“Paradise and Pampering”

Sandals Royal Plantation
Ranked #2 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed 29 March 2012

My wife and I recently stayed at Royal Plantation (March 16-23/12) and had a truly amazing vacation. We had never stayed at a resort that offers butler service, so we didn't quite know what to expect. We were very pleasantly surprised and really have to give special mention to our butlers, Sophia and Audell, as they were fantastic. Anything you could possibly want was made possible by these wonderful people. The housekeeping and grounds-keeping staff were also incredible. Every person associated with the resort goes out of their way to make you feel comfortable, welcome and at home. Every night, they add a small personal touch to your room. One night we came back to the room to find candles had been lit and the bed decorated with flower petals. Another night, a bath had been run with a chilled bottle of champaign waiting beside the tub. Then there's the beach butlers, Cleon and Adrian were not only friendly and accommodating, but they were even entertaining. Everyone was always smiling and happy. That can be very contagious, and by the second day my wife and I were doing the same. Years of stress melted away in a very short time here. Then there's the great food. No matter which restaurant we went to, or if we decided to order room service, the food was fantastic. I've read reviews here that talk about slow service, so we were actually kind of expecting it. Not once in the week we were there did we get slow service. When we sat down in a restaurant, we were immediately served every time, and always by unbelievably friendly staff. Room service was always within the time promised and always accurate. We spent a lot of time on the beach and neither one of us even saw an insect. Not one mosquito all week. We don't know if this is a seasonal thing or related to the geography, but it was a very welcome bonus. This resort is first class all the way.

Room Tip: East wing rooms are in a quieter area, but here that is a relative thing as the resort itself is qui...
7  Thank John K

Reviewed 29 March 2012

We stayed for a week in March and it was a wonderful vacation. It's not a typical Sandals, however, so you can't expect a giant pool with a swim up bar or as many restaurants. It's much smaller, with only 75 rooms. The service was the best we've ever had at a Sandals and our butlers, Derron and Shelly Ann, were wonderful at providing anything and everything we could have wanted. I think the butlers are what makes the difference in the service between this and other Sandals resorts. The service is always adequate at others, but at RP, it's above and beyond. Only once during our stay did we have a less than excellent service -- just an off morning at breakfast one day, no big deal.
The butlers are great -- well-trained but still laid back and not uptight like you might expect a butler to be. We came back to our room a couple of evenings to find rose petals on the bed and little towel animals, a la cruise ship. Very nice, unexpected touches.
The restaurants were very good, and Le Papillon was excellent. We also dined next door at the Sandals Grande Riviera and the Reef Terrace was especially good there.
We really needed to relax, and the RP fit the bill. You can just sit back on the beach and read and relax for hours if you so desire, and we did! The small beaches are lovely and the beach butlers bring you drinks and food if desired so you don't have to swim up/walk up to the bar. Adrian was especially great as a beach butler. He's fun and gives great service. The small size of the pool, and the fact that it's a little too warm are about the only negatives I can think of with this place.
We'd recommend the catamaran excursion to Dunns River Falls and the catamaran sunset cruise, both were great.
The rooms were nice, we got the basic room, and although the tub was small and not good for baths, the rest of the room had plenty of space and great view. Very comfortable and our butlers made sure our in-room bar was stocked as we like it.
We hope to return to Sandals RP sometime soon!

Room Tip: Ask for something above the first floor for the best views.
6  Thank kellyonthego905
Reviewed 28 March 2012

My wife and I had the pleasure of booking a trip through Ruth DeMuth (TripGuy). We stayed at the resort from March 13 - March 20. Once we arrived to the Montego Bay Airport, we went to the Sandals kiosk we were told to get comfortable and get a Red Stripe and wait for our transportation to the resort. As we were waiting we were introduced to a gentleman (I forget his name) who would be our butler at the kiosk until we left. He poured us some champagne and then it was time to take the bus to the Royal Plantation.

For starters, the bus ride is approximately 90 minutes and you stop at a rest stop around 70 minutes in to the trip, where you can use the bathroom or purchase a drink. The bus ride is fine. We went to White House last year and heard horror stories about the bus ride prior to going there, but that ride didn't effect us, neither did this one. For the most part, you are just riding along the coast line.

Upon arriving to the Royal Plantation, our bus driver (Sunshine) said we will be treated like "Royalty here." We were greeted with moist towels to re freshen ourselves and offered a drink from the bar during the check in process. While checking in, we were greeted by one of our butlers (Ricardo) who gave us a tour of the property then took us to lunch. The property is small, but beautiful.

After lunch, we got out bathing suits on and laid out in the sun. In our opinion, the best spot on the entire resort is on the pier on the West Beach. Absolutely amazing. Only drawback, is that since the seating is first come, first served, we had to wake up at 6am to reserve the seats ourselves. However, this was a blessing in disguise, as the sun rise is absolutely incredible, and there was absolutely nobody around. It was very peaceful.

Our first night there was the WELCOME BACK GUESTS DINNER. That was where we met our second butler; Orayne. At the dinner, I had the honor of sitting next to the GM of the resort, Peter. He is a great guy and he told us, if we had any issues to come to him with them. We did have a small issue that I don't wish to get in to, but he resolved it extremely quickly and was very apologetic about it.

Without giving you an entire play by play of each thing we did during the week, there were some highlights:
-Orayne and Ricardo decorated our room for my wife's birthday, which included a customized chocolate cake
-We ate at Le Pappillion twice and the food was absolutely incredible. If you go, get your butler to sit you outside.
-The beach butlers (Cleon and Adrian) are amazing. You CAN tip the beach butlers. We did not know this until our second to last day. We thought they were regular staff, who cannot accept tips. Adrian even sang Happy Birthday to my wife as well as singing a special song for a couple who was at the resort celebrating their anniversary.
-Get the jerk pork for lunch. I did not have this until out last day. Easily, the best thing on the menu

I know there is so much more to talk about, but you have to go to the Royal Plantation to see for yourself.

10  Thank NickJ1019
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We just returned from a seven day, six night vacation at the Royal Plantation in Ocho Rios, Jamaica. We stayed in room 159, a Royal Grand House room that was spacious with a beautiful view of the beach and the resort. The only things that could have been better were double sinks, a light in the shower and thicker beach chair cushions.
I am a Leader’s Club member with Leading Hotels of the World and received a few perks that otherwise I would not have received, such as a room upgrade and free internet access. I used the reviews from October of 2011 to book this trip. Sandals had good deals going with discounts that made this trip a great value.
The reviews I read before going were spot on. This resort is for relaxing, drinking and eating. My wife and I went to relax and get away. Outside of the “Booze Cruz” trip to Dunn’s River (which was great), we didn’t do much else. We received a couples massages on the overlook above the beach. It was a wonderful experience that left us without an ache or pain. The whoosh of the waves and the hibiscus flowers and sea shells they had in the area all added to the great experience. My wife and I held hands at the end of the massage very romantic.
Now one of the best things about the trip was our butler, Geary! He greeted us upon arrival and was accommodating, knowledgeable and professional in every way. He took care of everything including arranging all our dinners, particularly my private birthday dinner on the pier. Our other butler was Kenton who was off upon our arrival. We met him two days later. He’s only been a butler for seven months but was extremely personable, just not at Geary’s level yet. He is also a musician and during the music at dinner one night, he joined the band as the drummer and didn’t miss a beat. He was incredible and has a CD coming out. We listened to a few of his songs which were quite good.
One highlight was that Sandals started a University and its first meeting that was held at RP. While walking to the gym one day we saw all these high end BMW’s, ambulance, police and private security. We later learned the Prime Ministers of Jamaica, St. Lucia, Antigua and Butch Stewart were all there. I met the PM of St. Lucia in the spa. He was a nice, distinguished looking gentleman who encouraged us to visit St. Lucia.
At the resort there are west and east side beaches. The west beach is reasonably active with plenty of loungers, tables, etc. The beach butlers, Adrian and Cleon were also great. We really took to Adrian who was always ready with a glass of sparkling wine or Pena Colada. All drinks were top shelf even though the selection was limited. Now that Marcellus in the pub, the Wobbly Peacock, could make a mean drink. Two of his specialties were called the 8th wonder of the world and the M &M. Our first day was long. The wait staff, especially Olivia was always there for pre and post dinner drinks…and the drinks kept coming. After traveling and those drinks, neither my wife nor I remember going to sleep that first night…just waking up the next morning!
We met several couples while there on the Terrace and just outside the Wobbly Peacock. That made our trip even better. The guests ranged from honeymooners to retirees and were from all over the world. We made friends from the States, UK and Germany. Interestingly enough, there were some negative reviews written about this resort….I don’t understand that as we were asked every day at least ten times if everything was “to our perfection”. The staff did everything possible to make our trip wonderful.
The food was always fresh. Many meals were so good that I often had two dinner entrees. We ate so much. One day we skipped lunch to let our bodies adjust. Delicious, light lunches were the order of the day and were delivered to us on the beach. The coconut shrimp and jerk shrimp were my favorites. Along with the rice…I eat brown rice every day because it is healthy but whatever they use in their rice was delicious. It was the best rice I have ever had. It was prepared perfectly…it almost melted in my mouth and was seasoned perfectly.
Every day we had the breakfast buffet with excellent salmon. Along with the mimosas, we usually had seafood omelets with shrimp, scallops and some days lobster, yum, yum. (Remember all you have to do is ask, even when it’s not in sight.)The banana jam and croissants were wonderful. The coffee was the best. I am a big time coffee drinker and that Jamaica Blue Mountain is the best. Each day we had breakfast on the Terrace overlooking the beach, ocean and blue sky….Heaven on Earth.
We celebrated my 54th birthday with a candlelight dinner of surf and turf on the pier with our own butler who addressed all of our needs from start to finish. All of the food was hot and delicious. The sounds of the ocean, spending time with my beautiful wife and the candle lights under the stars while drinking champagne, is one of my most memorable experiences. I could go on and on but in a nutshell this is a great resort and we are planning a return visit.
If you want to party go next door to the Sandals Grand Rivera which is very nice, but also large. If you want a personalized, intimate, relaxed, quiet stay….visit the Royal Planation….and enjoy!

Room Tip: Try to get a room with an outside balcony.
4  Thank Terrell H
Reviewed 24 March 2012

Sadly we were very disappointed with this hotel. The hotel itself and the small beaches were lovely although the food was not up to the star it has been given. We were not looked after well I think we must have stumbled on the wrong butlers! Bathrooms very shabby and not up to expectations. Why it is in the top rating hotels alongside the Eden rock in Antibes is unbelievable! Absolutely no comparison. We have been to the excellence hotels in cancun and dominican republic. Although much bigger offer a far greater service and extras. We are sorry that we didn't choose The Excellence this time. Sadly the new Excellence is not quite ready in Jamaica yet. Even though you are paying top dollar for the royal plantation they even con you extra for the wireless connection which in my mind is preposterous. Hugely disappointing !

Stayed: February 2012
9  Thank poppydeb
Reviewed 18 March 2012

My husband and I stayed at this beautiful resort in October, 2011 and had a Fabulous time. Sandals Royal Plantation is absolutely Gorgeous and they even have peacocks walking around the property. We have never seen such a truly beautiful place with the most wonderful people.

Our butler, Mario, was Amazing and took such great care of us. He always had a completely shaded place on the beach reserved for us, as I cannot sit in the sun, due to having had melanoma several years ago. He arranged some wonderful excursions for us, like a shopping afternoon, and a fantastic trip to Dolphin Cove, where I got to swim with the dolphins. I would highly recommend trying that; it was wonderful. He also arranged a special tour for us to visit this beautiful park with lots of gorgeous birds and waterfalls. I think it is now called Turtle River Falls and Gardens and if you are a bird lover, you must go there!! There is an aviary with all of these beautiful birds, from little parakeets to a beautiful scarlet macaw and every type in between. Also there were peacocks walking around too. The guide gives you birdseed and all of of a sudden, all these amazing colorful birds are flying and landing on you. It is an Incredible experience for a bird lover.

The beach was absolutely lovely and very relaxing. Adrian, the beach butler, was Wonderful and always brought me those delicious "mangosas", which is their signature cocktail. This is a small beach, but very intimate and gorgeous.

We stayed in the St. Ann Verandah Room which was Beautiful and had a very spacious bathroom with a wonderful jacuzzi tub, separate shower area and two sinks/counters and a very large verandah which overlooked the beach. Talk about an incredible view. We also had a mini bar outside which was always stocked with sodas, juices and sparkling wine and whatever else you wanted. Very very beautiful room.

The restaurants were beautiful and you could eat inside or outside. Both The Terrace Restaurant and Le Papillon were beautiful and had wonderful menus. The food was Fantastic and I had lobster a few times and it was Delicious. My husband really enjoyed his steaks too and there were several wonderful dishes to choose from that we really thought were great. The Royal Cafe right on the beach had lots of choices. They had great Lobster BL&T's, jerk chicken and shrimp and delicious coconut shrimp. Very yummy. They also had a Jamaica night where they had a lovely buffet outside with Caribbean lobster tails and all kinds of delicious Jamaican cuisine and some great entertainment as well. There also was nightly entertainment where you could dance under the stars.

You could also have a driver take you over to the Sandals Grande Riviera, which had some very good restaurants. We visited there a couple of times, but really preferred the intimacy and overall fantastic restaurants at Royal Plantation. We did enjoy Gordon's Restaurant by the water at the Grande Riviera, which is very nice and you need reservations. Sandals Grande Riviera is a much larger resort and is fun to visit, but doesn't have the charm and intimacy that Royal Plantation offers.

You can also go shopping at The Peacock Shop which has lot of fun things to buy and we found some of the peacocks hanging out in front of the shop too. The Wobbly Peacock Pub has great drinks and is a beautiful place to relax and listen to some great piano playing.
Peter Fraser, the General Manager is very friendly and does a great job running this beautiful resort.

The Candlelight dinner is very very romantic where you can pay extra to have a private dinner for two on the beach or on the pier with a special menu to choose from and your own private dinner butler. It is the most romantic dinner we have ever had and is well worth the price. Also a note to say that on the first day, Garey was our butler and took great care of us, but then had to go to another Sandals in the Bahamas. Mario then took care of us the rest of the time and did a Fantastic job.

Never have we been to a more Beautiful, Romantic and Intimate place. We are going back for our 30th in 2013. Very very highly recommend if you want a very beautiful, peaceful and relaxing paradise.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Singbird77
Reviewed 16 March 2012

We recently spent 3 days here, a few at another property. This is our 5th time back and still find this property to be our favorite tropical vacation. The employees are truly genuine in wanting to make your vacation the best for you. The manager, Mr. Fraiser is very visible and constantly follows up on the property, employees and most importantly the guests to make sure you receive a 5 star experience. The food is the best of any property we've stayed at and no matter what type of room you get here, you can't go wrong as it is the experience we treasure most. (we've stayed at several different category rooms and all are good!). Thanks to the many employees who went out of their way to accommodate us in our every wish, most importantly to our butlers Sophia and Audell who were amazing to spend time with. PS. Thanks for putting up with us over eager Jamericans! Ya Mon'

Room Tip: Any room here is a win
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocho Rios
80.2 km away
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall

Been to Sandals Royal Plantation? Share your experiences!