4,351 results
All reviews mineral pool balloon bar bella vista sunset beach san souci au natural beach main beach b block beachfront suite starlight gala casanova restaurant room service friday night gala nooks and crannies smoothie bar in room dining water sports
Reviewed August 30, 2011

The hotel was a good resort. The only thing was the ants and stray cats that were at the property. Ants were everywhere! In the room and in the restaurants. But it only took 2 phone calls to guest services to take care of the problem. And the cats had made a home underneath the deck of the beach bar. Food was average the best restaurant was Casanova's but you have to make reservations each time you eat there. Also be aware that there is a 2 hour drive from the airport to the resort so hope you go to the bathroom prior to leaving.

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank Tyler W
Reviewed August 29, 2011

Just got back from Couple San Souci resort & it is definitely a place I would return. When you arrive at the airport there is a couples driver that will take you to the resort. The ride is 1 hour & 40 minutes. The grounds are beautiful & well kept. They have stone stairs that lead you into different area. It is like a surprise around every corner. One stair way will lead you into a hot tub, the other into a grotto; next turn might be a little water fall. You have to take time out to see the full resort & all the little hidden beautiful places. They have hammocks through out. Beautiful flowers & the grounds are always maintained. The staff is very punctual. When they say the the bus is going to leave at 10am it leaves right on the dot. We took a bus to the Dunn River Falls which was only about a 10 minute ride. Definitely take time to see the Falls but don't forget to bring you water shoes. If you do not have any they will stop at a store nearby for you to pick them up. Also you must bring a waterproof camera. You get soaked at the falls. If you do not bring one & want to purchase one it will cost you $30.00 at the falls. The resort has activities during the day which I recommend you joining in. My husband & I took a massage couples class which was great. We also got a couples massage which is done outside while you hear water crashing against the rocks. It is very peaceful. They also have a beautiful mineral pool. The resort has many water sports which are all included. We went on the glass bottom boat ride which took us to a sunken ship. It was cool to see. Just FYI- The cushions on the beach lounge chairs are floats in the water :) Very nice touch. They gym is a nice size & very clean. The food was great other than the pasta station. I wasn't crazy about that. When you check out the hotel will have you leave 4 1/2-5 hours prior to your flight departure. They want to make sure you are at the airport approx 3 hours before you flight. I recommend as soon as you get to the airport on departure that you go through customs first & do not eat or shop before customs. They have restaurants & shops after customs & the sooner you get through the better. Overall it is definitely a place you should visit.

Room Tip: We stayed in the G rooms which are the furthest from the beach. You will be climbing a lot of stairs if you stay here.
9  Thank Peekaboo2you
Reviewed August 28, 2011

This was our third trip to an AI in Jamaica and was the best we have come across (we have also stayed AI in two other places, as well as a non-AI in Aruba). If you want a romantic getaway and feel like you are truly in a tropical paradise, this is the place for you. I think the resort was only about 40-50% booked when we were there, so it seemed like we had the place to ourselves at times.

I have very few complaints and those would, at best, be considered very minor. I'll start with those and then get to all the great aspects of this place.

Cons:

1. The room service options for breakfast are limited to more of your continental type items (bagal, cereal, fresh fruit, etc). It would have been nice to be able to order some eggs or an omelet with some meat option. As such, we did not take advantage of in-room dining for breakfast.

2. While the food was very good to exceptional (Casanova restaurant), the daily buffets for breakfast and dinner did not have that much variety. Again, this is only minor as the food quality itself was great. I just like to see and try new/different things from time to time.

3. Daily activities - I am not huge on these but my wife likes to take part and a couple of items on the list did not occur when we actually showed up for them. However, this did not cause me any heartache but may be an annoyance for those seeking more of these events.

Pros:

Where to start??? There was just so much I really liked at CSS...

Staff - By far and away, the best we have ever come across. Every staff member we met was so nice and did all they could to make our time special. Almost everyone would ask how we were enjoying ourselves and if there was anything they could do to help. The General Manager even made a point to mingle with the guests and was asking for honest feedback. You can tell the entire staff really tries to impress. We rarely waited long for drinks or food and in the cases where they got a bit behind, they kept coming over to assure us our order was coming soon. Kudos go out to Taneisha (bar tender at Sunset Beach) for her great service. She wanted to know our names right away and never forgot them.

Property - In a word, stunning!! The layout of this resort is by far its biggest asset behind the staff). Yes there are many stairs to ascend to see all aspects of the resort but that is what gives this place its charm. The various little paths to follow in behind the room blocks on the cliffs (Blocks C, D, E, F and G) are such a cool and unique aspect to this place. You can follow these and find secluded hammocks and even a Jacuzzi. The mineral grotto and the other grotto near the spa area are great little spots to relax with your significant other and escape the sun and other guests. With 4 pools, 2 beaches, the pond and several other places to unwind and enjoy this paradise, it is never a problem finding the perfect relaxation spot.

Rooms - The rooms are a little dated but I think this adds to the feel of this resort. We had a one-bedroom ocean view in (e08) which had a very large balcony, large living room, very large bedroom and 2 full bathrooms. It was kep very clean with cleaning each afternoon and turn-down service in the evening. I would definitely recommend staying on the cliff side of the resort as the views are spectacular. The steps help you work off the extra calories.

Beaches - There are two large beaches. The main beach is quite long but not very deep. It is mostly sand and can be enjoyed without water shoes. The sand is not the white sand you would see in Negril so can get a little hot and is not as soft. The beach is raked each day and all in all is very nice. The water was pretty calm the entire we stayed but some small waves did occur, but nothing that would prevent using the water. A great place to float around and enjoy the Jamaican sun.

The other beach (Sunset Beach) is au naturel (AKA Nude). To enjoy that beach, your clothes must come off. However, clothing is allowed after 5pm each day so everyone can enjoy the sunsets (thus the name). This beach is secluded from the rest of the resort by a long path along the pond and, if you were not aware it was there, may not ever come across it. The beach itself is not as clean as the main beach as much more seaweed and stones float up on this cove. It is also shorter, yet deeper. A river drains just to the left side of the beach, which likely brings in all the stones. As such, water shoes are required here. The water also is a little cooler due to the river, but was refreshing during the hot afternoons.

Pools - There are 4 pools. There is the main one just off the main beach which is large with a swim up bar. Plenty of loungers surround the pool with some umbrellas to get some shade. The nude beach also has one, which is much smaller but also has a swim-up bar and rock grotto (cave) to swim into with a cascading waterfall. There are loungers around this pool but the space between them is pretty tight. On the cliff side of the resort there is a mineral pool which is fed by a natural spring. A sign indicates the mineral content and I must admit my skin felt different when exiting that pool (briefly anyway). There were limited loungers around this pool that were taken most of the days. Finally, there is a small (yet deep) pool just down from the main lobby and next to the Balloon bar. I never swam in this one and only saw one couple in there during our stay. It has a rock waterfall in it but seems to be more of something to look at then actually for swimming. There were no loungers around this pool, which may prevent more usage.

Water Sports - The resort offered the full compliment of water sports including snorkeling, scuba, glass bottom boat, water bikes, catamaran, water-skiing (although this boat was broken during our stay). We did use the bikes and went on the glass bottom boat. These were easy to book and the staff as very helpful.

Food - The food was great quality and we never had a bad meal. They offer buffets in the main dining area for breakfast and lunch each day. As well, there is room service (limited menu) each day from 6am-11pm. The beach grill opens around lunchtime and is available until 2am. The main buffet and beach grill become restaurants (Bella Vista) for dinner, as well as the fine-dining Cassanova restaurant. Both Cassanova and the Bella Vista require reservations for dinner. We tried room service twice and it came quickly both times. The staff would even prepare items for us that were not on the menu but had been on a previous day (dessert item).

On another note, we did try "trading places" one day and went to Couples other property in Ocho Rios (Tower Isle). That resort has a completely different look and feel. It is a much larger resort (about 100 more rooms) on a much smaller property. Since it was recently refurbished, it has a much more modern and chic feel to it. However, I likened it to being at a California beach hotel, as opposed to a Caribbean resort. While I liked Tower Isle, I would hands-down choose Sans Souci over it. I was glad to arrive back at CSS that afternoon to enjoy our little piece of paradise.

The other AI resorts I have visited were always nice and I have always said I WOULD return to any of them. However, after spending time at Sans Souci, I have to say I WILL return. There is no way I can not come back to this place. While I want to see other places, this place was nice enough to make me really have a desire to return.

Do not hesitate on booking this place. I can't imagine anyone not enjoying this place with his or her loved one.

Cheers!

Room Tip: Book on the cliff side of the resort. One Bedroom Ocean View suites are larger than beach front and actually a little cheaper.
12  Thank fit4lyf
Reviewed August 27, 2011

This resort was by far the best place we have ever stayed. The staff was great and so nice. The food was amazing; We actually got married at the resort and stayed for 8 days. the wedding was great the wedding staff and resort staff took care of everything it was just Beautiful. We will deff be going back sOON........... The resort is smaller than most so it feels so more calm and quite. Weather was perfect ever single day. we really could not even ask for a more perfect week.....

Room Tip: clean, beachfront, big, oceanfront
4  Thank Nathan M
Reviewed August 26, 2011

My husband and I had the pleasure of spending our honeymoon at Couples Sans Souci Resort! And it was worth every dime we spent and more! Before our travels I spend weeks upon weeks reading reviews (some good and some bad), but none of them describe the beauty of resort and the amazingly wonderful staff and the service they provide! Everyone was so pleasant and wonderful! I can't say it enough. We were able to sit back and relax, take in the beautiful ocean, take advantage of the water sports that were offered. They were so helpful in teaching how to windsail, snorkel and scubadive! We were alittle apprehensive about the aunatural beach, but they were very discrete and assured us that it was our vacation and to relax and enjoy! We not only went once but several times! The entertainment staff were AWESOME! They planned activities every day and evening, it was very fun to participate with other couples and staff during the shows and parties. As for the drinks, anything you wanted to made sure you got it! In our rooms we were always stocked with Liters of the Liquor of our choice along with the mixers. Food......I miss it already, it was not only very tasty but beautifully arranged. We had dinner on the beach every night! It was nice to have three different restuarants to choose from, and you can get food around the clock! The excursions were well planned out and ran on time.
The only thing to keep in mind is that the resort is about 11/2 hours from the airport so plan a later flight going out. The resort does provide a shuttle to and from the airport. Also if you decide to leave the resort to explore on your own, taxis are expensive for tourist (we paid 30 dollars for a 5 minute cab ride).
We loved it and have booked our return trip already!

Room Tip: All rooms have an ocean view, ask for a second or third floor room for more privacy on your balacony.
2  Thank Erika F