“A great way to relax.......”

Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Ranked #11 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 4 October 2012

This was a very enjoyable way to spend a few days. Highlights included:
PRO
*welcoming check -in staff at Preferred desk
*we stayed in Preferred Jr Suite 4407 & it was nicely appointed & very clean
*Meals were amazing & authentically Jamaican - from jerk pork from a cart to fresh chopped water coconut it enhances the beach experience
*Im sure the entertainment was great but we only stayed for 15 minutes of one of the live shoes & she could really sing
*beach & pools & general property were very clean. Even after heavy rain it was pristine
*service was genuine & friendly versus some places where it seems scripted or forced
*its located away from all the mega resorts so feels very secluded with a lovely inlet setting for sunsets
CONS
*We stayed in the St James side & all restaurants were in the Wild Orchid side so it required some walking. Not great in the rain but not too far otherwise.
*room service menu is a little limited but food was fine
*tipping/ gratuity is a little confusing & we couldn't get change except at the Cambio

I'd recommend anyone stay here! I'll certainly be back!

Room Tip: Stay on the secrets st james side
2  Thank ShonetteHC
Write a ReviewReviews (6,627)

Reviewed 3 October 2012

I just came back from 5 days at this resort.
The good: the grounds are beautiful and the water is clear and calm and the beaches weren't too crowded. The romantic dinner was nice although we had to ask for the tikki torches that was supposed to be set up beforehand.
The bad:
1.) our room was not clean when we arrived. We had to call twice for them to come change the bed sheets and comforter. It was dirty with some sort of brown stains. Then throughout our stay... Some days, our room would be cleaned when we came back from the beach in the afternoon and some days, it was still the same! And towels weren't replaced.
2.) the mp3 dock didn't work and our remote didn't work. It took them almost 1 day for them to bring a new remote. The bathrobes that should have been in the room, it took us two days from the time we asked for it to get it.
3.) the food was so mediocre. Breakfast buffet was the same thing every day. Lunch and dinner was bad as well. At the restaurants, there was only about 4 or 5 different entrees to choose from. No seafood or steak or pork chops or anything like that to eat. Wait there was steak... From room service - haha. That was a piece of frozen meat. The only good food there was that jerk chicken from the stand.
3.) service was so-so. Most of the staff are not friendly at all. Oh and if you're Asian, be aware - they are very very ignorant. There were a couple workers that were pleasant and always say hi how is your stay when they walk by you. But some don't even acknowledge you, even if you're waiting around for service, especially at the front desk.
4.) room service took over 1 hour. And also our romantic dinner - we were suppose to meet our server at 6:45pm and we went to the spot that they told us to wait, and we waited until 7 and no one came. We had to search for someone to ask. And when we found someone they blamed it on the weather and that they were still setting up. We paid all of this money and they made us wait without any notice that it will be a late. For the price paid, I would expect at least send someone to meet us at the spot and let us know what was happening.
5.) excursions - don't waste your time and money going outside the resort. The tour guides beg for tips and make up stories.

if you're still deciding to head to this resort, brings lots of tip money because they all expect a tip even though its all inclusive and even though they didn't do anything extra for you, they expect a tip.

• Stayed: September 2012
9  Thank zhuzhujin
Reviewed 3 October 2012

My husband and I went to the secret St-James on september 15th for a week....not enough! We didnt want to leave, the resort is nice, the staff is always in a good mood and always please to fulfill your every needs. You are treated as king and Queen, very respecful and genuine people.

Our room was nice and fairly clean, I'm very picky so I had to call them a few times but they were always nice and made sure we had what we want.

The food was good, we almost had jamaican food all week and no complain. I dont go to Jamaica to eat Italian or Japanese ...so I wouldnt be able to say if it was nice cause didnt try. A lot of retaurant to choose from so you wont go ungry. And please try that Jerk center call Scotchies....amazing, it's local but wont regret it....nice backyard. Have to try pepper pot soup, festival, jerk chicken, bamy and the bread fruit yammi!

Always clean beach towel available, you could go as many times as you want.
The beach is not very long so if you want to take long walk....its a bit of a problem.
Around the pool its always full because of the activities. Didnt really like the shows but it wasnt very important for me cause we went to different places like Pier 1, Negril and Rick's Cafe....you have to go there....you could go swim in the cave with this guy call ICE or watch the sunset, everything about that place is beautiful.

I would recommand that hotel, no doubts...We meet great people that was also on vacation and the people working there like Natalia at the reception, very helpul, Shelly ann at the bar, very sweet, Geoffroy at the bar as well, always smiling....and Michelle at the restaurant so nice...thank you guys for making our vacation very special.
I love Jamaica and I will return... Lori and Fitz

Room Tip: You have to choose the suites thats on the corner to have a better view of the ocean, right infront.
1  Thank Lorraine B
Reviewed 2 October 2012

My wife and I just returned from Secrets St James, and we absolutely loved it. The staff and servers were all great, and treated us great. Spent 80% of the time at the pool, and I have to give a shout out to Karen and Rodney for keeping the drinks flowing. I'll give another shout out to Kiki, Inch, and many others for keeping things lively. Nightly entertainment was also very good.

The restaurants were good. I have no complaints about anything we ate down there, and the service was excellent. Some people complained about the walk from St. James to the restaurant, and to them I say a little exercise never hurt anyone. It's maybe a 3 minute walk if you go out the front.

Our room was very nice. We had no troubles with AC or anything else for that matter.

Only small complaint we had was at check in as things seemed to be unorganized. Other than that everything was spectacular. I definitely recommend going to Secrets St. James.

Room Tip: I do recommend getting a room on an upper floor.
1  Thank Steven W
Reviewed 2 October 2012

Was pleasantly surprised a what a nicely decorated, friendly staffed, especially the front office staff and restaurant, comfy beds and yummy breakfast this turned out to be, I will definately stay here when visiting my daughter again.
Had the pleasure of a room facing the ocean, rooms , grounds, and bathroom are very clean and the lovely bellman marlon who took time out to make sure I had a great stay.
Keep up the good work Secrets St.James.. see you soon.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 October 2012

Our suite was very well appointed clean,the room was also very quiet.The staff is considerate and professional. We ordered room service once and the server was fantastic.
Great shopping, dining and location, Bordeau remains my favourite restaurant and don not miss the jerk chicken very tasty.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2012

This was our first trip in 6 years and our first one outside of the states. As soon as we arrived, the Secrets staff was extremely friendly and attentive. Since we arrived on a busy Sunday afternoon, all of the service staff were helping others, but they noticed and offered us a cool rum punch and towel which was just what we needed after a full day of travelling. We were then greeted by Nadiyah who helped us check in and went over all of the resort details and offered her extention in case we had any questions throughout our stay, which was very accomodating. Although my husband and I were tired from our long trip and just wanted to get to our room, there was a slight mistake in the room assignment (we entered a room already occupied) so we had to go back down to the service desk with our bellman, Owen, whom was extremely pleasant and funny, which made us forget the mistake. Once we reached the service desk, they sincerely apologized and gave us a complimentary champagne breakfast for the inconvenience!

Although all of our encounters with any service member at Secrets was extremely pleasant, I would like to acknowledge a few that really went above and beyond:

-Michelle-Amstar/Apple Vacation excursion representative
-Genius & Inch-Entertainers at the pool
-Karen & Bryon-Bartenders at the pool
-Bellmen-Garfield, Marlon, and Onsel
-Hillary-Champagne Breakfast server
-Naidyah-room maid

The restaurants were great and included Asian-Himitzu, French-Bourdeaux, Hispanic-El Patio, and Jamaican-Blue Mountain cuisine. My favorite was the French restaurant-the surf and turf was amazing, which we had twice! There were also a few poolside restaurants that were open for lunch that had delicious salad bars. The Piano Bar was where the entertainment happened and never stopped. The Desires Lounge was the late night venue that was open until 2:30 AM daily, which we only ventured to once since we were always pooped after a day in the sun and fabulous dinners. It is a fun venue for those night owls since the DJ was mixing all night long and offered a place to dance.

We had a fabulous 7 days at this resort! There was never a dull moment on our honeymoon and our first venture outside of the US! We will certainly return and are looking forward to visiting Secrets for another trip--maybe our anniversary!

3  Thank Laura G