“Beautiful Resort and Great Staff”

Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Ranked #11 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Toronto, Canada
“Beautiful Resort and Great Staff”
Reviewed 28 April 2012

Went to Secrets St James as a part of a business event and would recommend this resort to anyone traveling as a couple (of course it is advertised as a couple resort). The resort is beautiful and well laid out, although the beach itself is a little small. The staff were incredibly friendly and every single one of them went above and beyond to be helpful. Every night there was entertainment and although it wasn't always the best they did offer something for everyone. My only complaint was with the food which was sometimes hit and miss. There were plenty of activities for everyone and the property was very well maintained. I would definitely come back to this resort with my wife.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,348)
  • Czech first
Maryland
Reviewed 27 April 2012

It was our first time to Jamaica for some much needed R & R. From the moment we arrived, we were greeted with "Welcome Home". At first, I thought that was a bit much but the staff at St. James went above and beyond. Marlon, Billy, Charlene (Jada Pinkett-Smith's look a like) Natalya, Stanley, Orlando (little song bird) and Blue Mountain's Charlene and Hitmitsu's Marlon and The Bourdouex's Orville made our stay one that we will never forget. Here are a few things to consider: The Preferred side was more peaceful. It was away from the crowds and the entertainment. The food is just "ok." Therefore, when dining at the restaurants, ask the servers what they recommend. I found that their recommendations was always on point and the food was more enjoyable. Also, make sure you get some jerk chicken from the "Jerk Man" it was very good. The Hot Stone massage was to die for, especially after a trip to Dunes River Falls. If you have never done Dunes River Falls, wear a pair of shorts over your swim suit and invest in a water proof camera. I highly recommend this resort and can't wait to return to see my extended family at Secrets of Saint James.

T. Sparkman - Maryland

Room Tip: Rooms, beach and pool area on the preferred side is very peaceful Higher floors have a better view...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank T S
staten island NY

WONDERFUL WONDERFUL !
My husbsnd and i have traveled to many places , and Jamaica's Secrets resorts and spa is one place I will return to over and over again , It is true, what they say once you go u know. The Staff greets u with these words. Welcome home ! and it is home to us . The staff is exellcent, (especially Devon one of the managers, Simone at the pool cocktail services, Hopeton The Bell Hop , Billy Love another manager , ) these are just of few people that made our stay soooo
wonderful

Room Tip: I would like to have an early continental breakfeast , Instead of certain sections of the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
md
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Having been to many all inclusives in DR , Mexico and Jamaicia this was by far not our favorite. Don't get me wrong the staff is wonderful and accommodating. We have never complained before and always wondered why some people did. However, the food at all places was not very good.Not a lot of lunch choices and didn't care for dinner. We had room service breakfast which we could say was the best. The drinks are warm. One day we left our room service on the back patio housekeeping did not come so there were bugs al in the drinks they entered the room all the way to the bathroom. Most of them were dead because I guess they must have inhaled the spray they use periodically to deter bugs.We had to call for housekeeping (also housekeeping never showed up the day before!) when they came they left the glasses with the bugs in them in the secret room service door! Disgusting! The air conditioner never felt like it worked so it was always humid. When our friends room their air conditioner did work.The bed had dips in it and both my husband I felt crippled getting out of bed. Everyones beach chairs are so close to you you are practically on top of each other.The grounds crew decides to weed whack, mow the lawn and use the blower right in the morning or middle of day.I am only writing this so that it may help the organization to improve on some items.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank summermd
Vancouver, British Columbia
Reviewed 26 April 2012

After much deliberation on location, and then hotel we finally chose to spend our Honeymoon at Jamaica (St. James Montego Bay) on July 14 - 23/11. We stayed in the St. James Preferred Club Oceanview Suite on the fourth floor. The time we spent at the St. James was truly beyond any expectation. The grounds of the hotel were so beautiful. The staff were SO friendly and helpful it was incredible. From the front desk staff (Preferred Club) to the cleaning staff, everyone treated us amazing. I have heard that food at some all inclusive resorts can be less than desirable but this was the farthest from the truth at this resort. We were totally blown away by how good the food was. Maybe a little too good as we managed to gain a few lbs in 10 days. Ha ha ha. We also enjoyed the entertainment and the ping pong tables a lot! There is a tennis court although was too hot and sweaty to play. The spa was great, it helps having the discounts with the preferred club, as like many resorts, the prices at spa will a little pricey. However, with the preferred club there is a complimentary spa package included! The beach was great, the water FANTASTIC! The time spent at this resort will keep as some of our most precious memories. We look forward to returning in the future, and plan to for our 5th wedding anniversary without any deliberation this time!

Room Tip: Preferred Club, yes significantly higher in price, however IT IS WORTH IT.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Ft Lauderdale
Reviewed 26 April 2012

WOW!!! What can I say about Secrets…. AAAAAmazing !!!!
I am a vivid traveler, and been living out of hotels for some time now (LOL). Recently my employer assigned me a project on the island of Jamaica. This was not a problem since I have gone to the island several times before. Usually when I am deployed to a job, I am place in hotels based on the job site. Nine times out of ten I am placed in a high end hotel, however there are few times that I have been placed in what is known in Jamaica as a Guest house (cant say I like those jobs).
Well, a few weeks ago I went to Jamaica for a job. The job got assigned to me about twenty four hours before departure, unfortunately I was not told about the hotel accommodations until landing in Jamaica. I was told that I would be staying at Secret St. James. Being judgmental, I immediately started to think this was going to be a guest house that clearly reminds me of a Motel 8. I have never heard of this chain of hotel ever in my life, hence the term “Guest House”.
After arriving at the complex, I was amazed at what I saw; a beautiful an elegant hotel. Between getting from the airport transportation to the room accommodation, I had experience a world of customer service that was indescribable. I had totally forgotten that I was on an assignment.
Arriving at my room, opening the door and seeing the room for the first time was like taking in a breath of fresh air. The room was clean, presentable and very welcoming.
Another plus for the hotel, was that it is an All Inclusive hotel. OMG !!! Man there was a never ending supply of everything … Too much to go into …
However, the staff was amazing. No matter who I ran into, everyone was eager and willing to assist me in any way that was possible. Talking about customer service, after a few nights of in house activities and parties, I wanted to go beyond the edges of the hotel. I wanted to go experience the night life in the town, so I hit up the front desk and WOW. I was so impressed with the professionalism of the agent. She made sure that I left and return with no worry in the world. And even after returning, they verified that I was ok. What can I say, It felt like home away from home and the staff felt more like family.
Big shout out to all the Secrets staff members, but a special shout out to Ms Shanique (sorry forgot her last name). But WOW what an agent. Courteous, polite and willing are just some of the words I would use to describe her attitude and attentiveness.
The only one issue that I had with the whole experience was the food. UMMMMM… yeah…. It wasn’t bad but one of the reason why I had decided to venture outside the Secrets parameters was to have dinner. If they can get the food right then GOSH, I do believe that they would be more popular as the other hotel chains.
But “All ‘n’ All” I gave this experience a two thumbs up.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Leo's S
marlton
Reviewed 26 April 2012

We just returned from Secrets St James a few days ago. There was absolutely nothing to complain about. Our room had a gorgeous view on the fifth floor. It was cleaned and new towels were left every day. Turn down service was never missed. We enjoyed and highly recommend the Champagne breakfast in your room. We liked the Himitsu, Bordeaux and Portofino restaurants the best. We recommend the outdoor seating while the entertainment is on . It is a little cooler and the acts offered during our stay were a perfect compliment for the meal. I think we only waited one night and it was about 10 minutes. The piano bar folks kept us comfortable while waiting. We met a few nice couples to spend time with around the pool or at the beach. There were plenty of activities to participate in if you choose, but no pressure to join things. There were photographers about that offer to take your pictures. Some people didn't want to take advantage of it. However, we also ran into many couples who do not have many pictures of the two of them together on vacation because they were only traveling in a party of two and the opportunity of getting dressed up for dinner and having your photo taken with the unbelievable sunset was appealing. We snorkeled and tried a few water motor sports. We took a trip to White Witch to golf. Mostly we just relaxed and enjoyed the beautiful view and properties of Wild Orchid and St James. I really wish I could name each member of the great staff that support the whole organization. We had NO bad experiences with any staff member. Whatever your needs...it is their pleasure. From check in to check out, we were so impressed by their pleasant nature and eagerness to please. Do yourself a favor and try Secrets. We have stayed at Wild Orchid and St James and love them both. Highly Recommended!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
0.3 km away
Breathless Montego Bay Resort & Spa
21.4 km away
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa

Been to Secrets St. James Montego Bay? Share your experiences!