“Beyond our wildest dreams!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Couples Swept Away

Couples Swept Away
Ranked #15 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Omaha, Nebraska
“Beyond our wildest dreams!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

Being that this was our first trip to Jamaica, our first all-inclusive and our first all adult resort, I was very concerned about the money I was spending and if we were going to get the quality and amenities we expected. From the moment we passed immigration and stepped into the Couples lounge, I knew I didn't have to worry any longer. We enjoyed as much ice cold Red Stripe Light we wanted while we waited for the bus. The bus driver was a great tour guide. We learned so much about Jamaica and their culture. The landscape on the trip was beautiful!!

The resort was an absolute dream! I was so amazed! One thing I wanted more than anything before my trip was recommendations. So, here are mine...

1. If you are planning your trip and don't have dates yet, every year on October 7th the resort celebrates their anniversary. By accident, we happened to land on this event and we were just blown away! The entire resort transforms into an all out food and fun extravaganza! Don't miss it!

2. Don't miss the catamaran. They play live music and entertainment. They serve amazing mixed drinks, but its also a relaxing cruise with breathtaking views of the sunset.

3. Take advantage of the minibar. They'll stock it with most anything you want. All you need to do is request it. Then spend a quite night or afternoon on your patio with a cocktail.

4. Request a room away from the Palms. They rock all night and thank goodness we were just exhausted at the end of each day, but if you were looking for a quiet night, you won't get it there.

5. Book your reservation at Lemon Grass on talent show night. That is great fun to still on the balconey and dine while watching a fun, energentic show!

6. This is a great tip that I got from Trip Advisor. If you plan on enjoying relaxing days on the beach with an ice cold beverage, bring your own insulated mug/cup from home. Otherwise, your ice cold beverage will be luke warm within 20 minutes. We brought cups that came with hard plastic straws for the fruity drinks and they lasted until the last sip! Not only that, but the little cheap, plastic cups that they bar provides you with only holds half the amount of drink, which has you going back more often. Yes, they do have flag service, but you still have to wait a while. It's all that attentive.

7. Even though it was all-inclusive, I brought a few snacks/candy that I wanted to enduldge in for convenience sake. If you do this, put it all in the fridge. The humidity melted everything and I ended up tossing it within a day or two. Boo!

8. This should have been higher on the list, but I got excited with all the other suggestions. I would definitely attend the site tour at the beginning of your trip. We found out a lot of great things that helped us plan our stay accordingly.

Ok, well, that's all I can think of right now. If you've already decide on this resort, you won't be disappointed. If you haven't decided, what are you waiting for?! Book today. You won't regret it! Get ready to be swept away!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
13 Thank cybermom3

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,415)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Fort Gratiot, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

My wife and I along with two other couples visited Swept Away for a week arriving the afternoon of the Superbowl. The party for the game with big screen TV's on the beach gets more elaborate each year, unfortunately it started raining at half time and we had to move inside. The high standards at the resort remain entact, The food at Feather's and Patios were both outstanding. On the downside the repeat guest dinner was a disorganized mess. The small portions of food were delicious but took forever to be served. At the cocktail party before you were out of luck if you didn't want the champagne or wine. It seems the event has gotten too large and out of control for them. It is also disappointing that you can't get a quick breakfast at Patios. They seem insistant on going thru the scripted routine even when you tell them you would like a quick bite and head to the beach. Overall we remain very pleased after visting many times over the years and will certainly be back. The staff is what makes this place!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank doug a
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

If you are a beach person, this is the place for you! One of the best, if not THE best beach I have been to. I am a travel agent and love visiting the different all-inclusives and this is one of the few I would return to.

I will start at the beginning:

Couples Lounge at Airport - great! They were very welcoming and accommodating with drinks. A very nice way to start your trip.

Bus ride to resort - took a good 90 minutes but our bus driver was great. "Bud" gave us a tour and answered our questions about Jamaica. Take this time to learn about the culture and the people of Jamaica. I told everyone in my group to "take it all In" and enjoy the experience, which we really did!

Check in - greeted with champagne and cool towels. Check in was very quick and service was friendly. I did not like that they need a credit card and hold $300 on it, however. You should make your dinner reservations ASAP. There are only 2 restaurants that require reservations and it is near impossible to get. Ask your travel agent to arrange one dinner prior to your trip.

