All reviews cave dinner blue hole hot tub rum bar blue dolphin the cliff our honeymoon sands bar bird's nest butterfly room moon shadow candles and flowers other guests banana pancakes foot jump couples massage waves crashing
Reviewed February 7, 2008

After an awful start (2 hour flight delay, driver not at the airport), we landed in paradise after an adventurous taxi ride.
We cannot say enough about the staff of the Caves - hi Alex, Brian, Paul, Elvis etc. - but that everyone was friendly, helpful and read your wishes off your lips from begining to end.

We stayed in the Sea Turtle which was wonderful with a great bed, huge tub and views of the ocean. The rooms though of rustic, artsy design - see website, are roomy and equipped with everything from Aveda toiletries, blowdrier, loaded fridge with everything from wine to rum to juices, water and snacks, nice cotton robes, a room safe, cd player with your own Reggae collection. There were two loungers right out in front to relax and look out over the ocean with views of the lighthouse - a perfect place to read on a warm afternoon.

Since we are very picky foodies, we were a bit aprehensive about what really comes down to there only being one restaurant but no trouble there. Breakfast, lunch and dinner always fresh with great choices and if you can't decide - do the combo and try everything. I really miss the fresh watermelon juice and sunset cocktails.

Need action ? Ask Paul - snorkling and water sports, the pool is small but never crowded and jacuzzi - perfect with a champagne sunset.

What it comes down to, if you are looking for a small "resort" with wonderful people to relax and get spoiled - this is the place for you.

Date of stay: November 2007
7  Thank Schnap
Reviewed January 18, 2008

This is one of the best hotels I've ever experienced so I was really surprised to see the recent negative reviews. Management was changing just as we were leaving -- maybe that has something to do with it. Anyway, here's our experience for what it's worth:

We spent three nights at The Caves after having stayed at Idle Awhile on the beach for 4 days.

From our arrival to our departure everything was pretty much perfect. We loved our little cottage (Two Birds) which is also the least expensive room on the property. It had really great a/c and an awesome outdoor shower. We were a very short walk to the main area.

The food was excellent for each and every meal. The staff was so friendly and so accomodating, but not in a stiff and formal way that you might expect from such and up market property. They seemed genuinely friendly.

What do you do at The Caves? Pretty much whatever you want. You can snorkel, kayak, jump of cliffs, etc. We snorkeled once, but we spent most of our time lounging at the pool and drinking (the dirty banana is great). The scenery is just so amazing.

I must admit we were probably one of the cliquish groups mentioned by a previous reviewer. We met 3 other couples on our first day there and we all just clicked and had a lot of fun chatting and hanging out.

If you're someone that needs constant stimulation or you aren't comfortable chatting with fellow guests then this might not be the property for you. It was absolutely perfect for us and I wouldn't hesitate to return.

Date of stay: June 2007
7  Thank laustic
Reviewed January 16, 2008

We stayed at the caves for one week in January and it exceeded our expectations. The views are incredible, the food and drinks flow freely and the staff is exceptional. Never once were we told no or anything negative; every request was met with "no problem", "yes mi lady" or "anyting you want". Best of all it was the most relaxing vacation I have ever been on. In one week we only left twice - once to walk to Rick's to see the divers and once to ride a jet ski (which was delivered and picked up from the hotel.

Date of stay: January 2008
8  Thank drdougs
Reviewed January 2, 2008

My spouse and I went to the Caves for our honeymoon and absolutely loved it! We spent 6 nights there and followed the trip with a 3 night
stay at Sandals Montego Bay and I must say it was a great disapointment after having been so pampered at the Caves!

The meals were fantastic. They don't give you a big selection on menus at this place; when you arrive you tell them what you want to eat and what you don't want to eat and they plan the meals around your
requests. I had requested to try swordfish or wild dophin during my stay, and I never got to try the dolphin but was served the swordfish,
and I never saw anything I didn't like on the menu. The view while dining was incomparable, and it was always quiet and peaceful and intimate with excellent service. Of all the places where we ate in Jamaica, the Caves' service was the fastest and tastiest. I think the only meal item that was repeated during our stay was an absolutely fantastic salad with pesto sauce that I was glad to see again, and even then it wasn't an exact copy of the first time. The presentation of the food was always attractive, the fruit was always carved into something fabulous, and it was always delicious. You're always offered
a choice of 2 things on the menu that night and our suggestion is to get a combo of both. It's always awsome.

There were 2 bars and a bar in our room fully stocked with good stuff. When the bartenders weren't present (which was rare) at the oddball hours of the day/night, we were welcome to step behind the bar ourselves and prepare our own drinks! They were delicious. You ask for a pinacolada here, they'll carve up the pineapple before your eyes to put it in the drink.

Our room was excellent. We had requested an upstairs room and we got it. We stayed in Butterfly, a suite with a lovely view of the ocean from 2 big windows. One night we complained of mosquitos to a housekeeper and she did something, I don't know what...lit a candle or something but after that night we never got another mosquito bite!
Every tiny request was fulfilled promtly even down to the mosquitos! There was plenty of storage space in the room for our things, a safe with an easy-to-figure-out key, and none of our things were touched or disturbed during our trip. Any questions we had for the front desk were always answered promptly and our needs were met usually before we even asked. I always felt safe and taken care of in the resort.

If I had to reach for something to complain about, I would say that we were often disturbed by noise from the street when we were in our room. It didn't bother US very much because we're city-dwellers and used to the noise, but it was very loud and I can see it bothering other guests. I don't think the Caves can do anything about that though. I was disappointed in the cleanliness of the bathroom, which looked like it needed to be redone; the paint was cracking, the bathtub looked old, the floor looked like it hadn't been well-taken care of. The rest of the room and indeed the whole resort looked so lovely it actually made the bathroom look worse! I have mentioned these complaints to the resort and I expect them to take care of them asap, the way they do about everything.

The rooms are all different there, all even in one way or another but different. For eg. my room had a view but no air conditioning. My room was close to the ocean but also close to other rooms, whereas Macatree is more private and intimate but further from the ocean (not by a lot-- this is an oceanfront resort). At the Caves you can only request an upstairs suite or a downstairs suite, but not specific rooms. As I was leaving there was a lady very upset that she thought our room was better than hers, and if she'd been able to request a specific room or had been told up front what the differences were between the rooms, I think she'd have been more understanding and less upset. I have also voiced this opinion to the resort and hopefully they'll edit their policy to make it possible for you to request specific rooms tailored to your desires. We had requested Macatree and got Butterfly, but we were very happy and never felt jipped (sp?) in any way. Our room was great. But it's something to bear in mind.

Overall, we really enjoyed ourselves and everything was fantastic. There was free internet (something that surprisingly the "all inclusive" Sandals resort didn't have!) and I never had to wait for the computer. The best part of our honeymoon was the dinner in the cave, the sunsets, of which we had a primo view were fantastic, the ocean was clean and beautiful as were the pool, the jacuzzi, and the private jacuzzi...We had an absolutely fantastic time. We were so impressed by the attention the staff gave to detail! There were candles lit all over the resort at night, including in places where there isn't a lot of guest traffic which really shows how much the Caves staff cared because they didn't cut any corners in their decorating and romance! It would've been romantic enough to dine in a cave, but it was beyond romantic to have all those candles and even the little pink flowers everywhere!

The staff was kind and happy all the time and seemed to love working there. I didn't meet anybody who had a chip on their shoulder or was grumpy to be working on Christmas. I thought the entertainment on Christmas and the dining at the Sands was totally perfect and the exact right measure of intimate dining plus a party atmosphere.

In conclusion, my husband and I were both very happy with our stay at the Caves. We loved it.

Date of stay: December 2007
13  Thank Dramaticme
Reviewed December 31, 2007

The Caves was sensational. We stayed on there on Christmas night in one of their two room suites. The room was beautiful, the staff were attentive but not in your face and the food was amazing. Started off my stay by jumping from the cliffs straight into the water. There are only 10 rooms so it is very private and intimate. W ehad massages at their tiny weeny Spa (managed by Aveda) - one of the best massages I have had (my only complaints was that there is only one treatment room). Although The Caves may seem pricey, keep in mind it includes ALL meals and drinks (including minibar in your room)... so when you add it all up, I think it is better value than a lot of other high end hotels in Negril.

Date of stay: December 2007