“BAD WEEK AT SECRETS/ST JAMES MONTEGO BAY” 1 of 5 bubbles

Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Ranked #10 of 62 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Spring Hill, Florida
“BAD WEEK AT SECRETS/ST JAMES MONTEGO BAY”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2010

SECRETS/ST JAMES MONTEGO BAY, JAMAICA
My wife and I have visited two to three resorts a year for the past six years. We are very particular where we stay and the type of resorts we visit. In order not to inject our personal biases concerning the problems we experienced at Secrets, we spoken to a number of guests concerning their personal experiences. We ask them what they thought of the resort. Most stated they had similar or worst experiences than we experienced. In fact, on the bus to the airport a gentleman and his wife, sitting across from us, without any comments from me, started to complain about similar problems.

Check in Thursday July 22, 2010 Check out Wednesday July 28, 2010.

1. Arrived at Secrets at approximately 3:00 P.M. Our room was not ready. In order to check in we have to sign a waiver absorbing the resort of liability. The print was very small and extremely difficult to read. We were advised to check back in 15-20 minutes to determine the status of our room. We continue to check with the front desk in 20 minutes intervals. Approximately two hours later, I requested to see a supervisor or manager. The supervisor, I believe his name was Daniel. He checked on the room’s readiness and approximately ½ hour later we were assigned to room 3227.

2. Since we were celebrating our 32nd wedding anniversary, I paid more for an upgrade thinking I would get better room with a decent ocean view. We were assigned room 3227, second floor. Our view was obscured by a large palm tree. Through the palm tree, a small piece of the ocean, a small piece of the pool and a small piece of the Seaside Grill was visible. We requested a room change. We were advised that St James was overbooked and a room change was not possible. Nothing was wrong with the room’s layout, except for seven days we basically had no view.

3. When taking a shower, the water from the shower flowed over into the toilet and vanity area. I attempted to contact the front desk by pressing the front desk button on the telephone. We discovered the telephones, the vanity and toilet area, did not work. I personally went to the front desk to report the shower overflowing and the telephones not working. The person I reported to called someone on the telephone to report the problems. I was advised the problems would be taken care. I was advised until the telephones were repaired, I could use the house telephone. I replied that was not practicable situation. Each time I wanted to call for service(s) I would have to dress and come down stairs to use the house phone. Over the next 36 hours, I reported the same problems to the front desk. During these 36 hours, it was necessary for my wife and me to use the few towels available to clean up the water off the floor. After 36 hours, someone must have come while we were out and unplugged the drain in the shower.

4. The telephone problem continued to exist. After reporting the telephone for 3-4 days to the front office, I was advised that the telephones were serviced by an outside telephone company. This company only comes out three times a week. I was advised that the problem would be reported to them whenever they came out. No one could or would say when the company would come out.

5. The housekeeping was poor at best. There were two glasses in the room when we checked in and were never replace. We resorted to washing the glasses. The vanities were not cleaned nor were the toilet cleaned each day. The rug was not vacuum or cleaned. Not once was anything dusted. The glass covers on the furniture was never cleaned.

6. Two days before we were scheduled to leave, water started leaking from the vent be between the shower and the toilet. I reported this to the front desk. Later I was told the leak had been checked and we would have to change rooms for safety reason. We told we would have to change rooms although we were told that the resort was overbooked and rooms could not be changed. I was advised that someone would contact us shortly and help us move. No one ever contacted us nor did we ever move out of the room. I did not pursue the move because all we wanted at this point was for our stay to end.

FOOD
Breakfast was fine, dinner was fine, but Lunch was horrible. The only two places listed for lunch in the daily activity paper, Sundial, were Seaside Grill and Oceana. The food was not good. In fact, I ordered a fish sandwich and it was so hard that it was difficult to cut through it. A lady seated at the table next to us observed this and stated she had ordered the same sandwich the day before and it was so hard she could not eat it. Lunch was buffet and the buffet was open with flies getting on the food. One day prior our departure, we were talking to travel visiting agent, Valerie Josephs of GotAGo Travel & Ent. A staff member, I believe his name was, Ronald Brown, came in and I told him the problems with lunch. I told him that lunch was so bad that we had start taking snacks from breakfast to our room to eat until dinner. Mr. Brown stated the Blue Mountain was open every day for lunch. I told him that we were unaware that the Blue Mountain was open. It was not listed in the “Sundial” nor was we informed by any staff member(s) that we had an alternate for lunch. Mr. Brown went and checked to determine if the Blue Mountain was open. After checking, he sent a staff member to inform us that it was open. The Blue Mountain lunch was fine although it was open only from 12:30PM until 2:30PM.

CLEANNESS
Cleanness left a lot to be desired. The table linen had stains on it. It was apparent that that linen is wiped off and not changed. One morning, at breakfast, the waiter knocked out a glass of orange juice on our table and the floor. The waiter got paper towels and attempted to clean it up. Also, the waiter got a dry mope and attempted to clean the floor. Orange juice got under the table mat. No one help the waiter attempt to clean up the juice nor did anyone offer to move us to another table. We took it upon our own to move. Later, with some juice still on the floor and under the mat, another couple was seated at the table we left.

ENTERTAINMENT
The entertainment was great.

RESORT CREDIT COUPONS
The resort credit coupons, in my opinion, are bait and switch. The restrictions placed on their usage were unacceptable. The coupons were good for only selected services. When visiting the spa, we advised the three coupons, $40.00, $40.00 $20.00, could only be used one per treatment. Coupons could not be used for services of 30 minutes, special promotions, and packages. If you wanted to used the coupons for a massage, prices ranged from $120.00- $600.00, you would be required to pay a minimum of $80.00 for the least expensive massage.

STAFF
The staff was nice and pleasant.

The Secrets has nice surroundings, but it must get its act together. I never write long reviews, however, we were so dissatisfied with our stay I felt compelled to write these lengthily review.

We will be returning to Jamaica, but we will not stay at Secrets. We could not recommend Secrets to anyone. Based upon the above, I would rate the Secrets a 1.5.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank marear

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,260)
  • Czech first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2010

Party of 14 stayed the week of July 19, 2010. Arrived at 4pm, check in is at 3pm, all couldn't get a room. Hotel was not full so my guess is they only clean and use part of the hotel. They could not understand how to seat a large party at dinner. I guess pushing tables together is hard. We split up into groups of 4 to eat. Food is avg to poor. Staff is nice. Had problems getting them to honor promo of buy 5 rms get 6th free. Still was fighting when we returned. Some rms get water under their door when it rains. One couples bath tub leaked. My rm had crown molding sitting on floor and other minor things not done in rm. Mini bar in rm is a joke as well as rm service. Box where dirty dishes go was rarely emptied so there were flys. Pool bar and food close super early. The sun didn't go down for another 2 hours and you can't get a drink. Had to walk into lobby bar and then was told he didn't have plastic cups washed. OMG! $200 resort coupons are a joke. You can only use a certain amt on each spa service, can't use in gift shop, only $10 can be used if you buy a bottle of wine. This place is just avg. and not high quality.

• Stayed July 2010
1 Thank Mishll
Nanticoke, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2010

Where to start... hmmm let's try the beginning!

We boarded the plane in Philly at 6am and was at the resort I think at about 10:10am. Was greeted by the man out front who grabbed our bags for us, I felt bad because they felt like 500 lbs and he would not let me help him! We were escorted over to the Saint James check in which is a beautiful place and was greeted by Natalia with Champagne, Cookies and cold towels. She checked us in and we were in our room sitting on the balcony by 10:30!

Room: 4306

Room was beautiful we were shown how everything worked (I forgot about 5 seconds after he showed me)! The air conditioning worked excellent the whole time. It is true if you leave the doors open it will shut off. I don't think it turned off while we were sleeping because I am a violent sleeper so my random moving probably kept tripping the sensor. The beds were as good as everyone raved soooo comfy! Plenty of storage space in the room also for those heavy packers. I took half the closet and she took the other half and the entire dresser. Safe worked the entire time and fit everything except my laptop which to be honest I hid in the bottom shelf under clothes because after reading about thing going missing I was mildly worried. After 2 days I just was soo relaxed I left it right on the coffee table no one ever touched it along with my Ipad on the side table. The TV channels are weird lots of Florida stations... and yes there is an adults only station but I think this is one of the most popular because everyone we talked to said they were always watching it (not going to lie it was on in our room 75% of the time, she was addicted) I, However was addicted to the Indian Soap Operas they are so intense! The Jet tub in the room is amazing I only used it once to try it but it was the best 30 minutes of my life! Shower was great never leaked except when we got out and dripped on the floor.

The Bad Part about the room ( it was fixed though)...

When we got in the room we noticed a weird smell. I hunted it down to a pillow in the closet that smelled like someone peed on it. She took it and threw it outside the door. Housekeeping came and left a new one in about 15 minutes and sprayed the room with Fabreeze Brazilian Carnival (my favorite)!

The soaking tub on the balcony... I went out later that night to check out the tub. I filled it and hoped in. Nothing amazing but it was relaxing. When I got out I noticed the drain lift was broken! We went to dinner and when we came back it was fixed!

I did notice a small area above the door that had water damage, nothing awful just drooping a bit. Also we never had any problems with water coming in the room the whole time we were there and we had about 3 good storms! I will say the rumors are true about the sloppy work that Secrets received, mainly just bad grout and caulking and paint splashed on things. However this was only in a few areas and did not affect our trip what so ever!

Beach:

The beach is enormous! Always found a seat and service was always outstanding!
Some tips:
Beach is rocky in places along with small rocks in the water. If you step on a sharp one it will hurt. Heard allot of women complaining about stepping on rocks so I suggest bringing water shoes to wear in the water. As for large rocks there are large ones out past the ropes but I saw allot of people climbing on them and snorkeling. There were some beautiful fish around them so I think they are a good thing!
If you prefer a more secluded area head down to the end of the beach by St. James not to many people venture that far it is very quiet and the water trampoline is over there also!
Starfish Cove is over by Wild Orchid PC on the very end of the beach. If you look over the wall into the water by the Piano Bar they are everywhere!

Restaurants:

El Patio - I think I have to say this was my favorite! I love Mexican food and it was delicious!

Bordeaux - We did a group dinner here with some people we met, all 6 of us had a great time! I recommend the steak it is so tender and flavorful! I have a picture of it! Also try the mussels, I was confused when they came out because I was expecting mussels! This came out in a triangle shaped what looked to be a piece of bread with sauce! Don't let this fool you it was outstanding, wish I could make it at home!

Portofino - Being 50% Italian I was looking forward to this one. I will say the Bruschetta was delicious and the pork scaloppini was very flavorful! One drawback I ordered the tomato and mozzarella salad, it was good but not what I am used to. Normally, I get sliced grape tomatoes with mozzarella balls basil and olive oil. Now take this with a grain of salt: I have just never had it this way even going from a half Italian family. I did look into it and yes it can be made this way, I just didn't like it! They give you 3 slices of tomato and 3 chunks of mozzarella with a spoonful of lettuce and a basil sauce drizzled around the edge of the plate! I just ended up cutting everything up ditching the lettuce and mixing it on the plate, then I was happy!

Blue Mountain - I'm sorry but neither of us enjoyed this and ended up going back to the room after and getting room service! We both got some Jamaican Stir Fry thing. Anyway it was supposed to come with all this stuff like shrimp, scallops, squid, jerk sausage and about 5 other things! When it came out what we got was a huge bowl of rice with 2 scallops and 1 shrimp! I ate the scallops and shrimp and about 3 spoons of rice and was done. Thumbs down to Blue Mountain!

Himtsu - Never ended up going because we were never able to arrange reservations!

World Café - Amazing and huge Breakfast Bar! Omlete station is sooooo good!

Coffee Bar - Best Coffee drinks around! May I suggest an Iced Coffee with Kahula and
Jamaican Run Cream... YUM!!! And the cakes and brownies were like sin on a plate!

However for those who stay in St. James PC it is a bit far to run just for a coffee if you get addicted :( Hint put another on the St. James side!!

Oceana - Was good, stopped here for lunch once and had some seafood! No lobster though, would have even paid for it!

Seaside Grill - Never Went

Variety and size of food!
I don't understand where people we saying that the restaurants didn't have much variety. I know most people for the UK, and Canada go on 2 week Holidays. We only went for a week and all I have to say is even if we stayed 2 weeks we would have never been able to eat the same thing twice even though we would have because it was sooo good!
As for the air conditioning complaints in the restaurants - the only ones that are not air conditioned are Portofino, Himtisu, Oceana, and Seaside Grill. They are open air dinging which means there are no windows which means air conditioning would be pointless. It like eating outside only with a roof over your head! Besides sunset was typically between 6 and 7 and once the sun goes down it not unbearably hot. Also I don't know when this will stop but when we were there the only restaurant that required long pants was Bordeaux. Dress shorts were fine I wore American Eagle Cargo Shorts and just alternated between White and Khaki. But I think this is only for a short time just due to how humid it was at night at times. Warning!! Do not attempt to break the relaxed dress code! When we were eating at El Patio a couple came to be seated and the girl was wearing a nice sundress and flats, but the man she was with decided he was going to wear palm tree swim trunks and a wife beater! :D HAHAHA they got turned away! First of all you will look stupid sitting around people who are all dressed up so just don't even try it!

Rooms Service - Ordered something at least once a day!
Menu consisted of things like:

BBQ Ribs - Soo tender and sauce is amazing!
NY Strip Steak - Very small, but packs some great taste!
Jerk Chicken - Ordered everyday!
Burgers - She loved them and great late night drunk snack!
All American Breakfast - Was good for those mornings when you just don't want to get out of bed, but World Café was much better!

Just a note about room service! Quit complaining we got our food within 45 minutes every time and it was always hot! The workers have to carry the trays all the way over from Wild Orchid and they do this hundreds of times a day. This one small girl brought it one day she looked like she was going to pass out she was sweating so bad and the tray was about 10x the size of her! She got a nice tip. So if you're hungry and can't wait an hour to eat walk to a restaurant, can't complain then can you!

Housekeeping:

Never had a problem! From what I could tell it was one housekeeper per floor. We would see them around 9am. We would go for food then pool and whatever else and when we came back room was spotless! We left the one girl a 15 dollar tip one day because the room was a wreck and she even came back at the end of her shift to thank us, that was sweet and she was so grateful! The latest housekeeping ever came I think was around 3 we were coming back and I was tired she asked if we wanted her to leave we said no and just sat on the balcony and let her finish!

Turn Down Service:
Had this once, she usually wrecked the bed before they came so I didn't even bother. I made her fix the bed the last night there just so I could see what it's like. Then get the bed all ready and do a quick clean of the room takes about 15 to 20 minutes.

Mini Bar Service:
Was refilled everyday without asking. Didn't start getting mini bottles until the 3rd day but to be honest I forgot about them and ended up bringing them home! You are at a resort swimming with about every type of alcohol known to man! Who needs mini bottles in the room? I just brought up the big cups!

The Secrets Box:

This is where you put all your dirty dishes and trash or whatever for pickup. Just so you know they only do a sweep about 2 times a day so if it's still there 15 minutes later don't freak out!

Also a tip. I was afraid of attracting bugs to the rooms so I was always dump leftover and whatnot into the trash and rinse the plates before putting them in the box!
Now this is not required but I just did it to be nice and help out and on top of that we never had ants!

Shopping on the resort!!!!!!

There were a handful of shops on the Wild Orchid side. There were 2 basic souvenir shops with thing like shot glasses, some spices, books, bags, etc. There was the Rum Shop with lots of Rum and wines and liquor! The Cigar Shop which had Jamaican and Cuban cigars. There was 2 jewelry shops and I believe 2 women's clothing shops.
Also, I was upset when I remembered when we were going to dinner on Wednesday night. Secrets brings in local vendors to display and sell their craft and different item. Make sure you take money down with you I think they stay till 9 or 10pm! I got a really neat wooden giraffe.

Some tips :

If you are buying rum or any liquor you are only allowed to bring 3 Liters back to the US in your checked luggage. However, if you want to wait until you get to the airport on THE WAY HOME!! There is Duty Free Liquor shop selling the same rum and about everything that a normal liquor store sells for unbelievably low prices. If you buy it here I think you can buy as much as you want and carry it on the plane. I was people carrying 4 carry boxes of booze on the plane and each box hold 3 bottles. Just double check with the airline you are flying out on and don't buy over 500$ worth of goods at the airport or you have to pay or something like that!

For all the smokers out there!!
There is a Duty Free Smoke Shack with Cigarettes and Cigars! You are allowed 1 carton per ticketed passenger. I was able to get 2 cartons of Newport for 50 dollars! What a steal!!!! For Marlboro Smokers they only have Menthol Lights, Reds, and Regular Lights. I normally smoke Marlboro Smooth but I just opted for Newport's.. my lungs will not thank me later!

And for all of you who want to venture to Margaritaville but are afraid due to the reviews or don't want to leave the resort! There is one in the airport! Went and checked it out and got some gifts, but didn't eat. Smelled good though.

For those of you who are adventurous, I recommend going on the Amstar Shopping trip for 15$pp. It is 3 hours and they take you to 3 different shopping areas. One is a shopping Strip mall with all sorts of thing from gift, jewelry, food, etc.. Also across the street is Harley Davidson Jamaica for all you Harley Lovers!
Second stop is on the Hip Strip. Bought some small things and allot of wooden carvings ( I love them).
Last stop is at the Jamaican Craft Market - BUYER BEWARE ( I did not like this stop )!
The driver drops you off and right away you are swarmed with almost every Jamaican trying to pull you in there hut to show you there things. What is so bad you may be wondering... they trap you and stand in the doorway and won't let you leave until you buy something and trust me it is mainly the same thing in every hut. The thing that got me was I love the Jamaican people and they are so nice I had to buy something! What is you run out of money you may be wondering.... NO PROBLEM MON!! They take credit, but not VISA or Master Card... they take the credit called trust! I ran into a wooden set of monkeys that I fell in love with but only had 3 dollars left on me. She told me she would let me take the monkeys with me and I could just give the money to the driver to bring back to her once we got back to the resort. But just my luck he wasn't coming back so I gave her the 3 dollars and she said she would get a cab over to pick up the money ( which she did ). Don't worry they wouldn't let her in the gate, the man at the gate called me to verify who she was and I took the money to the gate for her! But if you are bad under pressure like I am just sit in the bus and don't get out of if it is only you tell the driver to skip it or go somewhere else! Overall it was a great time just be careful and be cautious crossing the streets on the hip strip, I thought New York drivers were crazy ... they seem peaceful compared to Jamaicans!

The Resort in General!!

Where to start???

First off I would like to say this resort is absolutely breathtaking!!! Yes there may be hiccup here and there and yes they did get some bad construction work done. Especially on the roof! But this is your vacation people if you let a couple paint splashes, uneven caulking and a little water get in your way of having fun then I pity you!
Saint James PC - I will say it is in building 4 which is the furthest from the action like the shops and food but nothing that is an unbearable walking distance may 5-10 minutes depending on how fast you walk. But I will say it was worth every penny! I traveled with my friend so we didn't get married or have an anniversary we just went for fun. So as for those 2 things I can't comment.

The PC perks...

The PC Lounge - was an ideal place so quiet and relaxing and having all the booze you can drink at anytime of the day is awesome! There is also a hot/cold food bar which serves breakfast items like cereal, fruits, pastries, cheese, fish, and other things it changes daily! P.S don't be afraid of the fish, I was and then once I tried it I loved it!

The PC Pool - I didn't really see what all the fuss was about! Yes it's the Preferred Club pool but it looks just like the other ones except it doesn't have a swim up bar in it. However, the staff will serve you poolside whatever drink you want and sometime they will even bring it into the pool for you! Tux and all!! I didn't really see anyone sneaking in and boasting about it. We ran into a couple that was staying in Wild Orchid non PC and they were swimming with us and we loved them so we didn't really care. We were kind of sad when they didn't come back the next day. And from what I could tell allot of the PC people were going over to the non PC pool because there was always something going on and some people just enjoyed the swim up bar!
If you are looking for a romantic spot to just relax and enjoy what Jamaica has to offer then I definitely recommend PC, it is definitely the quietest of the 4 building and we enjoyed every second.
As for the views, From what I could tell no matter what room you end up in either PC or non you will have an amazing view of the sea. The building are kind of shaped like a U so everyone has a great view. May I suggest 4306 we had an amazing view dead center. I wouldn't worry about anything blocking the views especially on the higher floors. The palm trees are new so the aren't super high yet!

Free Wi-Fi - She enjoyed this more than I did since she was online every day. I could care less. I would just stop in on the Facebook page give a small update then balk to relaxing!

Saint James Non PC -

Did my fair share of roaming around here! There is a beautiful piano lounge with a bar next to the main lobby. I went there allot, wish there was one in the PC! This may sound silly but in the non PC check in there are the most beautiful vases with what look to be small red roses that light up a fiery red at night. I forgot to ask Caulette but I want to know where they got the because I want to buy some for the house!

Wild Orchid PC - Look like Saint James PC's twin sister only with some swim out rooms which looked really cool but there are only like 4 of them from what I saw. The Wild Orchid PC pool looks to be the smallest compared to the others almost half the size of
St. James PC pool!

Entertainment team!

They were great, it seemed like they always had something going on for guests to do. The one day we competed in the Pool Olympics (sounds worse than it really was). I am by far an active person so I really wasn't up for something with the word Olympics in it. Glad they forced me to do it! We were part of the East Coast.. What! Whats! competing against the West Coast Whoo Hoo's! This consisted of a Red Stripe Chugging contest, greased balloon toss, a raft race in the pool, a hide and seek with coins in the pool, and a volleyball game. Happy to say we won! Way to go New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania and we had to take a Cali couple just to measure out but they were fun! Also anyone from Jersey with pink hair is A Ok in my book!

The Staff <3 <3 <3

I miss them ohhh so much! Everyone was sooo friendly and seemed to bend over backwards to assist you in any way they can. I was able to meet the famous Simone she was indeed very nice. I would like to send out a special praise to Nadine Oldfield, she waited on us almost every day when we were at the pool and on the beach! She was always on top of her game and had the sweetest attitude! I cannot thank her enough for the great time she helped us both have! Thank You Nadine I hope your boss gets to read this you deserve a raise. And when she walked by when we were leaving we shard hugs and took pictures. I spent the next 5 minutes after that crying! I did not get to meet Caulette of Bernadette which bummed me out I really wanted to :(

Tipping - The only time I was ever asked for a tip was at the airport buy our driver. We used Jamaica Tours he got the job done and I tipped him!
You are not required and I was never asked by any employee at Secrets for a tip. I just did, they are such nice people with such wonderful personalities you just want to tip them. I took 200 in 1's and 500 in 5's I wish I would have taken more that's all I have to say! I will say at time I did not time because I ran out of money and didn't want to run back to the room they gave me the same service and the same great attitude even without receiving a tip!

Also when ordering drinks in the pool or on the beach please don't hold them responsible for you wait time. Be aware that you may put in a drink order but that person is also waiting on other people. At times I saw girls with more than 10 drinks on their trays. It not that they forgot about you or are off doing something else there are only so many bar tenders to fill a drink order of 10+ drinks it may take time especially if everyone is getting something different. I think the longest I even waited for a drink was 10 minutes and I don't think I was going to die of thirst while I waited!

SPA - Never went mainly due to the fact we kept putting it off. But we did tour it and it is beautiful. And from others at the resort never heard one negative review! So if you get the chance try it out!

Tennis - For all those tennis lovers. The tennis court is located next to the spa behind St. James PC. Very nice court and you can rent equipment for free and if you don't have anyone who likes to play you can rent a professional for 50$ an hour!

Overall we have a beyond fantastic time and I am already pricing a return trip for January for my Birthday! And I know John is probably going to ask... I have been to Jamaica once it the past with my mother and friends when I was around 13 I fell in love with it then and I finally had the opportunity to return and remember why I love Jamaica so much!

Secrets all I have to say is that I love you and can't wait to see you again.
And for those who actually read this whole review Congrats! You are a true champ this is 8 pages in Microsoft word and 4215 words!

One Love,

Matt McDonald

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
7 Thank Matthew_McDonald
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2010

This trip was amazing. I couldn't think of a complaint if I tried. Any issues people mentioned I did not experience, or perhaps I did but am less sensitive to them. I didn't go on this trip anticipating problems. I went expecting to relax and enjoy myself and that's what I did. The food was wonderful. Smaller food portions? Yes, but within a 4 course meal it's more than enough and you can always ask for more. My husband and I are big eaters and left overstuffed from every meal. Members of the staff were some of the friendliest people I have ever met. The entertainment was magical. The rooms were comfortable and romantic. The grounds were beautiful, inside and out. Like I said- a flawless vacation. Sure, there are the usual "issues" with all inclusive resorts (like slightly slower service) but when you're in Jamaica, who cares? If your order takes a bit longer than expected enjoy the company of those you're with and appreciate your surroundings. You're on vacation. Slow down.

I would go back in a heart beat and can't wait to do so!

Easton, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2010

My wife and I spent a great vacation at Secrets Resorts & Spa, Montego Bay, Jamaica.

As soon as we were greeted til the time we left, we were treated as if we were the only guests there. Everyone from housekeeping, room service and from the bar and restaraunts, they all seemed to be very happy to be of service.

The room was very spacious with a well stocked fridge with a king sized bed doesn't hurt either.It also had agreat view of the ocean.

All inclusive is the way to go. not only are your meals and drinks included, but room service, as well! Secrets also has a supeburb coffee bar.All the guests we spoke and hung out with seemed to agree too.

The biggest kick we got was the waiter, dressed in a suit , coming into the pool and ocean to hand out shots of drinks. Amazing! There is really nothing to say anything negative about this place.

2 Thank pignardvark
Kingston, Jamaica
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2010

The highlights of our weekend was:

• customer service said happy birthday during check in
• Bell man was very pleasant
• On arrival we could see the sash that read happy birthday
• In the room the personal touch of a card signed by staff was distinctly different
• Complimentary Champaign, fruit plate made me feel special
• room service sound genuinely happy to send birthday greeting
• At breakfast their were 3 omlet station so the line was not very long
• the wait staff was very attentive,pleasant and quick on their feet
• The men who walked the property in brown suit and hat always looked happy and greeted us with a smile
• housekeeper was also very pleasant and look like she enjoyed her job
. no mattr where we wanted to eat having the restaurants locaked next to each other is brilliant, cuts down on walking north then west only to realize you are still not at the right restaurant
. nightly entertainment was energetic and exciting
.the room was simply exquisite and the view was breathtaking
. will definitly be returning

1 Thank junedolphin
Kingston, Jamaica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2010

First of all, we'd just gotten married that afternoon in Kingston, so there was the drive to Montego Bay to the hotel. Yeah, we're Jamaicans, but locals sometimes have very different experiences than our visitors. We drove in after 2 the morning, & were pleasantly greeted by the staff. At 2 in the morning! Our bellman actually was considerate of the time, & only showed us the necessities to the room, & promptly allowed us to get to bed.

We spent 9 days there for our honeymoon, & after 3 days, we had completely made ourselves at home. We had begun talking to some staff members by name, some of them actually remembered that we were honeymooners & made an effort to make our stay a little more comfortable. The room was off the chain!! The hot tub works, the mini-bar was refreshed daily, and many little items in the room were evidence that someone thought out all the little extra things to make a guest's stay enjoyable. Things like an umbrella in every room. Like a retractable drying rack on the balcony for wet items. Privacy light, fine, but a little privacy box, so your room service order can be delivered to your room without you having to even open your door! iPod-docking radio, fine, but it connects to other audio devices, & they actually had the little 1/8" cable for you to connect it! The layout was superb, spacious yet intimate, well designed, & clean. Room service was efficient around the clock - we checked, calling 3am at one point, & were eating in 10 minutes! The width of the sand area of the beaches was a little limited in some places, though, but there was enough beach & pools to keep you busy. Watersports are of the level that you can actually do scuba certification while you're there! Entertainment was almost around the clock, the layout of the hotel was very good, customer service was excellent, definitely would go back!! Even our housekeeper spoke to us with a smile! She did say to us though on the day we checked out, that if she'd been told we were honeymooning from before, she'd have gotten us all the perks available! We totally enjoyed our stay there, & for locals to recommend a hotel knowing that often there is a hint of preference to tourists present in many hotels, this just shows how good our experience was! Definitely recommended!!

2 Thank datmawgabwoy
12.0 km away
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay
21.4 km away
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa

Been to Secrets St. James Montego Bay? Share your experiences!