“Incredible stay!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago
“Incredible stay!”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Amazing stay at Jamaica Inn to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. I called before arrival to ask advice about best room choices, asking if it was worth upgrading to a cottage for our special occasion. The staff person assured us the cottages were very special, and she was absolutely right. The regular rooms also seemed very nice, with wonderful outside living rooms, but our cottage was by far the best place we've ever stayed. Cottage 3 provided us with gorgeous, immaculate accommodations, with ultimate privacy, our own plunge pool, private access to the ocean, a pair of rafts and a private deck to sun on, and another area to relax or dine outside. Inside was a heavenly-to-sleep-in bed, charming living area and romantic daybed overlooking the ocean, incredible marble bath with walk-in shower, outdoor shower, and soaking tub. The best thing was opening up the huge glass doors every morning to let the sunshine and ocean views in- incredible! Service is attentive but discreet- anything we needed was taken care of immediately, including locating a missing piece of luggage & delivering it to our cottage. Many of the staff members have worked at the Inn for a very long time, including the beach bartender Teddy (great jokes along with delicious rum punches or margaritas!) and the gardener, Henry (take a garden tour- the grounds are amazing). Manager Mary Phillips is gracious and welcoming and seems to effortlessly keep things running smoothly. We had an all-inclusive plan that included meals & drinks- we had breakfast delivered to the cottage, ate lunch lounging on the beautiful spacious beach, and enjoyed dressing for dinner under the stars & listening to the music every night. Food was very good, service excellent. One night we returned from dinner to find a romantic candlelit path across our room, another night there was champagne chilling and an anniversary message in flowers on the bed. We snorkeled, paddled kayaks, and enjoyed a couples massage at the spa listening to the ocean crash on the rocks below the spa deck. We thought we'd go do a few things in town, but we were perfectly happy relaxing and enjoying all the Inn had to offer. We had a chance to meet some wonderful guests, most were from different parts of Europe, and found that many have returned to Jamaica Inn for many years, which says a lot about the quality of the place. I know we look forward to a return visit! Thank you, Jamaica Inn staff, for an incredible stay.

Room Tip: If I couldn't go back to Cottage 3, I'd try the premium rooms that are directly over the oce...
8 Thank irishgirldln

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (432)
Reviewed 23 April 2012

My boyfriend and I had a wonderful time at the Jamaica Inn. The beach is beautiful and quiet. The rooms and views are lovely. Mary and the staff is like family- most of them have worked there for years. We met one of the owners, Eric, upon arrival and he was clearly involved in the running of the place. The inn has been owned by the same family since the '50's and doesn't feel like a chain style resort at all. It is a special place to visit and I would recommend the Jamaica Inn to my friends and family.

Room Tip: all the rooms are really nice- you can't go wrong.
3 Thank limerickphoenix
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 19 April 2012

We have been here before, but in all honesty, I was never sure we would be able to come back. When it became apparent that we would, indeed, be able to once again enjoy everything that is The Jamaica Inn, I could hardly contain myself with excitement. If you are looking for a place to enjoy a vacation with your children, this is not for you. The best thing about this place is that children are discouraged, not encouraged. When we actually arrived at the gates, I wanted to get out of the car at that moment to walk up to the lobby by myself, savoring every possible sense of this marvelous place. If you want to dine in shorts and flip flops, this is not for you, although you can still stay here and enjoy room service. This is about enjoying the finest things in life that the tropics have to offer, in an atmosphere that does those things justice. There is no nicer beach, to which the staff attends meticulously, and no better cuisine. No crowding of chairs along the shoreline, and no lining up for anything. Just plain paradise. With any luck, we willI be able to enjoy the sound of tree frogs at night again.

Room Tip: The deluxe veranda suites are heaven. You will not be nearly as happy in a room on the second floor...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank KFM9275
The Cotswolds
Reviewed 11 April 2012

We received a charming welcome to a beautiful (upgraded) room and private terrace after our tour of the establishment. No TV or radio, tea making or mini bar, one could use and charge iphones and pads - wonderful. Morning tea and coffee was available on the main terrace also afternoon tea. It was all very civilised in an english colonial style and mostly patronised by Americans. Our host Mary Phillips keeps everything to a very high standard. The private beach is a pretty bay no suitable snorkelling, but canoes and a sailing boat are to hand and plenty of sun beds. We were surprised and delighted to receive a complimentary drink served to us on the beach. The food was excellent and mainly quite expensive but with all the little extras and the evening band it proved to be good value. We had difficulty with communications before our arrival but it was all worthwhile, Jamaica Inn is exclusive, luxurious, expensive, quiet and relaxing and we liked it very much. We also stayed at Strawberry Hill and Jakes during this holiday.

