All reviews close to downtown jamaican experience laid back ocean view ochi davis ships
Reviewed February 28, 2012

Silver Seas would have been a wonderful hotel in its day. Sadly due to much needed updating and maintenance all round it is no longer the grand lady she should still be. The location is central and on the water's edge - a rare find; rooms were clean and spacious; pool area was actually quite nice and pool water was pristine clean; breakfast was great and the outside dining area lovely ( had to remind the waitress of what was supposed to be served) - service not even average; views from the room balcony was fantastic. My daughter (9) really liked the place as she thought of it as a place to explore with many nooks and crannies and 'secrets' to be discovered. We spotted a large Stingray in the bay as well as swam with many beautiful tropical fish. The fact is it's very inexpensive and I would deem it value for money - considering the alternatives are all-inclusive resorts at 10x the price. Please make sure you keep your room secure and lock away all valuables.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank NatalieF101
aimeer, Director of Sales at Silver Seas Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2012

Dear Natalie,

We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your review and for your astute analysis--we are so glad you deemed the hotel “value for money” and enjoyed the location and view. In March we instituted a new dual maintenance system with one person and staff in charge of room maintenance and the other in charge of public areas and it has worked out quite well. We also gently talked with the waitress who was most apologetic and promised to be more attentive. Hope to have you back in the near future when your daughter will find more to explore. We really appreciate the feedback!

Reviewed February 19, 2012

Me and my boyfriend stayed there 9 days in january.The seaview,the grounds and the location was fantastic.The rooms were big with nice furniture,comfy big beds and even a makup table.There was plenty of real hot water in the shower and ample space to hang our clothes.
There was no fridge,coffemaker or remotecontrol to the TV in the room.
The staff was friendly and relaxed,and we found the rooms clean enough.We enjoyed the Rastaman breakfast,but 3 out of 4 sunchairs around the pool was broken.The whole place had a tired appearance and had clearly seen better days.
1 min. walk to Main St. where across the street, the best openair disco"Amnesia " is located, and some friendly bars if you need to tank up.Mahogany beach is a10 min.walk to the left,coming out on Main and supermarket,ATM´s,foodstalls and restaurants and other shops to the right.
We loved it in Ochie,and we sure will be back at Silver Seas,very good value for the money,50 US a room.
We went to "Mystic Mountain",VERY beautiful ,but the bobsledge ride was scary ,in a fun way.I´m happy I bought 2 vases at Wassi Art,to remind me of this beautiful island.
Dennis,a taxidriver hanging around the hotel,drove me to Negril and to Montego Bay safely and to a resonable cost.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Samasem C
Reviewed February 13, 2012

That is how I would define Silver Seas, "a diamond in the rough". Just as my newly found "mad British" friend Judith articulated in her review (met her at Silver Seas by the pool), if you are looking for what you may find at one of the all-inclusives, than Silver Seas is definitely NOT for you! However,what you will find is a breathtaking view of one of the most amazing ocean fronts in Ocho Rios, warm, friendly staff and a very economical stay in one of the most central areas in Ocho Rios. The market and all that you could need is literally right outside the steps of Silver Seas.

In terms of history, Silver Seas was once an elegant, upscale luxury hotel back in the fifties. Where the pool is today, there was once an amazing dance floor. If you want to know anything about this place, just ask Mr. Davis (Daddy D) because he has all the answers. Barrie will cook you up a nice plate of Ackee and Saltfish, Jerk chicken and Rice and Peas or even a hamburger if you so desire. Ms. Lavine will bring you your food with a contagious smile and a constant willingness to please. If you need a taxi or just some help with something, ask John Wayne or Ivan, they will be happy to help. Front desk staff like Ms. Paulette or Ms. Carole are always willing to go the extra mile to see that your needs are met to the best of their ability. For a reasonable tip, Jessie and Rass George will do a run to the grocery store for you or help you get whatever you're looking for. The lovely Ms. Bennet, Ms. Alma, Ms. Frances and Ms. Karen ensure that your rooms are clean and nice, everyday! They work tirelessly from early in the morning to late into the evening and are always so pleasant and lovely.

My only complaint about Silver Seas from the perspective of staff is one individual named Devon who works at the front desk. He is a quite rude and disrespectful to guests and appears to be more concerned with sporting the gold chains he wears than ensuring that the guests are comfortable. He is the 'black sheep' of the family at Silver Seas and doesn't belong there. With any luck, he won't be there when I return because I will.

In short, if you want a peaceful, quiet place to meditate, read a great book, go for a swim in one of the most beautiful ocean reefs or just simply to enjoy a Red Stripe with other similar minded individuals, than Silver Seas is the PERFECT venue for you. Simple with an old elegant charm. Whenever I am in Ocho Rios, I will always stay at Silver Seas. You get exactly what you pay for at Silver Seas, and then some.

Wende

Hey Jude - if you see this review, drop me a line or check your email!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank Wende71
Reviewed February 1, 2012

Now I know some tourists like everything done for them - a remote a kettle a bar a fridge a room safe, If that's you then the silver seas isnt for you. It's not an expensive hotel but I can tell you this rarely will you see such a wonderful ocean view every morning at this price. The reef is swimmable and a word of warning here go early because once the jetski nuts are out I wouldnt have felt quite so safe. Im 58 and unfit but a good swimmer and I managed the reef ok coming back there is a current so either swim against it or be prepared to walk back to your hotel.

I really really like this place. I felt welcomed by Mr D the Public relations man and Barry made some stunning meals for me at reasonable prices. This is one of the few hotels that doesnt damage the local economy by forcing you almost to stay inside its walls all the time and while as with all jamaican hotels they use the JUTA taxis, a short walk through the car park will get you to the route taxi which can be as low as a a fifth of the price.

Staff on the desk are great IF YOU ARE GREAT WITH THEM. You are on holiday - treat them well and they will respond well. The air con in the rooms was fine, the rooms were old but cleaned daily. Shabby chic I guess perhaps a little shabbier than some want but hey this is Jamaica and all the glitz you see isnt the real Jamaica - if you think it is then you are so very very wrong.

So its not all inclusive but then you arent paying the silly all inclusive prices and the local cafes can still earn a bob or two - you wont see a local cafe near an all inclusive they have been destroyed by those type of resorts - shame on the government for allowing so many.

We found a very useful man Wayne who is native and can get you native rates with the taxis. Yes you pay him but it still works out cheaper believe you me. I have read and heard a lot about Lenny - avoid at all costs - there are always hustlers in Jamaica it is an impoverished community you just have to learn who to trust and who not to - ask around someone will always advise you. I dont think Lenny is there any more - sometimes you just take one advantage too many so well done the Silver Seas on acting on that.

Now to tips - I dont have a damned clue what to tip and noone will tell you - why should they? My advice is this - how much would you have paid for the service you received in your own country? Then thats what you tip them.

I got the Knutsford to the Jerk Centre but bargained the taxi down from 500 to 250 J$ but I walked back - its not far and its not like its cold or raining and the exercise will do you good. You can always stop off for breakfast or an icecream en route.

If you know how, the local taxis can get you from Montego Bay to Ocho for under 600J$ but given that it will be an uncomfortable ride sometimes paying 1400J$ is the sensible and more comfortable option and you get to meet the locals. I had a really fantastic conversation with an accountant and was delightful

Security - lock it away - you would at home for goodness sake - the desk is good they have a big safe they will get you your money from 8 till 7 at night if you cant work round that then tough!

Now as for trips out using cabs getting guides - there is a damned great sign in reception that says the traders operate independently and that the hotel will not intervene so be warned they do not intervene!!!

6 of us went out for the day with a driver for around J$9000 was that expensive? we could probably have got it cheaper but we thought it was a fair price for 6 of us and we had great fun piling in a cab going places the average tourist never sees like firewater and some of the things they do see like the green grotto etc.

Evenings spent drinking and chatting at the bar was a delight from the loud music and hullabaloo of all inclusives. Dinner in or out of the hotel is a casual affair.

People smoking Gange - well sadly yes BUT having been offered it by a coach driver on an all inclusive to Negril last year I didnt find the usage more prevalent and to be honest I wasnt offered it at every street corner like I was in Negril and I wasn't hustled on the beach like I was in Negril so a bonus in that respect.

I worked out that financially, by putting up with the minor inconveniences of no bar kettle fridge etc I saved about US $100 a night - ABOUT £63 after bar bill and food. If I had stayed for a fortnight thats enough to buy me a second holiday near as damnit.

I met some great people, from Canadian social worker Wende to Rob an Isurance guy as well as the local pastor who has given up a life in America to take up a calling helping young men grow into confident worthy citizens in Jamaica. Thats the value of the SIlver Seas. Weird and whacky and not for all but I adored this place.

Room Tip: All the rooms have spectacular views I would have preferred to be on an upper floor but thats a personal choice
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank Judith H
Reviewed January 27, 2012

This is the property for the person who is VERY low mainenance, but wants to be right on the water. Property was clean, but well used. For the price you can NOT do any better. You will be right in the middle of it all, with the Jamaican people, not a fascade...

Room Tip: all rooms are on the water, no bad rooms, just old...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple