“not swept away - NOT SAFE”
Review of Couples Swept Away

Couples Swept Away
Ranked #13 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 19 December 2011

Truly a disaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We did everything we could to get an early check-in prior to leaving the states and when arriving in Mobay, by early I mean one hour – not too much to ask when you have so many rooms and we were part of a wedding party and the bride is a big repeater at Couples. We were the last to arrive on the actual wedding day , we are 2 couples who arrived at 2:30 for a wedding at 4pm. Not only did check in take almost 45 mins but they only had one room available for 2 couples – we all rushed to shower and get ready in the one room – a cluster to say the least. There was no hospitality room offered for the other couple – no choice but to shower in one room. Then of course we were on-time to the wedding – they asked us to be there at 3:45 and the wedding didn’t start until almost 4:30 – they looked very unorganized and not happy – that is the staff of CSA. We were told our room would be ready after the wedding…..we went to our room which was 3302 I believe which is a garden verandah on the 3rd floor which was not a great room in any means – it’s on the 3rd floor and the balcony is almost all closed in. I know I might be skipping around some but keep in mind 4 people after traveling from Mobay got ready in less than 30 mins in one room, went to a wedding on the beach in the hot Jamaican sun, not a good time to get married if you ask me. So we went back to our room at 3302 after the wedding to grab a few things and go see if our other room was ready BUT our key would not work – yet again CSA messed up but it gets really bad from here. Two of us went to the front to get a new key they were told they couldn’t have a knew key since we were just given keys less than a couple of hours ago – then while the two were arguing with the front to get a key the bellhop brought another couple to our room – they were given our room to check into!! The reason our keys didn’t work is b/c they keyed them for the new couple who was also checking into a room that 4 of us were already checked into. The bellhop was so confused and asked to use our phone to call the office – the other couple looked pissed - as they should since they just arrived and CSA already messed up big time – how can they not know they just checked us into that room 2 hrs ago??!! Once the bellhop took the other couple (that would have been 6 people, 3 couples into the same room) back to check in and our other two arrived back we both exchanged our awful stories. Don’t think things can go downhill anymore – just wait!! We go back to check in for the second time – we wait 30 mins and they still don’t have a room ready but tell us they will come find us at the wedding. We go back to the wedding after all that to find out we missed group photos and the bride was asking for us!! We are waiting for the reception to start – there is a 2.5 hr time difference from the wedding to reception. While trying to keep with the group and find a bar to serve drinks – most were closed – need food as well – nowhere to get an app – someone in the wedding said our room was ready. The four of us went back to the front desk for round 3!! If you want to keep going I think we have 6 rounds at the front desk ranging in 30 mins to almost an 1.5 hr in less than our 42 hour stay = I think it was almost 5 hrs spent at the front desk – this does not include the time to get to the front desk which would be at least another 1.5 hr!! , so out of 42 hr stay and 6 plus hours trying to figure out rooms this place needs a new leader!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! after getting to the front desk for round 3 to get our second room which we requested near our first room since all the bags were there they gave us a room on the other side of the resort yet on the map they circled it beside our original room 3302. We walked back that way to discover the new room wasn’t anywhere near the old room. Mind you they didn’t offer a bellhop to help move bags nor did a manager apologize for all the confusion. We made a group decision that the reception already started that we would have to find the new room after the reception. After the reception we decided to wonder around and look for the new room 1112. Finally after finding it we use the key they gave us and entered someone else’s room – someone was living in 1112!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! same thing they did to us at 3302 but we just happen to be there when the bellhop dropped off the other couple. We could have stole everything from the couple staying in room 1112 since they were out!! Thank goodness we are good people!! Round 4 – this is about 10:30-11pm when we went back to the front desk – they acted confused – unconcerned – no manager to speak to – after 30 mins yet again spent at the front desk I said we are not missing another minute of the after party and we were leaving – we would all sleep in the same room since NO ONE can figure out what is going on and there is not a manager to speak to – they couldn’t care less and had the attitude of oh well – see ya tom!! The night was rough to say the least – thank goodness we are all old college buddies!! The next morning I thought a manager would be at my door ready to help but nope I had to go back to the front desk and ask for a manager which took almost 15-20mins for a manager to appear and then I had to tell and re-tell the story for over an hour – they were trying to tell me I was in the wrong room – I was supposed to be in room 1106 but I had the keys to show them my name with the keys for 1112 – it was all too confusing for me and 3 managers – I spent almost 1.5hrs in the front desk yet again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not only were the rooms not secure for us but it also happened to 2 other couples in the wedding with entering someone else room or someone entering theirs – this property is NOT SAFE – lock up all belongings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! finally after the first 15 hrs of ________________ the managers finally put their heads together – thank goodness for Ms. White and they found us 2 new rooms near each other. The second day went so much more smoothly compared to the first 5 rounds to the front desk. Mind you I also had to see the operations manager Donna before checking out – another 30 mins and I said I would take nothing less than the first night refunded for both couples and I would NOT stop until I got it – she said she didn’t think that would happened and I said YES it’s the only right thing to do – the breach of security twice was enough to refund our money – much less everything else from missing the wedding at different times – the 5 rounds, this being the 6th round with donna spent at the front desk. Not once did anyone step up in those first 4 rounds and help figure out what was happening or to help us. The front desk constantly is answering the phones –trying to multi-task which I think is where half the mistakes start to happen – they are not focused on welcoming you and helping guide you – they are under staffed and too busy doing other stuff.

On the the rest of CSA – we were there 2 nights (thank goodness we were not there longer!!) the wedding food was marginal but the rest of the meals were nothing special. It doesn’t speak to well either that it was “lobster night” at CSA but no lobster at the wedding, what a joke, There is not much “Jamaican” flavor at CSA and it’s hard to get many people to help – think the lack of getting to tip makes all the difference in the world – why can’t we give a dollar – the dumbest rule ever!!

Beach is wonderful but we struggled to even find a empty chairs for four people, seven mile beach is long with plenty of other places to stay!!

I guess this place would fit people – I think if we were staying more than 2 days they might have gotten up off their bottoms and cared – so don’t stay for only a couple days. If you want American food in Jamaica then this is the place to be. If you don’t want to tip then this is the place to be. This is not old world Jamaica like historic hotels – this is an establishment that is meant to be a huge turn and burn – no service needed – buffets to stuff your faces – people that don’t tip – you can just lay around and stuff your faces!! I know this seems angry but we love Jamaica and can’t understand why ANYONE would travel all the way to Jamaica to stay behind the gates – eat American food and get no service!! I will never be back to a couples resort – even if a friend is getting married – I love all Jamaican things and staying at CSA is no better than staying somewhere in FL!!
Small details missed – we didn’t get our welcome bag the bride took so much time and money to put together – there are not well marked paths and the front desk will be annoyed if you ask extra questions. Feathers was closed the night we wanted to go, Sunday even though they said it was open. – the thai place is very small – not many tables. The beach bar staff was beyond bored to being serving drinks – no tips =s unhappy Jamaicans – I agree!! We rented our own catamaran cruise which the bride said was sooooooooooooooo much better than the couples catamaran cruise and she drinks the couples juice all the time, ha!! Can’t find any beach chairs – there is nothing private about couples – all couples are on top of each other. There is something always closed there – can’t get a drink here – closed – can’t get food here – closed – can’t get much!! The cabana bar which is open a long long time is just grease food to eat junk at – nothing more.

The good – the garden verandahs behind the palms which they said can get loud and hear the street traffic is soooooo much better than the 3302 – 1106 and 1206 our new rooms had open nice balconies which made a huge difference.

Guess I just like traveling to Jamaica a different way – I want Jamaican food – I want to tip Jamaicans – Im not trying to go on vacation to get the cheapest price with the most buffets to fight for chairs, no customer service and not to mention the chasing down a room!! We all want different vacations and this is not for ME!! The real Jamaica is just around the corner – RUN from couples!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: dont pick CSA
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
28  Thank CCCfortootie

Reviewed 16 December 2011

Just got back from 8 nights in swept away in a beachfront veranda room.We had requested a first floor room but when we arrived only a 3rd floor was available. They were very accommodating and changed us the next day The other minor problem was the air conditioner in the new room was not working properly and again the fixed that in 3 hrs. Other than that we found the property lushly landscaped a beautiful beach, good food in 5 restaurants and top quality drinks.We are senior citizens and have traveled extensively. As far as all inclusives are concerned I would not hesitate to return

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
15  Thank teddyc47
Reviewed 13 December 2011

We went to Couples Swept Away in Negril for our honeymoon and had the most amazing experience. The resort was so peaceful, even though there were many couples around, we had plenty of opportunity to feel alone in paradise. The food was absolutely AMAZING and I have never had better service on the beach. There are so many fun activities included, snorkeling, wind surfing, sailing, wakeboarding, volleyball, free massage class, the list goes on and on. I recommend visiting the Spa and having a couples massage, and most importantly, we recommend the sunsets. They are breathtaking!

Room Tip: We had a 1st floor room with a deck in the garden would choose that one again!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
16  Thank MelfromCincy
Reviewed 13 December 2011

CSA is AMAZING!!!! I do not have any complaints, everything was absolutely perfect. The service is superb and the people are just so friendly. You truly get what you pay for here.... I have no regrets from our experience. The only bad part was leaving!!!!! Already have our next trip booked and I cannot wait to be back at the most amazing place in the world!!!!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank EmilyMeyer
Reviewed 12 December 2011

We read all the reviews and prepared for all the bad things we read. We had no problems. No sand fleas no roaches nothing that we read about. The food was unbelievable good and the staff was really great. They took care of our every need and were so friendly. Would we go back again? Absolutely, as we are planning our next trip already. We met lots of people from all over and this was their favorite place to visit also. Don't miss it!

If you want to renew your vows this is a beautiful place to do that. My sister and her husband renewed theirs on their 30th and it was really great!

Russells
Amarillo, Texas

Room Tip: We had the beach front veranda room and it was awesome for the view of the beach and ocean. We open...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Russell96
Reviewed 11 December 2011

A group of 8 went to CSA to celebrate our 30th Birthdays. We loved CSA!
We stayed in an Atrium suite and it was nice. Kind of rustic because the whole room is screened windows with wood shutters. It was really loud at night (insects and frogs) but I loved that.
The food was very good. Lots of different places to eat.
Be sure to do the catamaran cruise and the snorkeling trips. Book early as they get filled quickly.
Hotel is in a good location - walking distance to shops and bars - margarittaville. Overall we had a great time and we all loved CSA. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Beckibob555
Reviewed 10 December 2011

Arrival was very smooth. It starts with a drink in a welcome lounge at the airport. Be prepared to tip $1 per luggage to the airport luggage people. Then 1 h 15 minutes minibus ride to the hotel listening reggae. Small bathroom break along the way. Then check-in. I guess we were lucky as it took ~30 min as I have seen reviews with longer than that. We had ordered a beach front verandah room with a wish for a ground floor. Initially they tried offering us the middle level (palm trees may block the view of the ocean depending where you are) but our request was honored once we pointed it out. The grounds are well kept and the beach front is literally a few feet away from the sand...

Rooms were basic and lacked the luxury finish - but nicely daily cleaned and with a comfortable bed that was not too soft nor too hard. Did not know how to get the air con to be lowere that +25c/76F but the fan helped to cool down air so in the end it did not matter. TV channels show most American channels and also HBO, golf channel etc.

The beach was fabulous as was the ocean (not too deep too fast and with clear turquois water and white firm sandy bottom) and the sun beds had matresses on that made the sun bathing comfortable and you could also take them with you to float on while swimming in the ocean. Flag system was there to get beach bar service but it was a bit slow so we ended up usually getting the drinks from the bar ourselves. The first 2 days were fabulous but then the wind picked up and the water activities got suspended. Thus we missed out on all the water sports. We heard that it is quite common thing so if we go next time, we will know to take the opportunity when it is there and not wait for the next day...

Full buffet breakfast starts 7:30 am so if you head out to morning sports or golf - you are in a bit of a hurry. The continental breakfast served before is too basic to even call it continental but the buffet is quite adequate in the offering of choices and variety. There is also an a la carte breakfast at Patois restaurant but we did not use it. Buffet lunch at the Palms is also decent with an opportunity to create your own salads and sandwiches and there was a choice of various meets and carbs to go for. It seems the menu varied nearly daily. Patois had a la carte lunch that varied in 3 versions depending on the day. Snacks are served at the beach front snack bar - quality decent. We did not eat at the Palms dinner time but checked it out a few times. The buffet theme continued. We ate one night at the Thai themed Lemongras - it was not authentic to our taste but we eat a lot Thai food and have traveled in Thailand so we might be picky on that note. The Patois served wonderful a la carte menus that rotated betwen different days. The high point is definately the Feathers. We have eaten in Michelin star restaurants and in some quite good other ones around the world but this ranked well among those - high quality international standards cuisine that you would not expect in an all inclusive resort!

The sports complex was wonderful. We used the gym daily - lots of appropriate, well maintained equipment. We also played tennis and squash and the courts were meticulously maintained and the rental equipment quite nice. We also tried the fitness circuit and swam a km in the lap pool - both well maintained and the lap pool water not too chloridized. We also played golf at the nearby Negril Hills course. It is challenging as it is quite hilly and thus you end up with difficult lies more often than not. It was relatively well maintained but it took a bit to learn how to play on a bermuda gras course... be prepared to pay $14/person for the caddy service and then tip the caddy anywhere between $15-20 for 18 holes. Drinks cart comes and goes pretty frequently.

We did not go in for the late nights or partying but heard a few bands play and it was quite entertaining and nice quality. We saw additional activities such as Bob Marley/reggae history lessons, beads and T-shirt making, etc.

All in all the staff was very friendly, lovely and attentive. In the specialty restaurants they were probably more attentive than in the Palms/Patois as I asked for some condiments in these and did not get them while Lemongras and Feathers personnel were very quick to fulfill your requests.

All in all, excellent value for the money. It would have definately gotten 5 stars if the room quality was a bit more luxorius and the service at Palms/Patois a bit better but it all depends what you are there for and what you are willing to pay. For us this was very close to a perfect vacation and for the first time, we are considering returning to the same destination/hotel - something we have never done before!

Room Tip: The cheapest category (garden verandah) is located close to a busy road so those sleeping lightly ma...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple