“Excellent Choice”

Ranked #14 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Brantford, Canada
“Excellent Choice”
Reviewed 10 March 2012

You really cannot go wrong at this resort. Beautiful beach, no room is bad. Great service, something for everyone. If you leave this resort disappointed it will be your own fault. The only negative I have is our room was not ready till 3.30 which they tell you. We arrived at noon and had to wait. Food was excellent, many choices. Lobster was the best on Saturdays!

2 Thank beachlover850

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,438)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Seattle, WA

Couples Swept Away 2/18-2/25

Long review but when I was planning our trip, I spent hours and hours reading reviews of hotels and messages on boards, so I thought I should reciprocate. Background - hubby 53 yo, me 49 traveled mostly through US, Mexico, and cruise in the Caribbean. This was our first trip to Couples and Jamaica. We were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary and my upcoming 50th b-day.

Flight out of Seattle - redeye on US Airlines thru Charlotte, into Mobay by 10:45 am. Customs was a breeze, walked right through and into the Couples lounge. Checked in, got a Pepsi (just too early to try a Red Stripe), and we were off to the shuttle within 20 minutes. The shuttle driver (I think was Andre?) asked if anyone wanted to stop but no one was interested so trip was a little over a hour (no traffic on Saturday). Andre was an excellent tour guide who gave great info along the way and was very proud of his country.

Pulled into Couples and a cold cloth and glass of Champaign was waiting for us. Front desk staff was busy but polite when telling us our rooms wouldn’t be ready until 3:00. No problem. I packed my bathing suit on top in my bag and just pulled it out, got a locker at the fitness center to store my stuff, then hubby and I went to find food and explore. Back to front desk a little after 2:00, no room yet. No problem – off to explore the fitness center. Used the pool walked around, back to front desk at 3:00. Room still not ready but they said they can give me a different one. Unfortunately it was right next to Seagrapes and Palms, which is actually a great location if you’re young and want to stay up late. Not us! Called the front desk and asked if we could switch rooms. Nothing available until the next day. Next day moved to another Atrium suite, 2nd floor (2216). Very nice, loved the room and hammock, but I found I really couldn’t block out the tree frog noise and road noise. I ended up buying ear plugs from the gift shop and problem solved. We didn't miss the tv in our room. Housekeeping (Nadine) did an outstanding job of keeping our room clean, towels were plentiful, and lovely towel art on the bed every day. Wet bar and turn down service was very nice. Overall impression of room and service was excellent! Hubby and I LOVED the breakfast delivered to your door every morning. Coffee, juice, yogurt, and croissants was just enough to get us going through a morning workout or walk on the beach.

Restaurants – We tried all of them and did the private beach dinner. Our first night lobster dinner at the Palms was outstanding. Other times at Palms was hit or miss but we always found things we enjoyed and there was always plenty to choose from. We seemed to eat there more than Patois mainly due to timing (Patios is a little more limited in hours they serve). Patios was very nice, especially for breakfast. We enjoyed Feather’s menu more than Lemongrass but Lemongrass has the better ambiance by far, although Feather’s has air conditioning! One of my favorite dishes was the grilled snapper sandwich on cocobread at SeaGrapes, and the sweet potato chips. Hubby loved the self serve ice cream too. Service in all the restaurants at all times was excellent. Coffee at breakfast and wine at dinner were always refilled quickly. I also drink a lot of water and never had a problem with refills. Make sure to sign up for Feather’s and Lemongrass ahead of time (3 days in advance is earliest). The private beach dinner was one of the highlights of our trip. Samantha, our server, did an amazing job of decorating our table and taking care of us. The only weird thing was when a few people (locals?) strolled by our table and kind of slowed down like they wanted to see what was on our table. I’m not sure if it was a security guard coming towards them or someone else but they quickly moved off after slowing down. I had the beef tenderloin dinner and hubby had lobster. Both were great, but my beef tenderloin was one of the best I’ve ever had. The chef came out to chat with each table which was a nice touch.

Activities – there is SO much to do at CSA or very little if that’s your preference. We tried a lot of things and still had time to do nothing. The fitness center is top notch and tennis courts are well cared for! I’m not a tennis player but hubby wanted to try a lesson (they’re included). I decided to give it a shot. I had such a great time I signed up to do it again the next day. It’s hard to beat a private one-on-one lesson with a pro! Narsan (sp?) was extremely patient and had me volleying the ball and feeling more confident after one lesson. We played golf (9 holes) which turned into 8 because it was a busy day/slow play and it was HOT. We decided to cut out the last hole and grab the shuttle back to the resort instead of waiting for them to come back for us. We snorkeled, did sea kayaks, and strolled the amazing beach. Hubby wanted to try the hobie cats but we never found the time to take the required lesson. The entertainment staff, Duwayne (aka Skippy), Jodi, Andre, and Omar are extremely hard working folks who are very sweet and fun to chat with if you get the chance. I had the pleasure of doing bead jewelry with Jodi and Andre, and then had the whole crew together towards the end of the week for Jamaica Day (kind of a round robin of activities). Hubby and I weaved a basket which was a lot of fun and relaxing. Doing the resort activities was a great chance to talk to the instructors and your fellow guests. I met a lot of truly wonderful folks from all around the US, Canada, and England. Look for the posted activities on the reader boards by the restaurants. I heard one couple complain they never knew what was offered. If you can’t find the info just ask at the concierge desk. You’ll want to make your reservations for Feather’s and Lemongrass there too. The concierge staff was hit and miss but Althea was definitely a hit. She was SO fun to talk to!! We are both early risers so we didn’t make it to most of the nightly entertainment. We did see the steel drum band which was outstanding!

Beach & bars – There are no words (at least none I can think of) that describe how beautiful this beach is. I understand now why the Travel Channel ranked this beach as #4 in the world. The resort does a great job of keeping it clean and we had no problem with seaweed or garbage on the beach. Beach loungers were plentiful, although some areas on the beach were more crowded than others. We split our time between beach (morning) and pool (afternoon). There was plenty of shade if you wished, although all the palapas were occupied. We noticed they were building more palapas while we were there. Beach vendors stroll along but no one bothered us, even on our beach walks off the resort. A simple no thank you keeps them moving. I noticed beach service (green flag) but never seemed to take advantage of it. The bars are always hopping and the servers are very nice. One afternoon at the swim up bar we had a blast but paid for it the next day. Moderation was a much better idea! The bars have a board with different drinks listed. Try something new. If you don’t like it tell the bartender and they’ll make you something else. Hubby and I both enjoyed the Red Stripe and Red Stripe Light.

Now we’re back home and missing all the little things that make Couples a wonderful place to vacation. Was everything all rainbows and butterflies– no – but we were on vacation and didn’t let little things bother us. Yes, we noticed some areas seemed a little worn. CSA isn’t a marble and brass resort like we had in Mexico. It felt comfortable like being at home would. When I mentioned I was going to Jamaica people would say, “oh aren’t you worried about the crime?” I never worried, and found the people I met were lovely and very proud of their country! My hubby and I were fortunate enough to visit a local school and could see how much they value education (kids start school at 3). If you want to engage staff or locals in conversation, they’ll be happy to talk with you. If you prefer to keep to yourself, they respect that as well. We are already planning another trip to CSA and dreaming of our next trip “home.”

Room Tip: Tree frogs are very noisy and road noise can be an issue. Hubby didn't have any problems but I...
4 Thank Football11
wisconsin

Travel Date: 02/25/12 thru 03/03/12, First time to Couples

Let me first start off by saying, I almost cancelled and scheduled another resort. I had such a feeling that I was going to regret our decision to come to CSA, for several reasons. First, I had been following the message boards on the Couples website and ran into some issues with Randymon censoring a lot of peoples posts, including one of my own. He did send me a private email explaining that he didn’t want mention of the private facebook fan pages because he thought they were damaging (these pages were not controlled by Couples, but by the fans who created them). I didn’t think these fan pages were at all damaging, they were created by, maintained by, and contributed to by fans. Sure you always get that one person who can never be pleased and will complain, but I think most people know that and take it with a grain of salt. There were, however recent complaints by repeaters and when this was brought to his attention, he had all the fan pages removed from facebook. This just left a really bad taste in my mouth. I got a strong feeling he was trying to hide something. My 2nd hesitation was the vast amount of repeaters at Couples. It seemed almost like a cult to me. I was worried that since we were first timers, that we would be treated as inferior, both by the guests and the staff (I couldn’t have been MORE wrong about that one). I can say I am so so thankful we decided to stay with our original plans.

Front Desk & Check-In: One of the few complaints you’ll hear from me. These people have absolutely no personality, almost standoffish actually. Not a great 1st impression Couples! I heard many complaints about this during the week from others as well. We had several issues with our keys and had to go back. There’s maybe 2 people working at a time at the most and there always seems to be tons of people there waiting, either to be checked in, or dealing with key issues. One tip: If you have a ground floor room, ask for a patio key. There is a $20 deposit, but at least then you won’t have to go back every day to have your plastic thing rekeyed. Unless of course housekeeping latches the other lock on the patio door after cleaning, this happened several times.

Orientation: Especially if it’s your first time, you should really take the orientation tour. Jodi is wonderful. She’s bubbly and fun and full of information and we met another really great couple we got to see and chat with throughout the week. We found out there’s so much more to do there than you would think. You will be sure to miss out on some fun things if you don’t go simply because you weren’t aware of them.

Rooms: We usually go for Beachfront when we travel, but I am so glad we didn’t this time. The vacation as a whole was a bit of a splurge for us, so we didn’t want to spend the extra money. We met some friends who had a Beachfront and they invited us up to their room/patio to look and have drinks. Their room was smaller and there was a constant stream of people walking in front of their room all day and night. No privacy at all, and they were even on the upper level. We booked Atrium. Our room was in building 26, which was the center of the resort. It was wonderful. The patio was almost as big as our room. I was nervous about the privacy with the lack of glass on the windows. But any “falling in love all over again” noises were drowned out by the sound of the tree frogs. They were SO LOUD! I’m one who has to have a TV on to fall asleep, so given that there’s no TV’s in these rooms, the tree frogs became my “TV” and I LOVED it! My husband even recorded them on his i-phone so I would have them to listen to when we got back home. These rooms are more bungalow/rustic style than a normal hotel, which I thought to be very comfortable and more personal. The mini bar was fully stocked every day. The bathrooms are white tile with white grout and in need of bleaching, but other than that, the room was perfect.

Food: We are not picky eaters. Almost everything we ate was amazing. We were not impressed with Feathers or Lemongrass. Feathers is the upscale restaurant, but the atmosphere is stark white uncomfortable pleather benches, no music and the service was worse than the dress down restaurants. Lemongrass is Thai, which is my all-time favorite food. I did not find it to be at all authentic and we just walked out after 2-1/2 hours and still not given the dessert menu. Patois was the best. The food was amazing, as was the atmosphere and service. The portions are small (normal size), which is not something we’re used to in WI. Here an appetizer is the size of most peoples meals, so the 1st day we made the mistake of only ordering an entrée, nothing else. These meals are designed to be at least 4 courses. So we left hungry, but no worries, we just went right over to Palms and ate again. Seagrapes was our favorite. Fresh and healthy. The best sweet potato chips, and sushi of all things. Not something you’d expect to find in Jamaica, but was fantastic. They also had wonderful cappuccinos.

Beach: Beyond amazing. Clean clear sand and water. We did not want to stoop to the chair reserving game that we’ve heard so much about so we were left without one on the first day. I’m ok with laying in the sand, but I really missed the floaty part, so every day after we went out and reserved our chairs. One day we didn’t get out until 9 and really had to search and pull from the pool area. I think this would only be an issue during busy season. The resort was at full capacity, although never seemed overly crowded.

Rating: I can’t give it a 5 star because of the price. It was too high I thought, although we went at peak season. And, they need to set up some package pricing on their photographs. $20 each is unreasonable and I think if they had package deals, they would sell a lot more. Also, I do not like having to make reservations while on vacation and everything here is by reservation. I could understand reservations needing to be made during slow season when they are unsure if something will fill up, but everything fills up during peak season, so I don’t think it’s necessary.

Conclusion: : I am not one to repeat a vacation. I think there are just too many places to try. Exceptions will be made in this case. I wish the Couples brand had a “family” division as well. We can’t return next year because next year will be a vacation with kids. I can say with certainty that when we return to Jamaica, I will be staying at Couples. It is truly as close to perfection as I have found yet on a vacation!

Room Tip: Don't bother with the extra cost of Beachfront if privacy and intimacy is what you're lookin...
5 Thank westonsmom
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 9 March 2012

My husband and I traveled here March 1st-4th for a quick "babymoon" getaway. We had called the night before to request a room not facing the road, since both my husband and I are sensitive to noise. We were guaranteed that. Upon arrival, the front desk attendant assured us our room was not facing the road said no other rooms were available anyway since the hotel was sold out. (room 2206) We got to the room and the whole window behind the bed was open to the road..We could hear every honk, splash, (it was raining) and engine over the TV. We called down to see if we could get a different room and was told "sure". (Wondering why the check in person lied to us saying no other room was available) We then changed rooms, with tolerable road noise. Then another story..after checking in we went to make dinner reservations. She told us they were all booked up. We told her we were only there 3 nights and would like to have at least one night to eat in a nice restaurant (especially since we pre-paid for it). She said "no problem" then and booked us for 7:30 at Lemongrass the same night. So, we go to dinner and they have no record of our reservation. At this point, my husband is really mad since they have been not truthful to us since arrival. We get to talk to a night duty manager who has no power and does nothing but tell us it is our fault. This was our first night experience..wasted. The next two days were better. The beach and ocean is great. You do have to get up early though to reserve a seat and hope that smokers or loud talkers don't sit near you. The food was great too. We really enjoyed the vegetarian restaurant with the sushi and sweet potatoes chips at lunch. We left on a bad note, however, when a waitress was very rude about me drinking a cup of coffee at breakfast. She didn't even want to serve it to me b/c I am pregnant. Overall, would be a great vacation if the staff was honest and truly cared about the guest experience. Would not return here for sure!!

