All reviews cave dinner blue hole hot tub rum bar blue dolphin our honeymoon the cliff bird's nest sands bar island outpost butterfly room moon shadow other guests banana pancakes foot jump couples massage private sunset
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Our vacation at the Caves was perfect. The staff was knowledgable, friendly, and attentive (but not to the point where they were annoying). The rooms were well kept and cozy. The food was amazing....it was as if someone's Jamaican grandma was in the kitchen cooking because every single meal was homemade delicious. You can order whatever you want for breakfast and they will prepare a feast fit for a king. My husband and I went for our 1 year wedding anniversary and we had an amazing time. What I really loved was that it's not a huge resort. There's only about 20 bungalos in the entire place so you feel like everything is catered to you. We relaxed, ate, drank, went site seeing, had spa treatments....and everything was perfect. I would highly recommend this hotel..

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed February 12, 2012

The Caves is a beautiful spot. Set into a cliff, the white stones of the resort provide a stunning contrast to the the turquoise waters. Each of the buildings seemed to complement the beauty of the natural environment. Even though there were probably twenty or so people staying there, we really felt we had the place to ourselves. There was a sense of privacy, lots of hidden spots to lay in a lounge chair, read a book, and enjoy a blended drink. Someone said they had a max capacity under 40 people, so Sandals this place is not. And that's a a good thing as far as I'm concerned. And, no kids allowed...

The staff at The Caves really gave us personal attention without being overbearing. They took care of special requests with a smile. The food and drinks were excellent. At first blush it seems expensive, but considering the level of service and accommodations, it was a good deal.--especially since we just wanted to get away, relax, and not have to worry about a thing...

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Mahontim
Reviewed February 8, 2012

Went with a group of 10 of us for a birthday celebration. We reserved the private villa (4 bedrooms) and one cottage (2 bedrooms). The place was spectacular from start to finish. The staff was happy and accommodating without being in our way. They were happy to help in any way they could without asking us what we wanted every second.

Our group consisted of a few couples and a bunch of singles and it was easy an easy place to have fun, relax, and enjoy. The staff threw us a dinner in the cave one night and a Superbowl party the next. I thought we might have an issue with the fact that there wasn't a beach (only cliffs), but it was great!

The surrounding area is beautiful. I recommend a bike ride up/down the coast to see what the locals have to offer.

Room Tip: Sundancer or Clandestino
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Colin P
Reviewed February 5, 2012

I cannot say enough about this wonderful hotel. This was our second trip to The Caves: the first one was our Honeymoon and this time for our Babymoon!

The service is phenomenal! Thank you Suzette, Brian, Shernette and Zoom (I think) for making our stay extra special.

The spa is out of this world! We really enjoyed talking to Liz about life in Jamaica ;) We had the couples massage and facials. Excellent! All Aveda products.

The food was delicious! The fruits and vegetables were extremely fresh and colorful. We enjoyed every meal but the lobster and steak night was our favorite!

We stayed in One Drop this time. It is cozy (aka small) and has an al fresco shower, which I enjoyed very much. This cottage is located close to everything (pool, food, spa, reception) so I didn't have to do too much walking around while pregnant. The downside is that it is not as private as the other cottages and there is not much of a view.

We absolutely cannot wait to go back!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Sophy H
Reviewed January 29, 2012

My fiance and I just returned from a five-night stay at The Caves. Overall, we had a nice time but expected more for the price we paid (around $800 a night). We knew that The Caves has a rustic, informal sort of charm and were not expecting everything to be in tip-top shape, but there is an attention to detail that this property lacks.

We stayed in Stardust, which has a lovely private balcony that overlooks the water, so we made good use of that. We fell asleep to the sound of the ocean. There is no air conditioning, but the mosquito nets were adequate in preventing mosquito bites. We had a few bites, but nothing major. There is no wi-fi in this property, but we were able to connect via a cord in the kitchen. There is also wi-fi in the hotel's main dining area that actually carries pretty far, but not far enough to our place.

However, when we walked into our house (we stayed in Stardust), the toilet seat was up. The drain in the bathtub got clogged a day or two after our stay, and the shower wasn't fully functioning (half the water came out the bathtub faucet instead of the showerhead).

Stardust is located farthest away from the other properties, so you have a lot of privacy and a nice view of the lighthouse, but we did wake up a couple times to the sound of dogs barking and cars driving down the street. The property is separated from the street via a large wall, but we did hear traffic now and then.

If you love the beach, you should consider staying somewhere else because as you probably already know, there is no beach at this property. We feared we would miss the beach, and we did, so we took a cab during our stay to go to Idle Awhile, a nearby property that has an arrangement with The Caves. This service was not complimentary, and we paid for our cab ride there and also for our food while there. Our lunch at Idle Awhile was horrible, so skip the food there if you decide to go.

If you decide to swim at The Caves, there are a few rafts that you can float out onto. You can also get into the deep sea via ladders or you can jump in from spots scattered throughout the property. You can also rent a jet ski at an additional cost, but kayaking and snorkeling are free.

The Caves would really benefit from a big swimming pool. There's a tiny pool about four feet deep that isn't big enough to swim laps in. I didn't see anyone in it the entire time I was there. I think that would help for people who miss the beach.

What surprised us was an arrangement that The Caves has with Aveda, which we were unaware of. If you buy enough products and accumulate enough Aveda points, you can stay at The Caves for free. While my fiance and I were there, we met two couples -- both of whom used Aveda points. I had asked if they would come to the hotel for full price and they answered no. It sort of makes me wonder how many other couples use the Aveda system and whether people would be more critical of the property if they paid full price.

The main selling points for this place are the absolutely lovely staff (who will gladly serve you with a smile and prepare any drink you want) and the all-inclusive drinks/food. It's nice to be able to eat and drink what you want without having to pay for it. Keep in mind, however, that the hotel automatically adds on around $70 additional dollars per day for gratuity. We tipped a few of the staff who went above and beyond, but there is no need to keep tipping people because it is added on to your bill.

Regarding food, there is no set menu. There are abundant options for breakfast (the coffee is fantastic!), but for lunch and dinner you are offered two options that the waiter reveals to you once you are seated. Overall, the food at The Caves is great. Some of the soups the chef made were outstanding, and my fiance enjoyed a lot of his meals. (If they offer you crab, make sure you get it!)

When we made the booking, we made sure to tell the staff I'm a vegetarian who doesn't eat fish, and when we arrived at the property, we were asked again about any dietary needs. (GREAT!) However, each time we showed up for lunch/dinner, we were offered two options that both contained meat. They forgot every time. I had to ask them each time to make me something vegetarian. I would have no problem reminding my waiter if I was staying at a massive Sandals property or whatever, but keep in mind that there are 12 properties at The Caves and that we were there for six days. Could no one remember that I was a vegetarian?

When you stay at a small place like this and pay the price you pay, you expect a certain attention to detail. Most of the time, I was prepared dishes that were the same sides my carnivore fiance was having. (beans, vegetables, rice). We did mention our disappointment to the staff when we were there regarding this issue, as well as when we checked out.

The Caves also needs to revisit its cave dining policy. There are two caves at the property. One is much smaller than the other. I called ahead of time to book one of the caves for my fiance's birthday but was told we had to do it on arrival. This made me nervous because I wanted to ensure that we had a cave dinner on my fiance's 40th birthday.

When we arrived, we were offered the much smaller cave on that night, so we decided to book the larger cave for another night (not on his birthday). If you do go to The Caves, book the larger cave (number two). It was a lovely, romantic experience with candles and flowers everywhere, and you have a nice view of the moon and stars. Felt like something out of "The Bachelor" ... except for the bat that soared past my fiance's head. All part of the experience.

We were also excited to try the cave/rum bar on Monday and Tuesday, but we discovered when we were there that it is closed on those nights. We did go down on Wednesday. It was open but not staffed, so we helped ourselves to some drinks.

I know this property has a lot of admirers and repeat customers. I'm just not sure what about this property keeps them coming back. My fiance and I had a nice time, but for the price you're paying, you sort of expect more attention to detail. With so many wonderful hotels out there, I don't think we will return.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple