“Complete satisfaction in "paradise"” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Couples Swept Away

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Couples Swept Away
Ranked #15 of 84 Hotels in Negril
Fayetteville
“Complete satisfaction in "paradise"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

My wife and I (married 32 years) were at Couples Swept away from April 14th to 21st, 2012 for our first time in Jamaica and at Couples. Our home is North Carolina. I will preface by saying I expect excellent customer service at all times and am very quick to complain about problems. Well I am happy to say that my expectations were more than satisfied and as they say in Jamaica "No Problem" It was absolutely a wonderful stress free week with my wife. We stayed in a beachfront room on the first floor right behind the sunset bar. Our porch was on the side and with beautiful lush flowers and vegetation providing us with privacy but a stunning view of the beach. I can say that every staff member we encountered said hello, smiled, and welcomed us to "paradise" not only in words but their actions. The food was absolutely fantastic at all the restaurants especially Palms & Pateous. dont miss out on the sweet potato chips/dip at Sea Grapes. Beach is beautiful with warm clear water. really enjoyed pads on chairs which doubled as floats. Room had screens with louvered covers which allowed you to hear and see nature yes yes We started our week out with couple pedicures/manicures and midweek couple massages. Absolutely awesome is the only way to describe our experience, wonderful spa staff and facility. Also the resort is visited by couples ranging in age from 18-70 so this resort should satisfy any couples who seek peace and fun. Everyone was having fun but it was not a Spring break party atmoshere. A lot of weddings took place while we were there. We met a great couple from North Dakota !! All the couples we encountered were friendly and having a wonderful time. Many of the couples were from Canada, including another wonderful couple from Vancouver. Couples Swept Away had many activities on the resort which should not be missed. We also went Zip Lining and to the YS Falls/River cruise. I want to address one complaint I saw from other travelers, chairs/umbrella huts. I personally got up at 5:00 am to reserve a chair/umbrella hut but stayed out on the beach until breakfast at 8:00. I can honestly say that I met a lot of people who reserved the places and were there early morning and throughout the day. Most of the people around us were on the beach all day and only left for meals or to go to their rooms. If the beach is where you want to be then it is worth getting a umbrella hut for the shade. Also we loved that the staff photographers were everywhere and took awesome pictures. This allowed you to choose from many pictures and take with you such excellent memories. We normally go to different places but Couples Swept Away will be special to us and this will be our Destination when we return to the Carribean. : ) : )
NO PROBLEM Also if you can, fly in from Montego bay to Negril when you arrive, great start and the view from the small plane WOW

Room Tip: this is a beach resort in natural surroundings so try to get a room close to beach however resort is...
5 Thank craigk450

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,395)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

Just tried another Couple Hotel. We have been to Tower Isle and thought we could not get any better. But Swept Away tops it. Food, water sports, entertainment, excellent. Gym better than ours at home. The whole setting of the hotel can not be better. Long sandy beach which is shallow and no rocks. Although hotel is the Couples largest it does not feel crowded as each section is laid out well. We stayed in a garden room, which we loved. Just a short stroll from the beach. Mini bar was excellent especially in the middle of the night when you fancied a cold drink. There is something for every one here. Very best value for money

1 Thank CouplesUk
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

My husband and I and our (also expectant) friends from Chicago recently returned from a 5 night stay at Couples Swept Away as a quick trip before our babies are born and we already can't wait to go back! This my husband's and my fourth trip to Jamaica (previously stayed at Royal Plantation x2 and the Ritz). I had also visited CSA several years ago when they were in the midst of expanding so was slightly apprehensive about the potential negatives that usually come with a larger resort, however my fears were for the most part assuaged. With the new swim up pool bar and nightclub comes more of a "party" atmosphere, but this is fairly easy to miss simply by avoiding that side of the beach. Not that it is spring break style by any means - the heavier drinkers just tend to gravitate toward the pool bar. This was also the crowd that seemed to chain smoke more (Americans, not Europeans, interestingly), another reason we tended to avoid that area. The older end of the resort (beach front/garden view rooms) provided more of the low-key but upscale atmosphere I remembered.

As others have noted, the beach chair situation is pretty competitive, I was usually up by 6:30/ 7 and half of the beach was already reserved (including all of the huts). On one morning when my friend was able to secure a hut, other guests literally moved our towels while we were at breakfast and tried to claim the hut as their own. (Note, this was on the party end of the beach, near the beach volleyball net) I'm not sure what Couples could do to avoid this ugliness however (short of charging for huts, which isn't ideal either). Beach chair stress has been common at every resort we've been to so it's something we are learning to accept. I will say that it helps to put a paperback book or other personal item on your chairs in addition to your towels to prove you reserved that particular space. My beach coverup went missing another afternoon while we were at lunch though, so it should be an item you don't mind losing.

I feel like I'm focusing too much on the negatives which are not at all indicative of our overall experience (wonderful!), so let me include detailed descriptions of specific areas.

Check in - we were pleasantly surprised to be upgraded from an oceanview room to a beachfront suite (perhaps because I was a returning guest?) We had to wait briefly minutes to check in because our shuttle was full and others got to the desk before we did, but our husbands were happy to enjoy their glass of champagne and we were all grateful for the cold towels they handed out while we waited. Check in went quickly and smoothly once it was our turn and we were walking to our rooms before we knew it. Note - the bellhops do accept (and seem to expect) tips.

Room - we were in 4130 and it was fabulous, just steps away from the beach, on the ground floor. There was no TV, which we liked. (Our friends did have a tv in their oceanivew room 4209 if this is important to you). Though you probably do hear slightly more foot traffic on the ground floor, we appreciated being able to walk right out onto the beach and also having our breakfast delivered directly to our porch, versus having to answer the front door. Note - there is wifi in the rooms, however only a shampoo/conditioner mix in the bathroom so ladies I suggest packing additional conditioner if you have long hair. The toiletries are very nice overall - Gilchrist & Soames.

Beach - amazing... it cannot even be put into words! It was absolutely heaven waking up to the waves every day. They rake the sand every morning so it is pristine. It was fun to walk down the beach for exercise too. Note -of the four people in our group, I was the only one who seemed to be bothered by sand fleas but mosquitos tend to eat me alive as well. I ended up buying a small can of bug spray for $6 at the gift shop - so know that if you don't feel like packing it they don't charge an arm and a leg.

Restaurants - our favorite was probably Lemongrass because it was upscale and open air. We also enjoyed lunches at Seagrapes, although the food at the Grill was also good. The food at Feathers was outstanding, we all just wished it was also open air (like it used to be when it was across the street). The buffet is great for breakfast, ok for lunch, and marginal for dinner. We usually ended up eating breakfast at Patois Patio though (which has delicious fruit smoothies that change every day!). Note - the bar at the sports complex also has delicious fruit smoothies. We also did the romantic dinner on the beach one night (extra $) which we were expecting to be a little cheesy but it was actually wonderful and indeed very romantic. Note - people definitely do dress up for dinners which is fun.

Bars - the beach bars were great and usually had very prompt service. Watiers were also good about coming over when your beach flag was up. The pool bar tended to be crowded (see above) so service was a little slower. We all loved the martini bar and the bartenders seemed to have fun making my friend and me "mocktails" while our husbands enjoyed all the different martinis. All of the guests at the bar were very friendly and we met some fascinating people from around the world.

Piano bar/ Nightclub - We were not overly impressed with this part of the resort. It's obviously difficult to be sober around tons of drunk singing people but even our husbands didn't feel like spending more than 30 minutes there. It was the same crowd from the pool bar. As a point of comparison, the piano bar at the Royal Plantaion is much more upscale/ fun. We felt the whole 2nd floor area (above Patios Patio) with the casino and nightclub cheapened the 4-5 star atmosphere Couples Swept Away is striving for. I wish they hadn't included it in the renovation. Again, it's easy enough to avoid,

Sunset Catamaran - On the other hand we had a great time on the sunset catamaran, which I would highly recommend. It is a very festive atmosphere with good music and everyone thoroughly enjoying the rum punch. It was gorgeous and very interesting to sail down the coast and see all the different resorts. The boat stops on the way back to let everyone swim into some caves and watch the young Jamican boys jump off the cliffs. The kids appreciate a few dollars for their efforts but we didn't bring any cash on the boat. Next time I will pack a few small bills to hand out.

Sports Complex - we did yoga twice during our stay and enjoyed it. The teacher was extremely knowledgeable and professional- she could have been teaching a class in NYC. The new complex also has a ton of tennis courts and squash courts as well. Definitely pack your sneakers.

Spa - we would have liked to use the spa but they could not accomodate prenatal massages. we did walk in to check it out though and it seemed very nice.

Golf - my husband golfed several times during our stay and was pleasantly surprised by the course. Please see his review of the golf course below.

In summary, it was a great vacation and we will absolutely return, although we will make sure to stay in the old section of the resort!

**Golf Course Review
My friend and I played the golf course associated with the Couples Swept Away course three times during our vacation all in the morning. The course is about 15 minutes from the hotel. Not a bad little trip at all and the bus is easy enough and was never too crowded. Getting there is the easy part, getting back is a bit more problematic because they only run one or two pick-ups. This needs to be changed immediately. We played fairly fast a little over three hours but still missed the first pick-up every day but the first day. If there is anybody else on the course from other resorts or you play with a foursome you have no shot of making the first shuttle back so you have to sit around and wait for thirty minutes to an hour after you finish playing. While I do not mind sitting around and having a beer after playing a nice round of golf, it makes no sense a hotel of this caliber does not have somebody on call to drive people back and forth when they are done. I have played multiple rounds at the Sandals course in Ocho Rio's and the transportation there is much more organized. With that being said, we enjoyed the course. Tip #1 is to be the first person off the bus. Have one person sit up front and sprint to the starter to get your name in and pay while the other person in your group grabs the golf bags off the bus. This ensures you are one of the first ones off. The caddies were great every day we played and really helped explain the course and the greens. The course is a bit quirky with a lot of rolling hills and many elevated greens. Good luck finding a flat lie out there. Caddies are required but you will need them to explain and give advice on some shots. They know the course well. It is not a long course but it challenges you in other ways. I had low expectations going into playing this course and have to say it was better than I expected. It could use a bit of work but overall it's not a bad track and is close to hotel. If they fixed the transportation problem you could get up there and play 18 and be back by noon for lunch. Hopefully, they put some money into the course in the next ten years because it could be something special.

Room Tip: Beachfront rooms are worth the upgrade if you don't mind not having a tv.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank beukespew
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

I will make this succint based on previous posts and our experience. My wife and I just returned from a 10 days stay at Swept Away where we got married and honeymooned. In short, with exception of a bump or two- it was Perfect!

The Beach- Best Beach I have ever stayed at. I have traveled extensively through carribean including Mexican Riviera and Yucatan; Turks and Caicos, and Punta Cana- this beach wins hands down. The locals will ask you to consider what they are selling- a simple no thank you will earn their respect and a "Respect Mon" and a fist bump! Consider walking the beach- to the left for Margaritaville (5 minutes) and old Negril Seven Mile Beach. To the right, All Inclusives. Go far enough to the right and you will see and compare Sandals and the beach they have. In my opinion, Couples wins hands down!

The Room- Atrium Suites- 2nd floor rocks- We loved it. Huge Veranda overlooking ocean and Gazebo area where weddings take place. The Hammock on Vernada was perfect. The lack of a TV was a pluys as far as we were concerned. Room was ice cold even withs creens and woods blinds that folded at night. Tree Frogs are wonderful to sleep to- my wife had trouble though- consider ear plugs if you are concerned.

Service- here are a few bumps but generally exceptional was the norm. We arrived and our room was not ready- we ended up in a nother room our first night as did others we talked to. (This seems to be an area of improvement for Swept Away) In any event, they gave us a spa credit and a beautiful room in Atrum we booked next day and made our wedding planning and honeymoon perfect. Far exceeded our expectations. Wedding went off without a hitch. Photographer was amazing- the one on staff- named stared with an A! Minibar was restocked when requested- best to leave a note asking though. Bag up toothpaste and bruses and keep garbage out of room- as a few ants were scene- but once we followed these steps- gone for the most part! Bartending, service workers, water sports etc including restaurants- employees were friendly and helpful. Clayton and Marshall in watersports were standouts (Oliver too during Snorkeling) Oshane, Janet and Roxette at Seagrapes are awesome. No complaints here.

Activities- Book snorkeling, waterskiing, paddleboards, kayaks, etc at Water and towel shed- 24 hours notice for snorkeling and fills up fast- get there by 8am day before. Catamaran cruise is incredible and stops at cliffs on Wesyt End to swim in caves and watch yound local boys climb like Spiderman up cliffs and dive in for you- take dollar bills to say Thanks! Catamaran cruise is sign up at Concierge in lobby- do when arrive immediately!

Restaurants- Excellent in general

Feathers- Perfect- small portions- order lots appetizers or ask for double portions entree; Reservations needed- do immediately when you arrive in lobby at concierge- rebook when you are done first time.
Lemongrass- Pad Thia good as are some appetizers. Great atmosphere but rest of food was just ok; beef not good here; Reservations needed- make when arrive immediately- rebook after you go first time.
Seagrapes- Heathy food bar on beach- Fruit and veggie smoothies and drinks; snapper sandwiches to die for; fresh fruits and salads; veggie kebabs awesome; get there at 12:20pm and ask oshane to give you a Fresh coconut water out of the shell- he slices it for you with a Machete! My favorite place all week.
Palms- Breakfast buffett super- get in and out fast. This is also where many of the resort bands play.
Patois- Made to order breakfast, lunch dinner- excellent- no resrevations needed. A Bog Surprise how much we liked this!
Cabana Grill near pool bar- Jerk Chicken, fish sanwiches, burgers- excellent- better than expected- late night snacks are here;

Summary:
Top notch "Beach All Inclusive Resort" with a few minor bumps related to in my opinion- the lack of urgency in Jamaican culture- that statement- no worries I'll take care of it now- it may mean 45 minutes. While for most items this may be part of the charm, if its impoirtant to you, it can be a turnoff I expect from past reviews. Just be respectful and assertive. We had to regarding our room snafu above.

If you want "butt kissing" service like Mexico or the atmosphere of a Four Seasons or the Greenbrier Resort- you are not going to get it here- Nor should you in my opinion. This is an all inclusive beach resort for couples and they do a bang-up fantastic job in my opinion and that of the vast supermajority of the folks who write reviews. I am perplexed by some of the rare reviewes that complain about this resort or the staff. While it's possible they had a bad experience as we all have. However, I supect these folks had inflated expectations from wanting out of Swept away what it is not while failing to appreciate and recognize what Swept Away is- A True Paradise For Couples to enjoy and cheris forever!

Room Tip: Atrum Room; 2nd floor:
7 Thank Legaleaglenc
vermont
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

We were at Couples Swept Away April 13-21, 2012. We visited this resort 2 years ago in April. This year the atmosphere was totally different. There was alot more loud guest partying on patios and balconies with no respect towards other guest. (Room 3120). It took away from the romantic couples atmosphere we so cherish at Couples. In another review I saw where a guest commented on the employees lack of respect they showed guest when meeting them on the walkways, because we encountered the same thing. One morning I was walking from our room and 3 watersports employees were standing on the walkway talking, and I had to leave the walkway and go in the sand to go by. I would expect anyone to be courteous and move slightly to give the right away, but I was real surprised when an employee would show such a lack of respect. For the most part we did find the employees friendly and the service good.

We had a beachfront verandah room and loved it! It did get noisy at night due to partying of other guest. The food was really good. We did not like Lemongrass, but all the other restaurants were great! We loved Patios for breakfast. The food and service was exceptional!! Feathers and the Palms for dinner were also very good for service and food.

I think we will try another resort next year. We really missed the quiet relaxing atmosphere we look for on the 1 week of the year we go on vacation alone. We pick couples only resorts that try to cater to a romantic atmospher for couples, but unfortunately some other guest rather party with other guest than enjoy each other. No fault of Couples!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank 398vtwheel
Pittsburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

Couples Swept Away in Negril is a beautiful island experience. I wasnt so sure I was going to like the screened walls of Unit 1229. I ended up loving the tree house feel of the room. I opened my eyes and ears each day to the sounds of the ocean and the sight of beautiful foliage outside. We were on the second floor so I felt a little more secure about the screen and wood shuttered areas. One does have to get used to the sound of tree frogs at night. We were very pleased with the food in each of the dining areas. The beach barbeque was enchanting but be ware of the sand flees biting.
The staff is very welcoming. Omar and Shane from the entertainment team were delightful and encouraged you to get involved in the resort activities. Great job guys !!
Oliver, from the water sports team was so helpful to our two snorkerlers. He made a special trip unforgetable.
Ray is a local artist who comes to the resort to hand paint shirts. Our group ordered several shirts and were so happy with each one of them. He even did a custom shirt for my husband with the college logo's for Penn State, University of Michigan and Clarion University. He wrote on the top "One Love" Negril Jamaica.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 1229. Ocean front. Perfect location to pool, dining room, watersports.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Pittsburghwendy
Northbrook, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

This was our second Couples experience. The first at Swept Away, and we enjoyed every minute of it. Having been to Jamaica the year before we knew to schedule a puddle jumper rather than take the 1 1/2 to 2 hour bus ride to the resort from the airport. We loved our room but it did get a little noisy at night with the cars flying down the street. You can't see the road but you sure can hear it. That was really the only complaint. Lovely room and gardens. Lovely people. Great food and several restaurant choices. You will need to learn to dial down your service expectations as everyone in Jamaica is not breaking their necks to serve you. The service is great but not like in the states where everyone seems in a rush for almost everything. The beach is great with white sand and sky blue water. Pre-register for the snorkeling and the catamaran as it fills up fast. Also make reservations for the high end dining. Slacks and closed toe shoes for the guys are required. Be prepared to walk a lot. The restaurants are at the ends of the resort. Walk to Margarittaville if you must see that place (dirty, smelly, crowded and horribly overpriced) but you'll find much better value at any of the other bars / restaurants on the way and a few are very nice. Be prepared for the hustle as everyone it seems, is selling something. The fitness facility was great and huge with almost anything you could want. Tennis, racketball, squash, basketball, ping pong, pool, sauna, and spa, weight room, etc. Will go back again and stay at a Couples. Might try Montego Bay next time but I understand it's very windy on that side of the island. We'll see what the Trip Advisor community has to say about that.

Room Tip: Stay closer to the water or make sure your room faces away from the road because the car traffic noi...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Jay K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
3.4 km away
#4 of 36 in Ocho Rios
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,711 reviews
64.4 km away
Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall

Been to Couples Swept Away? Share your experiences!