2 Thank KIKI1028
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 8 March 2012

My husband and I returned from a week at this resort. The resort is smaller than some huge chains (Iberostar, Riu), which in my opinion is an asset. The overall layout of the hotel is fantastic (best of the all inclusives we have been to). The food is excellent, every restaurant and every meal exceeded our expectations. The menus did change while we were there, so you never get tired of the options.

The entertainment is also top notch. The shows they put on are very high quality and it isn't the beach staff lip-synching at night, which is what you typically get.

Our room was right on the beach (1229) and it was an atrium suite (no TV). From reading other reviews and looking on their website we weren't expecting modern decor, but you really feel like you are in a tropical destination with the wood decor. Aside from having far less patio furniture than everyone else and quite a few bugs in the room, we had no issues with the room at all.

Some people have commented on the age groups at the resort and I would say there is a wide variety. It is not a party hotel, although there were a couple of larger wedding groups that did party a bit (didn't bother us) while we were there, but overall it is a much more relaxed vibe. If you want to go party hard 24/7 this probably isn't the resort for you.

Now for the best part...the beach. The sand is white and soft, but what is better is the length of the beach and the entire swimming area is all sand. It is like swimming in an ocean pool! The water is crystal clear (unless the waves/wind come up). The watersports are great! We took advantage of many of them. Added inclusions of the catamaran, snorkeling, watersports, glass bottom boat and tons of fitness classes are what make this resort worth the extra money. We saw several other resorts there on that part of the beach at Couples had by far the best beach in terms of length, depth and swimming area of any resort!

Some of the staff were a little snarky at times and there were a few times where we were waiting in line for 15 mins to get a table, but that was only a couple of times and most of the time at a restaurant at home there is a small wait involved.

Overall, I would give the hotel a 4.5 star rating. A few small decor/colour changes would make the resort feel more luxurious in my opinion. We would consider returning to this resort because of the great food and beach!

Pros: BEACH!, included extras, food and drink choices, extensive fitness facilities, entertainment.

Cons: Decor of the main areas, some occasional waiting for tables and poor service, but overall it was usually good service.

3 Thank canadiantravel09
Bournemouth
Reviewed 8 March 2012

My husband and I stayed at CSA for 2 weeks and it was absolutely fantastic. We had our wedding on the beach at CSA and it really was everything we wanted and more. Our wedding co ordinator, alysha was so lovely and managed to accomodate all our wishes and it all went very smoothly and every detail was carefully thought of, like the flowers, cake and the music. So thanks alysha for your hard work!!

The beach at the hotel was the best beach I have ever seen and the security on the beach made it very safe to leave your belongings there if you go off for lunch or whatever. The watersports were great, we went snorkelling, went on the sunset cruise and took a mini cat out, all of which are included in the all in package.

The food at the hotel is really good too! We tool advantage of feathers 3 times and lemongrass twice, both were excellent and I would say the food and service are on par with some top restuarants in the uk. Patois was lovely too if you want al a carte but can't be bothered to book lemongrass on feathers and the buffet at the palms was also pretty good too, amazing desserts!

The pools at the hotel aren't massive but the sea is warmer and much nicer to swim in anyway but if you do want to go for a good swim then I would recomend the lap pool in the sports complex which was also great, really relaxing over there.

The staff at the hotel really did make the holiday extra special, ruel and Natasha at the pool bar are so cool and get a few games going, and they are exceptionally good at the jobs! Everyone is so polite and friendly, and everything is no problem mon!

The only negative thing is that they do have photographers going round at day and night to take professional pics which you can purchase, they are $20 EACH! I personally think that is a complete rip off and way too expensive. My parents wanted to purchase about 16 pics but the hotel were not willing to work out a package deal so they didn't buy any in the end, so they hotel and guests lost out. I would strongly recommend they take a look at their prices as I didn't buy any either other than the 24 that were already included in the wedding package we bought.

I would like to add that the negative reviews really are not accurate and some people really cannot be pleased, I don't see how anyone staying here could not enjoy themselves. I really believe that a holiday is what you make it and i think that some things just need to be taken with a pinch of salt, so please don't let the negative reviews put you off going to this fabulous place!!!

• Stayed February 2012
4 Thank MelissaD87
Burntwood, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 March 2012

We have just got back from having our wedding at this fantastic hotel. It was a truly perfect day & we wouldnt have changed one thing about it. The wedding team made our day exactly how we wanted it to be with no stress involved. Nothing is to much trouble & all of the staff at this hotel make you feel that you are the most important people in the world. The lay out of the hotel is lovely with a real jungle feel to it & the beach is pure paradise. I really dont understand the bad reviews on here as I would recommend CSA to anyone especially anyone thinking about getting married there. We will definitely be returning.

2 Thank Anna_W_1267