“Not five star but solid 4!!!”

Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Ranked #11 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 7 September 2017

I visited the resort last week Aug 28, 2017. I read lots of reviews before I went and specially negatives once so, I will address those. I am a bussiness owner and many times reviews are not fair and specially negative reviews so i will try to be as fair as possible.

1) No one tried to sell me any time share.
2) No one at resort ( staff) asked me for any tip. many made it sound like, they were just asking for money all the time and I did not see that at all.
3) Dining was pleasant unlike suggested by many that food takes a long time to come out and there is a wait to be seated.I never waited more than 2 mins to be seated and the food was brought to the table in a timely manner. These restaurants are a sit-down place and maybe people are not used to of eating at a fine dining restaurant.
4) There is no difference between staying at wild orchid & St James.
Here are my observations...
I would not pay extra for preferred rooms or swim up rooms.
We were upgraded to preferred for free. I did not see any difference in preferred & regular.
Food was ok. Portions really small but you can ask for more. Food is an individual taste so judge for your self. There is plenty of choices. If you are big eater just ask them to double up. For instance, they served one spring roll cut in half as an appetizer.
Location is great, especially for evening entertainment.
I do not drink so can not say anything about drinks but if you like to drink, there were plenty of bars.
I would suggest they would serve some finger foods at bar or snacks.
Beach is clean but if you are going for the beach, I would pick a different place.
Make sure you have water shoes as impossible to walk in the water. there are lots of rocks and seaweed. This is not natural beach so water is very calm for those who are not comfortable with waves.
Great place for snorkeling, make sure you take your goggles. There is plenty of fish just by the beach. Lots of jelly fish.
The Mexican place was the best out of all the place than i would rank Jamaican and i would rank French the last. once again, this is an individual preference. BTW, I am not big fan of Mexican food and tried it last
The place is really clean with lots of landscaping and pretty flowers. It is huge and if you can not find something to do here, you are a difficult person.
Fruit cart in afternoon and Jerk Chicken Cart were awesome.
Staff was polite and very helpful.

Room Tip: I would not pay extra for ocean view if staying at St James.
9  Thank Ajay S
Write a ReviewReviews (6,707)

Reviewed 7 September 2017

Typically my husband and I travel around the date of our anniversary, August 31st. This year by far is one of the best if not the best of our 26 years. I want to recognize some folks who really made this trip extra special in the order that we met:
Corry Whyte (housekeeping staff member) who made our total experience at Secrets one to remember for a life time. On our anniversary especially she out did herself with the swan created with towels, rose petals and hearts. I mentioned to her that I prefer baths to showers and she drew a bubble bath for me with rose petals. She made us feel like royalty!
Sudane is an outstanding hostess. The second time she saw us she addressed us by name (out of the hundreds of people she meets each day), she remembered our preferred seating no matter which restaurant she was serving in and greeted us any where she saw us on the property with her signature smile.
Daniel, cook on the omelet grill and jerk cart accommodated special request for our meals. He too always greeted us with a pleasant smile in the restaurant and acknowledging us on the beach.
Ann-Marie Dellop (P.M. housekeeping staff ) was yet another outstanding staff member who made this year's anniversary one to remember for a lifetime.When we returned to our room she had made a beautiful towel creation accented with rose petals and hearts and our complimentary wine chilling on ice.
Last but not least is Ms. Garcia a server at breakfast. I was getting symptoms of a cold/sinuses. When I'm home I combat it with apple cider vinegar and water. I asked Garcia if she could get some for me. She went to the kitchen and came back with it. Most mornings we were fortunate to have her and she always remembered my request.
There were others who provided excellent service but those people listed above really stood out to us.
Our stay was August 27 to September 3, 2017

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank 65pat
Reviewed 7 September 2017

My trip started off with a little glitz. Someone in customer service has mistakenly changed my arrival date. However thanks to the persistence of front desk manager Derise Forbes this situation was quickly fixed and the rest of my trip went so well. Derise was so nice and professional and handling things and apologizing. In fact she was so so sweet, I fell in love with her. Please tell her I said hi, She continued to check on my during my 3 day visit to the resort.

Room Tip: You cant go wrong everyone on the resort are friendly and make you feel welcome.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

This was my second trip to Montego Bay and Secrets St. James! We love the preferred club! You can be as involved as you want to be. It's a great place. We loved the peacocks. They are absolutely stunning. I can't wait to go back!

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank loribrandenburg
Reviewed 6 September 2017

My wife and I booked St. James for our honeymoon and we couldn't have had a better time. The food was great and the atmosphere at the pool and around the resort was perfect. The beaches were clean and views were spectacular.

