I know that for some people who had gotten sun burnt, they offered a fantastic skin recovery treatment that a lot of guests raved about. A couple we met on site used that before leaving. I got an 80 minute blissful massage and it was amazing, but like I said, it was no better than the spa I have at home. I may be biased though, because I go to a pretty pricy spa here in Viera, FL. It is definitely much better than your average Massage Envy though. I did purchase their Rose Hip Aloe lotion. It worked wonders for my tan.

ROOM
As mentioned in the alcohol portion, we really only used the room for mid-day naps, shower before dinner and bedtime. We were out and about the rest of the time, so we didn’t spend a ton of time in there. The room was a decent size. It’s smaller than most hotel rooms that we’ve stayed in, but it really didn’t bother us. We could maneuver around perfectly fine, even with our large luggage, so the size didn’t matter. Our room was on the end of the Palm’s Building. Close enough to be in the middle of everything, but far enough from the main beach area that the noise from the Beach Party or music during the day didn’t bother us. You could barely hear it from our balcony, so our room was definitely quiet when we needed it to be. We had a nice balcony and turn down service EVERY night. LOVED the turn down service. Also, at one point, we brought in tons of sand and made a crazy mess of our floor one day, and we kind of ignored it, but by the time we came back, not only did they do turn down service, but they completely swept and vacuumed our mess. :)

SNAPSHOT PHOTOS
We heard about them from a review and even saw them online before we arrived. As soon as we booked our reservations, we booked a photo session with the on-site photographers. Best idea! We took our own photos on our camera, and they came out ok, but the pics the photographers took were way better. They aren’t cheap, but it was nice to have pictures to take home. The appointment was great, because you get to take nice, posed pics. But they are also walking around in the restaurants during dinner, outside during the day on the beach, by the pool, etc, to get pictures while you’re in the water. It’s very convenient and they record it based on your room number. If you don’t like it, you don’t buy, but if you love it, they have many packages. We got the 10 photos, cd and album for $140. I have attached a few of the pics we purchased from the shop on our review.

BEACH
The beach is absolutely beautiful. Coming from Central Florida, their beach is way better than Cocoa Beach. The water was never crowded, and there are plenty of beach chairs. However, if you want shade, it's a little harder to find. For my husband and I, we were at breakfast by 730, and at the beach by 830-9. At that time, there were more available shaded seats, so as long as I went and saved some chairs immediately, it wasn't an issue. Also, in the afternoon, many of the sunbathers have left. They tend to leave their towels, so out of courtesy, ask before you remove, but many times, you can just take the leftover towel off the chair and claim it as your own. There is, however, an annoyance with 'saving' seats early in the morning. Many guests (and butlers) would go down around 7am and place their towels on the seats to save for later. This wouldn't be an issue, except most people never came to claim their spot.... ever, or until noon. So for 5 hours, there were a lot of other beach goers that were without shade because of selfish guests or butlers who saved spots they never intended to use. Advice... go early, or don't be that guy who saves a seat and doesn't claim it for hours. Be respectful to others.

POOLS
As far as pools are concerned, we didn't really use them. My husband swam in one, only for a scuba refresher course, but it was very shallow. 4 feet at most. We spent a lot of time in the ocean (swimming or activities) and so we really didn't use the pool.

WATERSPORTS AND DAYTIME ACTIVITIES
This is probably the best part of the resort. The all-inclusive water sports and activities totally made the vacation for us. Yes, the beach is beautiful, but when we didn't want to relax 24/7, the activities made it SOOOO fun! My husband is a certified diver, so he would go diving. There is a 9am dive and 11:30am dive. All-inclusive, dive gear and all. When he would dive, I would either sunbathe or go to the spa. Most times, at 10:30am, I would join beach volleyball with the other guests and the Playmakers while my husband was still diving. Many times, if my husband got back early, he'd join in volleyball. If we weren't playing or diving, we would sign up for snorkeling, kayaking or a hobie cat (sailing). If you don't know how to do any of it, the water sport shop offers free lessons for sailing, wind surfing or paddle boarding. They also have water skiing, tubing and knee boarding, but when we finally went to try it, the boat wasn’t working and we ran out of time the rest of the week. Looked awesome!

