“Swept Away 5/9/12 5/14/12” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Couples Swept Away

Couples Swept Away
Ranked #15 of 84 Hotels in Negril
Davenport, Florida
“Swept Away 5/9/12 5/14/12”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

This is just an awesome place,any complaints are out weighed by the service the food the drinks the beauty of this place.We stayed in a garden view room 4204 second floor corner very nice.Yes there is road noise but I slept like a baby.We liked the Palm for dinner and patois for lunch.We had to leave early on Monday so we had the continental breakfast which was delivered on time,I must have coffee to live.Complaints lets see ah ah ah come on down I'm going bace in March2013

Room Tip: Try to stay in the middle of the resort stay away from the third floor unless your young
1 Thank sal143

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,378)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Edgewater, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

After MONTHS of research to pick a Jamaican resort I am beyond pleased with Couples Swept Away! I stalked all the message boards and of course Tripadvisor reviews and I was worried for nothing. We have traveled to several resorts in Punta Cana, also visited Aruba, Cancun, and Bahamas and Couples easily beats out every resort we've been to.
Couples is not marble luxurious accomodations, but I think most guests know that already... What Couples does have is very friendly staff, AMAZING DELICIOUS food, super clean all around and beautiful white sand beach, the water is like bath water no shock while walking in.

When I first booked it was a Beachfront Verandah Suite, then switched to Garden Verandah to save some money then caught a better deal if I took the GreatHouse Verandah Suite, I was hesitant but thank god because it all worked out perfectly. Our friends stayed in an OceanView Suite and they had a sliver of a view and there room was over run with ants and small crabs... Our room was bright, airy, and we had the most gorgeous views, the sunsets at night from our verandah were truly unbelievable and we didn't even have to pay extra for it. The GreatHouse rooms are right above the pool, Patios, Cabana Grill, gifts shops, photo shops, Casino, Piano Bar, and Internet Cafe... We were able to get so much done since alot of things are down by the GreatHouse and only had to walk the other way when going to the Palms to eat. The in-room wifi was great when quick rain showers would pass and we hung around the room till it stopped...

The food was simply amazing, everything tasted good but The Palms was my favorite, the a la carte restaurants are very good as well but The Palms variety and service is the best.

We did the sunset catamaran cruise as well as some other water activities, movie on the beach, sports complex, massages, bonfire, shipwreck beach party, etc etc we were never bored there is so much to do you can have an active vacation or simply sit back and enjoy the water, food, and great Jamaican people.

Overall i found nothing to complain about for 5 days, and if u ask my husband that's a really big deal lol
You can't go wrong with this resort, there really is something magical about the place it was definitely our most romantic vacation yet.

Room Tip: After so much room research I was so happy I ended up choosing the Great House Verandah Suite... The...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Laura B
Columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

I have very few good things to say about this resort. First of all the Couples Lounge was very nice. The staff was friendly and we were in the "bus" in less than 15 minutes of entering the lounge. The free shuttle from Mobay to Couples was a joke! It was smaller than a minivan! I knew the ride would be rough and not to expect much but I figured a big tour bus would take everyone over to Negril and stop at the different resorts and drop us off. Check in was completely unorganized. They only had 2 people working the desk and each person takes 30-45 minutes to get checked in. We got to our room which was 3203 Garden Verandah and it was NOT even close to what I expected! It was OLD, dirty, outdated and very small. There was bugs everywhere! Well it was about 3pm and the sun was out so we got on our suits and headed to the beach. Before we could beach we decided to get lunch. Well the only place open was the Pool Grill. Sad to say this but this was my favorite food of the whole trip! Jerk Chicken was delish! Well its the tropics so of course it started raining while we were eating. So back to our room where we stayed for the next 3 hours(they have NO indoor activities planned or available for bad weather fyi). So then we went to the Palms for dinner which is a buffet. Nothing extrodinary or special about this. My husband compared it to a beach-themed Ryans Steakhouse! Later in the evening we went to the Disco Bar for drinks and dancing. The bartenders acted like they were doing you a favor to wait on you. No really I'm at all all-inclusive 5 Star Resort right?

Let me go ahead and tell you my thoughts about the liquor: First of all I did a pre-checkin where I requested some certain liquors stocked in our mini bard like Grey Goose, Tangeray, etc. Well when we arrived none of those were in our room. We even filled out the form requesting those and were told "none were available" which to me meant this was just another false advertisement! Then at the bars the only tequila available was Montezuma. Well bottom of the barrel liquor makes me sick so I tried some of the fruity rum drinks and frozen concoctions they suggest. Most were either gross because of the alcohol used or too sweet because they were loaded with simple syrup. Needless to say I didn't get drunk or even tipsy the entire time I visited this resort. And trust me I tried and even busted some shots down to catchup with the crowd.

So the next day was breakfast at Patois. You might as well plan for 2 hours for each meal because there is no schedule and no speed and its the norm. The food was pretty good at Patois but again plan ahead because we almost didn't make the 10am shopping bus.

After shopping we went to do our hair at the Oasis Spa. I actually will say those ladies were AWESOME! They listened to each of us and made us all look spectacular. Now it started raining during the hair up do for the wedding time. Btw the spa is across the highway. So I called the wedding office asking for umbrellas and they transferred me to the Concierge whom wasn't helpful at all who then transferred me to the Front Desk whom transferred me back to the Wedding office. We did this for about 3 rounds before I got LOUD and RUDE insisting they get us umbrellas or a shuttle because we just spent almost $500 in the spa and now were left with under an hour to get ready for the wedding. Finally someone listened and they sent a shuttle. WHY did I have to get ugly to get some assistance?

The wedding office was supposed to send someone to pickup the Bride and girls at 5pm. They showed up at 5:20pm. We were all hot, sweaty and irritable by the time the ceremony actually started. The other wedding stuff was fine: pics, champagne and cake etc.

Now onto the Feathers where the Bride has reserved a table for 11 for her wedding dinner. We arrive to find out they won't seat all 11 people. They will seat us in groups of 7 and 4. That would've been nice to know BEFOREHAND so we could make other arrangements and eaten somewhere else. Feathers is supposed to be the high end place but I must have missed what was so great about it. The food and service was the same as everywhere else.

We did go back to the disco later for dancing and drinks. Oh yeah back to the sucky bartenders who act like you're ruining their day being at the bar.

Sunday was the only day we actually had good enough weather to enjoy the beach. Beautiful beach and loved the crystal clear water. However tried to go snorkeling but of course you have to make reservations days in advance. No catamaran cruise as thats only offered certain days too. So again we spent HOURS in our room bored to tears because this magical 5 star resort has nothing to do when it rains!

Sunday evening we went back to Patois for dinner. I understand it will take a while with 11 people however we aren't the first large group and 2.5 hours for dinner is a bit excessive. The bugs ate me alive at dinner so I was in bed by 10pm! Yes 10pm on my vacation at the all-inclusive resort unto which I spent all this $$!

Again Never Again will I visit a Couples Resort. They swindle you in with these fabulous pictures and descriptions but really the place is run down, dirty, not service oriented at all and over priced!

Room Tip: Don't book a room here!
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
13 Thank Wendy T
Jamman, vice president of Operations at Couples Swept Away, responded to this review, 23 May 2012
Thanks for your review posted on Trip Advisor.

We want to thank you for the comments made as it is through feedback such as
yours that we strive to improve what we offer in product and service. Your
comments are viewed as constructive and rest assured that we will discussed
them at our most senior level so we may take the necessary steps to avoid
future occurrence.

We apologize for the ride from the airport. The shuttle ride is operated by
a contracted company and this will be brought to their attention.

You mentioned that the only place that was opened to get lunch was the
Cabana grill, but at that time the Veggie Bar would have been open as well.
I am sorry that we were unable to have grey goose and tangeray stocked for
your mini bar pre-check in, however these items are not part of the mini bar
listing.

In speaking with my Wedding Co-ordinator, she said the bride was informed
that the wedding will be delayed due to the rain. I am sorry if you found
the Concierge personnel unhelpful which is not the norm. I was made aware
that a taxi was called to have the bride and party picked up from the Sports
Complex and shortly after the Concierge Desk was called to have this
cancelled. Let me apologize for any inconveniences caused in this regard.

We have gone through the service issues highlighted in your email with the
Food & Beverage Team and have taken these comments constructively.

It is quite unfortunate that the myriad of concerns you had with your stay
was not brought to management's attention prior to your departure as we are
confident that we could have resolved some of your concerns.

Once again, our sincere apologies for any inconveniences you may have
experienced while thanking you for taking the time to write to us.
Del City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

We just returned from our second amazing trip to CSA (April 28th-May 6th, 2012). I wanted to let everyone know about our experience.

Airport: We arrived in Montego Bay around 1:30pm. I was a little worried since I have heard lines are really long at the airport on Saturdays. We did have to stand in line, around thirty minutes, to get through immigration, but customs was not too bad. Once we had cleared customs we headed to the Couples Lounge and were greeted with big smiles and a couple of Red Stripes. The wait was not very long before our shuttle was ready to leave for the resort. It was pouring rain when we arrived in Montego Bay but as they say in Jamaica, “there is no problem, only a situation.” Our driver’s name was Stuart, he was great. He answered all of our questions and kept us talking. We stopped half way to the resort for a bathroom break and a beverage. Last year our driver did not stop so it was nice that we got to do something different this time. Just as a side note, and totally my opinion. If you decide to get a rum punch on your stop, and they ask you if it is strong enough, be sure and tell them “NO!” It makes for a very interesting ride to the resort. When we arrived at the resort we were greeted with a cold towel and a glass of champagne. The staff was very nice and checking in was a breeze. Our room was ready when we got there so we were immediately taken to our room by Collin. We had a first floor BFVS room 4119, it was absolutely amazing!!

Room: The rooms are perfect! They are not marble and all fancy, but they do bring the island feel. Our room was very clean. It was cleaned twice a day, once in the morning and in the evening they are swept and you are given turn down service. The Housekeeping staff is very nice and polite. We always bring them candy as a “Thank You” for doing a good job. We do the same for the person who stocks our mini bar. Speaking of the mini bar, I have read past reviews of problems with getting the mini bar stocked. Our bar was stocked every day. Also, we were on the first floor and didn’t have any noise from guests who were walking by late at night, we never heard a thing.

Food: The food is wonderful in all of the restaurants. We ate at all of the restaurants this trip. Our favorite is probably Patios, with Lemongrass a close second. We did eat at the Cabana Grill late at night after leaving the night club. All of the servers in the restaurants were very pleasant; we never had any issues with them or our food. Some of the things you must try during your stay, in no particular order, are: the banana stuffed French toast; any of the pizzas; and the jerk chicken pasta from Patios. I would also recommend the sweet potato chips and fish tacos from sea grapes.

Activities: On this trip we did try a few new things, as the sand gravity got the best of us last year. We went on the glass bottom boat ride and did the snorkeling trip. Desmond was our captain both times and he was great. The glass bottom boat ride takes you out to the reef so you can see the sea life. It also takes you around to some of the sunken ships that are under the water. We were also able to see some of the other resorts along 7 mile beach. This was our first time snorkeling and it was a great experience. It was raining when it was time to go, so we just waited until the rain stopped and then got on the boat and left. Desmond was extremely helpful for us “newbies.” The actual snorkeling was awesome. We were able to see a lot of sea life. We also did an excursion to Black River, YS Falls, and the Appleton Rum Factory. This was an all day event, but I highly recommend it. There were only four of us from the resort that went that day. Our driver was Karl, he was great. On the Black River we were able to see crocodiles and learned a lot about the foliage and wildlife. After the river, we had lunch on this hill. It was alright, we paid $10.00 each for the lunch. The YS Falls was wonderful; however the water was really cold!! There is a rope swing that you can swing into the falls, which I did while my husband watched and took pictures. The guides there know exactly were to take you for the best pictures. The last stop was the Appleton Rum Factory, it was very informative. At the end of the tour there is a rum tasting, you are able to taste 12 bottles of rum until you can take no more. It is about a 2 hour ride back to the resort from the factory.

Staff: The staff everywhere we went was awesome!! We met so many new staff members along with seeing the ones we met on a previous trip. Everyone was extremely friendly and helpful. We have made new friends on this trip. We took several pictures with the staff. We met Cindy at the Aura Night Club, and we talked with her throughout the week at the Sunset Bar. Also at the Sunset Bar was Dermon, who we had the pleasure of meeting last year. This guy is awesome! I thought he did not work there anymore and one day at the Sunset Bar I heard, “Oh My God, you are going to love it” and my face lit up. The other bartenders at the night club were Dan, Frazer, Edward, Hericho, and Dwight. They all took very good care of us. We will post our pictures under Staff Shout. Couples is very lucky to have such a wonderful, caring staff.

Beach: The beach was awesome as usual. How can you not be in love with 7 mile beach? I did notice they added more palapas, which was a nice feature. We were able to get one each day we were there. The beach was busy a few days we were there, but I think it was because there were some large wedding parties there. It didn’t bother us at all. Everyone on the beach is respectful of your belongings. We always left our stuff on the beach if we went and ate lunch or did an activity. The vendors are not pushy and a simple “no thanks” works if you’re not interested, or you can go “check out their handy work” if you see something you like.

Overall Experience: This was our second trip to CSA. Our first trip was in 2011 for our honeymoon. This trip was the greatest trip ever! I’ve never had such a good time on vacation. Everything was perfect. I don’t think I can find one flaw or something that could be improved in the whole eight days we stayed there. The staff, atmosphere, beach, food, and activities - everything was great. It did rain on us more this year, but as they say “there is no problem, only a situation.” We had such a great experience that we are already planning a third trip back to CSA next year. We just can’t stay away!!

Room Tip: The Beach Front Veranda Suits Are Amazing!!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank robin1373
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2012

We stayed at CSA May 6-11, 2012. This was our second trip to Jamaica. We visited Couples Tower Isle two years ago. CSA was by far better because of the beach and extended water activities. Food was great, especially Feathers restaurant. Activities at the resort were fulfilling. The bars were awesome and the entertainment was very good, especially the Steel Drum Band.

