“4th Trip Proves Secrets is only getting better!”

Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Ranked #10 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Goddard, Kansas
“4th Trip Proves Secrets is only getting better!”
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Just returned from my 4th trip to Secrets Mo Bay and I have to say.....wow! Emilio and staff have done a tremendous job of making a fine resort even better. There are numerous improvements since my last visit. More umbrella chairs for the guests which was very much needed. New larger umbrellas were also being installed while we were there. Beach is now in great condition. Likewise the grounds have grown and really accenuate the resort. There is now a self service Ice Cream machine by Coco Cafe. We stopped there quite often. Gym is bigger and has more equipment. More choices at breakfast and lunch at the World Cafe. Also, the Sundial, your daily activity sheet, has more useful info and a much better format that is easier to understand. Its easy to see why this resort has made its way into the Top 10 on many publications. This is the longest I have stayed during my 4 trips there, and I can't wait to get back! Well done Secrets!! 5 Stars is my rating for this resort. FB Jim

Room Tip: Try and get on one of the higher floors if possible. There are great views from any level, but the h...
1 Thank FacebookJim

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,380)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Odenton, Maryland
Reviewed 25 June 2013

We booked this resort via RCI, but I checked trip advisor reviews beforehand. I can only add my voice to all those who have rated this resort so high!
Although the resort is beautiful in every way, what makes it exceptional is the staff. It's obvious that anyone hired already has innate people skills. Every smile, every helpful remark and gesture seemed entirely genuine. It's almost unfair, therefore, to single out individuals, but I'll do so at the risk of leaving someone out. First, Christina, the concierge who guided me by way of several email exchanges, then, Owen who greeted us at the entrance and helped with our baggage (and always remembered us thereafter); Michael, who moved us to another room in the middle of the night when there was a major room air conditioning malfunction; Andrea, who served as the hotel's liaison with RCI guests and ensured we had everything we needed (including upgrading our key card to preferred so that we could take advantage of some of the preferred benefits); all of the staff who befriended my husband and me at the Barracuda grill and bar, but especially Alvin, Cordiff, Leonard/Leo, Tanesha, Avion, and my "baby girl", Chaveina.
My husband and I celebrated our 46th wedding anniversary at the resort, so we're not young newlyweds. But, this resort, adults only, is wonderful for the young, old, and in-between! We met wonderful people, both tourists and employees.The grounds and buildings are immaculate.The buffets were great.We'll be back!

1 Thank Pat W
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 25 June 2013

We took a vacation to Secrets resort at Montego Bay, Jamaica. I highly recommend this all inclusive resort. It was the best. I loved everything about it. Make sure when you go have Tafari the consierge help you he is the best, such a great person. Made our visit so easy. Check out Orlando and Kerry at the breakfast buffet. They just stopped and sang to us and have the best voices absolutly beautiful. So romantic. LOVED it all.

2 Thank Jolene P
SWO_STJconcierge, Manager at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

We thank you for posting your feedback to Trip Advisor and we are proud to say that we are delighted to hear that you 'LOVED' your entire stay with us here at Secret Wild Orchid.

We are glad to hear that this is 'the best' all inclusive resort and that some of our team members stood out - thank you for recognizing their hard work and we will pass on this recognition to the relevant department heads for awareness.

We look forward to welcoming you back Home soon.

Warm regards,
Caulette Mornan
Social Networking/Econcierge
Richfield
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I stayed here for 5 days to attend a wedding. It is a nice hotel with beuatiful views of the ocean.

ARRIVAL - Well... that's a long story but, any issues I had were caused by me. Lots of crap happened to me thanks to poor planning on my part. Short story - I was supposed to wait for a friend of mine and she was supposed to wait for me. Turns out she didn't wait. Don't get me started. Anyhoo... after 3 hours sitting at the airport, I took a cab to the hotel. By the time I got to the hotel, I was fuming. I got to the checkin desk and told the gal there to hurry up and get me checked in because I needed to decompress before I blew up. I apologized a lot to that poor gal. She offered rum or a cookie, I said just get me to my room so I can shotgun a couple beers and start my vacation. And that's exactly what she did, got me a bellman to get me to my room and he gave me the three minute tour. Then I grabbed 2 cold beers out of the fridge went on to the deck and was immediately... relaxed. My vacation had begun and I let everything just... go...

ROOM - I recieved a nice room on the 3rd floor in building 2 that faced over the pool to the ocean. The room was very nice and looked exactly like the photos you see online. The 3rd and 5th floors have balconies that are bigger (triangle shaped) that the 2nd and 4th floors... there's just something the makes the day better knowing that you're deck is bigger that the guy above you ;) Everything was nice in the room, the room service was very quick and very good. (more on that later.) I did go to a friend's room that was still technically in bldg 2, but she was on the 2nd floor close to the lobby and all she could see were palm trees. I liked my room better. I also had a friend that was on the actual beachfrom room... I liked his room best. Also, I went as a solo and was pleasantly surprised that the resort charges a little more for the solo room, but not as much as most other resorts (some charge double). I really appreciated that. There were other singles staying at the hotel, mostly in their 20's... but not many. I am guessing that it depends on when you go, just like anywhere else.

FOOD - I'll support the general feeling that the food here is more of a three star class. It's not bad, not great, but OK. The hibachi restaurant was fun because of the cook we had. The best dinner I had was at the Italian place. very good. Everywhere else was OK. For breakfast, the first morning, I ordered room service, got the continental, coffee and a couple of juices. It was very nice, an assortment of rolls, a nice plate of fresh fruit, and some GREAT coffee. Way more than I can eat. The second morning I went to the buffet. It was a just your every day buffett... noisy with mass amounts of bland food. So, every other morning, I ordered room service. it was the best way to the day - breakfast on the big deck with a beautiful view. Unbelievable.

BARS - Again, they were OK, but not great. Still, the group had fun and that's what it's really about. There is a funky smell in the disco, probably from all the fake smoke the use in there. A few of the group I was with wouldn't go back after their first visit to the disco. My tip to the resort... stop using the smoke... get more lasers and better ventilation. Also, a common complaint in my group is that, in the disco bar, the drinks tasted funny. Like they were using not top shelf booze, but using cheap booze in top self bottles. I suspect that the taste came from dirty soda lines or something like that. Switch to beer and you don't have a problem.

TIP - get the drink 'the dirty banana" - it's awesome.

ANOTHER TIP - Take an insulated plastic cup to the pool bars or beach. The heat melts that ice FAST... I took an insulated cup that was 24 ounces. there are 3 plus sides to that; no pool water got in my drink thanks to the lid, the ice stayed in the drink, and my drinks were twice as big as everyone else's :)

TIPPING - I did tip a dollar for almost all my drinks. I don't know if the service was better or not or if my drinks were stronger, but those bartenders deserved it. There were people in my crew that didn't tip and they didn't complain about service... of course, they were usually sitting next to me ;-)

EXCURSIONS - I went shopping one day, just to the shops accross from Margaritaville. I felt safe and the prices were a little better than the resort. I also booked a Snorkle and booze cruise through the hotel. WOW! What a blast! I think the catamaran was called the DREAM CATCHER. Snorkling was OK, they fed the fish around us and the variety of fish was nice. Then we started the drinking portion of the cruise. They aren't shy pouring drinks, that's for sure. The crew on the boat was fun and very helpful. We then stopped at Margaritaville. It's expensive there. Just go in knowing that you're paying for the name, not the booze. TIP - If you're going to buy a shot glass, order one at the bar in a keeper glass. In the gift shop, the shot glasses are $10 or... wait for it... at the bar, they give you a Bob Marley shot (midori, banana liquor, and grenadine) for $10... seemed like a better deal to me :) Fortunately it got windy and rained just as we were going to head back accross the bay to the hotel... bummer? NO! They pull out the shot bottles and served up body shots and shots right in to your mouth. Yup... It was a good time! At least from what I remember. Dinner was kind of a blurr...

Overall, I would go back. I had a great time. The staff was always friendly, the booze was free flowing, and the food plentiful. I knocked it down a star because of the food quality. I definately would reccommend this all inclusive to anyone that asked unless you're expecting top notch food.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Larry L
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Amazing get away! My best friend and I decided last minute, that we had to get away and we did!

I have never really taken the time to review a hotel, the fact that i am doing so, only reflects how pleased i was with our trip.

The hotel was everything you could hope for. No detail was overlooked, from greeting champagne, to gourmet canapés, everything you could ask for was yours to take.

Activities for whatever mood you are in were available all through out the day. We did morning yoga on the gazebo, no better way to start the day. The pool volleyball was super fun and we got to meet other hotel guests.

The preferred club gave us access to a room on the first floor with a breathtaking ocean sunset view. The hotel is located at the end of the bay, so you can see the mountain on the other side. The water was a perfect aqua. The live singing and piano bar every night under the moonlight, showcased the local talent.

Food was really really good! The Japanese restaurant was great, fun and entertaining. The french was exquisite and the jerk chicken kart along the beach was to die for.

All the people we met were super kind and welcoming! Jamaican people are happy people, dancing and signing is in their spirit.

We definitely recommend Jamaica and specially the secrets wild orchid.

• Stayed June 2013
Latrobe, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 24 June 2013

This was a great week away. The Secrets Wild Orchid was a great time. We went snorkeling 3 times and diving 1 time (Thank you Clive dive instructor) just off of the beach and it was so clear and the reef was beautiful. The resort was very well kept everywhere you went. The staff was very friendly say hello to happy feet, Cie-lo , and corn flake . The food was good they put on a good show at the hibachi grill and the Lasagna at the Italian was the best. We did upgrade to the preferred club and anytime we needed anything they went out of there way to get it for you thank you Jheanell . From check in to check out it was a great time.

Room Tip: Rooms are ocean view but some rooms you have to lean over the rail to see the ocean. We had a ocean...
1 Thank Phil R
SWO_STJconcierge, Manager at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay, responded to this review, 10 July 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

We thank you so much for taking the time to post your review to Trip Advisor and we also thank you for choosing Secrets Wild Orchid as your vacation destination.

We are glad that you had a 'great' week with us and it is great to know that you enjoyed all the facilities offered on property such as snorkeling, diving and the entertainment from our friendly staff.

It is great to know that the beauty and cleanliness of our Resort was always seen everywhere you went and we are overjoyed that your dining experiences were good. We are content in knowing that Jheanell was able to go above and beyond to ensure your stay was a great one and we appreciate that you took the time to recognize our entertainment team and the value added to your vacation.

We look forward to a future visit as it was our absolute pleasure being of service to you.

Warm regards,
Caulette Mornan
Social Networking/Econcierge
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 24 June 2013 via mobile

First, let me say, I only do all-inclusive resorts. This is my second Secrets experience. The first one was in Punta Cana. Wild Orchid is absolutely fabulous. The grounds are beautiful and well manicured. The staff is very friendly and helpful. I have NEVER had better food anywhere else. There was fresh seafood at every restaurant. The lobster was flowing and the portions were huge. I have never experienced good food at any all-inclusive, but this one was fantastic. We upgraded to the Preferred club when we arrived and it was well worth the money. We were given an ocean front room and had access to the private pool and beach which came in handy because the regular pool got a bit loud and obnoxious in the afternoon once the pool volleyball net went up. We then quickly moved to the private pool (at both resorts). We did one excursion which I was very happy about. It was the jeep safari excursion. You learned abut the culture, went up Blue Mountain with a great view and went to some beautiful waterfalls. We were back by 1:00 and could still enjoy the afternoon at the pool. I will definitely return to this place.

Now, a couple negatives. First, the beach is tiny. There is no taking long strolls on the beach. I've always been used to the huge, gorgeous beaches in the Dominican so this beach was a bit of a disappointment. It wasn't a deal breaker, though. The second thing was the Internet. It is NOT GOOD. Everyone complains about it so the staff is used to it. They really need to do something about it. Most of the servers are good but at the morning buffet, they need to be more attentive. I had to keep asking for coffee and water. Good servers are always looking to make sure this is always taken care of.

Again, this is a definite keeper. I will return. I didn't want to come home. It's well worth the money, but upgrade to preferred. You'll be glad you did. We got free wifi with the upgrade (as well as better room and private pools and beaches). If not, you have to pay $15 a day each for wifi (and it still sucks).

Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends