“should be allowed to sunbathe on the island without being nude!!!!”
Review of Couples Tower Isle

Couples Tower Isle
Ranked #4 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed 10 February 2012

The beach is quite small and gets shaded by 5.00 pm or even earlier, although the island gets the sun until sundown, so why are the none nudists not allowed on the island. This is discrimination (there was only about 10% of the holidays makers who were nude bathers), we had to go without sun whilst the nudist enjoyed the sun until late, this was felt by most of the none nudist. There is no sunshades around the pool or on the beach so you had to get under a tree or under the sail shades. There is also a policy of no bottled water, you did not have the choice. There is also no bathtubs in the bathrooms, only showers, I prefer a bath (back problems) and this was not indicated in the brochure. There is a few more gripes but nothing substantial, the major one being the island only for nude bathers, surely it would be fairer to alternate the days for bathing/nude/non nude, after all we paid the same money. I would not come back to this hotel because of the "nude policy".

Room Tip: insist on bottle drinks not the drinks dispensers, if you ask you get (sometimes)
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank RonnieThoms
Write a ReviewReviews (3,211)

Reviewed 10 February 2012

My husband and I traveled to Tower Isle back in April of 2009. At that time, they were just finishing up beautiful renovations throughout the resort. Although there was minor construction going on, we barely noticed, because the rest of the resort was just perfect. The renovations have long been completed, and I'm sure the structures are even better than they were back then. The room was just right, very clean with a brand new bathroom. I would recommend an ocean view...it really was magnificent. The staff is very friendly and helpful without being overbearing. We really enjoyed the intimate setting. It was not a huge resort, and certainly not crowded. There were enough people there, though, that we were able to make some friends and get to know the staff. There is not a lot of entertainment in the evening (bands in the outdoor dining room, and a piano player/singer in the piano bar), but there are lots of activities to participate in during the day (I enjoyed pictionary by the pool bar as well as our free snorkeling outting!). Our favorite thing to do was to hang out in the pool with the swim up bar. The pina-coladas with a rum float on top should not be missed! We went on a couple excursions, including the catamaran cruise (a group of about eight dolphins swam right along our boat and the snorkeling was awesome, including the rum punch!), and a trip to Dunn's River Falls (a moderate hike up the falls in a very beautiful setting....lots of fun). We also had resort credit through our travel agent (unforgettablehoneymoons.com), and so we had several spa treatments, including massages, manicure, and a bodywrap). The spa is beautiful and their services are top notch. The food at the resort was very good. The had a variety of food and we were able to eat at all the a la carte restaurants. I would definitely recommend this resort for anyone that is looking for a relaxing vacation at a smaller, adults only all-inclusive. Couples definitely includes a lot of extras for free that other resorts charge for. Definitely worth the price! I highly recommend Couples Tower Isle.

Room Tip: Recommend an ocean view!
3  Thank Strawbryblondie
Reviewed 10 February 2012

Just got back from Couples Tower Isle last night...trip was Feb. 2-9 for a week in the sun. Overall I've given this trip a high rating.....they can't control the weather and the first 3 days we had partly rainy days. I would travel there later in February next time. From the time we landed (3 couples) we had a good experience. The airport wasn't crowded and it was easy to find the Couples lounge. Wait was short but the bus ride to the resort took close to 2 hours with a stop along the way. Check-in was very quick and efficent. The Jamaican people are very happy and accomadating people.
We were shown to our rooms, which we very average rooms. We did have a beautiful view of the water and would recommend upgrading to a water view. I would not have been happy with a garden view. The resort is older and much smaller than I have been to in the past.

The negatives: very small beach if you like to walk the beach....not possible here.
No music by the 2 pools so it's a very quiet place. Rooms could be upgraded and cleaner.

