Chukka Caribbean Adventures
Open today: 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Ways to Experience Chukka Caribbean Adventures
from US$108.00
from US$115.00
from US$114.00
from US$65.00
1,009 results
All reviews zip lining horseback riding zion bus river tubing rum punch catamaran tour bob marley cliff jump jerk chicken a lot of fun booze cruise bus driver nine mile white river party boat life jackets royal caribbean
Reviewed January 2, 2018

Avoid this tour and do something else. I had done this tour several years ago and had a great time and really wanted to do it again with my son. I own a horse and have fairly extensive riding experience so I have a pretty good idea as to what I'm talking about. My son, however, does not ride. The tour started out great - the tour guide on the bus, Tanya, was funny and entertaining, However, it all went downhill once we got there. The horses are in terrible condition-- dirty, skinny and starving. There was one that was so sway backed that she should have been retired and put out to pasture somewhere. Notwithstanding, they threw a saddle on that poor thing and stuck someone on her back. They put my son on a horse named Wishbone. Wishbone looked like he either had a dislocated hip or a huge abscess. He was obviously in pain and as a result, mean and cranky. My son has no riding experience and had a terrible time with him as he kept kicking and biting. If that wasn't enough, our guide was Lincoln (or Rasta or Rascal or something like that). He was terrible. Lincoln ignored me (which was fine) and my son (who was having problems with his injured horse) and concentrated on leading another girl. Additionally, some of the other guides (I think in order to impress the other people on the tour) were galloping their horses through the long line of riders. Generally, if something like that happens, horses will bolt. These horses did nothing, which means that it was either a regular occurrence or that they simply had no energy to do anything else. One guide actually cut off a branch from a tree to whip his horse. It was disgusting. When the swim part of the tour started, Lincoln was riding a horse which either was not strong enough to carry him or was in water which was way too deep for his horse to handle. The poor horse was gasping and choking. After first approaching my son and asking about getting a tip, Lincoln then proceeded to latch onto my horse's bridle and spent the majority of the swim portion telling me how he deserved a tip and needed a tip and I should give him a tip. He totally ruined the experience for me. He kept this up until we got back on the beach and told me he would find me later about the tip. At this point, I had no inclination to give him anything. Afterwards, my son and I were waiting to get back onto the bus and he approached me again and asked for a tip. It was incredibly uncomfortable. My son told me it would be an act of charity to give him something, so I gave him $20. If I ever come to Jamaica again, I will never do this tour. It was awful.

1  Thank shorowitz4
Reviewed December 26, 2017

Had a great time...tour was fun and the crew was a great help as we are both amerature riders. The swim in the water was fantastic. Pictures afterward were a bit pricey.

Reviewed December 12, 2017

I WAS APPALLED. These horses aren't fed enough...they're clearly depressed and just going thru the motions because they are forced to. Ribs showing on almost every horse. Spine protruding. One horse had an infected (completely shut eye) and they didn't know it until I pointed it out...they were about to have someone ride it. This is a terrible place and I can't believe anyone would ride these horses for their own pleasure knowing it's bringing harm to the poor creatures.

CHUKKATours, Guest Relations Manager at Chukka Caribbean Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2017

"Hi Jennifer M,

We thank you for leaving feedback on our Horseback Ride tour at our Chukka Cove Ranch.

The Horseback Ride & Swim tour is the very first tour we started our operation in 1983. It is especially dear to us because the founders and Managing Directors of this company are horse lovers and avid polo enthusiasts. We understand your concern for the well-being of our horses and would like to reassure you that they are given the best care, partaking in a wholesome feeding and rehabilitation schedule, as well as frequent veterinary check-ups for their health and well-being. Between and after tours, the horses are kept in stables and are kept cool and fed in these areas and all horses are rotated so they remain well rested.

We are very saddened by the feedback you have left us and would once again like to reassure you that we will continue to take the best care of our horses.

If you would like to follow up with us on the care and condition of our horses, please feel free to reach out to us through our website."

Reviewed December 2, 2017 via mobile

We did the ocean horse back riding excursion. We chose it just because it was unlike anything we’ve done before. We were picked up by a bus in the morning and brought there, the road in was horrendous and literally painful driving over. Once you get there they give you a helmet and have you wait to get on a horse. They had us stand single file and wait to get on the horses and it took quite some time because there were around 20 of us, it was extremely hot and uncomfortable waiting both on the horse and waiting in line. We went for a short ride around the farm we then dismounted and we’re separated into 2 groups. We then were back on the horses and went back into the water where we road deep enough that the horses heads were all that was out of the water. While in the water some of the horses were quite scared and started freaking out and one in our group was bucked off and had to swim to catch up with everyone, the same horse kept defecting in the water and at one point we all had to go threw it which was quite gross. Then when we got back to shallow water and my boyfriend horse started bucking and almost kicked him off also.

Reviewed November 29, 2017 via mobile

Awesome tour and our guide Gene Lilly was amazing. He kept things interesting and entertaining. The Blue Hole was great with awesome guides Dre & Devon, super nice young men and really looked after the youngsters. The jerk chicken lunch was fantastic and the best meal we had outside the resort. Our person at lunch “the Jamaican Irishman” Alan Reilly was a lot of fun.