“Dated but nice clean quiet resort”

Shaw Park Beach Hotel & Spa
Ranked #29 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
ontario
“Dated but nice clean quiet resort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2011

We wanted to try a smaller resort and were pleasantly surprised by Shaw Park. Although the resort is dated, the staff are all top notch and very helpful and friendly. This is a type of hotel that makes one feel relaxed and comfortable. Not too big, not too small. We were lucky enough to have a ground floor room exactly 30ft from the ocean. The beach was beautiful and well kept. Tea & Coffee was available 24hrs a day and the bars were very well stocked. Didn't have a bad meal the whole time we were there. Will definately visit this resort again!

• Stayed January 2011
7 Thank fxsti380

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

First you need to know that we got our vacation at Shaw Park dirt cheap through an online auction. We were just looking for a winter beach break. Overall, Shaw Park met our needs in this department.
Food - very good actually. One thing you should know is that the "long pants" policy for men is not enforced, but staff treat you MUCH better if you do dress for dinner. They really seemed to appreciate efforts at class.
Beach - wasn't bad. We had storms the first few days, so the water was all stirred up. Snorkeling wasn't really doable at the beach at Shaw Park when we were there.
Facilities - some parts are quite nice, in an old-fashioned, kitcshy way. The lobby in particular is very pretty. The rooms were so-so. The first one we were given was pretty awful - it had two beds and was on the first floor and REEKED of mold. I explained that 1) we are newlyweds and would like to share a bed and 2) I am asthmatic and allergic to mold. We were allowed to change rooms based on this, though I can't say the staff was overly enthusiastic in accomodating the request. One note about the facilities: the day we arrived, the entire resort had no water. I gather this was not the resort's fault, as some other infrastructure work had knocked out the sewer lines. The hotel did a passable job at supplying potable water, but for those first 35 hours, the whole place was pretty miserable and disgusting. Several people (including us) tried to find alternative arrangements (even at Sandals, which for one night would have eaten up all the money we saved by booking Shaw Park!). To do this, we were forced to use our cell phones, because the phones in room went to the desk, and the desk staff refused to call other resorts, saying they had already checked and everything was booked solid. (This turned out to be true, except for Sandals which could have housed us for 2 of our 6 nights).
Entertainment - some was rather pleasant, it mostly consisted of some live music after dinner. This resort doesn't really have any planned activities and seems to be geared toward an older crowd (we're in our 30s) but was still pleasant enough. We liked sitting out on our balcony after dinner and even though we overlooked the entertainment area, we weren't really bothered by noise as everything generally winds down by 11 p.m.
Staff - the only memorably one was Smiley, everything you read about him here is true. You must see him sing on karaoke night.
Guests - if it matters to you, it seemed like everyone there was Canadian! Down to earth, not a snobby crowd.
Overall - we had a fine time, despite the lack of water and the weather not being too cooperative. Given the ridiculously low price, I think we got exactly what we wanted - some time on the beach in the sun. Next time, though, I think we'll spring for a more upscale joint.
One last thing - if you are debating between Shaw Park and Club Ambiance, we've been to both and they have a lot in common, but Club Ambiance was more fun. We'd go back there just for the giant chess set on the beach!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank ChicagoLinguist
michaelgayle, Director of Sales at Shaw Park Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 12 August 2011
We thank all our pass guest who have taken time out to share their views on the hotel of which we value their concerns. We do realize the challenges face when operation a hotel that as been through the years and have a few maintenance issues. However, there is a lot of positives that can be said about our rooms, beach , Food and Beverage and staff. As we begin to attract more guess to our property base on these there will be more improvements to operational issues in time.
Paterson, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2011

I reciently visited your hotel and was very disappointed. I was told that entertainment was free but apart from the same outdated reggae music played every day when some one remember to play some thing, there was nothing to enjoy.For the week I was there I counted about five or six guest all complaining about how dissapointed they were, I soon realised why there were hardly any one staying there.Your restrictions were pointless if not bizzar. There is a piano in your lobby and you advise your guest not to touch it. I think you should market your hotel as all exclusive and not all inclusive. You need to look at other hotels and learn some thing. I would not recommend any one to visit Shaw park Hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
8 Thank trips2p

Travellers are raving about these Ocho Rios hotels

Wethersfield, CT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2011

Spent last week at Shaw Park and was very impressed. The reviews were off putting but decided to try in on my own. We ususally go to Club Ambiance but wanted that same small quality but with a natural beach. Thats exactly what we got. We were upgraded to a suite with direct access from our patio to the beach and swimming. The room, which consisted of bedrooms, large living room with two couches and 2 chairs with a dining table for 5 people. The patio had chaise loungers, table and chairs. All was clean, (no musty smell. There were only a scattering of guests, ranging from 14 one night down to 3 another. Because of this, there were no buffets and all food was cooked to order. The meals were wonderful. We had choices every day and if nothing agreeable to you on the menu the chef would prepare what you wanted as long as he had the ingredients. The staff was very accomodating especially waiters Linval and Dean. Hazel our maid was wonderful and the gardener, Denton McCormick (?) was so informative and gave me a tour of the wonderful tropical flowers he grows there. I would highly recommend this establishment if you want peace and quiet, a wonderful natural beach for swimming and just enjoy the view. It is not for people interested in nightclubs, entertainment and high end resorts. In my view it is one of the most enjoyable places I have stayed in Jamaica and will definitely be returning slow.
The only drawback was the food took so long to prepare, but you know it as cooked to order and didn't mind waiting. Candlelight dinners on the water were very romantic with superb service.

Room Tip: All rooms are beach front.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
10 Thank cm0884
Nipawin, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2011

First off the pros. The service is excellent. The food was very good. The rooms are clean. Smiley the bartender is the best.

The cons. The bar closes at 11 pm. The disco was only open 2 of the 7 nights. We had the same singer singing the same songs 3 nights. You could not get any food after 9 pm until 7 am.

This is a good place to stay if you just want to chill by the pool or the beach.

• Stayed April 2011
4 Thank MikeSask
Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2011

We stayed at Shaw Park the week of March 5 for 7 days. I now know why everyone was writing all those bad reviews before our we left on our trip. They wanted to ensure that no one returns to the hotel so that it would be available when they want to return and book their vacation again.

You need to remember that this is a 3 star resort and not like the 5 star Grand Bahia's, Riu, Breezes, etc. However, I think this resort sets itself well beyond those resorts. We had 5 star treatment at 3 star pricing. What can I say about the resort, the staff were amazing - sorry WAY too many names to remember the entire staff - although I'm sure we did meet all the staff, as the resort is small. The food was amazing, and no issues of running out of food (even when the criuse ships came in - which was 2 days). For people to say that we were told to wait until the cruise ship people ate first ??? Not sure if they stayed at the same resort I did or not ??? There were absolutely no issues. There was actually a line up when the cruise people came to visit, and when I say a line up - I mean 2 -3 people in front of you. The food had a lot of Jamacian recipes - which I personally asked for 2 recipes and was gladly provided with them.

Free wi-fi in the lobby (and sometimes I actually got it downstairs outside at the buffet). Bacon is available, but you need to ask your waiter for it, it is not readily available in a buffet dish - which ensures it's fresh and warm.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the extra feature of the gas station/convenience store within a 5 - 10 minute walk. go back out to the main road, and turn right, it's on the left hand side. It's a grocery store and liquor store in one where you can pick up everything that you can possibly need/want.

Entertainment - Denver is jumping from 9 AM until ??? - whenever the last person goes to bed. I don't know how he keeps going and only has Sunday off. All the staff made us feel very welcome and inviting and would have absolutely no hesitation to return!!!! Oh - we did not get the deal of the Roulette and will still return at the regular price ... we absolutely loved it.

Private message me if you have any additional questions, and I will be happy to answer.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
8 Thank Linda007
fredricton, nb
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2011

lets get to it, my wife and two upper teenage childern had an outstanding time here. The hotel is located directley on a private beech no scrambling for chairs and the like. Ths staff make this resort, from bartenders to the entertainment guy, yes they now have someone incharge of entertainment. The hotel is old, but the rooms were clean and neat. Pool (who cares it was further away than the beech). This hotel has all of the usual amenities disco, good food (Jamaician food if you want fries stay home).

Almost all tours and daily get aways in the area start at the hotet no long bus rides to get anywhere. 20min walk down town, $2 cab ride back.

We simply enjoyed our stay and my wife informs me that we are going back

Room Tip: take a taxi from the top of the road.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
134.2 km away
Fun Holiday Beach Resort
134.3 km away
SuperClubs Rooms on the Beach Negril

Been to Shaw Park Beach Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!