“This is the one that should be called 'Fun Caribbean'”

Royal Decameron Montego Beach
Ranked #23 of 62 Hotels in Montego Bay
Kingston, Jamaica
“This is the one that should be called 'Fun Caribbean'”
Reviewed 26 December 2012

After staying at the other 2 resorts in Runaway Bay I decided to visit this one to see
what it would be like and I absolutely loved it! Fabulous ocean view from my balcony. Honestly, I didnt want to leave when my weekend was over. I love the beach, the pool aerobics, the beach grill. The grounds are lovely and well-kept. There are hammocks all over. The food was pretty good variety

only problem was the hot water! most times it was only there at night. Also the Front desk staff need more customer focus training. Room was clean and quite relaxing and good value. They are clueless and sent me to the wrong room on check-in. Some of them were abrupt and a bit rude. All the other staff that I came in contact with were great.

Room Tip: All the rooms seem to have a view of the ocean and planes landing
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Rosie_4247

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (687)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Nashua, New Hampshire
Reviewed 25 December 2012

Hotel is dirty. Rooms are old and out dated. Bedding is not clean and not changed on a regular basis. The pool is very small and the beach is not clean. The hotel lobby is sad and shabby. The staff was rude and food was very bland, not what you would expect in Jamaica. Would never go back to this resort or this area of Jamaica. Save your money and go to Mexico!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank J W
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 22 December 2012

Decided to take a trip to Jamaica!! Had a hard time deciding between which hotel to choose as I was thinking either Riu Negril for some Negril fun or Decameron to be near the hip strip. I had never been to Jamaica before and read some of the reviews which were both positive and negative. I must say I was very impressed with this hotel . I went during October 8th 2012 which was my birthday and enjoyed every minute. The property was always kept squeeky clean! the food was amazing for breakfast lunch dinner and midnight snack was great...lots of veggies and fruits and the cooks are very nice and friendly...the bartenders..we we're now facebook friends they were a ball!! hilarious fun always made me amazing drinks....I would go back anytime!! shoutout to shane gaza man crazyyyyyyyy....oh check out my pics of the place quite a site to see

Room Tip: they are all ocean view - the maids come and clean your room up so nice!! can't complain - if yo...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank renn86
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 20 December 2012

Thanks to all the wonderful Staff for their hard work and dedication who make our Vacation memorable and one of the best Vacation we've ever had. The bedroom weren't fancy but the Room was clean and very comfortable, the only thing I wish would change is the Potlights in the Washroom which wasn't bright enough for a Washroom and having a dimmer light in the bedroom would be nice.

Overall all the staff was excelent, from the Housekeeping, Entertainment to the Dining and Bar staff, also the security at the gates, hardworking dedicated people.

My only negative is the front desk staff definitely needs a refresher course in great Customer Service, even the Lady who claims she was a Supervisor leaves much to be desired, they should remember first impressions are what count, but dont let them deter you all the other staff are just great, Michael at the front desk is the best, and one of the nicest person there,he definitely went above and beyond to make the Guest feel welcome, keep up the good work Michael. very nice place for a Vacation overall

Room Tip: Rooms on the South side is much quieter
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank marverleym
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 19 December 2012

Thank you to all staff for their hard work to make this resort clean and enjoyable, also free of mosquitoes and sand flies. Big thank you to the front desk's employees for solving any issues to make us happy and safe.
Regarding food; there was a wide selection of dishes and desserts (and my favorite ice cream). The ocean view from the room was fabulous. If you are not a great swimmer don't worry you can still enjoy watching fish from the pier or by walking in the sea (just take your water shoes and a piece of bread).
My son and I enjoyed an excursion to Dunn's waterfalls. He had also a good time at Chukka ATV Safari. I only wish I could take more tours.
This is not a quiet place but 4 km distance to the airport wasn't tiring or annoying but what a huge advantage being in 5 minutes at the resort. After 11 pm the resort was quiet so I didn't have a problem with a good night sleep.
For sure you won't be bored or disappointed there.

Room Tip: Room 206 above lobby, with the ocean close to the room. A/C quiet and easy to operate
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Maria C
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed 17 December 2012

I had a wonderful time at this resort. Just got back. What I liked the most was the friendliness of the employees. I know that they are supposed to cater to the guest, but their enthusiasm was genuine. The rooms are not the best in the world, but the atmosphere of the resort made up for any shortcomings. I loved the entertainment team most of all. They are the ambassadors of the resort and will ensure that guests return. I loved the food. My room was satisfactory. The beds were comfortable. The view from my balcony was stunning. For an all inclusive vacation, this is an excellent value.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank deemoris
Reviewed 17 December 2012

My sister was recently married here at this resort. She had a good experience with the wedding coordinator and everything went very smoothly. It seemed like a relatively hassle-free experience for her, which was very nice.

Most of the staff at the resort were absolutely wonderful, particularly the entertainment staff and the lifeguards. The front desk staff were a little snippy, but I guess you can't blame them if they deal with the brunt of customer complaints.

I asked to change my room when I first arrived because I wasn't terribly pleased with it (Room 43). It was VERY small (especially after I visited a couple of others who were there for the wedding) and had a bit of a funky odor. It also was at the far end of the resort, so our view outside had a lot of barbed wire. I think the worst part, though, was that since we were close to the end of the resort we heard every car, motorcycle, and pedestrian hawking wares throughout the whole night. The front desk attendant seemed pretty annoyed with me for asking to change, but she eventually did since my sister asked her to do it as a favor since she was getting married and had over 20 guests at the resort. My new room (Room 207) was right above the lobby, so it was still pretty loud but hearing folks having a good time at the shows was much preferrable than hearing folks trying to sell drugs to the visitors.

The resort itself was really nice, in my opinion. I've seen some reviews saying that it was too small, not enough to do, etc. I'm pretty much a "sit-me-down-by-the-pool-with-a-book" type, so I was very happy with the resort. There were two pools, one which hosted most of the entertainment (water aerobics and volleyball) and one that was a little quieter. As for food, there was one restaurant that you could go to if you didn't want to partake in the buffet. The wedding dinner was there. Besides having the intimacy of just our group there, I didn't think that the experience was much different. The food was on par with the buffet food, which I still thought was great. They had plenty of choices every day, including lots of vegeterian options and desserts (which I was most excited about!).

I had an absolutely awesome time here, and plan to return soon. One bit of advice I'd offer to folks is that, although gratuity is included, I highly recommend leaving tips for folks anyway. The staff works really hard (some work 18 hour days!) and they deserve an extra couple of bucks in addition to what they get from the resort itself. If you leave a couple of bucks for people, they really do go out of their way to help you whether it's to refill your water more quickly or offer you good advice for less tourist-y excursions.

Room Tip: Rooms further away from the lobby have a lot of street noise, but rooms closer to the lobby have a l...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple