“Great location. Beautiful scenery. Average food. So-so service.”

Negril Tree House Resort
Ranked #12 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 21 May 2012

Our room (at Tree House was perfect for us. It was very private, big enough, and very clean. The A/C worked-ish. Sometimes it had a mind of its own if you clicked the wrong button on the remote but the weather was so nice we really didn't need it. Great table and chair hammock on patio. Would definitely recommend 2nd floor.

The location, landscaping, housekeeping and bar service is what gives this place 4 stars for me. I liked the location because it seemed more quiet and secluded than closer to downtown Negirl. You may hear some bass from nearby clubs but it will only keep you up if you are very light sleeper. The landscapers were RELENTLESS and always working to make the resort look immaculate. Our room was very clean when we arrived and was cleaned well each day. The bartenders were also very good and the drinks were strong.

The pool area is also very nice and provides a good break from the beach. Wireless in the lobby is also handy.

Definitely recommend getting a massage from Cheryl's while you are there. We waited until the last day and it was perfect.

The breakfast was ok but disorganized and service was hit or miss. Somedays we got great service others we didn't get any. Food from the hotel was ok and reasonably priced. Drinks were a little more expensive than other beach bars but not extremely.

Service at the front desk was rarely cordial. It's the only thing that kept me from giving it 5 stars. When the person that checks you in doesn't look happy to be there or happy to help you, it kind of starts things off on the wrong foot.

Overall, it really is a great bang for your buck and has a ton of charm. With some service improvements, I don't see any chain resorts competing with Tree House.

Room Tip: Ocean side room. 2nd Floor. Corner room.
2  Thank wojo15jg
Write a ReviewReviews (1,396)

Reviewed 17 May 2012

My friend and I booked this hotel on a living social deal.
The good:
*Clean. Rooms were really clean.
*Location
*Price
*beachfront area
*Air conditioning in rooms
*Breakfast included. Fresh fruit, waffles, etc...

The Bad:
*Loud, and the walls are REALLY thin, don't plan on getting a great night sleep
*The staff was nice at times. I felt for the most part that they weren't very helpful. If you plan on staying here plan out what you are going to do and where you are going to eat before coming. Don't think you can rely on the staff here, they aren't very forthcoming
*Breakfast was provided but SO unorganized. I waited in line for waffles for 20 minutes only to find out they were taking orders...really weird and no direction.

All in all a nice place to stay. Just do your homework before coming.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank raingowens
Reviewed 17 May 2012

I was in Montego Bay on a medical mission trip in March 2012 and had the opportunity to take an excursion to Negril for a day. Our driver dropped us off on the beach at Tree House Resort. I fell in love with the location and the hospitality. We found a spot under the shade and were politely approached by a man named Captain Morgan who let us know that he was nearby and could arrange water sports for us, and by a woman who let us know that she offered massages for a dollar a minute on the other side of the Tree House restaurant. My mom and I had cocktails from the bar and one of the servers came over to our spot on the beach and let us know that we could order lunch and be served on the beach. We chose to sit at a table at the restaurant right in front of the water and we had delicious salads and oohed and aahed over how nice the whole setting was. Upon my return home, I told my boyfriend how perfect this place looked for us, checked out Trip Advisor reviews and saw that Tree House was also recommended in Lonely Planet. Airfare was affordable so I booked a week-long trip for Tree House the day after I returned from my mission trip. I literally counted down the days until my return!!

What we loved:

Breakfast on the 2nd floor with views of the sea included Jamaican dishes every day, omelettes made to order, juice and Blue Mountain coffee served by friendly servers. Leon was always sweet and Maurice noticed me taking pictures by myself one day (my boyfriend was sleeping in) and offered to take my picture in front of the beautiful view and offered to refill my coffee cup that he saw I was taking with me back to the room.

Lunch: GET THE JERK CHICKEN!!! It was the best we had the whole trip! But order it early because they run out! Also watch for the guy selling Jamaican patties out of a cardboard box propped up on his bike. He walks along the beach past Tree House every day. Patties are $1.50US and he's super nice. We also loved the pizza at Tree House.

The beach in Negril is heavenly. It's clean, the water is crystal clear to the bottom, the sand is soft, I almost cried after I came out of the water on our last day. Beach vendors will approach you, especially when you walk up and down the beach, but they will keep walking if you are polite and say no, thank you. Security is present at Tree House and they make hustlers move along if they come up to guests on the beach.

Get a massage from Cher (her table is at the back of the beach), she's a sweetie, but don't miss a massage from Sheryl and Latoya in the white uniforms under the canopy by the water. Boyfriend and I got a couples massage from them, they charged us $40US/person for an HOUR and it was AWESOME!!

Also appreciated the taxi service available at the front desk. We had great service from each of our drivers, Clive, Trevor, and Norris. Clive was especially gracious even after a misunderstanding about the price the first time he drove us.

We met really nice people staying at Tree House and always had new friends to sit by on the beach or to go out with at night. The people we met were a big highlight of our trip!

What made us sad:

Our 2nd day on the beach one of the housekeeping staff came up to me and told me I needed to come with her to my room. Not knowing what was going on, I jumped up from my beach chair and followed her in my bathing suit to our room where she told me that we had left too much sand on the floor and she had slipped and hurt her back and her ankle. She pointed to the area by the front door where we had shoes on the floor and an area on the other side of the bed where I had set down our beach bags from the day before. I understand she was upset that she had hurt herself and I apologized and let her know we would rinse our feet off before we came into our room. I felt really bad about this the rest of the day but felt she could have handled the situation more professionally. Did she pull me off the beach just to make me feel bad?? The next day I left her a note on our pillow next to the tip I left every day apologizing again and hoping she was having a better day. She ignored us the rest of the time we were there.

I was SO disappointed with the service during our stay here. I am actually perplexed at all of the reviews raving about it. We felt like the servers at the beach restaurant and the bartenders didn't care about us unless we were sitting with other guests they liked. Which I don't understand because we tipped and tipped every time we ordered anything. Nobody ever brought our food order out to us at our beach chairs although I saw food being brought out to people who weren't even guests at the hotel. I felt like I was going out of my way to smile and say thank you to staff so they would know that they could be nice to us.

I would totally go back to Negril and Jamaica for vacation but I don't know if I could bring myself to go back to Tree House. I went back there wanting to love it but we were so disappointed with the service. I'm heartbroken!

Room Tip: Walls are thin as others have pointed out and it starts getting noisy around 7am. You can hear bass...
4  Thank travell0ver4ever
Reviewed 16 May 2012

My husband got a deal via Living Social and I must say it was an awesome deal! The hotel is clean and spacious with a super large bathroom. The people are soooo helpful and genuine. We stalked the woman that does excursions everyday and she was sweet as pie and gave us a ton of ideas! The food was GREAT!!! Ackee, sewed chicken, fresh dumplin, coffeee....we were never dissapointed buy the breakfast! Only complaint is that we stayed in room 38 and it seems it was a suite, so while we could not eventer the other room we could hear every single word out of their mouths. Very frustrating, but not bad enough for us to complain or request another room. We would absolutely return!

Reviewed 15 May 2012

We purchased a great deal from Living Social which was our primary reason for staying at Tree House. Our transfer from the airport was done by Kenny Tours and it was an 1 1/2 hour drive to the resort. The driver was nice and made frequent stops. He also pointed out landmarks and to let us know each time we entered a different town. Check-in was delayed about an hour as our room was not ready. We stayed in room #51 which was on the 2nd floor. Both the bathroom & bedroom were a very good size. The room was clean and decorated with a carribean flair. The room has a safe and an older t.v. and that's about it. There's no refrigerator or alarm clock so keep that in mind. The grounds are well maintained with nice landscaping. The resort has one small pool and a jacuzzi - neither of which were crowded at all during our stay. The best feature of this resort is it's location which is right on 7-mile beach. Lot's of activity on the beach and you can purchase everything from jewelery to fresh fruit and even lobsters! This is a small resort with one bar and one restaurant and that's it. If you are looking for food or even a cocktail after 10 p.m. you will not find it at this resort as everything seems to shut down. We got hungry one night and had to take a taxi in to town to get something (another thing to keep in mind). With the exception of breakfast and the jerk chicken hut, I found the food to be terrible. They have one menu and it is the same for lunch & dinner (they add one specialty item each night for dinner). 90% of the menu is Asian cuisine with a few jamaican dishes (I still can't figure that out). The food we did try was not good at all and completely overpriced (try Cosmos, Kuyaba and Rockhouse). I found the bar and waitstaff to be pleasant and helpful. The front desk staff however, appeared to be bothered by customers and weren't at all helpful. If you are using a living social voucher your best bet is to charge your food and drink to your room in order to ge the 10% discount. If not, the bartenders will charge you full price since they have no idea that your are entitled to a discount. Also, good luck trying to get a discount on the watersports. We were told the jet ski was broken during our entire stay and were not offered anything else to compensate. Overall we had a really nice time and you will too as long as you keep your expectations in check.

2  Thank Sherryann33
Reviewed 15 May 2012

This was my 5th year at tree house, if it were a good experience with them, I would not go back each year. Rooms are clean, staff is friendly and very accommodating, breakfast is awesome, beach is fabulous, food is the best on the beach for jerk chicken and pork, thanks to Grill Chef Allen. Bar is on the beach and they make great cocktails. All is safe, security is on the propery 24/7. The staff takes care of the guests and it is much appreciated. I expect to return next season.

Room Tip: Rooms & baths are large, and was very quiet, we had rooms in three different areas, all was good...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 May 2012

If you're looking for a luxurious resort, an all-inclusive or some antiseptic gringo-paradise -- Negril Tree House is not the place. But if you're looking for a chilled out, well located spot smack in the middle of Negril's 7 mile beach with attentive service, meticulously cleaned rooms (daily) with spectacular views located literally right on the beach (not set back like most hotels), then this is for you. My family (my wife, 2 kids, 7 and 10 yrs old and my 80 yr old mother-in-law) had a sublime week here April 8-15, 2012. Our one bedroom suite was perfect facing the beach with a small patio and serviceable kitchenette (basically to warm things up and for cold drinks) and was exactly one small jump onto the beach. The staff is wonderful (from all at the reception desk to Rosemarie at the travel desk to all the drivers especially Norris, Clive and Williams, but Norris is a local historian, to most of the wait staff, especially Stacy, and all of the maintenance staff and security). Breakfast is included and it's plentiful and delicious. The rooms are somewhat rundown (stains in the tubs, murphy beds have seen better days, but mattresses were fine, furniture has seen better days, etc) -- but what a bargain at US$240 a night (including the breakfast and all taxes). We felt at home within hours after our arrival and didn't want to leave (and plan to return). There are lots of great spots to stay on the West End (the Cliffs area), but with kids it's unreal to stay here. We could run back to the room leaving the kids in the gentle, waveless, shallow sea in front of the hotel without worrying about anything happening to them. The whole compound is quite safe and embracing. Yes, there are hustlers on the beach, but you quickly learn how to a) ignore them; b) get into some fairly engaging chats with them. The hotel allows daytrippers from Montego Bay to use their beach/chairs as long as they buy food from the restaurant which is slightly annoying, but not really. The restaurant is fine, but but not great and there are plenty of better options. The hotel has many taxi drivers available at a moment's notice -- there is no need to rent a car -- go with these experienced hands for anything from heading to the Cliffs to checking out YS Falls. We're well traveled and have rarely found a place so pitch perfect (and an hour 15 min from the Montego Bay airport -- easy peasy).

Room Tip: The one bedroom suites are a steal but a bit rundown (but we loved our room and yes it has full cabl...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family