“Great Resort for Honeymoon!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Couples Swept Away

Couples Swept Away
Ranked #15 of 84 Hotels in Negril
Toronto, Canada
“Great Resort for Honeymoon!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

We stayed here in January for our Honeymoon and absolutely loved it! The resort is beautiful and the staff are very friendly. The staff don't work on tips, so you don't get bugged for tips, but when you leave you can leave a generic tip for a specific staff member or hotel in general. The restaurants are great, a good variety for 1 week at the resort...but just remember to make reservations early for the fancy places! They offer good off resort activities, such as ziplining...on the big tamba! awesome! One con, is that it is about 1 hr 30min taxi/bus ride from the main airport. All in all, great resort for a honeymoon...no kids, no loud parties, just romance.

Room Tip: corner units have bigger balconies with better views.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank A_honeymooner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,395)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

Please note - we travelled there in Feb 2011, but Tripadvisor doesn't show the option to post that long ago...Having been to Swept Away twice (Feb 2009, 2011) we can without hesitation say that it is one of the most beautiful places we've even been. We've travelled to several places around the Caribbean - Club Meds and Melia resorts in Bahamas, Mexico and Cuba - and this is by far our favourite. Exquisite beach - long, well groomed, white sand and some of clearest, calmest water I've even seen. Never once did we have a problem getting a lounger or feel crowded. Yes, it is a public beach and throughout the day people selling souveniers or singing songs will walk by, but the resort security who quietly and discreetly wander the area watch them like hawks and keep them moving along. The grounds - lush and manicured palms and gardens everywhere. The snorkelling is very nice - the reefs are not in as great shape as those in the Bahamas or Cuba, but still lovely. Snorkelling tours go out twice a day, and take you to one of four sites around the bay. Try to go on the catamaran tour to the caves - its included in your stay (although since its a separate company that runs them, tipping is appreciated), and its a great rum-punch-sodden boat ride to the caves on the westernmost tip of Jamaica, where they let you off to go swimming into them. The spa and fitness centre, across the road from the resort (don't let people make you think this is a "highway" by US or Canadian terms - its a two lane road with a nice crossing guard) takes about 2 minutes to walk to from the lobby and its incredible. A pristine lane swimming pool, jacuzzis and tennis courts are all part of your package, and the spa, an extra cost, is well worth it. The essential-oils infused hot tub, with the chromatherapy lighting is SO wonderful. The rooms are lovely and clean, with very well stocked mini bars. Getting room service coffee and croissants every morning, and sitting on our little balcony was one of our favourite things. The food, by and large, is very good. We found that the a la cartes were the best places. The Patois was wonderful for any meal, and needed no reservations. The locally inspired dishes were very good, and always served by the most prompt and friendly staff you could ask for. Feathers is a bit more upscale, and only for dinner, but again, food easily as good as any higher end restaurant we've eaten in back in Toronto. Sea Grapes has great light, healthy lunches and daily smoothies (anything from the usual Mango to Soya/Beet). The Thai place, Lemongrass, has an amazing view of the ocean, but if you live in a bigger city and regularly eat Thai food, you may find the dinners only ok. After a couple of early tries, we avoided the Palms altogether. Not terrible, and I think were I at many other resorts, I'd be raving about how good the food there was but given how spectacular the Patois and Feathers are, it pales a bit.
The bad about this resort. Can't really think of much. Yes, there is a bit of mildew in the showers. Welcome to the tropics. I think my only complaint these days is that after getting to Swept Away twice for very reasonable prices (around $1900 CAD each, including flight from Toronto, high season), we couldn't seem to find anything near that this February, even though we'd been watching the rates for months. We ended up going to Mexico instead, because while we LOVED Swept Away, we couldn't cough up nearly $500 more per person without a good reason.

Room Tip: As mentionned in several other reviews, the rooms near the road can be noisy, especially in the morn...
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Maxwelltaylor
alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

My husband and I have been coming to Negril since 2005 and have stayed at all different all inclusives along the beach. This is by far our favorite not only in negril but anywhere we have ever been! The grounds are lush and beautiful, the views are excellent from the rooms(ocean or beach front), the food is AMAZING in every single restaurant too! Feathers and Lemongrass are exceptional(the two you need reservations for) and they also do turn down service in the evenings. The mini bars are stocked everyday and they will put anything in there that you want. We also loved the fact that they have every top shelf liquor you can imagine. The bartender at the beach even made me my favorite shot from home which calls for Frangelica and Absolut Citron. I also loved the bloody Mary/mimosa bars in the morning at the buffet restaurant. There is even a food place that stays open until 5 am with great burgers. Lots of nice people staying here too that we were able to talk to and hang out with! We WILL be back! We loved it. I also suggest taking Timair to get there in 15 minutes vs. 2 plus hours on the bus!!!

• Stayed March 2012
Spruce Grove, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

No question, the best resort my wife & i have stayed at & that includes resorts in Dominican Republic & Cuba.

The beach & crystal clear water(like being in a pool) are what set it apart from many other resorts. Not even a single coral or rock or seaweed in the water, just competely a sandy bottom - that to me is pristine!!

Everything about the resort from the beaches, water to the food, rooms, staff - was outstanding. Anyone who complains about this resort is a complete phony or should stay home & never travel anywhere.

There's always minor things that happen at any resort(like a gecko coming into our room, which we quickly sent on his way) but i guess that's what people like to whine & complain about, they forget where they are but anyone checking out this resort & thinking about coming, you won't be disappointed. It's a more layed-back resort & an adults only but you can still have plenty of fun if you're coming with a group of people.

Just a great experience overall, this coming from two people in their early 40's. Will be back in 2014.

Room Tip: atrium rooms is where we stayed & we loved them.
4 Thank Mike N
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

My husband and I went to CSA to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. No complaints and we will probably go back. Our first time at a "couples only" all-inclusive so I can't compare it to another experience. Our experience was wonderful. From the first beer offered us at the airport lounge, to a relatively easy check-in process. We loved our room- beach front veranda room 3220. Second floor offers more privacy but my husband would have loved the ground floor. (If you get a beach front/ocean front ground floor be sure to ask for the key to the doors so you can come and go via the porch) No ants in our room as other reviewers have said. Housekeeping was just fine. We stayed for 6 days but having one experience under our belt, we could go for 5 days and it would be fine; now that we know the ins and outs of the place.

The beach is amazing. We are real beach people and just camped out all day on the beach. I was happy to go to the aerobic studio for yoga or Pilates every morning than after that just chill time on the beach. (Seemed to have nice tennis courts if that's your thing. The whole sports complex was great, even did the jogging trail.) Loved the beach lounge chairs and to take the cushions right into the water, can't think of a more relaxing time. As we walked the Negril beach, seeing other resorts, the lounge chairs and cushions were the best at CSA. Frankly, the nicest beach I have been to, very pretty. We preferred the end of the beach near the swim up pool, less crowded, and closer to a more local Jamaica feel with smaller hotels and local restaurants next to us on the beach. When walking off property, the security asks your room number, you feel very safe. If a local "vendor" gets too familiar with you, security asks if everything is okay. Loved the musicians so do carry small bills to the beach to tip them after they serenade you with Bob Marley songs. We had no problem with the vendors.

Catamaran trip was okay, its included so you should go. We were so happy just chilling with each other, and drinking all day :-) we didn't take advantage of snorkeling or scuba...although, its there for the taking.

No complaints about food, did enjoy Feathers so book as soon as you get there. Lots of repeat guests. Grounds are lovely and happy with our beach front room. Definitely go on the tour so you know where everything is. We found it very quiet and subdued, up scale without being stuffy. There is always that couple or two on the beach that are too loud etc., so we just moved and found paradise a little farther away on the beach. If the resort photographer approaches, take him up on some photos being taken of the two of you; no obligation to buy. We took lots of pics, but got three nice photos of the two of us from the resort. 3 5X7 pics cost us about $45-US, but they were pictures you can't take on your own, so I found them a worthwhile momento of our trip.

One note: If you are a perfectionist, type A personality, some things- like the laid back, unhurried service might bug you. I am that type but got into the "no problem, Mon" mentality very quickly.....

• 3 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Ren S
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

Ok, i'm a pretty fussy person(not in a crybaby kind of way) and spent about 8 hours a night for a month and a half looking into places to stay in Jamaica. During this time i went over every option possible and compared every pro and con, picture and video, im 34 and my girlfriend is 25 and live a pretty fast paced life and like to have fun and let me say this place was the "emergency break" we needed. I had thought I killed all of the mystery with all the research i put into it by the time I finally chose CSA, but I was sooo wrong... I walked the whole beach numerous times and all I can say is that I would have cried like a baby if I had selected anywhere else. Now before we left and after reading some of the bad reviews I have to say I was a bit worried and sarcastically talking to my girlfriend while looking at the resort map I remember saying "I bet we get stuck in a terriable room like here (while pointing to a building right by the road in the corner of the map, which I thought would be a bad thing)" well....guess where we ended up? ... in that exact building( room 1213)! And we wouldn't have moved rooms if our lives depended on it. The road noise never bothered us(dont think any face the road that I seen and I checked) you will have a jungle for your verandah scenery and the treefrogs will almost hypnotise you.Front reception was amazingly fast and they led us to our room even tho I insisted they wait for a bellboy cause they looked busy but they just smiled and helped us along our way. The place is more open air than the picture show it to be, all the restaraunts are great, people are amazing and not everybody is looking for something from you despite what you hear. Clive that works in watersports is a good guy(usualy has on a blue soccer hat), really down to earth and always stopped for a chat and I wish I could have had a chance to hang out with him off the resort cause he was a pretty knowledgeable guy, I dont ever usually namedrop like this...but he is just one example of how great the people here are. And as far as the beach vendors, yes they can be a bit intense at times but say hello and talk to them like people and even they will grow on you. Entertainment is AMAZING for a resort we were there for 10 days(March 12-22) and were thankful we caught some weekly acts two times, the beach bonfire almost made me cry cause the guy who plays the guitar and sings is second to none and will pierce your soul with his voice, we just layed in a hammock and listened to the ocean crash on the shore while he serenaded us. Tip these people despite the policy, they are super hard workers, just be descreet about it. The food was great everywhere. Beach.... well fly in on Timair at sunset and you will not know what hit you when you first see it...let alone walk out onto it... the lighting is unique and surreal. I took about 6-8 thousand pictures and have maybe 20 hours of video footage, spent a lot of time alone on the beach taking pics at night and throught the resort and NEVER ONCE felt insecure, its just not wise to leave the poperty's beach at night cause most of the bars and stuff on the beach even tarp off the beach side at night so you arent missing anything, just take a cab to whatever spot is happening that specific night(Burboun Beach was a good time on Monday, picks up around 11pm) , just ask the people on the resort for AYTHING you need and they will gladly steer you in the right direction. There is a million options there so don't sit and complain about the resort because YOU chose to wear horseblinders. We found there always to be circles of 10-12 people mostly americans that had little complaint circles and rumor mills going on... I actually made a few videos of it just so we could laugh about it later and put and end to some lies people make up to sabatouge the resort cause they were just miserable people in general... and you know what they say...misery loves company.... so just kick it to the curb like we did and you will be fine. Go on some tours, Chukka Dune buggy was fun, Zipline Adventure Tours(not Chukka) was Amazing! Sunset catamaran cruise is soo much fun we did it twice. Candle light dinner on the beach is nice too, and despite me taking so many pictures we still paid their amazing photographers for the gorgeous pics they took and would have regreted it if we didn't. If you are there and upset and acting like you hate life... I promise you you will stand out, especially if there is a group of you doing it and they will not sacrifice the joys of they happy people that treat them with respect and ruin their vacation for the sake of fueling your misery and unrealistic demands...so if you are that kind of person maybe question yourself more than the people around you, cause odds are it's probably you not them in the wrong. Dont worry about seating issues on the beach we never had any and resort was at max capacity, same with a la carte and anything the resort offered. Pools were great, piano bar and disco are fun and open ever night except maybe 1 and stay open till the last person leaves but go out and explore some nights, there is also a great outdoor deck there to relax on , we seen the locals across the street having a party and it looked fun. I really could go on forever but the bottom line is "IT IS ALL WHAT YOU MAKE OF IT" or "its all what Jamaica'v it" as my girlfriend said by mistake then pretended she meant to say it LOL . These rules apply to everyday happieness, so why forget that there... you get to leave your whole other world behind... and it wount cost extra in weight to take with you. Im going to end this review now, please feel free to ask me anything you want to know and I promise you I will do the best i can to give you a non bias answer, pictures ... anything to help. But in all honesty just take the leap of faith and i guarantee you that you will agree with me in the end and cry like a sissy when you have to leave (not like I did lol). Smile, greet people you pass first, make eye contact and treat people like you want to be treated...it puts the ball in your court... and this is coming from a glass half empty guy.

13 Thank johnnybl4ze
Caledonia, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

My husband and I went to Jamaica for the first time and love Couples Swept Away. We came with another couple that had been at the resort before and had a great time. The people are so wonderful and really make you feel welcome.

We already are planning to come back again next year for our 25th Anniversary !!!

I would recommend this resort to anyone that wants to have a great time.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Great House which is the lower cost building and we thought it was great and centra...
1 Thank Vicki6886
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
3.4 km away
3.8 km away
Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay
64.4 km away
Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall

Been to Couples Swept Away? Share your experiences!