DUNN RIVER FALLS
This is separate from the resort, but it is the one and only tour we did. We got it as a gift on our honeymoon registry, so that's why we did it. It was the best idea ever! The bus ride is long, 2 hours, to Ochos Rios. But the tour is awesome. The water is freezing, and at first, the idea of holding strangers hands seemed strange, but by the time you get there, you've gotten to know your tour group pretty comfortably, and so it's really not bad. In many cases, it was helpful to get up the rocks. I would recommend it to everyone!!! Best tour. I know other couples who did other tours and thought this was the best of them all. The falls are beautiful and the experience is so unique. If you do go, watch out for the venders, they ask you for your name as soon as you step off the bus and start carving your name into wooden tikis in hopes of forcing you to buy it. Pretty shady, but a polite 'no thank you' is all you need. Also, bring a tip, for the bus driver, bus tour guide and water fall tour guide. Oh, and bring water shoes!

OVERALL
Overall, we LOVED the resort! We loved the staff, we loved the activities, we enjoyed the food, and definitely the drinks. We were busy every day, but also relaxed a ton too. Never thought we could be so active and so rested at the same time. One of the best and most fun weeks of our lives. It was an amazing way to celebrate our marriage. We’re already looking into going back again for either my birthday or our first anniversary. Can’t wait to go back!!!

Room Tip: Check the map before you book your room. Know where you are staying before you arrive. If you do con...
6 Thank Erica G
Miami
Reviewed 10 April 2012

My husband and I decided we wanted a tropical getaway for our honeymoon. I had several friends and family who had gone to Sandals for theirs and highly recommended it. We decided on the Montego Bay Resort because of the feed back and wonderful location.
We were NOT disappointed!
We stayed for a week and trust me, after being pampered the way we were we did not want to leave.
We stayed in a Bay Roc Villa Suite and we had two WONDERFUL Butlers.
Trudy Ann and Ordel. If you go to Montego Bay Sandals please request them. You won't be disappointed. They truly made out stay unforgettable. I loved the Resort and I LOVED the food, but it was the exceptional service and attention to detail that made our stay so wonderful.
Sandals also has an entertainment staff called the PLAY MAKERS. They were phenomenal!
They truly kept us entertained. Every last one of the them had us laughing and having fun. Plus they learn your names and get you involved in the games and activities.
Also, we has a wonderful photographer named Jason who captured wonderful memories for us. And Briana in the photo shop helped us pick our perfect photo package.
The ladies at the excursion desk where also very friendly.
All in all the place is breathtaking, but the staff makes you feel at home.
It was truly an IRIE (which means a state of no worries and total peace in Jamaican) vacation!

Missing them already.
-Patricia Wells

Room Tip: Rooms that offer a Butler are worth every penny!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank PatricianCameron
Plattsburgh
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Our initial impression was disappointment when the room we booked was not available and we were given a so-called upgrade to a room with no balcony or direct access to the beach. This was corrected on Day 2 but we had to live out of our suitcase for 24 hours. The staff however were great and our butlers, Carleen and Everaldo, made the entire week most enjoyable. I require a gluten free diet and the butlers arranged for me to meet with the head chef who, along with his sous chef and other staff, personally went over each meal's menu on a daily basis and made recommendations and adjustments, even preparing an original dessert for me! For those who travel and require a gluten free diet, you can't find a better place to go! The food in general is fantastic and the drinks were good and plentiful. The grounds were beautiful, very clean and well maintained. The couples massage at the spa was totally relaxing and a great first time experience. The location is a little too close to the airport, but after a few days, you barely notice the sound of all the jets taking off. The evening entertainment was mediocre overall with a few nights more enjoyable than others. They have the friendliest staff we have ever encountered at a resort. We had a great time and would certainly consider returning.

Room Tip: We highly recommend a butlered suite. They provide exceptional sevice.
4 Thank Denise P
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed 10 April 2012

We went to Sandals Montego Bay in January of 2011 for a friends' wedding and it was a blast. The staff was beyond friendly and went out of their way to talk with you or hang out. We did quite a bit of snorkeling and water sports seeing as how the weather was beautiful and the water is crystal clear. The wedding itself was great and everyone enjoyed themselves greatly. We'd go back for sure!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Newark, Delaware
Reviewed 5 April 2012

First, let me begin by saying that everyone states how great this resort is.."so close to the airport"..."so convenient"...Look, if you're already traveling 4 hours from the States, what is one more hour in order to have peace and quiet and an upscale atmosphere while spending lots of money to do so? Literally, the resort is adjacent and parallel to the RUNWAY for Montego Bay. You can see the faces of people in the windows as the planes take off. The staff at the resort, in a friendly attempt to make the take offs lighthearted events, all wave with each plane..which is cute, but wow.... Way too noisy and close to the airport for my tastes. For anyone who has never been to a really beautiful resort before, I am sure that this will tick all of the boxes. If you are an experienced traveler, you will know better.
That being said.
I had booked my room months in advance and paid well. During the interim, apparently Sandals had put their rooms on a "better sale" and did not tell me. Therefore, people who paid less actually had better rooms. Instead of upgrading me (as they should have) they sold the "better, sale " rooms to others. My room was tiny, no butler, no bar, no room service...and yet I paid more than others who were receiving this service. Furthermore, my description of my room stated that I had a mini bar. Yet, there was none. I complained. Mr. Gee, the Sandals manager did see to it that I received 1/2 of a mini bar (although I paid for a whole mini bar) and room service. So, that was some consolation..and he was very nice.
The resort was full when we arrived..our room was in the SeaGrapes building, close to the end of the runway. (I believe room 1001 or 1010..can't remember). So we were hungry. We went to make reservations only to be told that the restaurants we wanted were full. Really??? I just arrived and it's difficult to get reservations for my five night stay? Such crap.
That's ok, because the food was just as crappy. We had one good meal in the YOU CAN NEVER GET INTO IT.... "OLEANDER ROOM"..there was never enough room or time to get into this restaurant, despite how long we waited...we only had one meal here..and we tried virtually every night. The beach barbecue offered consistent burgers , fries, nachos, etc. and was actually the best meals that we had besides the Oleander Room. Breakfast consisted of runny/wet/powdered scrambled eggs and had little variety from day to day.
The staff were all lovely. Everyone was friendly, drinks were good. Loved the Piano Bar. The Pub Restaurant was pretty tasty too.
The resort is more lively than other quieter resorts ie shows, competitions,etc. These were very good and kudos to the entertainment staff. Actually, the entire staff were all very nice...and I find once again, the Jamaican's to be a warm and friendly people. The grounds were lovely and the flowers beautiful.
I hate that I'm complaining...afterall, it is Jamaica...blue sky, blue water, flowers, trees, birds..how can one complain in paradise?
Well, I suppose, I can and am because I feel I did not get what I paid for.
The resort is expensive...considering what is received. I am a Sandal's Select Member and usually stay at Royal Plantation when I come to Jamaica. For a few hundred dollars more and an hour longer ride, you can truly stay at an awesome, romantic, quiet resort which actually has room for you in its restaurants...where the food is good and you don't have to eat a burger in order to say that. Next time, this will be my choice should I return. I truly wish that I could get a refund. I feel that I wasted my money.

Room Tip: Choose a room at another resort if you want romance, quiet,
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank faithd58
SRICS, Manager at Sandals Montego Bay, responded to this review, 19 April 2012
Warm greetings from Sandals Resorts International! You are very important to us and we welcome the opportunity to speak with you. Please e-mail us at (customerservice@sandals.com). We look forward to hearing from you. Warm regards.
Uxbridge, Canada
Reviewed 5 April 2012

We are seasoned travelers to Jamaica and have been to many all inclusive chains so are familiar with the no tipping policy, the room service excellence, fantastic food and wonderful staff (the people are what keeps us returning year after year). We just recently tried the Sandals chain (2 in St. Lucia and Sandals Negril). Our 4th trip to a Sandals (2nd in Jamaica) we eagerly booked Sandals MoBay in the Bay Roc Suites with butler service as a special treat. We had noticed the butler service in Negril and were impressed. Our arrival on a Thursday was wonderful as we were whisked away from the airport in a private car. Upon arrival we were immediately taken to our room (no welcome champagne or towel and I think that's part of the experience) . The one room I specifically asked not to be in (in the Bay Roc group of suites) was assigned to us. Our butler had it set up so nicely but could clearly see my disappointment when I realized I was right by one of the pools and the pool bar (which was an open air bar at night). The room was so small that you had to move sideways (and we are small people) to get between the dresser with TV and the bed. The full length mirror was in open sink area in the room in a dark corner across from a bar set up. No lighting above and you really were so close to yourself... it was comical. We were not offered to change rooms even when I asked, another room was not presented to us, I even called and spoke to a manager at the front desk and politely requested another room and was told there were none. It was September 2010 and they were not full as it is off-season. The air conditioner was noisy and broke twice and the repair men on there second visit left a wonderful treat of a half smoked joint in our room. Part of being in the Bay Roc area is that you get a private beach in front of each section of the villas in this area. Your butler reserves your lounges for you each morning (nice touch) but....if you don't use your chairs, the area is not exclusive and other guests are allowed to come down to the private beach areas. While this may seem fair, there is a big difference between paying 3,000 for a week and 8,000 dollars for a week and I think a bit of exclusivity would have been nice. We had a walkway from our room to the beach area and these guests would come each morning and park there chairs in front of the walkway, I'm not kidding you had to walk on the grass and cross over the ledge to get to the beach because of their chairs. The butlers did not deter this behaviour so it continued for the rest of the 10 day vacation. There were wasp nests in the tree above where our loungers were and nothing was done about this. Wasps were flying everywhere and when we showed the staff, their response was "yes, there is wasps in the trees" like I was trying to validate what type of insect it was. The butler service was predictable. Our friends had arrived before us and also had Butler service and they have a daily model, flowers in the room, sparkling wine in a bucket with candles at night, bubble bath drawn as a surprise again with pedals all over the tub. We spent a good portion of our time in our room picking up petals from flowers. Some may like that sort of thing, I just thought it was cheesy. The food was good and the wait service truly amazing. We saw a tour of travel agents go through and were being told that the open air restaurant was were they served fresh lobster and crabs!! We laughed at that, we had been there for 8 days at that point and never ever had seen lobster or crab on that menu. The menu was fine, but it was funny to hear the schtick. They also had a photo shoot while we were there in the room beside us. They brought in special table cloths (coloured), we never got a table cloth with room service breakfast or dinner unless we requested it (and it was white). They had champagne in a bucket (we never saw any of that either, only sparkling wine from the same year of our visit - a great photo) and they brought in a flat screen tv (we had a regular one) and a brand new ceiling fan and side table!! all for the shoot for the magazines. We look forward to Appleton rum when we are in Jamaica as it is the Jamaican rum. They only served Guyanese rum and did not offer Appleton even in the bars (you could pay for it at the gift shop). They said it was an effort to allow their Caribbean neighbours the exposure and they don't serve it in any of the Sandals resorts in Jamaica anymore. I think it was just being cheap. The maid service was amazing, they were so kind and polite and did a tremendous job getting up all the flower petals. Well as I imagined.... the open air bar at night was so loud with the stereo on to much music or something like that (don't get me wrong, but I came to Jamaica for the Jamaica vibe). The music was so loud it could be heard clearly in our room with the doors and windows closed, not good if you're getting up early for a tour. Anyway, I just think the location by the villa rooms, could have been a closed / indoor air conditioned set up so it wasn't disruptive to other guests. Believe me, I was not the only one who was affected by this. I was truly disappointed and thought that as 4 time guests we would have received some type of room upgrade (as they often talk about on their site when you become a "Sandals Select" guest member) - but we were not afforded this. Anyway, of course I'm returning to Jamaica this year because it is my favorite island, but am going to a different chain (one that has yet to disappoint), more lush in it's landscaping and intimate rooms away from the main pulse of the hotel (it's a choice and nice to have one).

Room Tip: Don't pick a room near the pool bar by the Bay Roc suites if you want to have a romantic night i...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
14.1 km away
Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
87.2 km away
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort

Been to Sandals Montego Bay? Share your experiences!