“its worth it for price and u r not a Queen”

Doctors Cave Beach Hotel
Ranked #38 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Columbus, Ohio
“its worth it for price and u r not a Queen”
Reviewed 30 November 2011

ok for price, was clean and its right on strip close to everything, but could use new mattresses, was out dated and looked better on website ! but its what u make of it ! we had left another place cause we decided to extend r visit to see jamaica, it was close to airport !!!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sonyacm

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed 29 November 2011

The time of my life. This hotel is on what they call the Hip Strip and is well worth the $. It doesn't come with all the amenities as a 5 star hotel but if you are trying to party with locals and really enjoy Jamaica not a resort in Jamaica then I would most definitely recommend this hotel. And of course, you can walk to Sumfest.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 1st floor. First time to Jamaica so we brought lots of luggage with us. Please be a...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank KishaJones
New York City, New York
Reviewed 18 November 2011

I stayed here in November 2011. The first room they gave me had a throw over cover that smelled so badly of body odor and cigarette smoke I immediately threw it off the bed. They have a full restaurant which serves breakfast but no lunch or dinner so you have to go out and find that yourself. I went to the shop and bought a bottle of juice, finished it, closed the lid and left it on the dresser as I watched a T.V show.
30 minutes later I got up to unpack and throw the bottle away. I reach for it and to my horror on looking down the whole bottle as well as the dresser was almost black with tiny ants crawling over it. Horrified I immediate went to the front desk and demanded they spray the room and move me

. They moved me to another room which had a kitchen and living room. On entering the man from the front desk proceeded to go straight to the electrical cooking appliances, moved them and looked behind them. I work in real estate and knowing electrical appliances and watering areas such as sinks and baths are preferred by certain household vermin I asked him if the room had cockroaches. He replied no. Instead of looking behind the appliances myself for signs of traps or insecticide I took his word for it, unpacked and proceeded to turn on both the noisy air conditioner and T.V.
WIthin 10 minutes later I could hear a scratchy fast running noises and switched everything off to investigate where it was coming from. It sounded like small baby mice or a large cockroaches. I followed the noise to the kitchen and lo and behold a huge cockroach ran up the wall from under the sink to the slatted blinds and then across the wall towards me.

Horrified again I went down to the front desk and freaked out. A new front desk guy followed me back upstairs to investigate insisting I must be wrong. I asked him if the hotel had cockroaches and he said yes but you'll get cockroaches and ants in every hotel you stay in the area. We got into the room and he insisted there was nothing there. Just then the cockroach ran out across the door heading for the floor. He stepped on it and kicked it out into the hall. Another roach ran back under the sink. That was all I had to see. I packed my things and insisted I was not going ot sleep another day in that room. He offered me another room I told him to forget it and that I was going ot sleep downstairs int eh lobby and in the morning I wanted to see management. The next morning the manager tried to tell me some b.s insisting that every hotel there had a cockroach infestation. HE went from that to asking me not post anything about this on the web, to offering me bribes and eventually to offering me a refund which I accepted.

I spoke to an old couple who lived there who told me that only one wing of the 3 wing hotel was actually open. The hotel insisting it was being remodeled but they said it was closed because they were not getting enough customers and how it had gone drastically downhill in upkeep since 4 years ago.

My conclusion is that this hotel is vastly overpriced. For $40 less I stayed at the Caribic House for 3 nights beforehand which was cleaner, had a pvt outdoor seating area with sea views, larger bathroom and no roaches. For $40 more I took my refund and moved to an all-inclusive Hip Strip hotel nearby which had immaculate waterfront views, private beach and stunning room and amenities.
I would never recommend Doctors Cave Beach Hotel to anyone. I noticed that after I booked they told me that they may have the same name but are in no way affiliated with Doctors Cave Beach across the street so would still have to pay $5 to go there.

I also am not interesting in being accosted by staff of the opposite gender asking if I needed them to tend to any of my needs at bedtime and if I'm married. Very unprofessional. I did not come to this hotel to be harassed and asked personal questions.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Backpackerlife

Travellers are raving about these Montego Bay hotels

Hinesville, Georgia
Reviewed 5 November 2011

This Hotel has a quaint homely feeling to it, which was perfect for me as returning resident. Some of the friendliest staffs, who are always more than happy to help in any way they can. Perfect location just a stone's throw from some of the best beach in Jamaica, and the hip strip. With clean spacious apartments at very reasonable price, this hotel and its staff made my trip home a memorable one.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Alvin C
new york
Reviewed 4 October 2011

I would not recommend it to anyone this hotel have no restaurant on site even though they say one was on site, also the beach is not on site its like 10 minutes away just a lousy place very spooky and rundown needs a complete renovation, no activities at the hotel you have to go outside to get food, that's just not good, the sheets are dirty, the pillow cases are dirty, the rooms smells terrible, the refrigerator and microwave old and dirty this place on a scale of 1-10 is a "0" they should consider closing it down.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank mariebrooks10466
Hollywood, Florida
Reviewed 23 August 2011

The sad part of the story about the unreliable wifi in the lobby is that management could care less and shows no regard for guest satisfaction. It's all about the Mighty Dollar. I would rate it a 2 star. It's clean, but a bit dated and the television had no remote. Also, there's no balcony. The a/c in the bedroom had to be turned on full blast to feel cool in the living/kitchen area. The Manager/Owner sames to hide out all day long, instead of mingling with the guests that are keeping his doors opened for now. I doubt I will revisit unless there is guarantee that internet works in the room.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank SweetS232
Springfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed 2 May 2011

Nice humble hotel. Not a five star but ok. If you are in Jamaica to enjoy Jamaica and not stay in your room all day then this is a good place to rest your head for the next day. I think you will like Kevin the bartender (before and after drinks :) ) Breakfast and dinner was great. Front desk not as friendly as Kevin but nice. Yes room and hotel needs remodeling but clean. I stayed garden side (I think the room facing pool would probably be loud from bar music and street traffic at night) and next time would ask for a room with private balcony .Gym poor, beach walking distnce

Room Tip: Garden side with private balcony
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple