“Beach Paradise”
Review of Carib-Ocho Rios

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ocho Rios
Carib-Ocho Rios
Reviewed 16 June 2010

Fantastic 1 week vacation. Within walking distance to all Ochi has to offer: grocery stores, shopping, craft market, open market, dinning, beach etc. Great reef-snorkeling directly off the beach. Catamaran excursions and para-sailing available. The T-shirt shop is at the end of the condo driveway ans is by far the best prices and place to pick up souviners (althought not necessarily the best variety but still good. I would consider this store your 1 stop souviner place. Local food is cheap and safe to eat. You can take a taxi to Scotchies open cookhouse, just west of Ochi, for an amazing open grill restaurant with delicious typical local dishes.
Clean, spacious apartment where privacy is respected. Balcony directly over the ocean and can see fish and manta rays from the balcony. Can even safely drink the tap water.
Condo security is always present and effective. I felt safe walking through Ochi on my own after the first couple of days. Locals are friendly and helpful.
You can't visit Ochi without a trip to Dunn's River Falls. It is breathtaking, refreshing and the experience will be etched in your mind forever. I wasn't able to make it to Bob Marley's birth place or Green Grotto Caves or the local gardens but definately next time.
My favorite part was chilling in the hamock, on the beach and in a a little tropical hideaway adjacent to the beach. There are local crafts, food and entertainment available directly on the beach which is very convenient.
I definately rate this Jamaician condo experience at the Carib at a 9 and would recomend it to my best friends.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank Zeus4ever

Reviewed 28 April 2010

I am a native Jamaican (living abroad) and in every aspect completely spoiled and picky about where I stay. I grew up going to Carib Ocho Rios every year in the 80's and 90's. So when I got the oppertunity to take my own family to the property on vacation I was elated but hesitant. I wondered if the property would live up to my memories and I was worried that the age of the property would show. I was extremely surprised. The 1 bedroom unit we stayed in "420" was imaculate with hard wood floors upstairs, double pained french doors and windows, beautiful white tiles, comfortable and clean furniture... My husband, toddler daughter and I couldn't have been happier. The beach was perfect for us it was very calm, clear water and no seeweed (my pet peeve) and the option of getting a drink or a quick meal while on the beach was great too. We had a lady "Ms Elaine" that came and cooked and cleaned for us. The best food I could have asked for and she was extremely detailed and professional - all around a great fun person. The pictures online do not do the property justice. If you are looking for a get away at a great price this is the place. Just be careful in selecting the unit you book since the renovations depend on the owner. We plan on staying here again every time we take vacation. Few cons: road leading to condos is in disrepair and the pool does not work.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank simiyah
Reviewed 14 March 2010

First i should say. the beach is awsome i totally love it.. the security guards are very fiendly ad nice. they always greet u with a smile its like home away from home .....

what really pisses me off about the carib is that the MADE DONT DO A GOOD JOB. i was their for a month and as u know they provde u with kitchen ware.. and omg i was shocked to see dead roaches i have never seen that much roaches in my life dead roaches were in the pots on the knife all over the forks ... we have to go out and get our own...
at 1 point my fiance went to the bathroom then i heard screaming so loud i freak out.. she came running like a crazy its a roach about 1.5 inches... big black eww roach

the maid is like super lazy whenever she show up to clean the room.. she always ask " DO YOU WANT ANY CLEANING TODAY " like wat the omg we sleep in the bed without a sheet change for two days change the sheets woman. without this maid it would be a perfect vacation... ok she came in and clean she take 10 minutes to do the room and kitchen. well my fiance always do it (kitchen)...... my fiance told me at one point the maid was washing the mop in the kitchen sink.... GEEEEZZ .. then she sit around watching jerry springer maury and laugh her guts out.... another thing guys the maid will go through ur computer am telling u... my fiance caught her going through hers.. use master lock.

KITCHEN
the stove will electricute ur all day and night everyday and they never fix it
the frige works about 10 days of the month we were their

ROOM NUMBER

watch out for the maid... everyone their was nice well the maid try to be the only thing i dont like about her is that she dont do her job ... i tip her though.... i feel bad so i did

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2009

Carib is a beautiful property tucked away about a 5 minute drive/10 minute walk to downtown Ocho Rios. There are 4 buildings and each has about 20 different apartments, each one is owned by a different owner. I stay there every time I go to Ocho Rios and every time I get there it feels like home!
The one-bedroom units have 2 floors, on the first- a small, clean kitchen, a living/dining open area and a powder room. Upstairs the bedroom, usually with 2 queen bed and a bathroom. Each condo has AMAZING views and a spacious balcony. A maid comes every other day and cleans EVERYTHING, they are always so pleasant and helpful, in complete contrast to the staff at Sunset Jamaica Grande. These women appreciate anything that you leave behind as a gift (food, soap etc.) and it is expected that you tip them in some way.
The two-bedrooms have two full, clean bathrooms and BIG balconies, big living/dining area and kitchen, all on one floor.
The property is directly on the water and includes Mahogany Beach, a cute, small, semi-private beach with a bar.

My favorite thing about Carib is that it is very private and quiet and has the most beautiful views! Sleep with the windows open and you will fall asleep to the sound of crashing waves!

TIPS:
-There is 24-hour security but be careful walking to downtown late at night
-ALWAYS CLOSE THE WINDOWS AND LOCK THE DOORS (just in case)
-Bring rubber shoes and you can enter the ocean only steps from your room
-Stop by a grocery store and buy bottled water and other groceries to keep in your condo, which will help to save money
-Don't leave food on the counters, you can put snacks in a bowl and cover with them with a plate instead

Check out my pics

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled solo
3  Thank onelove1979
Reviewed 29 August 2008

I visited Carib-ocho Rios unit 423 in August 5 for 3 weeks and loved every moment. The rooms were exceptional clean and smell great. The 2 level condo surpass my expectation with beauty and elegance. The beautiful grounds made me feel like I was in HEAVEN, the beach was clean and well kept and very friendly locals.

The restaurants in the area are located next to the beach with cool breeze.

I would recommend this place to friend and family.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank reid15613
Reviewed 9 April 2008

The review by "Baby2Nice" might be about a different hotel as the amenities don't seem to be that of the condominiums I stayed at. The property's official name is Carib Ocho Rios Condominium.

I had the opportunity to stay at this property twice; once in December and most recently in April. While it may not be the Ritz it is quite affordable ($50-$75 per ngt) with the two story apt on the high end and the garden style apt on the low end. Most condos/hotels in this price range in Ocho Rios I designate "stay at your own risk" as these others are frequented by undesirables or located in the noisy/busy section of town. This property is located about a 10 minute walk into town in an area called Pineapple( for those who don't need the exercise taxis are readily available off the main rd).

The amenities include beach access (3 min from your door), with a restaurant on the beach, 24 Hr security and daily housekeeping (Marlene the housekeeper is great). The condos are individually owned and therefore are not consistent in quality, as some owners choose not to invest in the upkeep of their property. My family stayed in Apt 421 & 423 (both are 1 BR/2 Full beds,11/2 bath - two stories, I think the sofa was a pull out).

Apt.421 - PROS
Patio was about 300 yards from the ocean. Sound of ocean at night was soothing.
CONS
Needs a fresh coat of paint. Needs new refridgerator; iced over, doors seem to be falling off. Stove was very old and all the numbers of the dials were erased so it was hard to tell Hi from Low.
Countertop was a thin strip of plyboard covered with 4x4 tile on the surface only.
Pots, pans and kettle were on their last leg especially the kettle which no longer had a lever.
Bathroom tiles were mismatched, bath rug was actually a kitchen rug and it was filthy. Towels dingy, so definately bring your own. Fixtures were old and dingy with no hot water available from any faucet except shower & kitchen.
Sofa slipcover even though floral looked like it did in December; needed to be washed.
Bedroom has 2 full size beds which slept OK. Curtains are sheers so I was up at 6am every morning with the sun. Bring something to cover the eyes if you value sleep.

Apt.423 - PROS
Identical in layout to 421 except it seems to be newly reburbished. Kitchen appliances were all new, countertops spotless.
Walls painted a cheerful yellow throughout. Sofa seemed clean, beds comfortable. Everything well appointed. Overall a much better apartment than 421. Ask to see others if your're not satisfied.

For the price range this is the best DIY property in Ocho Rios if you're on a budget.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
4  Thank ATLtraveler
Reviewed 5 October 2007

Brilliant location! Staff are friendly and helpful. Great value for money.
The evening entertainment needs some working on, but the disco is great. Its a nice way to meet and socialise with others staying at the hotel. It has plenty of bars, even one that is open 24hrs a day!!
There is a good selection of food at all of the restaurants on the property. Although it can feeel a little repetative, bujt dont let that spoil things because you can always go out of the hotel and eat cheaply at one of the restauants in town.
Around and about the hotel there are clubs, bars, casinos and plenty of shopping outlets. Just make sure that you put your haggling face in, and you will be able to catch a good bargain!! =o)

I had such a great time, that i just got back on Wednesday and am already getting the money to book and go out there again very soon!! I went on a girls weeks holiday, but this time i wanna take the kids!! Its great fr all types of clientel... singles, families and the older generation!

Give it a go... HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank baby2nice