“Surprisingly Good!”

Ranked #44 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Moreno Valley, California
“Surprisingly Good!”
Reviewed 26 February 2012

We stayed at the Gloriana for 2 weeks Oct - Nov 2011 and I was pleasantly surprised. I had read the reviews before going & chose to take the chance. My main concern was there were no bugs because that I CANNOT tolerate. Happy to say there weren't any. First off its obvious my expectations weren't high since it was so inexpensive. Being my forth trip to Jamaica from California I knew I wouldnt be spending much time in the room anyways.

I really appreciated getting a choice out of 3 rooms. The staff was nice and helpful, although they may not have been all fake smiles the entire time they did their jobs well. If we needed anything it was no problem & done in a reasonable amount of time. I stayed at Iberostar Resort previously & it took them longer at times to respond to our request. The pool was small but fine. Not a lot of kids so great for relaxing. I spent lots of time sitting in the swing seat on my laptop. WiFi is stronger by the pool/ lobby areas. One complaint is that I couldn't get WiFi in my room but it was the same at the resort except there I had to pay extra for it. The restaurant prices are high compared to local prices, but not compared to normal room service rates.

I love love love the location! I hate having to get a taxi so the fact I can walk to the Doctor's Cave beach, MargaritaVille, shop, & local restaurants was great! Plus the security staff was also helpful when I did need a taxi. Our housekeeper was great too. She offered and allowed me to use her phone to reach my boyfriend when he was out working. The other hotel guests were friendly as well. I enjoyed it so much we're going back next month & this time a few friends are coming too.

Remember this is NOT a 3+ star hotel! So if you expect to get what you pay for with their low rates you will be happy because you will get your money's worth & more.

• Stayed November 2011
6 Thank SaucyCoffey
Eugennie M, Manager at Hotel Gloriana & Spa, responded to this review, 14 November 2015
We have just gone through a series of refurbishing and have some new and upgrade rooms you can check it out on our website hotelgloriana.net or on our facebook page Hotel Gloriana.Thank you for making Hotel Gloriana your home away from home. We will be having a huge special on our room rates for this Christmas which starts now with walk-in rates at US $46.00 and reserved room at $57.00 and $70.00 per night so we are looking forward to seeing you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Lebanon, Mo
Reviewed 23 February 2012

The night before we departed Montego Bay (MoBay), we stayed at the Hotel Glorianna & Spa. This hotel is very clean, the water hot, and the water pressure adequate. We (5 of us) stayed in a room with 7 single beds and a large bathroom. The room was air conditioned and just down from the pool. The pool water was a bit cool, and was only 6 feet deep, but the pool was very clean. The hotel restaurant was right off the pool and offered poolside service at tables set up arount the pool, and the prices were affordable. People at the front desk were very helpful and one of the managers would come around to the room and check, making sure every thing was taken care of. * There was, however, only one electrical outlet that I could find in the room, and that was near the TV. There was No electrical outlet in the bathroom, no blow dryer, no coffee pot, etc. I suppose one could bring an attachment to place into the outlet with a plug in- built in, then put the light bulb into that. * The room was quiet, and we slept well.

Room Tip: The hotel was very nice, for the price. I did not take advantage of the massage or spa opportunities...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank renown
Reviewed 18 February 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a week in 2005 and recently returned on 2/15/2012. The property has made considerable improvements. The staff is friendly and helpful; Clyde is a fixture at the door and always can be depended on to help or assist in any way; The hotel rooms vary depending what you want, but my room was fine. I was surprised to see the flat screens that are there now, what a pleasure. The prices are actually an excellent value for the location. Public beaches are within walking distances and there are many restaurants very close by. I would rather stay here and enjoy the public beaches and the local food while still saving money by not paying for the all-inclusives. I also believe in supporting Jamaican business and I would rather my money go to local businesses rather than the large corporations
( foreign owned) who run the larger, all inclusive hotels.

Room Tip: Some rooms have mini-fridges, and there are also suites where you can buy food to cook yourself, whi...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Mariemartin15
Eugennie M, Manager at Hotel Gloriana & Spa, responded to this review, 26 February 2016
thank you for making hotel Gloriana you home away from home. we are glad you hade a lovely time and thanks for your comment.we you come again we will give you a discount for $55 per night. as we have upgraded since your last visit
San Diego, California
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Hotel was very good for its price. My boyfriend and I stayed here and enjoyed ourselves. However the spa was broken and the pool is ice cold. The food I did not like. Everything(Meat) seemed like it was boiled before it was prepared. The plus side is that about a block down there is a restaurant with awsome food. If you like to have meals outside the hotel this is ideal for you.

Room Tip: Choose a room w/ pool view so you can enjoy the garden view. Also you are closer to the wifi
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nubbean
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 12 January 2012

I've stayed at this hotel a few time without any problem...even though this hotel is slightly less than wexford hotel...last time i made a reservation from overseas for a one bedroom suite...everything was fine,i even confirmed the day before i arrived....when i landed in montego bay the next day, got to the hotel,was told the one bedroom suite was not available....it's now occupied...they took me out to show me more rooms in the pouring rain in the back...the wallkways were very slippery because it's wet..i lost my footing & sled down a few steps injuring my back and right hand...when i made a report, i was told " sorry !"...they don't care about you,all they care about is making money....

• Stayed March 2011
6 Thank Nonesuch60827

Travellers are raving about these Montego Bay hotels

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 January 2012

over all the hotel need to be updated, the beds are hard as rock, sleeping on the floor
would have been better.

Room Tip: rooms are not well lit dark
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank valerie b
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 7 January 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel mainly because of it's location. Although we found the staff friendly we ended up having to change rooms three times. The frist room was very musty smelling and dirty, it had a balcony and several windows however they were all sealed shut so there was no way to get fresh air into the room. The second room was a little better, however while we were out the air conditioner leaked and flooded the room. The third room was no better than the first, I ended up having to clean the room myself and finished a whole bottle of perfume just to get rid of some of the musty, mildew smell. Needless to say for the week that we were there we almost ended up in divorce court.

Likewise, despite several complaints to the front desk no offers were made to refund us any of the money we paid up front. I found Ms Gloriana snobish and unfriendly when she was around, nothing like the character in her DVD. I found all those wall murals creepy, it's like she was watching you every where you went. Hotel Gloriana is in desprate need of a make over, starting with painting over all those murals and washing the drapes and comforters. Stay at your own risk.

Room Tip: don't stay here
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Theresa762
thank you for making hotel Gloriana you home away from home. sorry for your bad experince. and thanks for your comment. when you come again you will have a choice to choose your room. we you come again we will give you a discount for $55 per night. as we have upgraded since your last visi.