The possitives: good service, happy people, very good food for an all-inclusive.
The size of the resort makes it easy to get to know other people who are there. The workers will really try to help you with any request you may have. Room service was there on time every morning with your coffee. The free outings that are offered were all good. Don't miss the trip to Dunn's River Falls.....best thing I did while I was there!
Barely tipped at all....they won't take the money unless you insist. This didn't affect the service we received at all. First place I've traveled to that this happened. Eat at all the restaurants....8 Rivers was nice but so was Verandah. The food at the buffet was also very good every night....and I'm very picky....always something I liked. The red snapper was always prepared perfectly. Booze was name brand and they were generous with it if that's what you wanted. Overall, great trip...would recommend to anyone. I might not go back just because I want to see Negril and I like to go to different places each year. Steve Miller (water guy) and Owen (waiter) were both great guys!!!

Room Tip: Spend the money and upgrade to ocean view. Well worth it.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank BeauBeauDesMoines
Reviewed 10 February 2012

From the moment we arrived at the hotel we knew we had picked the ideal location for a romantic getaway. The staff could not be any nicer and the food was beyond our expectations. The bayside dinning room was the best. If you want to come to a small pretty quite hotel you will enjoy this place. Beach was small but not crowded.
We look forward to coming back next year.

Room Tip: try to upgrade to an ocean view room
2  Thank Chris H
Reviewed 10 February 2012

A little background on us first... we are a couple in our mid-30's who lives in a metro area in the USA. My husband works in the hotel industry and we travel quite a bit. This was our first trip to Jamaica- we usually go to the Dominican Republic.

First off, our trip was marred by waiting THREE hours in a hot, stuffy hallway to get through immigration. While this is not the hotel's fault, it would certainly influence my decision to go back to Jamaica. We waited longer than our flight..this is absurd. After we got through immigration,we were warmly greeted at the Couples lounge by very nice staff and very cold beer (much needed after standing and sweating for 3 hours in the immigration line). We had only brought carry on luggage but were blocked from entering our van until we tipped the porter (for doing nothing). Again, not a Couples employee but still un-nerving and not a great first impression.

The bus ride was long (about 2.5 hours) due to heavy rains. We made some new friends (gang of 8!) and were very happy to FINALLY get to the resort at 8pm. Check in was very easy and we were escorted to our rooms quickly as dinner was ending and we hadn't had a meal since leaving DC at 7:30am.

Room: clean, fresh and no issues. We had an ocean view in the 5 block and didn't overlook the resort but the other side of the property. Everything was clean and taken care of.

Food: food was fine. There was always something to eat. Eight rivers and Bayside were very good- I liked Bayside better but the beef I had a 8 rivers was as good as I have had stateside. The beach party was fun but it was hard to see what we were eating and I stepped on about 3 forks on the beach the next day- beware.

Drinks: The drinks were fine and I learned after the first day you had to ask for specific alcohol if you didn't want well. Ie- Pina colada with Appleton dark or Absolut with cranberry or whatever. I had no problem with the strength of the drinks or would sometimes order them strong. I do wish they had had a bar card with the frozen drink options as you don't know what they are till you stand there and listen to what other people ask for. Also, the pool bar didn't have the same as the patio bar. Not a big deal but kindof annoying. They have no top shelf bourbon (I usually drink bourbon and don't consider Jim Beam to be top shelf). It would have been nice to have a Manhatten for dinner. Again, not a huge deal. We also would have liked if the patio bar had bar stools. There is something about sitting at bar and meeting people. We were surprised, when we requested minibar alcohol, that they gave you a full 750 ml bottle.

Beach: I loved the beach- it is small and secluded. There is plenty of shade if you want it and when we were there almost all chairs had the foam floats on them (makes a big difference!). The floats were great to spend the afternoon on. The beach was clean and I saw the water staff raking on more than one occasion. Since you are on a private beach- no one haggles you.

Staff: The staff was nice but I didn't feel like any of them (with the exception of Kadian in events) took any time to talk to us/ remember us. Again, I didn't go expecting to make friends but in the DR the staff usually knew us by name by the 3rd day.. I don't feel that anyone went the "extra-mile" service wise.

I have to admit, we didn't take advantage of any of the "extras"... this trip was solely for laying in the sun and escaping East coast winter. The hobie boat, kayacks and water skiers were out quite a bit so I know others enjoyed them. We did go to the superbowl party which was fun and it was nice of them to throw since there is no "sports" bar kindof place on the property. I also liked how they had a local vendor every day so you could pick up your Jamaica beads or other trinkets you wanted without leaving the property.

All and all, I have no real complaints about the resort. All I can say was it was good, not great.

4  Thank festivalkiki
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Arrived at Montego Bay Airport and horrendous queue to get through passport control - way over an hour - due to the arrival of 2 other planes. Nice touch to be greeted with a drink in the Couples lounge and then cases loaded on to mini bus (with a tip to the case carrier!). Reception area at CTI very friendly and quickly sorted the arrival process and then to be escorted to room with prompt delivery of cases.

Very good - Rooms lovely with beautiful view. Sharon, our cleaner, was polite and friendly and did a very good job, leaving flowers on the bed daily (room 5055). It was quiet and we had the doors open every night listening to the sea.

Good - There were no complaints with the food! The Bayside was my favourite. Eight Rivers was good but service slow (I know it is intended to be slow but over an hour for the main course was too long). We ate at Eight Rivers twice but were never offered coffee. The Verandah is brilliant, along with the Patio restaurant. Might have to join Weight Watchers now!

The beach barbeque was excellent when held on the beach and a tremendous amount of effort was put into this by the staff. However, on the occasion when it was held in the Patio restaurant because of rain, it was chaos! There were not enough tables for guests. We had to queue outside and then it was too dark to see our food!

The Gala Evening was disappointing. The brochure states "elegant dress". I don't consider shorts and trainers as elegant! The food however was good and again, a lot of effort was made by the staff.

The beach is small but very clean with ample loungers and shade provided by the palm trees. Water sports were limited because of bad weather.

Not so good - the weather! 7 out of 10 days were cloudy with rain! Of course, this is not reflective of CTI.

Tennis is good and staff very friendly. Good raquets to hire (no cost) and balls provided. The included excursions - Dunn's River Falls was excellent. The shopping trip was okay and the catamaran trip was fun although because of the weather, it was very wavy!

We had a lovely holiday but were very disappointed with the weather. Tips are expected (the waiter who stocked our mini bar practically asked outright!). The driver who returned us to the airport practically snatched the dollars from my hand!

The CTI should be very proud of their staff - they are the friendliest we have found whilst on holiday in the Carribean. I mentioned to the trainee manager that I hadn't tasted a mojito because the bar always said they had no mint. She got mint and I had my mojito!!

Well done CTI.

Room Tip: Room 5055 was quiet with a lovely view of the ocean.
2  Thank Snooter
Reviewed 6 February 2012

I have to start by saying that the food ( all food ) from the 24 hour grill to the fancy Bayside and Eight rivers dining room, was the best food I've ever had at a resort.
That being said, the beach was very small, our room was over booked and we didn't get what we were promised for accomodations. The promise of premium american beer was a farce, they ran out of American beer every day. Tipping at the bars was rampant if you wanted service in a timely manner, thus negating the " all inclusive " feel.
Pricing was fair, however our luggage was ransacked at the airport with having to wait 3 hours before our return flight.
Jamaica is quickly becoming a pit and the people are becoming more rude there by the day. Our shopping experience in Ocho Rios was poor at best, as the vendors broke up our group and were loud and very pushy. I would spent my dollars ( less of them by the way ) in Mexico from this day forward.
The room we stayed in was average, with the entire complex dated.

I would not pay to stay here again.........

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
13.4 km away
ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
#8 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Couples Tower Isle? Share your experiences!