Rooms - my group was booked in Great House Verandah suites (not Jacuzzi suites). These rooms all have "partial ocean views" so we were excited about that. Of course, my room, the travel agent of the group, was the worst! We were placed in the back of the building with a view of an old house or something next to us. We could see the ocean if we went out on the balcony and looked way to the right. The room was loud! We were directly over the Palms restaurant and it sounded like someone was dropping trays of dishes every half an hour until midnight and it started again at 5 AM! I packed up and went to the lobby the first morning and they had absolutely no problem moving us. We ended up in 5106 which had a great view, but did smell musty. We didn't care, we don't spend too much time there. Our friends on the second floor had a full ocean view.. I think they were 5215. The rooms were old and outdated but the views were worth it. The beds were very comfortable and the maid service was great. Do not think you will have a beautiful room, but don't worry, you will NOT spend much time there due to the beautiful beach! One complaint from my group what that for some reason the light switch to the bathroom was outside of the bathroom.

Beach: By far one of the best beaches in the Caribbean. Sand was beautiful, water was extremely calm and bright blue - that beautiful blue you look for when you go to the Caribbean. Also, there were no shells, seaweed etc in the water! Couples provided you with plenty of floats on the beach chairs so you could spend all day floating in that water! You do have to get up and save beach chairs by 7 AM, especially if you have a large group. Luckily, we have some early risers that took care of it for us.

Pool Bar - loved it. The big pool was clean and big, but the water was cold. Swim up bar was a hoot and the bartenders were great! We spent a lot of time there each day and bonded with the bartenders.

Locals - loved the locals. You are going to Jamaica. Take the time to talk to them and learn from them! We loved one of the local guitar players. He played for us 3 out of our 5 days there! he was great!!! He was very respectful of the security and guests and he had some great raegae songs! We had some musicians in our group and they bought his CD!

Other things to do: I love beaches and all inclusives, but I get rammy. I need to get out a couple of days and do other things. What was nice about CSA is that it is very close to Margaritaville. We walked down the beach several times and there are restaurants and shops all down the beach. Margaritaville was a blast. We all swam out to the trampoline one day and jumped. Now we are all in our 40's acting like kids - isn't that what an adult vacation is about? Keep in mind it is quite a swim out there.. make sure you are a strong swimmer (and sober!) LOL

The snorkeling was some of the best we have ever seen. My husband is a former scuba diver and loves snorkeling. Our friends call him "Scuba Steve". He was so impressed he wanted to snorkel every day. We saw 100s of fish, a small sting ray and a turtle swam right by us! so awesome!

Ricks Cafe - worth the ride. We paid $15 per person round trip for a quick bus ride to Rick's to see the sunset and the divers. Hubby jumped from the cliff. Great time and a must do in Negril.

Check out: they do not check your flight status for you. You have to be sure when you check in that you give flight # and TIME of your flight so they can set up a bus for you! DO NOT LEAVE ON A SATURDAY!!! it was so crowded at the resort, but they handled it fine. Had plenty of buses ready, but the AIRPORT was a NIGHTMARE! Took us about an hour to get through security, which cut down our Margaritaville time. Margaritaville at the Montego Bay airport is the best way to end your Jamaica trip!

One thing that was a bit annoying that I have not experienced in Jamaica previously was the overwhelming smell of pot every day, all day! We couldn't determine if it was the staff or guests, but it was prevalent each day.

Jamaica tip: Don't go to Jamaica unless you are staying in Negril!!!

Room Tip: Great House Verandah Suites are a great value with a bonus view!!
6 Thank NJGROUP
Winnipeg,Manitoba
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

My husband and I, along with another family couple..all in our 50's have just returned from a very relaxing week at CSW. Our flight landed at 4:30 pm to rainy skies in Montego Bay and if we had known the bus ride to the resort would be a 2-hour trek d/t the rain, the dark and slow traffic at that time of day, we all agree we would have taken the 15 minute TimAir flight to Negril Airport for $100.00 each. The bus back to the airport was a breeze..beautiful weather,scenery, no traffic..took less than 90 minutes.
The check-in was quick and the staff at the front desk were pleasant and helpful all week. The resort is anchored to the north and south with pools,shops and restaurants, with 3 rows of guest housing between. The rooms are mostly similar and we were happy with our ocean-view veranda location. The room smelled musty initially, but the maids bleached the next day and it was much improved.No outside noises were heard. The furnishings are basically comfortable, good linen and pillows , but some of the old mini fridges should be replaced as the shelves are not reliable.
The food ,entertainment , drinks, beach and service were impeccable.Make your reservations as soon as possible as the a la carte restaurants book up quickly.
Go and enjoy..we sure did !!

Room Tip: the suites in the Great House looked fantastic
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank ghengus
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

We went to CSA in July 2011 for our honeymoon and had a fabulous time. We loved that the rooms were not hotel-style, the service was impeccable, the food was great, and the beach is gorgeous.

When we arrived in Montego Bay, we had no problems finding the couples lounge, where we had a beer (complimentary). We were there no more than 10 minutes before our driver let us know we were ready to depart. The drive was less than an hour and a half. Once we arrived at the resort, check-in was very smooth and fairly quick.

Once they took us to our room, we were not happy with it (it was in the older section) so we requested a room in the newer section (they have recently renovated), and they immediately took us another room. We were in a Garden view verandah suite, but we could see the beach/ocean very clearly. We were very happy with this room. House keeping did an awesome job at cleaning the rooms, and adding nice touches like flower petals on the bed.

Because we were on our honeymoon, we got 30 min complimentary massages. The massages were ok, but the hot tub you get to soak in before was amazing!

The beach is absolutely gorgeous, and we never had an issue finding a lounge chair no matter what time we went. If you want a covered hut though, you may need to get up a little earlier. There are green flags that you can put up while lying on the beach, and they will bring you drinks - that was a very nice touch.

The food is excellent at most restaurants. Lemongrass was our favourite. Patois patio had the best breakfast and lunch. Feathers was good as well - the appetizer and dessert was delicious, and my husband loved his meal, however the vegetarian main course was not very appetizing at all. The breakfast buffet is mediocre, but it is good for dinner (on Mondays)

The night life is not that great so if you're looking for a party resort - this is not it. There is some sort of entertainment each night - some of it was great - steel bands, african dancers etc - others were just ok.

One negative is the sand flies. There were TONS on the beach at night - no matter how much you sprayed. The other con was the room service continental breakfast. We ordered it once, and it was not appetizing at all. The breakfast at patois patio was delicious, so we went there the rest of the days. It also rained almost every day - but it would only be for 1 hour maximum in the afternoon, at which time we would go eat lunch or take a nap! The rain was a nice relief from the heat, as it would cool down before and after it rained, so we actually liked the rain.

Many people complained of noise from the road - we were not too far from the road but noise was never an issue for us.

Check out was pretty smooth as well - they were very clear with that procedure.

Overall we had a great experience at CSA and we will definitely be returning!

Room Tip: Definitely get a room in the newer section!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank pawarney
Kent, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2012

We returned to CSA for our 3rd visit on 24 January.
We had a great time with a couple of negs, I will review in the traditional style...
Airport
We were an hour late into Mobay but once we got to the welcome sight of the lounge we had a very quick Red Stripe & we were on our way.
The Transfer
Was quick (about 80 mins) no stops, so then came the welcome sight of CSA cool towels & bubbly, not to mention the sound of CSA.
Check In
Straight forward, we had pre checked in & all our goodies were waiting! Within 5 mins we were on our way to our Atrium room. We tend to arrive late so we usually eat at the grill and have a couple of drinks, we did not break with tradition!
The Room
Atrium 2116 was excellent, the mini-bar was stocked as requested and was very comfortable – no TV so what! The bathroom was great although the shower took a while to warm up. We have never seen so many towels! The room was always kept clean usually in the morning.
The Beach
We had heard the beach was smaller than before, we were last at CSA in 2010, the beach was a different “shape” but was in tip top condition. Then we hit negative #1 – Sunbeds! We had to be up by 7 to be sure to secure sunbeds with floaties. After 8 it was difficult and one day when we went snorkelling we simply could not get a bed. This is not good enough! A relaxing holiday should not need to include sun bed bagging early in the morning. I did raise this with Senior Management and was assured more were on order, but frankly the numbers of guests should not be a shock. To be fair it was slightly better in our second week. I am sure it is partly a “people thing” & I am not sure what the solution is but it was an irritant to many guests.
We had read that service had declined, this simply is not true. Service in terms of friendliness & speed has improved on our last visit in all areas. A big thumbs up there.... The only poor service we received was at....the repeaters dinner (more of that later).
We eat everywhere:-
Feathers – excellent, tenderloin was our favourite
Palms – Never our favourite in the past, but in 2012 it was very good & again the service which we never used to rate has improved.
Patois – Very good, the Eggs Benedict & Banana stuffed French toast remain favourites. A welcome change was leaving coffee jugs on the table at breakfast.
Cabana Grill – good for fast food! We never realised how tasty the burgers were! Loved the Jerk too. Again service seemed to have speeded up.
Lemongrass – Very good, service was friendly, they did a great job with lobster!
Drinks
Mini Bar – Stocked as requested – we drank more water than anything else! I wish they would give Red Stripe rather than Carib!
Martini Bar – superb a great place to meet and have a glass or two. Excellent Mojitos!
Sunset Bar – quick service good drinks – don’t know why but I prefer it to the bamboo bar.
Bamboo Bar – As above but slightly prefer the sunset bar.
Palms Bar – rarely used it.
Swim Up Bar – Friendly but very often a gathering place for CSA drunks!
Patois Bar – rarely used but good drinks.
Other facilities
Sports complex – relaxing place to go – only played squash one (badly!)
Snorkelling – great way to spend an hour!
Palms show time – only stayed for the show once but we ended up dancing! Very good
Superbowl – Even pouring rain could not prevent it being fun, the way everything was moved inside so quickly was a credit to the entertainment team (even senior management were seen moving tables!).
Aura Lounge – The Piano bar was our entertainment of choice! Ultimate Chocolate remains a great entertainer who can manage a crowd & involve everyone. He is a gentleman and now a friend & boy can he play the piano – CSA let him go at your peril!!!
Repeaters Dinner – was a major disappointment, the food was good but the service was so slow. We went on our first Monday and our table were the last to be served - we were still seated at 10:30. This is where Couples are a victim of their own success; there were just too many repeaters to make the dinner an event. Service was over two sittings and it seemed that they couldn’t cope. Notably the following Monday Feathers was closed (presumably to help with repeaters) which left non-repeaters which a choice of Lemongrass or a buffet – a limited choice. Maybe something else can be organised – a proper Champagne reception? Repeaters dinners on more than one night?...let the debate begin!
To sum up a great stay, improved service & food...please sort out Sun Beds & Repeaters.

Room Tip: Atrium Rooms are worth booking
8 Thank kenao
cornwall
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2012

Chose this resort after alot of research and thought it would be as good as the reveiws!!
After one and a half hours journey from the airport in Couples transport,our first impression of the hotel was not good.The lobby was very uninviting and dark,check in was slow. The first thing they asked you was for your credit card,we do not have one so this was a problem they than asked for cash 300 American,we did not give this as it was our spending money good start!
Our room was next to the road and yes it is loud sometimes it sounded like they were in the room with you but it was quite though the night so it did not keep us awake.
The room was nice but the furniture was dated and grubby not that clean.
The beach was lovley but you had to get up early to get a ,seat as they were all gone by nine oclock,people were putting towles on then going tenis and not comming back for hours.
Green flag service was a joke if you were lucky to get one!better to get it your self then waiting for ever.
The swimming pools were very small very disappointing, and not very clean stayed on the beach the whole time we were there.The pool bar was often taken over by large groups which became very loud just like other excited childern.
Food was very good service was hit or miss,Lemongrass was best for food and service.
Entertainment was shocking, on thursdays it was repeat quest and staff doing the entertainment say no more!!
Mondays the Patois is closed so that the return quest can have a special meal just for them.
After our first week we could see how rundown this hotel is in appearance and the staff are in their own comfort zone doing what they like mainly sleeping !!Nobody around to get them cleaning ect.
The hotel feels like a time share as it has so many returners you feel like your inpossing on there holiday.
The hotel and location is lovley but it needs a reburbishment to bring it up to date,bring it back to life,but i dont think the returners would like the change!!!!
Just to say if your from England the rep for this hotel is useless,does not keep any new imformation in her book and on the day you go home you are left on your own and told by the hotel to look on line to see if your flight is on time or not because shes not there.

10 Thank CornwallBurrows
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
4.5 km away
Couples Sans Souci
Couples Sans Souci
#4 of 36 in Ocho Rios
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,749 reviews

Been to Couples Swept Away? Share your experiences!