Room Tip: All the rooms look very good
5 Thank Plovers
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2012

The experience of the previous reviewer happened 3 years ago! I would ignore it if I were you. We stayed at Jamaica Inn for two days and I absolutely loved it. The beach is private and the sand like powder sugar. The rooms have a large covered outside lounge where you can take your breakfast and then walk straight to the caribbean sea for a swim! There is snorkelling a few hundred metres from the beach and beautiful corals to look at. We were there in November and the sea was so warm and calm. You can float forever on the floating mats provided, Stripe beer in hand. I did not find security to be an issue in Jamaica but then again I travelled all over the world and take a few precautions. Do not show jewellery or flash your cash, be polite but firm to everybody. We rented a car for a week and found everyone we met very friendly and open. I found everything apart from the food to be perfect at Jamaica inn. We had dinner there one night and the food was mediocre at best! Otherwise it is a perfect beach hotel. Take a taxi or rent a car to eat out. There are options around

Room Tip: Stay in a room on the lower level to be able to walk straight to the sea from your veranda
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Epicureanpenguin
New York City, New York
Reviewed 8 April 2012

The first thing I noticed as I dove into the property by the guard house, after a long hard drive on the “wrong” side of the road from Montego Bay, was that the driveway had been freshly repainted; not repaved as it needed to be.
Unfortunately this first impression is true of the entire Jamaica Inn.
Don’t get me wrong, sitting on our large veranda, in the beautiful Jamaican weather, gazing at sea, or dining under in the open air under the sparkling night starlight was magical.
The Jamaica Inn is very relaxing and it is a perfect size resort; easy to get to everything quickly
The staff, is very friendly and many have been with the since the Owner was a boy.
Teddy the beach bartender has been with the property 60 years and others have been nearly as long. They care and they do a good job.
Unfortunately, sometimes longevity breed complacency, especially with managers who have to make tough decisions and owners who have to pay for it; especially when longstanding return guests do not demand it or maybe even do not want it.
The property is tired, the main structures were built in the late 1940’s and needs an infusion of money and attention.
Our room, attached to our large verandah, was small, as one would expect from a 1950’s Ho Jo’s. The size did not bother us as it was separated from the verandah by wooden shutters that we kept open most of the time. Unfortunately we almost had to leave the shutter open, as they had bowed over the years so that it was difficult to open them.
The bathroom was so tiny I had to exhale to fit into the shower and we had to move everything off the ink and shelves to get space for our toiletries; still having to leave some on the dresser (which was close in the small room)
The bath had recently been redone, so was modern which underscores my observation that management and the owner does not look at what clients may want but how can they do the minimum as inexpensively and quickly as possible. There was sufficient room on the huge verandah to take a few feet of it and enlarge the bath and move the intervening closet but one either did not think through their goals or think that at the Jamaica Inn needs to reach out for new visitors may want more acceptable accommodations.
The fan in the room wasold and noise as was rthe a/c. The small room also was plain.
I understand from talking with fellow guests and the ever-present management that Jamaica Inn is full year-to-year at certain times with long time repeated guests. I am happy for them, but this level of business also instills the attitude, why change; or I would say improve.
The Inn is building some new bigger suites, so some more modern accommodations are available but they are on the edge of the property and do not look at the beach.
I heard some of the units had sold time-shares over the years, which changes he mix of the guests.
I found nearby Ocho Rios to be charm less and over run with day-trippers from the omnipresent mega-cruise ships. Without interesting nearby restaurants 10 days of dining at a single spot can bet boring.
On balance, for me the Jamaica inn was hard to get to, being situated so far from an airport and a I do not have a private jet so cannot use nearby Ian Fleming Field, I am not certain that I would repeat my visit. I think if I do venture towards Ocho Rios again I would try the newly refurbished and expanded Golden Eye.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank venamo
JamaicaInn, Manager at Jamaica Inn, responded to this review, 18 April 2012
We would like to thank the reviewer for their thoughts as the input of our guests is very valuable to us. We just wanted to inform everyone that we recently installed new A/Cs and shutters in all of the rooms. Also we go to great lengths to keep the hotel in it's original style which actually costs more money than if we tried to make noticeable changes. Of course we have to keep up with the times and have added things like complimentary wireless internet in all of our rooms etc...but we do our best to make our improvements/advancements blend in with our original style. Just to clarify, our Cottages are located on a cliff right above the sea and they all have their own steps going down to the water.
Middlebury, Vermont
Reviewed 29 March 2012

My partner and I enjoyed 6 nights at the Jamaica Inn this Feb. Beautiful rooms, impeccable service, fine food, a gorgeous beach and a price tag to match. We availed activities such as fishing, snorkeling, "The Falls" (go with Tony. They get you there by boat before the crowds.) We toured north of the Inn and enjoyed Firefly, scenery (skip the Blue Lagoon) and had a grilled lobster lunch on the beach. We lounged on the beach and in the water. We used the spa and were a bit disappointed. The services and setting were fine but we could hear outside music and voices which took away from the experience. Though we enjoyed the food, we felt it was a bit pricey, conversely we thought the room was a value at $700 The food prices felt a little like were a captured audience. Overall a fine time. Though we generally like to see new places the Jamaica Inn could well be one of the few to make it to our return list.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
#2 of 62 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,021 reviews
73.9 km away
Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall

Been to Jamaica Inn? Share your experiences!