Thumbs up - food, activities, room set up with mini bar, bars, private verandas for each room, and all of the staff. Just a few of our favorite staff members were Cean and Roxanne at Patios Restaurant, Kevian and Horatio at the swim up bar. Our bar stocker - Javene? was wonderful. And, the watersports team of Donavan and Jason were the best!

Thumbs down - watch for the small lizards coming into the room. We were on the second floor and one was on our bed when we returned to the room one day. Be careful not to leave food or dirty glasses because of the sand ants. People reserved the chairs under the tiki huts for hours without using them. We observed chairs with towels and a book or magazine being left unattended for as many as five hours which is quite selfish. Someone else could have used this area. There should be a limitation on this.

Overall we had a great time and plan to return next year. We advise you to make reservations very early for Feathers and Lemon Grass. With wedding parties and honeymooners it can be tough to get in. The Jamaican culture really can humble you. The staff at Couples are such hard workers with great smiles and positive attitudes at all times. To see them eager to serve, it humbles us to appreciate this group of proud people and realize how excessive and unappreciative Americans can be.

Room Tip: We had a beach view with a glimpse. It was good, quiet and right next to Patios Restaurant.
6 Thank Cocopep
Green Bay, WI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

Swept Away was awesome! We can't wait to go back. Couples gets your luggage at the airport and holds it until your bus leaves. They have a restroom to change into fewer clothes and serve free Red Stripe. It was nice talking to people going to the different Couples resorts. Check-in was easy and quick. They put $300 on your credit card in case you want to shop or go to the spa. They want it to be a truly cashless experience for you. We spent a lot of time by the infinity pool and pool bar. Ruel, Omar, and Marlene were excellent at keeping everyone entertained and with full glasses. The bartenders change bars every 10 days or so. Make sure you go to them all to meet all the bartenders. We were provided anything we asked for, and we didn't have to ask for much. Security was awesome. I left my camera on our patio one night and the guard knocked on the door saying I should bring it in. They take an inventory of everything left outside each night. If you don't want , you don't need to leave the resort. if you want to go off the resort, they will arrange any type of entertainment. I wish they had served akee and saltfish and patties. The food was wonderful! You can have continental breakfast in your room each morning. Yummy banana bread. We swam and walked the beach so we didn't use the health club. Waitresses were all great. One crabby gal at the concierge station. Everyone else was happy to help. Lots of computers for guest use. Very clean. Employees speak English very well - my husband luvs that. Shop at the airport as you are leaving. More variety and lower prices. Get the key that opens your patio door if you are on the 1st floor. Makes life easier. Bring bug spray if you attract bugs. Towels are in abundance. I don't like people hogging the beach cabanas. If they aren't going to be there for hours, they should take their stuff and let other people sit under them for awhile. Couples should monitor this a bit better. If you are going to just go eat and come back, that's one thing, but I sat next to some people who were gone for 4 hours. By mid-week, we were taking towels off of empty chairs and just sitting on them. The pools are uber clean. The ocean was perfect. The Friday Night beach party is fun. The general population bathrooms were kept very clean and always had toilet paper. We liked the dinner music. Were thinking of renewing our vows there next year. Dinner on the beach for two looks soooo romantic but too pricey for us - $250.00 US. Brand name liquors. House champagne was actually good. Drink menu has about 8-10 pgs. of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks. Catamaran cruise and glass-bottom boat included. We loved that everyone was into getting to know one another. All ages 21-81 - everyone talked and you felt like you were taking a vacation with an awful lot of friends. Enjoy your stay at Couples Swept Away!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
13 Thank Queenwheels
Breckenridge, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

Had a fantastic time from May 1-6, 2012. There were 30+ of us there for a friend's wedding. The resort was one of the best we have ever stayed at and our only complaint was that we had a 3rd floor room which kinda got to us after a few days of climbing the stairs to our room, but the view was worth it!!! The staff was very pleasant and worked really hard to please everyone. Check-in and check-out was handled very effeciently. The maid service, room service and mini-bar service were A+. The patio restaurants/buffets/snack bars had very good food----did not go to the reservation restaurants. The wedding planners did a fantastic job coordinating the wedding, which was gorgeous on the beach and the reception was outstanding!!!! The nightly entertainment was quite good----the younger ones with us turned the Piano Bar into a Disco Bar and they had a ball until the wee-hours! I was the only one to get my hair braided and absolutely loved it----worth the cost!!!! Vendors on the grounds and beach were very nice and not too pushy. After the first day, it was easy to find your way around the lush grounds which were beautiful and well-maintained. Looking forward to a return trip which we hope is not in the too far distant future.

Room Tip: If stairs are a problem, get a ground floor
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank BreckenridgeTraveler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
3.4 km away
#17 of 84 in Negril
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,158 reviews
64.4 km away
Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall

Been to Couples Swept Away? Share your experiences!