“Avoid Unit 1-4C, It's Full of Ants, Ants, Ants!”

Turtle Beach Towers
“Avoid Unit 1-4C, It's Full of Ants, Ants, Ants!”
Reviewed 31 July 2011

Shortly after booking unit 1-4C, I read several reviews on Trip Advisory about this unit having an ant problem I immediately emailed Prem, the CEO in charge and made him aware of my concern as well as requested a refund. I was told the unit did not have an ant problem as it was regularly treated. We arrived on July 19 and guess what? As soon as I stepped in the kitchen, ants were all over the kitchen counter. I immediately sent an email and shortly thereafter the woman in charge if the unit showed up with a can of spray. She sprayed the counter and everything around it and acted as if that was the end of the ants. I insisted on speaking with management so she called someone. The woman I spoke with told me she would move us to another 2-bedroom unit but not until the next day. While sleeping sitting in the livingroom chair as well as sitting on rhe sofa, we noticed ants crawling on some papers I sat on the sofa as well as ants were scurrying around the coffee table. The next morning we were contacted and told there were no other 2 bedroom units available. However we were offered a unit at the Silver Sands location. Well, when we arrived there, they wanted us to pay more money to stay there and the unit they showed us was in disarray, cushions were on the floor, the bed wasn't made and it was obvious it needed to be cleaned. At that point we asked fir our money back. The only positive thing in this experience was they did refund our money. When we left I was very concerned about being ripped off but before leaving I requested something in writing regarding their promise to refund our money on that same date. Nobody should have to live with ants crawling all over the place, especially not while on vacation! What was most disappointing is that they were made aware of my concern a month or so before our arrival yet nothing was done, that's poor service. If you want to see the video I took of the ants, it will be on YouTube by the end of the week, I've gotta get my kids to post it as I don't know how. Lol!
PS
We drove to Montego Bay and stayed at Half Moon Resort in Rose Hall, our 2 weeks there was wonderful, NO ants. Google Half Moon, it's beautiful!

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank Cegies

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
NJ
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Originally we planned to stay at the Carib, but my apartment was booked so we stayed at Apt 38D in Turtle Beach Towers for 10 days. Upon arrival the apartment was a little musty, but once we opened up the balcony doors and the windows there was a wonderful breeze that bought in all the great smells of Jamaica. The apartment was cleaned very well. Our housekeeper came every other day. No bugs. Thank you Ms. Linneth.

The entire apartment is air conditioned - works very well but wasn't needed during the day. I enjoyed sitting out on the balcony in the evening and watching the kids play in the pool. It was nice to hear kids laughing. You get a good view of the main road with all the attractions Margaritaville (there is also a Devon House Ice Cream place in the Village), the mountains and a view of the ocean - slight frontal view of cruise ship docked, and the pool. From your living room window you get a good view of the main road - great for people watching. On the days the cruise ships came in, there was a steel band that played across the road.

I can't say enough about the location. You are in the center of everything. There is an onsite food place - ate there once for breakfast. There are tons of places to eat and drink. Down the road closer to Fisherman's Point there's a little club that does Karaoke on Tuesday nights. Security is very visible.I felt very safe and I never worried about my belongings in the apartment either.

Becasue we had such great weather and everything really is right there we walked everywhere. When we needed transportation - John was a great. Just ask for "John down the Road" if you need to go anywhere.

I will definitely go back - but I would like to stay in Building 1 - only because I would like more of an ocean view. Otherwise as far as the cost and location, this was a great choice.

I booked through MySilverSands and would like to thank Angella and Desrine for adjusting my dates and Kimesha for checking in on us while we were there.

Michele

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 18 April 2011

We had a wonderful stay at Turtle Beach Towers! The location was wonderful. Right in the heart of everything. My husband and two children and I were stayed at the condo for one week in December and we had an amazing time. Everything was literally within walking distance. Easy access to the beach and a huge swimming pool that the kids loved. The apartment was a great value for your money. We saved so much money because we were able to cook our meals. The apartment was extremely clean, spacious and the view of the beach was amazing. The service was great and the staff very friendly and accommodating. The owners were very responsive to our questions about nearby attractions and provided us with a wealth of information relating to attractions for the kid, restaurants and shopping. We did go to The Dolphin Cove which by the way was an amazing experience for all of us. We had a wonderful family vacation and would choose no other place in Ocho Rios to spend our next one. Can’t wait to return again!"

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 March 2011

I stayed in 1-7F. Firstly...this property is located in an awesome location. There was great security. Check-in was very easy. I just went to tower with the front desk staff, showed my reservation print out and was given the keys to the apartment. The apartment was well cleaned except for in the kitchen. The kitchen counter was dirty from previous guests. At the time of check in the refrigerator was not working but the next day repairmen came to fix it- which was great. There were small ants all over the bathroom, I had eco-friendly insecticide which I used to try to get rid of them, but they kept coming back. The studio apartment was equipped with an air conditioner, a fan, a queen bed, cable tv, stove/oven, refrigerator, and microwave. During my stay, I did have to use the laundro facilities. I would have preferred to go to a laundro-mat that was in town but it was closed and I needed the items that day, so I used the laundro-mat on the premises. The laundro-mat attendant was nice but she charged me an astronomical amount to wash a few items- charging me a little over $1000 JD ($13US). If I wasnt such in a bind I would have NEVER used the services for that price! Because that definitely would not have been the price had I been a local. There was no internet service or phone available in the apartment- which would have been better.

I would definitely consider staying at Turtle Towers again, although I may stay at another apartment there....

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2011

Had a lovely holiday, we stayed in the apartment 1-4c turtle towers the apartment for suitable for the five of us. Two bedrooms and two bathrooms,a very good size living room with sofa bed kitchen with washing machine and dryer and the use of a microwave which came in very useful. On the negatvie side, there were lots of small red ants but after a while you get used to them. Mrs Campbell the apartment cleaner was not very helpful and found that her cleaning methods were not up to standard. It took over 48hours to change a blown light bulb in the bathroom.
During the three weeks period she only changed our bed once, we had to wash and change the linen ourself, as well as our own cleaning. There was no point using Mrs Campbell, we decided to our own cleaning. Security was tight and we appreciated that all visitors to the complex was vetted and could not enter without checks being carried out. what was also nice is that you could have visitors, as at some resorts visitors are not allowed. Would i stay there again the answer would be yes. As the apartment was good value and situated in a good location minutes away from the beach, clubs and main street of Ochi.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank jackyhylton
mysilversands, Marketing Agent at Turtle Beach Towers, responded to this review, 1 February 2011
This apartment was not booked by this reviewer. According to our practice, while the guests were in house, we called the Party Leader, who booked the accommodation, and we were told that everything was just fine. The only complaint we received was that on day 4 of their stay, the kettle broke. Since it was the New Year holiday, it took 2 days to replace the kettle.

The holiday went so well that these guests extended their two week stay to three weeks! Our goodbye call to the Party Leader also confirmed that everything was just fine. As CEO of Mysilversands, I often write to my guests after they return home to gain their feedback. I did this and the Party Leader responded that everything was fine and any complaints would be minor. Even then Party Leader did not make any complaint.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 September 2010

My wife and I wed in Montego Bay and then spent a week in Ocho Rios, staying in this flat. We both highly recommend - the flat is near to everything you will want to do and if you wanted to go anywhere not within walking distance, transport/taxis are very easy to arrange (there are always several drivers right outside the complex).

All of the people working at the complex are very nice, and the beach is literally a 1 minute walk away - there is also a shopping complex across the road and Dunns River Falls is a 5 minute drive away.

The apartment is very nice and clean, and for all those couples who hate the '2 single beds tied together' trend of vacation homes/hotels, you'll be pleased to hear that there is a true king size bed in the bedroom (and the mirror on the ceiling was highly appreciated lol). The housekeeper Annette is also very nice.

We had the honeymoon of a lifetime and again would highly recommend.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jai78
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 28 August 2010

I have been staying at TBT for the past 10 years. The staff there treat everyone with respect and are extremely helpful. They all know me and my children and treat us like family. Ms. Stephanie is the BEST! She has checked for me and my children for years making sure we were comfortable at all times. My extended family just loves her. I tell everyone to stay here because TBT can afford you the total Jamaican experience. Who wants to stay inclusive and only see the resort. The real fun is on the outside. Meeting the natives, walking around, trying authentic food, catching the taxi, seeing Dunn's River Falls, taking a ride through Fern Gully, riding through Blue Mountain, horse riding in Chukka Cove.....need I say more. Then coming home to your condo, taking a long hot shower and resting up for the night life. Margaritaville is across the street and if your lucky you can enjoy the music from your balcony and have your own little party inside. If you on the beachside you can enjoy the beautiful sunsets over the water while listening to the waves splashing on the beach. Heavenly! So to all the people who leave negative comments perhaps you should stay up the road at one of the inclusives and get exactly what you pay for .....

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family