The staff was very accommodating. No matter where we were going for dinner or what we were doing at night, we'd make it a point to visit Nico (bartender at the Lobby Bar). Nico genuinely seemed to enjoy our company, as we did his. Thank you, Nico!

Also, I want to give a special shout out to Stella and Smiley who were part of the entertainment staff.

1  Thank akirchner08
SWO_STJconcierge, E- Concierge Assistant at Secrets St. James Montego Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2017

Dear Valued Guest,

Firstly, we would like to thank you for making Secrets your honeymoon destination, it was an honor to have been of service to you. We are thrilled to note your recount of your stay and even happier to note your satisfaction with our property, food and team; thank you so much for sharing your review and highlighting our resort. As guest satisfaction is our ultimate goal, we are ecstatic your expectations were met and we hope to have the pleasure of hosting you again!

Reviewed 6 September 2017

I enjoyed my self that's all you need to know, adult only ,drink all you want, water is clear, the foam party, margaritaville, so much more. The locals are so nice and protect the tourist, they showed us so much love me and my WIFE will be back no doubt about that.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Demetrius D

Good Afternoon Demetrius,

We are extremely happy that you enjoyed your vacation with us, thank you for taking the time to share your experience! We are extremely grateful to you for making Secrets your home away from home, it was a pleasure to be of service. We are looking forward to your return home!

Reviewed 5 September 2017

My husband and I just returned home last night. We booked a 2 night stay at the Secrets resort in St. James, Jamaica. We stayed two nights. Upon arrival, we were greeted by kind and helpful staff and we headed right to the beach after signing in. It was beautiful!!!!!
The first meal we had was at the Seaside grill. We both had a lobster burger and split the seafood pasta. It was so nice being outside by the pool and we really enjoyed the setting. We headed back to the beach for a bit then to the room to get ready for the evening. At this time is when I became sick. I had cramping and nausea. I slept for a little hoping it would help. We got ready and went to Portifino for dinner. I could not even eat a piece of bread. My husband ordered and began eating. I was so sick I began vomiting in the restaurant bathroom. We left immediately (our waitress was so kind and compassionate and felt bad. It was comforting)
My getting sick ruined the entire evening. The next day I woke up feeling manageable. I chose not to eat anything but bread so I wouldn't chance ruining our final night.
We spend the day at the beach. One of the lifeguards gave me a coconut saying it would help me feel better. I drank it hoping for the best!! I really wanted to feel like myself to enjoy the short time we were there. I got through the day not feeling well but enough to be outside so my husband could enjoy himself but never had the chance to do anything but lay down. (Not that that is always a bad thing, I just wanted to try parasailing and kayaking)
We went to the world cafe for lunch and I stuck with bread and plain pasta. We went back to the beach and then wanted to go to the pool. This is when my husband started to not feel well. We laid outside for a bit hoping all would pass and we would feel better. He slept for a short time and went to the room to get ready for our last evening. We went to El Patio for dinner. We sat and ordered. Before the food came he had to leave. He was so sick and miserable. I waited for the waitress to come over and asked if I could take our order to the room in case we were able to eat later. She was so nice! I sat there for a bit and started to wonder what was taking so long. The waitress came out with a tray and our order all wrapped up with silverware and condiments and all we needed. She CARRIED it to our room!! We walked together back to our room and I brought the food in. Unfortunately, it sat there. However, her effort was very appreciated.
We tried to eat some breakfast items our last morning and pack up and head to the pool.
We had an awful time at the airport not feeling well. The road getting home was difficult feeling the way we did.
We are home now and STILL not feeling good!!! I am so upset and disappointed as well as heart broken. We went to your resort to celebrate our 20th anniversary. It was our first time away from our children and we were so looking forward to some adult time. It was not a good experience and I would caution anyone about the food and tell them what happened to us.

Room Tip: Most Rooms have an ocean view, Not really anywhere not to have a beautiful view
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Reagan W
SWO_STJconcierge, E- Concierge Assistant at Secrets St. James Montego Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2017

Good Morning Regan,

Firstly, we would like to thank you for celebrating your anniversary with us; it was a pleasure to have hosted you for this special occasion.

We are extremely disheartened to note you and your husband's unfortunate experience and we want to extend our sincerest apologies regarding same. It is never our intention to leave our guests with less than favorable memories of their stay and as such, we are devastated to disappoint clients who held such high expectations of us; we empathize with your disappointment . We are very grateful that you have taken the time to share your experience, making us aware of service areas improvements can be made. On the other hand, we are happy to note aspects of your vacation that your did enjoy. We are especially happy to note the kindness and professionalism displayed by our team.

We cannot apologize enough for the adverse effect this situation had on your quality of stay as no amount of words may alleviate your frustration. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us.