See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed April 14, 2011

I really enjoyed my stay. The atmospher is relaxing and the neighbors are friendly. However, this is not the place to stay if you dont enjoy nature(lizzards/bugs) or like to be pampered. You will basically be left alone to do everything to cooking and cleaning. The houskeeping is not everyday. The rooms are quite basic but spacious and clean.

This is a pefect retreat for people who enjoy country living or camping. Very peaceful but if you are a person who loves the night scene be prepared to shell out cash for taxi rides.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2010

If you want to experience the true real Jamaica, then I highly recommend visiting Negril and Summerset Village Resort. I discovered Summerset Village by recommendation of a friend that recently stayed there. It is located up on the West End, walking distance to Rick's Cafe, The Rock House Resturant and the cliffs at the oceanside, with many other good resturants nearby. Summerset Village is located on a side street off the one main road going up to the West End. The stars in the sky are absolutely breath taking at night, and the quietness of the area very relaxing. The different types of rentals are very unique, some with Kitchens equipped with everything you need. The grounds are beautiful kept, the pool is always clean and the resturant and bar has everything you need. All the staff was very pleasant and maid service was always there to help you.
The office staff especially Miss Petrenella had everything I needed or wanted right away, and she is one of the lovelist woman I have ever met.

Every day I would take the walk from the resort down to the beach which is about a 3 mile walk. The people I met along the way at there shops or just walking along was worth a thousand words. If you don't want to walk then Bunny the taxi driver is right there to take you wherever you'd like to go. Staying at Summerset Village was another "Real Jamiaca" experience for me. Please check them out at Summersetvillage.net..... and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed March 14, 2010

We booked a standard room (BB) in our travel agency. At the airport we were picked up by a tourist bus which is going to negril. All other tourists have already left the bus when we finally arrived. This hotel is far away from the Negril beach - in the middle of no where! The sea is about 1200 feet away, but there are just rocks. To reach it near Rick's Cafe we had to pay an entrance fee.

The continental breakfast was really poor. It starts at 8p.m. Tea/Coffee/Juice/jam was served with french toast -=or=- just two slices of toast and two eggs or omelette! Aside we got some tiny pieces of fruits. Cream was running out daily at 8:30. We felt really hungry. If you want to get more you have to pay more (11 bucks per )

Our agency promised a free transport to the beach, but this is performed by a beach restaurant. Sometimes there was no bus or delayed about one hour. Then management gave them a call to pick us up.

In the afternoon the everybody got a shower. This is why the pressure always went down and hot water trickled down. Just cold water was available. It's cruel to wash long hair. Later we got a hot shower. Some hours there were a blackout and subsequently no water.

The jamaican people chases the dollar. All I can say is you have to pay for everything. Just to see a cascade, for a good breakfirst...

The rooms were clean and it is a silent place. The people -except the waiter- are friendly and helpful. Get only an appartment without any catering - then you got also a kitchen with refridge. Keep water in case of a water shortening

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed October 20, 2009

I have been to Jamaica 4 times. I initially stayed in Montego Bay, and it was ok. It was like going on vacation in the US. The next time I went to Jamaica, I stayed at Sandals in Negril. I never got to see Jamaica! I stayed there and I only saw the beach, and Hedonism. I didn't like that. I have been to Summerset Village since then, TWICE, and I had so much more fun there, then I had at Sandals, or the Windam Rose in Montego Bay!! I would never go back there! I love Summerset Village! I look forward to going back!

Greg!! I love it there!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed July 26, 2009

Stayed for 2 weeks .. loved it ... apart from the fact that our cottages did not have air conditioning which was sooooooo badly needed. We had a ceiling fan and a stand fan which was not enough.!!!

Summerset Village is located just around the corner from Rick's Cafe (world famous supposedly) but you will need transport to get around as it is a bit off the beaten track. Bunny is usually on site to take you out and about and his prices are very reasonable.

Staying at the Village was a good experience. Special thanks to Indian for being a wonderful chef, Ms Campbell for letting me use the internet when she should have been working (sorry for the interruptions) and to Boomblast for the mangoes and for teaching me about turtles. All the staff were courteous and very helpful. Anything you required, they did for you. Also thanks to Bunny for being a good tour guide.

See you next year (God willing)

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends