“Second trip just as good as first”
Review of Couples Swept Away

Couples Swept Away
Ranked #13 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 27 February 2012

We went to Couples Swept Away for the second time and fell in love all over again. This time we took another couple with us and they fell in love along with us. First trip we had a great room with a partial ocean view and this time we had a garden room. It doesn't matter which room your in, because they are all beautiful. We loved our patio in the gardens.
There is so much to do and see that is included with your stay. They have a sunset cruise (a must do...amazing!), snorkelling, a glass bottom boat, trips to Margaritaville, Negril and Rick's Cafe. We walked to Margaritaville, as it is only about a five minute walk on the beautiful beach.
If you love the ocean, then this is your resort. It is the most beautiful beach we have ever been on, and one of the reasons we will keep going back. Each chair has a floatie on the back and we had a great time with them one day we had waves in the ocean. The sunsets are spectacular!
The staff are all very friendly and outgoing. One of the staff went by our room every morning, going back and forth many times delivering continental breakfasts (included) to other rooms and asked us our names, so she could say good morning to us since we were always out on our patio having coffee. Very friendly people. and very upbeat.
Our return dinner was amazing and meeting the manager at champagne and cocktails before was awesome. He tried to talk to everyone there, and we felt privileged when he stopped to ask us how our trip was and if there was anything he could do for us.
My husband is a picky eater, but had no problem finding something to eat for every meal. I loved it all. Breakfast is amazing at the buffet, and we enjoyed Feathers again this year. The other couple with us went to Lemon Grass and loved it. They also have a vegetarian bar with sushi and sandwiches. The snack bar by the swim-up pool has amazing jerk chicken among other snacks. Delicious for a quick lunch or a late snack.
We had fun at all the bars, the beach bars, the swim-up bar, and the piano bar.
Across the street, they have a spa, work-out centre and serve delicious smoothies at the bar there.
Our one complaint and it's extremely minor, is the toaster in the buffet for breakfast. They definitely need a new one (or two). It only toasted one side at a time and burnt it the second time through. Like I said, very very minor. When people complain about the prices of sunscreen? or the price of photos? free alcohol in the room fridge? Wow! We had no trouble with finding a chair on the beach at any time of day, we took our own sunscreen, we ordered a calendar of sunset pictures for $60 dollars (our choice, a fantastic deal, we think) and enjoyed the ice cold beer and spirits now available in each and every room. This is an added bonus from our last trip. We are Canadians, not Americans and they treated us and whomever we met with nothing but respect, and we noticed no favoritism toward any one group or nationality. AND we tip simply because the service is just that good! We are also in recession, like everyone else, but do not expect the islands to compensate for our economy.
We absolutely love everything about this resort and intend to return next year for our 15th Anniversary. Can't wait!

Room Tip: All rooms are amazing and private.
16  Thank Patti A

Reviewed 26 February 2012

From the moment you arrive in Jamaica, everything is taken care of for you. The Couples lounge at Montego Bay airport is well staffed and clean. They offer you drinks in a private waiting area. After about 30 minutes everyone got onto an air conditioned bus for the 1&1/2 hour ride to the resort. We were met by a few "bellhops", watch as they unloaded our luggage and checked in. The first this you notice is everyone smiling and taking it easy. That took some getting used to coming from NY but you quickly get into the same mindset. Check in was definitly slow but fine. The bellhop walked us to our room and brought our bags up the stairs. I would definitly request a 2nd or 3rd floor room for privacy. We had a gorgeous beach view room that was amazing. Large verandah right on the beach. Worth the upgrade! The food was amazing. Not a fan of breakfast room service or dinner/lunch buffets (However our friends used it everyday). Feathers was the best restaurant but Lenongrass had the best ambiance. Patois Patio has amazing breakfasts. We ate at Seagrapes vegetarian for lunch on the beach. Best entertainment was Ultimate at the Piano Bar. You can sing and drink while sitting around a piano. Lots of fun. The spa and tennis facilities were fantastic. Free private 1/2 hr lessons each day and round robins and clinics M-F. I didn't use it but they offer free golf as well. Catamaran was fun but a little hokey. Last comment - it is an all inclusive resort and no tipping allowed HOWEVER, bring money to tip the bus driver, the massage therapist, and for anyone who does you a solid. You'll know what I mean when you get there. Have fun and relax "Mon"

• Stayed: February 2012
5  Thank Havingagoodtimeyet
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Plus points very clean and a good service level throughout our stay. A fab location great sport activities including water sports and scuba diving. I completed my Padi open water with Anthony and his team. This was an extra cost but compared to UK prices it was cheaper. If you are already qualified it's free to dive. The restaurants offered different food which was always to a high standard. Drinks were all free bar none house wines. The maid service was good and the rooms were cleaned daily with fresh towels. No beach towels required. Also basic toiletries are supplied in all rooms.
Negative points - This is not a totally inclusive hotel and you will need plenty of American dollars or should I say plenty of room on the credit card to pay the inflated prices for the extra services supplied on site. Everything sold is sold at a premium rate. I.e. sun cream $5 (US) more than down town GP call out $150 (US) (daytime). Prescription drugs from Hotel $165(US) but same drugs bought via prescription $53(US) local pharmacy. The GP service is a private enterprise. Don't be conned. The resort have photographers that take photos during your visit but expect to pay silly amounts for the digital images. They wanted $66 (US) for 4 printed photos. Everything sold is a premuim price. They seem to think everyone is rich but they would make more money if they got there pricing right. There are 6 restaurants to choose to eat in but the 2 al a carte resturants Lemongrass and Feathers require booking in advance at the hotel reception. Also the service levels were not better but actually worse than the main restaurants which was rather surprising. The bench seating in feathers is also terrible they have had to put booster cushions on the seating but I felt like a child sitting at the table as my chin was nearly touching the table. It's meant to be a hotel for couples but large groups of Americans spoil both the beach areas and the restaurants when you can hear their drivel 3 tables away. Getting a sun lounger with a foam cushion requires a early morning stroll to the beach with said beech towels before 8am to secure
a reasonable lounger and foam cover. The Americans still tip the beach bar staff despite it being a cashless resort. This in turn means they get favoured by the staff at that bar. The hotel cater for Americans more than any other nationals. Please don't get me wrong We a had a great holiday but you need to be aware of this before booking. We had a valentines dinner on the beach which just fab but extra pricey. (cost rose to $250(US) from normal price of $170). The valentines gifts were over priced and the champagne was actually sparkling wine. The hotel only use 2 white and 2 red as house wines. They are just palatable but anything decent on the wine list is expensive. The beer in the room fridge is local and not great but red stripe and miller ligght are available at the bars. Most cocktails use local spirits but
premium brands are available on request. The main question would I go back ? Yes but I would like to try out some other places too. I got the feeling that the management were quite happy charging through the roof for the extra goods and services and maybe a little complacent Do they not realise there is a recession going on?

• Stayed: February 2012
7  Thank Swift_ee_uk
Reviewed 25 February 2012

My husband and I stayed here 10th-17th Feb with another couple their second time, our first.
The resort is lovely, palm trees everywhere. And on a beautiful stretch of 7 mile beach.
Included in the trip is a sunset catamaran cruise, this is a must do! They take you out around 4pm, all the way down to Rick's Cafe. On the way back they stop so you can swim through some caves. My girlfriend and I did this, it was lots of fun.And the sunset that night was awesome!
There is a good variety of food at different restaurants. My Husbands only complaint with this resort, and it is minor. They only have one toaster at the breakfast buffet, and it only toasts one side at a time.Didn't bother me I did not have toast.In the room you can order a continental breakfast for the next morning, it includes cereal, basket of pastries, coffee, juice etc.
We did this every morning and it was very nice, also had champagne and orange juice.
You also have a mini bar in the room, you get to pick what you want in it.
We are Sandals resorts regulars, and have been to 7 properties so far. The difference between the resorts is this.
What you pay extra for at CSA is the rooms, closer to the beach, bigger veranda. There are no butlers reserving the best chairs. The rooms are pretty basic compared to Sandals, but the bed was just as nice, with good quality sheets.
We will return to CSA probably next Feb. It certainly gives Sandals a run for their money.
But having been to Sandals 7 times we are close to our free trip, so will probably keep going until then.
CSA gives you resort credits, as a return guest. They also give you T shirts and a return guest dinner.
So if you are trying to decide on a resort I would give CSA a try.

6  Thank SunSeekersWoodstock
Reviewed 24 February 2012

What a fabulous place to unwind. We stayed for a week in February before transferring to another Couples hotel for a second week. The attraction of this hotel was the long sandy beach on which the hotel has a wide frontage, with a good choice of different restraurants to eat in. Restaurants varied in cusine, ambiance and taste. Resort layout is excellent, with no rooms too far from the beach and with dining options at each end of the property rather than mixed in among the rooms.
Palms restaurant is very good, mainly buffet or cooked while you wait, but still excellent quality. This restaurant also featured the main entertainment stage so after you have eaten you can stay at your table for the show which starts at 9:15 most evenings. Upstairs from the Palms is the Martini Bar and the Lemon Grass Thai restaurant, both equally worth the visit. Great variety of Martini cocktails to suite all tastes and the Thai restuarant features outside dining or mezzanine dining overlooking the entertainment stage. All this is at the North end of the resort and is where we mainly went for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Only real defiiciency at this end of the resort was the lack of a separate bar to sit in for evening drinks.
At the south end of the resort is the Patois patio restaurant which is nosiy and echoes a lot and was table service only for breakfast and dinner, not such a good option in my view and we avoided it. Behind this is the Feathers restaurant with good food, but no ambiance at all. Might just as well have been sitting in a doctors waiting room. Feathers could do with more interesting decor and some background music. Upstairs in this complex is the casino (for those interested in throwing money away) and the night club / piano bar for those who want to party late.
Other food and drink options along the beach provided easy options for fast food or healthy food (your choice) with the fast food venue seeming open until the last person leaves. For those with no resitance to temptation try to avoid the help your self ice cream dispenser at the beach bar and the Red Stribe serve your self beer tap at the healthfood bar.
If you want to eat at either of the reservations only restaurants, get your bookings in early to get best choice of times and tables.
Across the road was an excellent sport complex with it own bar, spa, gym, pool, etc. On the subject of the Spa, the prices are silly prices, if they reduced them by half I am sure they would be busy. But most of the time the spa staff seemed to have little to do.
Beach facilities were excellent although in a whole week we were unable to go night snorkelling because of lack of enough people or the feablest of excuses that the boat needed repair - this was the one disappointment in the week. This resort had more than one boat and a sister resort just up the coast. Hard to believe they could not find a boat to take six people out night snorkelling. Don't miss the the sunset cruise (although it gets back before sunset - so just think of it as a booze cruise). Best place to sit in my view is on the trampoline web at the front rather than squeezing down in the seating at the back.
Not too much else to do off the beach although we did a trip to Ricks' cafe for the cliff diving just to say that we had been out of the resort other than walking along the beach.

Room Tip: Garden verandah rooms which are adjacent to the road might be considered noisy by some, but after fi...
6  Thank Rhys P
Reviewed 23 February 2012

Recently returned from Couples Swept Away and am very happy. I spent a lot of time reading reviews before we left as you obviously are. Here were my top concerns based on the reviews:

Road Noise: Meh. I agree with the reviewers who said you can hear it, but only off in the distance and it's more like a din than anything else. The odd car will wail by with bass booming and people seem to honk a lot as it's kind of around a bend. Like us, you'll probably go there and listen ever so intently for road noise. Our Garden View Veranda room was in a block of rooms that was not adjacent to the road so I'm sure that helped. If you can - ask for a room in this block. Ours was #409 and it was outstanding.

Bugs: I literally did not get a bite; no mosquitoes, no sand fleas. My girlfriend did get a number of bites on Valentine's as we had dinner on the beach and she did not use any bug spray, but there were no bugs to be found during the day or essentially anywhere at night. I didn't see so much as a fruit fly during the day.

Obnoxious Travellers: None. We weren't there to make friends (it was more of a romantic getaway) but the people we spoke to and saw repeatedly were very nice. It's a mellow place and all age groups seemed to be represented (20s through 60s) and all were having a good time. No loud, obnoxious people. Nobody seemed to have had 'too much to drink', it was great.

Here's the stuff I did like:

Rooms: Again, ours was a Garden View Veranda room and while we had requested 'away from the road' we were put in a block of rooms that was not adjacent to the road. You could barely hear the road noise. Because there was a good air conditioner in the room we kept the shutters closed at night and that essentially killed any outside noise. The shutters wouldn't stay closed on the first night so we reported it and they came and fixed it while we were at dinner, then not a problem. The rooms are not five star. I'm not complaining, but don't expect the Ritz Carlton. To be fair - they were spotlessly clean and perfectly functional, but not at all luxurious and not exactly 5-Star. It's not a complaint - but know what you're getting into. The bed was big, clean and comfortable. The water pressure was weak but we had lots of hot water. Our neghbours mentioned they had had neither but we were fine.

Food: Best by far is the room service breakfast (only). Except they missed us two days in a row. But having breakfast on the veranda overlooking the gorgeous bamboo (see my pic) was incredible. Good food, good variety overall. Seagrapes is mentioned often in reviews and for good reason. Healthy options, well-located between beach and pool and all around great snacks. Down at the other end was the grill by the swim-up bar. The patties truly were amazing as was the jerk chicken. Great place for lunch or an afternoon snack should you find yourself with 'the munchies'. Open late, too. Swim-up bar was a novelty, but to be fair the few times we were nearby the folks sitting there looked miserable and there was an odd odour of either rotten fruit or something (that persisted in the evening when that bar was closed). It was kind of nasty but we weren't interested in sitting around a bar for any length of time during the day. The grill is enough steps away that it was still a good place to visit. Feathers was good, but nothing spectacular. As their 'best' restaurant we were underimpressed. No real complaints - it was tasty, the lamb was good as was the lobster tail (Saturday night). But - everything seemed to be the same lukewarm temperature. The salad, the meat, it was all just 'warm'. Patois Patio was really good for any meal. Cool vibe around the bar at night, too. Nice breeze coming off the ocean. Lemongrass was pretty good, Thai-inspired cuisine. The menus and dishes read/sound better than they come out. Great location overlooking the dancefloor/entertainment area of the Palms. Also on this second floor was the Martini Bar where they seemed to 'hide' some of the better booze. Good Bombay Saphire gin up here (I couldn't get anywhere else)! Downstairs is the Palms - buffet most of the time, breakfast, lunch and dinner. It was great for breakfast. We didn't actually eat dinner here, but we hung around for nightly entertainment a few times. Which brings me to...

Entertainment: It was great! I was so ready to be disappointed with amateur talent but the bands, singers, dancers were really good. The music was amazing and very enjoyable.

Beach: Gorgeous white sand, even better warm, crystal blue water. We walked in both directions along 7-mile beach and maybe we were biased but CSA has the best stretch of beach by a longshot. It was clean (cleaned/raked every night) and it was the deepest beachfront. There was a visible security presence all day along the property and they did an excellent job of keeping the various vendors moving along. However - the vendors were very cool and very polite. A simple 'no thanks' or a wave was sufficient to send them on their way. No hassles from anyone, though you start to recognize some after a few days and they just wave and say hi.

The Water Sports were great - Scuba was incredible! The snorkelling trip was amazing too and I only wish we had done it more often. We went sailing on the great Hobie Cats, I waterskied. Just floating around in the gorgeous warm water was amazing too. They have a roped-off area for swimming where motorized vehicles aren't allowed, so that was good too. There was a shortage of towels in the morning (at the WS shack) which seemed crazy. Protip: Get towels and hold on. In the afternoon or whenever you're calling it a day, go exchange your towels for fresh ones and take them back to your room. That way you'll have clean towels for the next morning and can repeat. We never had trouble getting chairs, even as late as 10 am. As far as shade - I didn't try. You will see towels on all the hammocks and a lot of the chairs, even if you're super early. Not sure how that happens or at what time, but if it matters to you - get up early.

Overall a great time. The only reason I didn't rate it as excellent is because it is expensive - and not really 5-Star. The property is showing its age a bit. Not really a complaint - it was spotless. There were a lot of staff around always cleaning, landscaping and very friendly. The people really were great and very helpful. There are various spots around the buildings that could use a coat of paint or general refresh. For a 5-star rating and the money this stuff should be handled. The bottom line is this: a fantastic getaway as a couple, outstanding beach/water/location and amazing staff. Ignore the haters on here - it's worth the trip and I would totally consider going back, mon.

14  Thank sal139
Reviewed 23 February 2012

We were at Couples Swept Away February 1-8th 2012 for our Honeymoon, and both my husband and I would give it rave reviews!
We researched a lot of 5-star resorts for our honeymoon as we wanted it to be a special trip, and so we did spend more on this vacation than we maybe otherwise would have, but it was worth it. My husband's priorities were good food and a beautiful beach (as his only other tropical vacation was lacking in these areas). The beach was the fantastic, and the water so warm and clear! I would easily come back to 7 mile beach in Negril in a heartbeat.

The food was nothing short of amazing, as we had read in many of the reviews. We had breakfast at the Palm's buffet most mornings (as this was closest to our rooms) and we had nothing to complain about there, plenty of selection and the made-to-order omelettes were great. We sat out on the pool deck most breakfasts. We had breakfast at Patois also, but it was a bit more of a wait and we really wanted to hit the beach as quickly in the morning as we could.
Lunch at Seagrapes were some of our favorite meals, and you sit almost right on the beach. We had the sweet potato chips at least once every day, and we are still thinking about how good the fish tacos were!
Supper at Lemongrass was by far the best, we went twice on our 7 day trip (not sure what all the talk about having a hard time booking supper at Lemongrass and Feathers is about...we booked suppers same-day two days...not a problem at all...my advice is actually be KIND and PATIENT at the concierge desk and they will look after you and remember you by name and do anything for you! I can`t say enough about how a bit of kindness goes a long way with staff at the resort...if you are demanding and rude, you will be treated as such)
Feathers was the only dissapointment...but we had a 9pm reservation, which we had to be late to due to a tropical rainstorm that caught us on the other side of the resort! The food was cold for some courses and my stuffed chicken breast was very dry. I would have liked to try it again but did not want to risk missing a delcious meal at another restaurant in case it wasn`t good again.

The drinks at the resort were top notch and varied in selection. The mojito`s were amazing! I wouldn`t worry too much about bringing your own mug...the cups were large enough for a good sized drink and then you don`t have to lug around a mug all day.

We didn`t do too many activities but really enjoyed the ones we did. The glass bottom boat tour was pretty good, and it was short so it was a good tour of the rest of 7 mile beach without taking up too much time. The catamaran cruise is a must...so much fun but be careful the rum punch is dangerously good! Also learn how to sail the Hobie Cat`s (4 person catamaran) so much fun!

For shopping, we just walked down the beach...there is one shop attached to a resaturant (about the 3rd shop over) with steps that meet the ocean...the store owner there is great, he openly says he will not haggle or barter, because he prices his items at what most other shops will go down to or lower, and we found this to be true! We loved the pressure-free non-harrasing shopping experience. I wish I could remember the shop owner`s name.

The weather, the clouds seemed to roll in every day about 4pm so we just made sure we were at the beach during the morning to make the most of our time. It did rain a little more than usual seasonal rain, but we just made use of the various hottubs and sat out in the rain, it was actually kinda nice!

We stayed in the base level rooms, near to the road but on the second floor. Vaulted ceilings were awesome, balcony was very private. Road noise was there as it other reviews but we slept very well regardless after a long day on the beach! We spent the entire day away from our room every day anyways, so we did not really care that we could not see the ocean. It was a 1 minute walk away to the beach anyway!

Overall, the only complaints I had were Feather`s being a bit of a dissapointment, and we also found that being a young couple who were on our honeymoon, the Couple`s Photographers asked us about every 10 minutes if they could take pictures of us (which you can then view and buy) which was a little annoying.

We LOVED the food, the staff was great, the resort was clean and beautiful and the beach was fantastic!
We see why people seem to go back to this resort over and over again. I can definitely see going back again, but I think we`ll see a little more of the world first. But I`d recommend this resort for sure!

4  Thank PalmtreeVacation