“Welcome home to PARADISE!”

Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Ranked #11 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 19 August 2015 via mobile

This place is amazing! My boyfriend and I stayed here from Aug 8th to the 17th. All the staff are wonderful. Chef Antonio hooked us up with 2 of the best meals I've ever had! Everett in the casino took care of all our baseball needs, boyfriend couldn't miss a Pirate game! Leo at the pool was always on top of our drinks and some laughs. The entertainment staff are great! Nemo, BoBo, and Ali were fantastic! Very energetic.They always went above and beyond expectations! The grounds are beautiful as well as the beach. We stayed at secrets in Mexico and we will definitely stick to the AMresorts.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ashley S
Write a ReviewReviews (6,647)

Reviewed 19 August 2015 via mobile

We enjoyed this resort from start to finish! We arrived at the resort around 1pm and our bellman Chris Brown informed us we would be in the preferred building. We arrived and he gave me a beer and handed my wife a rum punch. Chris Brown is a great asset as he also brought us a scented cool towel and made good conversation. Every time we passed him he always took time to say hello! We also enjoyed an easy and quick check in! We were escorted to our room and seen two banners on our door for a birthday and anniversary! We opened the door and observed our floor fan we requested, fresh flowers, bottle of Appleton Rum along with a nice letter, a dinner invitation to the chefs table for Apple vacation guests, and a letter for a free champaign breakfast. After a long day of travel we knew we selected the right resort. We had a great view of the sea and the room has everything you should need while on vacation. We took a walk around the property and observed several beautiful beaches, two parrots, several peacocks, and this place was just beautiful . If you are unhappy maybe you shouldn't leave home just saying. The resort has four well cleaned pool, four beaches, endless choices of food options, a nice coffee shop, 24 hour room service, many bars, small casino, shops, and a great spa. We found the food quality to be good and if you don't like a food option you ordered just order something else. The portion sizes are small which is good because we ordered several different items at dinner. Breakfast buffet has everything you should want ! The options are endless. Many options for lunch but don't miss the Jerk Chicken which is found in front of the main pool and beach area! The smell will draw you to this cart and you will quickly see why people love this lunch item. We also seen someone handing out fresh coconuts and a fresh fruit cart. We found the beach service to be great as we always had a beverage and a smile! The beaches are man made but very nice and the layout of the resort is a hit! We found several good places to snorkel so take your own mask and we also packed a cheap raft for the ocean. We seen all kinds of marine life in the water. The shades of color in the water are just beautiful. I stated the layout was great and we enjoyed several walks around the resort and you always had a nice view of the ocean which is the main reason we go. We saw starfish just don't take them out of the water for more than a few seconds as this will kill them. We ordered room service a few times and always had our order delivered in less than 45 minutes. The resort offers plenty of things to do and if you get bored or don't have a great time then it your own fault. We did the free snorkel tour, bike ride, used a kayak, and of course all the evening entertainment. We go to bed by 11pm as we like to get up for the sunrise! The resort does serve Blue Mountain Coffee and we enjoyed it. Every night live music and the lighting is great and romantic. The hillside across the bay is a beautiful backdrop for the entertainment! We found the service to be great and the staff helped to make this resort and management should be proud! Our room was cleaned everyday and any request was granted. We loved the little touches such as the towel animals on the beds. The spa also is great and we enjoyed our services and once again if you complain then maybe it's possible you just can't be pleased. We also found the resort does have good wifi around the resort and it's free!!!!!! On Wen night they have local vendors come in which sell items. We liked this option to buy some things to take home with us. The worst part of the trip was having to leave lol. Thank you for the great vacation and we use Apple vacations for most vacations and always have had a positive experience. This was our first visit to a Secrets Resort but not our last. The staff should get a lot of credit and also management for taking care of the staff. Don't listen to the few bad reviews as we discovered this is a great resort with wonderful staff! The resort is just that but vacation is what you make of it take advantage of all things which this resort offers! Don't think twice about booking this resort hope this helps!

Stayed: August 2015
7  Thank Jetscv25
Reviewed 18 August 2015 via mobile

Recently visited Secrets St. James. Such a beautiful and clean resort. This was my husband and I's first time being out of the U.S. The staff was so friendly and made us feel very welcome, especially Leo, one of the bartenders at the St. James poolside bar. He always made sure we had a drink and put a smile on everyone's face. We will definitely be returning to Jamaica in the future not only because it is so beautiful there but also because of people like Leo! Will also be recommending it to family and friends.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JenNMarkG
Reviewed 18 August 2015

My family of three teens, my husband and I had a fabulous time at Secrets St. James Preferred. At arrival, we were greeted with drinks, warmly and immediately. "Preferred" is the way to go. Our two room suite had two bathroom bathtubs, and a balcony jacuzzi, all filled warm and with flower petals waiting for out arrival. Stocked bar, comfortable beds, spacious living room and a butler!
There is a daily breakfast buffet at the resort, but we only went once, since we had breakfast at the Preferred club, which is a 24-7 full bar and delicious snacks. The wait staff was friendly and accommodating always. The restaurants serve good enough food and we found the service prompt and friendly. The Preferred pool is beautiful and quiet, the other pools are busier and have a bar. The bar service was pretty effective and the bartenders were great. The drinks were good and generously poured. Some people complained that they had to tip, but I never did, being that it is an all inclusive resort. I always had great service.
The beaches are beautiful, narrow but with plenty of lounge chairs to pick. They have bins with self serve water bottles, a nice touch.The diving and water activities were well run, safe, and so much fun!
Make sure that you get the Mobay club advantage for the airport.

Room Tip: Preferred has only Ocean view. Beautiful.
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 August 2015

This resort was amazing from the minute we arrived. We stayed in the Preferred Cub which has a more private pool and beach. There is food available in the PC lounge all day and the restaurants were delicious. There's 24 hour room service and any problem that came up was fixed immediately. It was easy to book excursions and every staff member was helpful, friendly, and fun. I would recommend this resort to anyone who is looking for a vacation in paradise.

Room Tip: Preferred club
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jessica L
Reviewed 17 August 2015

My friend and I booked on cheapcarribean.com and did the "Deal of Fortune" so we didn't know what resort we were staying at until a week before our trip. We hit the jackpot with Secrets St. James because this is a well-run, clean, friendly, and relaxing resort.

Check In
We were greeted warmly and immediately taken to the desk with no wait. We arrived early so our room wasn't ready but we only had to wait a couple hours. No problem, we got some food at the Barefoot Cafe and lounged on the beach. We arrived on their Independence Day so the resort was festive with a parade, outdoor buffet and programming.
What I didn't like at check in was that you are immediately taken to a second desk to talk about going to their 'vacation club' information session. I had zero interest in this and wanted to move on but my friend ended up falling for it. If you go, you get coupons for the spa or an excursion. They'll tell you that the meeting might be less than 90 minutes but it is the full 90 minutes. Why waste your vacation on this? Oh well, I didn't, but the friend I traveled with went. And she never used the coupons.

Dining
There is a daily breakfast buffet that I thought was decent. They had omelet stations, plenty of waffles, french toast, pancakes, bacon, sausage, etc., etc. Tons of fresh fruit, cereal, granola, yogurt, cheese, whatever you want, I'd imagine it was there. We did have to wait in short lines daily to get a seat and it typically took some time to get water and coffee. But the wait staff was friendly and accommodating when you asked for something.

Restaurants
My favorites were the French and Italian restaurants. The Mexican restaurant was awful - several people walked out mid meal and to be honest, I could have too, but didn't want to be impolite. Skip this. The Jamaican restaurant sadly wasn't that great, either, but it was tasty enough. I guess I expected more since I was in Jamaica.

Room Service
24 hours a day, and there is a full menu. We ordered in one night and got fried mozzarella and a real tasty Jamaican jerk chicken pizza.

The Room
Very comfortable beds. I went with a friend so we had two double beds and we both agreed that the mattress was really comfortable.
Big flat screen TV on wall with multiple decent channels.
I wasn't a huge fan of the bathroom layout but it wasn't bad. The shower and toilet area have glass doors but there is no door to the area - it is open to the bedroom. Also, there is a large bathtub in the room.
Rooms were cleaned well daily and the fridge was restocked with soda and Red Stripe. Turn down service every evening.

Pools
There were two pools each with a swim up bar. Very nice, bar service pretty effective and the bartenders were great. I especially liked "Ari" who was friendly and worked quickly. Strangely enough the pool didn't connect to the other side which had the infinity style, even though there were bridges connecting them you couldn't swim through. The pool bar closes early (maybe 5 or 6 PM?) and I thought it could definitely stay open longer.

Beach
Small beaches throughout the resort. Not terrible by any means but they are small areas for swimming and have a lot of seaweed so you can't really span out through it. The area we frequented was shared with the water sports and boat rentals. Not really a problem, just not a lot of room for swimming.
There were more than enough lounge chairs that were situated under the little palm trees that provided plenty of shade.
Drink service on the beach was really great. Scherese was hilarious and amazing. I especially liked when she and Leo were working the beach together. Their dialog was so funny.

Staff
Great staff all around. Friendly, accommodating, and truly sincere that they want you to have a good time.
My favorites were Sherece (beach service), Leo (beach and pool service), Carol (waitress at the Italian restaurant) and Everett (bartender at the casino).
I also really enjoyed the beach party with music and drinks that they had.

I would certainly come back here and likely will in the next few years.

I'd like to note too that I traveled with a friend and we were pleased to see so many other groups of friends vacationing together. You don't have to be on a honeymoon or with a significant other to enjoy yourself at this resort.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean front!
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends
3  Thank MaraK498
Reviewed 17 August 2015

As beautiful as the beach, hotel and island are, the staff was absolutely the best part. We cannot thank Chris Brown and Nicola enough for the hospitality they showed us. It was our first all inclusive, out of the country trip and, thanks to them, it will not be our last.

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled as a couple