All reviews continental breakfast sweet spot hot water ice machine italian cafe ocean front banana bread oceanfront room nice bathroom per day us dollars security staff the hotel manager west end lounge chairs night life kelvin
Reviewed November 3, 2010

I stayed at Rooms Negril for 4 nights in October. The hotel and room were nicer than I expected. The rooms are basic and some sparsely furnished but nice. The rooms on the second floor have vaulted ceilings which was very nice. We were in room 2501 which faces the interior and has partial ocean view. Other rooms had balconies that faced other buildings or adjacent properties. I liked being on the 2nd floor because of the vaulted ceilings but some rooms on the first floor were nice because the balconies were surrounded by shrubs and had lots of privacy.
Beachfront Rooms - only the first floor rooms have decks/balconies.
Rooms- we had the King room and the bed was comfortable. Although I hated they didn't use fitted sheets so sheets always came off. Also our bed had no comforter like in the pictures only a plain blanket. Not a problem though. The air worked very well. Great flat screen TV although it is mounted a little too high. Rooms had desk and small dresser for clothing. Nice closet and safe in closet. The bathrooms were very nice. Spacious and updated glass shower. HOWEVER....the reviews about problems with HOT WATER are true. I was there 4 nights and didn't have hot water one day of my stay. I called three times and they were nice and said maintenance would check it or maintenance person was not there. The last day I was fairly insistent and they let me go to another room to shower. Another guest told me she had the same problem and they moved her to another room the first day because she was more insistent. The hot water seems to be limited to certain buildings/rooms. So be prepared for this potentially and be stern about fixing it.

Grounds/Beach - beautiful. The area around the pool was very nice. They have a small gym that seemed adequate. Sitting area by restaurant that overlooks beach. Also private beach area behind the wall. All very nice. Security on the beach and at entrance is awesome.

Amenities - I didn't bother with restaurant because of all of the other reviews I read. The laundry facilities were broken so don't plan on using them. This seems to be a recurring theme in the reviews as well. They do have towels for the beach though no one told me at check in. I found out when she ask me at checkout if I had gotten towels. No sure if they are free or how the towels work. I think if you go in with the right expectations you will be pleasantly surprised.

There are two computers in the lobby. Honestly one wasn't working for a day and sometimes you had problems with the other. I would say they worked 80 to 90% of the time. A small hassle but nice when they worked. I wish they would give you free Wi Fi access but they charge like $5 per hour or something. Raise the room rates a few dollars and just offer the access free to guest.

You can rent a fridge for $8 per day but I had to ask like 3 times before I finally got it.

Staff - pleasant for the most part. I think they really tried to be accommodating and pleasant. I think they realize there are some issues with hot water and some things not working so they do the best they can to make you happy.

We walked down the street to Sweet Spot for breakfast,lunch and dinner. LOVED THEIR FOOD. Also jerk stand in front of The Jungle and in front of Alfreds was very good.

It wasn't luxurious but I would definitely stay here again. As another reviewer said the place definitely has potential. They just need to pay attention to service in a few areas. It wasn't horrible just small inconveniences. Again if you expect these little bumps you will be fine. If you are really uptight and pretentious you might get easily annoyed.

Overall, the rooms were very clean and comfortable. I would say this place could eventually compare to a Hampton Inn or similar in the states.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank traveladdict520
Reviewed October 24, 2010

Rooms Negril is a underrated treasure! Huge, clean (new/renovated) and well appointed rooms, strong hot showers, enormous king size beds and a view to die for (Ocean Front room). Our Ocean Front room had a huge day bed on the balcony that could fit 3 people and outdoor seating, a plasma tv, wonderful air conditioning and reflective glass on the windows (so privacy is not an issue). The view........ just heavenly.

Service is exceptional (Shernette, Owen & Kalvin especially!), the grounds are immaculately maintained (great pool) and the value for money in Jamaica is outstanding. I travelled alone with my 2yr old daughter and absolutely everyone was so friendly and lovely to us without fail.

I cannot fault this hotel in any way, shape or form. It's my 5th trip to Negril and have stayed in a wide range of hotels. I would recommend Rooms Negril to absolutely anyone visiting Negril and can't wait to return.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Sandy-WorldTraveler
Reviewed October 9, 2010

Just back from "Rooms on the Beach", Negril.... This hotel remains one of the best buys for beach lovers. I booked my trip Sunday morning at 2:30AM, leaving Tuesday at 5:45 AM from DFW Airport... The fight went smoothly and before you now it I was crossing the threshold of "Rooms". After a quick check in with Shernette and Owen at the front desk, Negril awaited! The best news I heard was that Super Clubs would take over the restaurant in December, with eventual buffet offerings and possible an All Inclusive option in the near future!!!...The Restaurant was never a highlight of this cool little spot and it closes at 10, leaving no night vibes(music or any guest interaction) Since our trip there last June for my daughters 18th Birthday and Highschool graduation, a few things have changed at Rooms...#1 The free breakfast is now devoid of fruit, consisting of some O.J. toast and a bit of pastry...The Restaurant/Bar closes at 7P.M. instead of 11 or 12...The front office was closed from 11 or 12p til 7A...I don't know if this was because of the huge storms on Sept. 29th and 30th which whacked out some raods making it difficult for some workers to get in from the countryside...That said, I am excited about the "New" restaurant and possible A options...The Maid staff was simply awesome and my room was always immaculate, with plenty of towels, hot water etc... The security team has changed, but still is on top of it's game....The front desk staff remains strong, but the loss of Ricardo's experience is hard to replace...The swimming pool is pristine and served me well, as the seas were really rough as they adjust from the storm. I walked everywhere, as this spot is in the middle of everything happening on the beach...I attended functions at Roots Bamboo, Alfred's Ocean Palace, Fun Holiday Resort and The Jungle(It really is on Thursday for Ladies Night)were all within a 5-7 minute walk from Rooms. Ms. Grant, the GM looks like she has big plans for this little gem of a resort!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
5  Thank Smokinbbb
Management response:Responded October 20, 2010

Rooms Negril is pleased to announce that as of November 15, 2010 it will take over the on property restaurant and bar operation.

Reviewed September 15, 2010

I arrived at the hotel and was greeted by Sienna Ann with such a "warm welcome", I knew that my vacation was off to a great start. We were checked in, and within 20 minutes or so and upgraded to "oceanview". Once settled in we made our way to a little
local spot called the "sweet spot" and enjoyed a great local dish. The beach is beautiful and every day we enjoyed soaking up the sun and morning walks. We ate at various places, side of the road and restaurant and just enjoyed the relaxing vibe !!! I don't have and complaints, my stay was beautiful!!!! I will be back in a few months..

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank sheri23
Reviewed August 27, 2010

Great hotel except for the breakfast (included). It would be better if they just gave you a credit as their a la carte breakfast was goodt. The "free" breakfast was Tang "orange juice" (We brought our own fresh juice from the little grocery store that Jonathan runs across the street ...great prices and a very nice chap!) dried toast, stale cereal and help yourself tea and coffee.
Anyway will certainly go back!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple