“First time in Jamaica! Best Resort ever!”

Negril Tree House Resort
Ranked #12 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 10 March 2012

My husband and I traveled in late feb 2012.
I loved everything about the treehouse. The people guests and workers alike were the most friendly! I recommend The treehouse for anyone looking for a laid back comfortable safe relaxing time!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Allison S
Write a ReviewReviews (1,396)

Reviewed 8 March 2012

1st let me say all my comments will be backed up with pics where possible & if they let me upload them all ! 1) 6:30 am wake up every morning from loud rude kitchen staff, landscapers [by 7:am] yelling across the yard & the worn out luggage rack coming down the sidewalk with early check outs sounded nothing less then like a freight train, pressure washing at 7:00am-total disregard for their guest peace & quiet at those hours 2) allowing loud construction work into the late evening hours 3) being able to feel the bed springs on the bed 4) never got to use the swing outside my door because their's next door was missing so they used mine 5) mosquito's tore my butt up due to the large gaps between window slats & holes in the screens 6) A/C mounted above headboard blowing downward into my face, couldn't take it & left it off, slept in a warm room 7) locks on doors are a joke - locked myself out of the room but noticed a fingernail file on the table next door, 5 seconds later I was back in my room, not a good feeling when you have $3,000 worth of electronics in that room & you're out everyday sightseeing 8) fire alarm system not working, the pull station was in the down position [pulled/activated] the whole week I was there & in that position the fire alarm should have been going off [I teach life safety at my job] 9) both bedside table lamps had open exposed wires & electrical connections, I left them unplugged as I had no wish to die in a electrical fire 10) the lamp shades had what looked like poop fingerprints on them, for Christ sake they're fabric-CLEAN THEM 11) I counted 20 holes in my curtain,what a dump 12) broken furniture-fix or remove 13) there were 2 $15.00 charges for each day on my bill labeled "taxes" one I knew was a gov. tax but found out the other one was a automatic tip charge which really pissed me off as I had already been tipping really good, had I known there would have been no tipping & I guess that's why they don't tell you that upfront-that's very dishonest in my book 14) in the lobby area 40% of the pictures on the wall were almost at a 45 degree angle which is representative of their total lack of attention to detail of any kind & at check in I got a gut feeling I just checked into a dive & I was right !!!!!! The ocean view was 2nd to none but so are all the other hotel views on this beach !! Hmmmm.... Trip Advisor says my pics are too large to upload [bullcrap] so here's my email chesterr51@yahoo.com if you are thinking of staying here & want the pics !!!!! Maybe I can save someone else from staying in this dump !!!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
36  Thank Chester R
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Before we booked the Negril Tree House (NTH) we read a year's worth of reviews on tripadvisor. So many guests spoke so highly about this small hotel even tho it is about 25 years old. It is not, as many said, a 4 or 5 star premise. So without preconceptions or expectations we booked it and crossed our fingers. We are SO very happy we went, and we will return again. I don't want to repeat everyone elses comments about breakfasts - very good, or other stuff but here is our take.

Rooms: We upgraded to an ocean view room (#6). You could see the ocean if you left your door open. It was on the 2nd floor. If you book an ocean view try to get room #5 or #4. We would not have liked the first floor ocean view rooms as they sit right off a well traveled walkway to the beach. Not a big minus, but we liked the privacy above. Also a plus is that since we were close to the lobby, most of the ocean view rooms received free wifi. The room was small with the King bed but comfortable and clean. There are no bath amenities like shampoo, conditioner, etc., and we recommend you bring those and your own hair dryer. Mattress great, pillows left us wanting. There is a key-locked safe in the room. The towels are a bit rough and have been around for some time (maybe years).

Beach and pool:
The beach is powder soft sand, albeit small in size. The chaise lounges are okay but not really comfortable. They needed pads. After a day or two one tends to ignore that because the sun is shining, the rum punches are flowing, the ambiance among guests is so warm and congenial. Oh and again, their rum punches are priced reasonably and are strong - YUM. Also Red Stripe beers are inexpensive too. There are massage tables on the beach and they were always busy. Also reasonably priced. The beach vendors are no big deal and easy to ignore. There is limited shade on the beach, so if you want an umbrella, get down there early (about 8 a.m.) and claim the appropriate chaises. On the beach is a shaded pavillion for snacks, lunch and dinner and drinks. I stayed in the sun all day, and my wife preferred partial shade. There are usually two security guys on the beach and Moses, one of them is a gem.

Just about 100 yards east of the hotel is a ("You want me to eat there?") little shack with a sign that said Aunties beachfront. We ate the jerk chicken and had their beef patties. Really inexpensive, and really good. They had fresh lobster that they would grill too. You have to ask for it and they pull a cage out of the ocean and you pick your choice of live lobster for them to grill...about $15. Also YUM. The hotel has jerked pork and chicken on the menu but it is about double the cost. At the shack, the jerk chicken was $6 p/p and at the hotel about double. However the hotel does serve you in comfort, with real plates and with rice and veggies, and a real napkin. The shack is just that and you are served on aluminum foil and need many paper napkins because it is eat with your finger type food.

Staff: As most everyone said the staff is fabulous, mostly attentive whether at the front desk or at the beach. Big kudos to front desk's Carlene, waitress Stacy, and bartender Patrick

Negril Restaurants. We will reveiw these separately however found some real pearls. Our favorite was a taxi ride away, the Rock House Pushcart restaurant. Nice live Jamaican music, casual atmosphere, good presentation, nice staff and no rush. Overlooks the cliffs to the water below. We also ate at The Rock House, supposedly an institution there. Rushed service and one of two entrees was good. Would not return. At restaurant Kuyaba we should have gone earlier for sunset, so we ate in candle lit darkness and could not enjoy the ambiance of the restaurant because it was too dark. Some people used mini flashlights to read the menus. Food was excellent. Right down the beach from NTH is the Wind Star restaurant and hotel. On Tuesdays and Thursdays they have a buffet, live entertainment and nice music. It cost $25 p/p and well worth it considering the food was plentiful and good, and the entertainment was enjoyable. Ivan's at Catch a Rising Star hotel was the Best restaurant we ate at. No question. The lodge at Tensing Pen resort had one waiter who was also the host, and one cook. With that said they tried so hard it was the best service we had. The jerk chicken was blah, but the snapper was fabulous.

We are used to the Ritz and Four Seasons for our holiday travel, but NTH will be the exception going forward. We will return and look to see the friends we made there on this trip as all of us agreed that we would return th the Tree House.

We spent 8 wonderful days at this hidden gem. Many people came down on a living social deal, and everyone agree it is a good offer. Suggest you add a few days onto the deal to make it a whole week's stay.

Side note, if you take a private car from Montego Airport it is $40 - $50 pp each way. If you take a shared mini-bus it is $18 - $$25 pp No brainer. We think JUTA is the lower cost and Kenny Tours is slightly the more expensive one. Let the hotel make the arrangements for you.

Bring many one dollar bills for tipping. And remember, most everything is negotiable.

A highlight: Coming back from one restaurant in a taxi at night we left our expensive camera in the back seat (maybe too many rum punches?). 30 minutes later our taxi driver chased us down deep into our hotel and returned it. Great values and kudos to Ziggy with Juta who was the taxi driver.

Down the beach a bit to the west is a nightclub, not the Margaritaville, but further away, and their music blares well into the wee hours of the morning. So many of us went to sleep to the beat of their bass thumping beat. Not much one can do about that.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
15  Thank hkparadise
Reviewed 3 March 2012

The Tree House resort has a fantastic location right on 7-mile beach. Just steps away from Margaritaville on the left and shopping either direction if you are looking for souvenirs from your trip. Highly recommend the parasailing which you can arrange right from the front desk. Also you can arrange laundry service for a nominal fee from the front desk. Wifi is free in the lobby or you can get a wifi card and surf in your room for $3 per day. No big deal. When you sit down for lunch or dinner, order your food right away as it takes a little while for the food to come. Another "ting' I like about this resort is they keep the vendors at bay from the resort so you are not bothered while sunbathing or eating. You can get a taxi to town to go to the store or wherever. One drawback is you can hear the other people partying at night. Maid service is excellent. If you can ask for a suite upgrade. They are large and comfortable and have a refrigerator.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite upgrade
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank ssahls
Reviewed 29 February 2012

My husband and I went to Jamaica 2/11-22/2012. We've stayed at the Negril Tree house for the past 10 years and it only gets better. Good food, great staff and definitely the best location for the sunset. Don't hesitate, this is the vacation of a life time. Incredibility Awesome, and Beautiful experience.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank lavita46531
Reviewed 29 February 2012

Our first time to Jamaica and we will for sure go back. We had no idea what to expect here but upon arrival at the Tree house that this was a beautiful location. The water here is unbelievable. The staff here is extremely friendly and the property is rustic but clean and has a tropical feel for sure. If you are looking for the big modern resort then this is not the place but if you are looking for a great location (30 feet from the water) with great people and a real jamaica experience for a good price then this is the place. Excellent security and we felt safe the entire time. The water sports people were excellent and so was Kenny tours for transportpation. Our only issues was with our loud neighbors that partied until dawn and our bed had a hard mattress but the many positives allowed us to shrug it off and enjoy ourselves.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank chron57
Reviewed 29 February 2012

We stayed at Tree House because if a deal we purchased with Living Social! It was not my first visit to Negril, but definitely a great visit! We celebrated my son's 21st birthday!

Staff: The staff was great from my first contact with them. I was a little hesitant due to not knowing very much about the place. From my reservation to our stay the staff was very helpful! Our arrival was delayed because of our flight and Patricia & Karen were very helpful in getting our group situated since we arrived separately! Charmaine was awesome because she knew it was my son's birthday and had a small cake sent to the room! We loved Chef Allan as well! He always sang and was happy! He said we were 'movie stars'! We got movie star status treatment!

Room & Site: The rooms were clean! We stayed in room 23 & 24. There was air conditioning in both rooms I believe there is AC in all rooms! Did I mention the rooms were clean? The site was too! There was staff on hand keeping everything neat and tidy! Beds were comfy as well!

Food: We ate breakfast there daily and lunch as well! Breakfast was tasty! It had the normal made to order eggs, waffles, grits and fresh fruit! But also there were local dishes added in the mix daily! We ate lunch with Chef Allan daily! His Jerk Chicken and Pork were awesome! I have OCD when it comes to cleanliness and Chef Allan added that extra touch that made eating with him comfortable. He grilled the chicken daily! And although his cooking and serving area were outdoors (which is a normal attraction for bugs), he kept things neat, tidy & covered at all times. He CONSTANTLY washed his hands! Even when he plated our food, he was all about the presentation and would wipe off any speck of rice or extra drop of sauce that landed outside of the proper area. He was awesome and his food was just as great!

Overall we had a great time. Definitely a wonderful memory for my son! We met other's on our way to the site that had stayed there previously and told us that we were in for a treat. We met couples that stayed there for the last 5 years and loved it. I have a feeling we will be one of those families as well!

Room Tip: We stayed in rooms 23 & 24. Both were rooms were nice. Both had AC and King Size beds. Cable tel...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family