“Perfect for seasoned travelers on a budget”

Silver Seas Resort Hotel
Ranked #22 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed 8 April 2012

If you are looking for luxury, the Silver Seas is not for you. It is perfect, however, for seasoned travelers on a budget. The hotel sits in the thick of Ocho Rios; at the bottom of a gravel lane. At night, the lane is dimly lit which may be intimidating to the faint of heart. We never encountered any problems, but as true anywhere in the world, if you act like a mark chances are you'll become one.

The staff at the Silver Seas was extremely welcoming and eager to satisfy our requests. The large rooms, albeit spartan, are clean with plenty of closet space and drawers. All rooms have a balcony too, I believe. Do not look for amenities like in-room movies, internet access, blow dryers, mini fridges or coffeemakers. If you need an iron for your clothes, just ask to borrow one at the front desk. Need internet access? Support the local internet cafe on the main road. We purchased a bucket in town and filled it with ice, waters and Red Stripe before heading out each day. Problems solved! The housekeepers are the two sweetest, elderly women you will ever meet. They clean the room and wash your towels every day. Be sure to tip them well. They work hard!

Yes, the Silver Seas needs some sprucing up, but by no means is the hotel unclean or crumbling around your ears as some people have harshly described. Oh and I never caught a whiff of anything musty. Trust me when I tell you I have a sensitive nose. The Silver Seas is a tidy, quiet place to rest your head, stow your things and shower while on a serious budget. Nothing tripped my "eww" or "danger" triggers during the four days we were there. It reminded me of times I spent with my country cousins. Their home wasn't the newest or the greatest, but it was neat and comfortable.

There is no beach per se, but there is a small "pier" where you can sun yourself and look at the water. Beaches are close by though. You have no reason to miss out.

The hotel didn't have any nightly entertainment that I noticed, but there's plenty of nightlife - local clubs, pubs and the obligatory Margaritaville within walking distance.

So to sum up, give the Silver Seas a chance. It was definitely worthy of the one we gave it and we'd have no issue staying there again.

4  Thank Chula M

Reviewed 22 March 2012

I stayed here for 1 night and im glad it was only for 1 night. Large room with 2 double beds it was clean but smelt very musty. For the price i paid cant complain but not again, i arrived when it was dark and the back road i drove onto to get there was pitch black i was thinking if i was on my own walking i would most likely sprint down that road it was too dark! In all its an ok place to stay just not for me. central location and a decent price.

Room Tip: cant comment on the childrens activites as i checked out in the morning
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank cherezz
Reviewed 15 March 2012

My partner and I stayed here for 4 days during the month of March. The only good thing about this place is the beach out the front where you can swim and snorkel. We saw some lovely fish and other sea creatures and we bought our own snorkel equipment with us. Other than this, the hotel is extremely run-down and old. It is in major need of upgrading. You cannot eat at the restaurant as they don't have 90% of the things on the menu.

Our towels had holes in them and our shower leaked all the time.

There are local resident houses that are right next to the hotel rooms and they play extremely loud music at all hours of the day.

This place could be GREAT with some love and care, but until then, I do not recommend staying there.

2  Thank Monique199016
Reviewed 12 March 2012

This hotel needs major upgrading in order for it to be considered the hotel of choice in Ochos Rios. No phone in room and no tv remote was very annoying. Dennis the cab driver, recommended by Clive, the security guard, over charged for taxi fare. That seems the be the order of business there, a rate for the locals and an exhorbitant rate for tourists. I would never return to this hotel, or recommend it. the view is amazing, the staff are friendly and helpful.

1  Thank MarthaBermuda
Reviewed 12 March 2012

Stayed at Silver Seas on March 7, 2012 for one night paid $86 on Orbitz. Got to the hotel via rental car with no problem (right off A1 which went through town), parked in large, empty lot with no problem. Check in/out no problem. Staff very nice and accommodating, although I think they directed us to restaurant they were working with. But food was good so it was no issue. Overall, I didn’t find prices to be that cheap for food, etc and $86 night seemed the price ceiling for what it was. As other reviews have said the hotel needs some maintenance. A crumbling state of ruin, but rather romantic and could be a really nice place. No real beach area to speak of but there was a pool and nice lounging area. Room itself was large and the private balcony overlooking the water was the best. I believed the room to be clean, but because old and in need of maintenance seems a bit dingy. Close walk to center of town, where you could get some Red Stripe for balcony. Great room/location for a one night stay, but I probably wouldn't stay much longer.

1  Thank beersnob75
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Silver Seas would have been a wonderful hotel in its day. Sadly due to much needed updating and maintenance all round it is no longer the grand lady she should still be. The location is central and on the water's edge - a rare find; rooms were clean and spacious; pool area was actually quite nice and pool water was pristine clean; breakfast was great and the outside dining area lovely ( had to remind the waitress of what was supposed to be served) - service not even average; views from the room balcony was fantastic. My daughter (9) really liked the place as she thought of it as a place to explore with many nooks and crannies and 'secrets' to be discovered. We spotted a large Stingray in the bay as well as swam with many beautiful tropical fish. The fact is it's very inexpensive and I would deem it value for money - considering the alternatives are all-inclusive resorts at 10x the price. Please make sure you keep your room secure and lock away all valuables.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank NatalieF101
aimeer, Director of Sales at Silver Seas Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2012

Dear Natalie,

We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your review and for your astute analysis--we are so glad you deemed the hotel “value for money” and enjoyed the location and view. In March we instituted a new dual maintenance system with one person and staff in charge of room maintenance and the other in charge of public areas and it has worked out quite well. We also gently talked with the waitress who was most apologetic and promised to be more attentive. Hope to have you back in the near future when your daughter will find more to explore. We really appreciate the feedback!

Reviewed 19 February 2012

Me and my boyfriend stayed there 9 days in january.The seaview,the grounds and the location was fantastic.The rooms were big with nice furniture,comfy big beds and even a makup table.There was plenty of real hot water in the shower and ample space to hang our clothes.
There was no fridge,coffemaker or remotecontrol to the TV in the room.
The staff was friendly and relaxed,and we found the rooms clean enough.We enjoyed the Rastaman breakfast,but 3 out of 4 sunchairs around the pool was broken.The whole place had a tired appearance and had clearly seen better days.
1 min. walk to Main St. where across the street, the best openair disco"Amnesia " is located, and some friendly bars if you need to tank up.Mahogany beach is a10 min.walk to the left,coming out on Main and supermarket,ATM´s,foodstalls and restaurants and other shops to the right.
We loved it in Ochie,and we sure will be back at Silver Seas,very good value for the money,50 US a room.
We went to "Mystic Mountain",VERY beautiful ,but the bobsledge ride was scary ,in a fun way.I´m happy I bought 2 vases at Wassi Art,to remind me of this beautiful island.
Dennis,a taxidriver hanging around the hotel,drove me to Negril and to Montego Bay safely and to a resonable cost.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple