“The perfect wedding / honeymoon & vacation - the time of our lives!”

Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Brantford, Canada
“The perfect wedding / honeymoon & vacation - the time of our lives!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2011

This was our first experience with Sandals and our first time in Jamaica. We also had our wedding on the beach at the resort and had a Sandals wedding consultant working with us both before our arrival and at the resort. Communication with the consultant before the trip was difficult - hard to get in touch, but I was happy with the professionalism and organization of the consultant. Once we got the the resort, my husband and I were treated very well by all staff there. Nothing was a problem for anyone and we were totally pampered the entire time. The wedding day was a dream come true - stress-free, beautiful, fun and a truly perfectly happy day - Sandals took care of everything so we could relax and enjoy the day. The wedding package was well put together, and we found the basic package (New Beginnings) perfectly adequate for the two of us. The resort did everything they could to make our experience private and exclusive from the general resort traffic, and we really did feel like it was 'our' day. The wedding photo package was pricey, but worth it (thanks T-Bone!).
The room (Honeymoon Beachfront Walkout) was smaller than the picture, but clean, with a beautiful view and was totally stocked. If you are worried about staff entering your room several times a day, then this might not impress you. We didn't have a problem with it. We had a concierge as part of our package (Danae) who was amazing - professional, helpful and she went above and beyond to make our week so special. The price for the week was expensive in comparision to a lot of all inclusive resorts, but for the quality of the service and package in general, it was a cut above the 'usual' and was well worth it. The food was incredible, and the pools, decor and dining areas were lovely. We spent a lot of time in the sea - clean white sandy beach and warm warm water - just beautiful! Be prepared for a few mosquitoes at dusk, but you will be too busy enjoying the beautiful sunsets to really care. The Red Lane Spa is exquisite if you are in to that kind of thing, but the pricing again is up there. Some of the resort 'Romance Deals' were a better deal than individual item pricing for spa and romance items. Recommend the candlelight dinner on the beach, and the Reggae Vibes catamaran cruise. You need to be up really early to get a lounge chair on the beach, and don't leave your belongings out overnight on the chairs as they are fair game for beach wanderers. BYO snorkels, masks etc as they are only available for the snorkelling boat excursions. Negril Hills is the local golf course and is very expensive, with mandatory caddy. We also went off the resort on a fishing charter for 4 hours. $500 US for the two of us, skipper and 1 crew member. Big boat with washroom , lounge, ice chests, drinks and all fishing gear included. Caught a barracuda after about 3.5 hours, so the fishing wasn't very good, but we were very lucky to get a close look at a pod of Sperm and Humpback whales.
In general, we loved every minute of our experience at this resort and would love to go back in a heartbeat. Thanks to all who made this such a memorable trip!

1 Thank jayandkara

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,349)
  • Greek first
Lincoln, NE
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2011

My husband and i went here last week for our honeymoon. We did the beachfront concierge suite room (no butler) and had the best trip. with htat level of room you get a in room bar, with wine and champagne, and room service, which is not too bad. we had breafast in bed one day, and that was nice. the room was on the 3rd floor, in the Paradise building which is right inthe middle of the resort, perfectly located. It overlooked the ocean and we watched teh sunset every night at 630 on our balcony. The beach was so soft, and the water was crystal clear. the people who work there truely do make your vacation memorable..so friendly and happy! I have nothing bad to say about it. I don't know who writes all the negative reviews, but we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. the food was great, we loved Dinos and Barefoot and Kimono's. Barefoot was our favorite. We snorkled twice, saw a ton of fish, I water skiied and that was great. We did a Lover's sunset Cruise on the catamaran and went to Rick's cafe and saw cliff divers, and went to margaritaville...that was probably the favorite thing we did, it is worth the $80 a person. the staff on those boats treat you right! wait on you hand and food, and entertain you.
We found it best to get up early, around 7, to secure our spot on the beach under the umbrellas, and to hunt down stray pool floaties and put them on our beach chairs, since we didn't have a butler. then put your towl down and a magazine or something of yours or else others may take your chairs. that only happened once, but i started putting out a magazine on each chair to ensure no one would take our spot. We had a fine time without a butler, but that would have been the main thing we used them for, was beach spots.
we played water vollyball several times, and had the best time doing that. met some great people! Pool bar is fun to hang out at as well. beach bar and grill food is pretty good, and the pizzas are amazing at their new pizza kitchen! i reccomend the Hawiian. Really very good, we ate one almost every day.
it was fantastic and we'll be back someday, no problem mon!

Room Tip: Honeymoon beachfront concierge suite
1 Thank ktred
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2011

My wife saw a bunch of commercials about Sandals and we decided after a bit of research to come to this resort. I can say that we did not regret it. Yes there are some real positives but with anything there are some downsides. Obviously Sandals resorts are a bit more pricey then some others such as a RIU or any of the other countless resort types. Consequently this drives up the expectations and especially if you have not been at an all inclusive resort. So to make it “short” I’ll call out the really good things and some of the not so good things.
Great: Food (a lot of choices and great eating locations), The Beach (we were maybe 20 feet from the beach and there were practically no waves!), Staff (really friendly and extra friendly if you leave a buck or two), Activities (like any place the really exciting things were of campus and cost extra but the stuff they offered there was decent).
Not so great: Bathrooms (they could have been a bit bigger and were fairly outdated but not really a big deal), Entertainment (it was not bad but could have been a bit better but again you are not in Vegas ), High Expectations ( Don’t get me wrong this is a 5 start hotel but I think I psyched myself out because we spent a nice buck but really once we were on the plane we missed it already). Overall we would say that we will coming back here but instead of 7 nights maybe cut it down to 5.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Stuck in the Midwest
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2011

My husband and I just got back to reality last night as our plane landed to bring us back home. This is our 3rd time at staying at a Sandals resort property. We stayed in the River Suites with Butler service. Those rooms are spectacular, and yes it is expensive. I cannot comment about not getting beach chairs with shade since the butler always ensured that we had a chair with floaties and an umbrella. Since we did save and splurge for this vacation package, it was very nice to have a dedicated space on the beach. Still, I can tell you that there was one morning that my husband and I went to our reserved chairs around 0830 where my husband had thrown his shirt on our chairs which also included the reserved sign "Reserved for Mr. and Mrs. Moore" written on it, and when we went back around 1100 to lay out, someone had taken our chairs and my husband's shirt was placed approx. 8 chairs away, and the only reason we didn't make an issue of it was because the place it had been moved to had an umbrella and 2 chairs. On a different day, our butler told us to go down and put stuff on our chairs because they might not be there if we go too late. I had heard someone else tell me that if the reserved chairs that actually have your names on them haven't been occupied by 1100, then you can loose them because they are up for grabs for anyone. I don't know if that is true.
The River suites are on one end of the property and away from all of the activity, which really made that nice since my husband and I took this vacation to strictly relax. You can read what everyone else has written about this resort but I do want to say one thing. My husband and I have spent our lives traveling the caribbean and honestly, Jamaican's have been the most consistent and nicest people we have had the privilege of meeting. We firmly believe it is how you interact with people that will determine the responses. Interjecting humor when talking to people always seems to make people smile and we have rarely received any rudeness. I never saw one person be rude that works at Sandals. In fact, I would like to mention a few people that rarely get any feedback; We loved visiting with Keri-Ann one of the servers and wish her the best and hope that she obtains a full time job once her training is complete. We also wish the same for Lee-Ann who made smoothies in the morning and sandwiches for lunch, she had such a smile everyday, best wishes to you. Allison and Sharaine were some of our room service housekeeping staff that were very friendly. We ate at Kimmonos and had Paul as our chef for the night and enjoyed his singing and entertainment as well as good food. To Khane, who maintains the flower beds, we enjoyed talking to you and wish you all the best.
Lastly, a couple of shout outs to our butlers. To Mark "Oh my goodness", it's hard to believe the vacation is over, to Neisha "Oh Jesus", you mean the "Captain and the model" have to go back to work tomorrow!!! :-) I'm going to miss both of your expressions and Thank you for constantly checking on us and bringing us double drinks and snacks. I wish you all the best and for all of those other people who remain nameless but work behind the scenes to try to ensure that everything is perfect for all of us tourists, we greatly appreciate your service! Respect mon until the next time. One love.

Room Tip: River suite 6120 great location.
1 Thank Sindy_Badu
philadelphia, pa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2011

jamaica! what can i say!??! ya-mon!!!!!!

this was a no frills relaxing vacation for my boyfriend and i. it was more than we could ever have imagined. seriously such a wonder resort and the people/staff are some of the most catering, genuine, sincere, friendly, happy, positive people we have ever met.

STAFF: amazing, i can't even express how nice everyone is... they go above and beyond for you...

ROOM: beachfront honeymoon suite w/room service/concierge--great value, although we did not use any of the room service or take advantage of it, the view and the room was perfect size and just right. the view was amazing, quiet, bed was huge, comfy and i miss sleeping with the door open at night. there were no mosquito issues (thank god for me!) in august, although i was so scared there were, but there were not! phew! BUT watch for sand fleas--if you want to walk a romantic walk on the sand at night hand in hand with your loved one--don't do it! lol. you will get eaten alive by sand fleas which are totally in season during august. they come out at night and jump/bite and you don't feel any pain or the itch until like 5 days later--it happened to me in turks & caicos and i avoided the beach this time around!

ACTIVITIES: wow, take advantage of everything. we kayaked, took out the big water tricycles for arm/leg workouts, and it was so much fun. at one point, we kayaked out so far, i took my life jacket off and laid in the kayak with my boyfriend and we just relaxed looking at the sunset... amazing. the tricycles are so much work! we laughed the entire time, they are SO hard to push at first and through waves but it is a ball of fun. you MUST do the hobby cats, the little sail boat things, omg. you really feel like you are sailing. you have to get a lesson from the workers or you will get stuck! my boyfriend felt like macho man and refused to get a lesson or to ask for help. we got stuck for a half hour, but after the lesson, he felt like a sailor. we went out to the private island (if/when you go you will know which one i am referring to) and it is owned by the hedonism resort (which is next door to sandals) and you will get yelled at to come back lol. we did hobby cats twice because it was so much fun! make sure you buy a water proof camera, the views are to die for! the water SO clear and you can see everything!

FOOD: is okay.... pretty decent, but really basic. we ate at every restaurant and the only one that is delish is the japanese restaurant which you have to get concierge to make a resv. for you in advance. it was so yummy and they are communal tables so be prepared to socialize. whatever you do, you will get addicted to the beach bar--it is so FAST and delish! you have to have the jerk chicken with volcano sauce if you like spicy food. we ate EVERYTHING on this menu and honestly it was the only thing i craved for everyday and i wish we had one in the states. it was so yummy! the thing i loved was every morning i would get up, i would get ready/shower etc. my boyfriend was able to go to the buffet and get whatever i wanted and bring it back to the room for me while i got ready. i heard at other resorts, they don't allow you to take plates of food/fruit etc. out of the banquet halls. but the food was okay, honestly nothing crazy....

BEACH: we could never find chairs, floaties or umbrellas at 11am, so we would get up around 7am, take floaties and "claim" them. if you take the floaties (which are free for all and stacked) and place them DIRECTLY on chairs--they are "claimed". so we would get up at 7am and claim our chairs. you have to do that in order to get the spot you want to lounge around at and if you want nice chairs. several times we had to walk all the way down on the other side of the island to look for chairs. until we figured out how everyone had one, we started doing that... so i highly advise claiming your chairs in the early am

NIGHTCLUB: the resort nightclub is really basic. it was okay, really commercial and corny americanized.

okay, so we were a little adventurous, we wanted to go to a real jamaican outdoor concert and hear a live reggae band. we saw Pete Tong's nephew perform with a bunch of other performers off the resort. it was a 20 dollar cab and we saw the flyer in the hotel by the activies office. it was held at some other resort (i forget the name) but it was a crappy resort but really fun. our cab driver became our best friend, his name was Leroy. a really serious man who loved to talk politics and international affairs with my boyfriend but he became our friend. he picked us up from the resort when we told him to and we asked him to take us to a GOOD local street cart/place that sold genuine jerk chicken. that was something we saw on TV (anthony bourdain's no reservations) and have always wanted to do... and so he did.

we were not allowed to leave the cab, he went for us and the locals all saw us in the car and we heard Leroy yelling at the cook to put more meat, more sauce, more everything lol in the containers for us (so not to rip us off). after he dropped us off to the resort, we arranged another date with him to go to the jungle nightclub (you must go if you are there on thursday nights. which is the locals night). the beach bar restaurant is open until 1am or 2am? so when we came back, we had an idea to get fries and volcano sauce to go with our local jerk chicken. and it was open! they were so nice, we told the cooks about our night and they set everything up for us and the street jerk chicken is TO DIE FOR. it is so different from the resorts (which the cooks told us is more americanized).

Jungle Nightclub: really fun, ladies are free before a certain time, i think midnight? its locals night, so if you are more open minded you should def. go. it is all reggae, all dancehall/soca etc. tons of fun watching the locals battle each other and just dance! cocktails are REALLY expensive, i believe each drink is about 15 dollars and bottles of water were 10. our leroy came to pick us up again at the exact time we told him to and then back we went to get local jerk chicken! :)

whatever you have read--the locals are not dangerous, i have heard some random rumors about machine guns around the resorts and intense security because of jamaica being dangerous--honestly these people saying those things are CRAZY, PARANOID narrow minded, ignorant exaggerators. it is the safest country i have been in, the people want nothing but for you to embrace their culture and love their land the way they do. this was my first time to jamaica, and it will not be my last. i want to get married on this island, retire here and plan to have many more vacations here!

it is so beautiful, relaxing and the airport is really modern and new since they're expanding

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lovetraveling87
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2011

We went to Sandals for 11 days and had a fantastic experience.

We started each day with breakfast brought to our room which we had set up on the patio overlooking the pool and then beach and ocean beyond (we had a swim-up room and the room and bathroom exceeded my expectations). The rooms and grounds were beautiful with the beach raked more than once a day. We didn’t see any trays or food left lying around as reported in some other posts.

We would then wander down to the beach where the butlers had reserved chairs for us under a shade. We were warned that if we didn’t use these by about 10am each morning that we would lose them which I think is very fair.

We went on a few of the snorkelling trips, I went scuba diving and my husband learnt to water-ski. All of the sports staff are excellent and very patient. In fact, all of the staff that we encountered were great. Everyone went above and beyond their jobs to ensure that we had a good time and in fact the one time that I tried to offer a tip they flatly refused to take it. Staff made the effort to learn our names and I would always be shocked by staff that I didn’t even remember meeting calling me out by name to ask how I was doing as I wandered past. The staff and Carl the Manager of the resort are really accessible and were all at the beach party to chat with guests to ensure that they are having a good time.

We eat in all of the restaurants, but my highlights were…
1) Dinos - get a table overlooking the sea at sunset - beautiful
2) Kimonos - hilarious where the chef cooks right at your table – definitely ask for a reservation as soon as you arrive as it gets really busy
3) Barefoot by the Sea - my absolute favourite for amazing shrimp and the best location where you eat with your feet in the sand

The butlers would always make our reservations, walk us to the restaurant where they would have a table reserved and decorated with flower petals etc. I didn’t have an issue with any of the food and could always find something that I liked. I don’t understand why others paid additional money for more expensive wine when the four house wines were free and tasted great. Plus you could always get champagne, cocktails etc all included.

Two evenings we came back to the room to find it had been decorated by the butlers and covered in rose petals, bath run with champagne on ice etc. I would have loved them to have done this more often but am sure that if we had asked they would have done so it is probably my fault for just not asking. Mark (one of our butlers) also surprised us by meeting us right where the boat came in from the snorkel trip with cocktails waiting for us which was a really nice touch.

We got married whilst we were there and the wedding department were exceptional. Andrea, the Manager, in particular was amazing and so accommodating making sure that my day was perfect. I had pre-paid for the trial hair and makeup the day before the wedding and the ladies in the spa spent so long making sure that I was happy, and then at the end event changed my hair into a different style so my other half didn’t see how it would look before the actual day. On the day of the wedding they recreated the look perfectly, whilst feeding me with regular champagne mimosas to help with my nerves!

We had the private reception with lunch in the gazebo and our guests were so impressed with all of the serving staff who were so attentive. We had Devon take the photos and he did an amazing job, so many people have commented that the photos look like a magazine shoot.

A definite recommendation would be to pay the extra to do the private dinner on the beach as this is so romantic.

If I had to find fault it would be…
1) The bedrooms are very dark and so it is difficult to see to do makeup in the evenings
2) The only restaurant open at lunchtimes is the buffet in Bayside (There is a burger bar or takeaway pizzas in addition but it would have been nice to have been able to sit down to a proper lunch served to us)
3) Sundowner can be slow especially at breakfast, but then again you are overlooking the ocean with drinks freely flowing so who cares?!?

But these are really minor quibbles when you are in paradise.

All in all, it was a very expensive trip but so worthwhile. Absolutely exceeded my expectations and every time I look back at my wedding photos I wish I was back there. Now just to start saving for a return visit!!!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank weddingconfusion
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2011

I went to Sandals Negril with a fiance and came back with a beautiful wife. Sandals took complete control of our wedding and photography and made our experience one that my wife and I will remember for the rest of our lives. When we went to Sandals Negril, we were looking forward mostly to the beach, food, drinks, relaxation, the wedding, and the ocean. Now that we are back home, the thing we miss most about our stay are the not only the couples we met while there, but the some of the people who work at Sandals Negril. The people there made our stay comfortable, worry free, and best of all blessed.

My Wife and I had a Crystal Lagoon Swim-Up suite for our Wedding-moon. It was a spacious room with a beautiful view and lots of amenities. We also had butler service with 2 butlers who worked non stop to ensure our trip was full of love and enjoyment. After Snorkeling with our awesome instructors (Smiley and Big Papa) our butlers would be waiting for us to get off the boat with beach towels, a couple of cocktails, and our lunch orders already placed. They would even take our fins back to the snorkeling center for us so we could focus on relaxation. Almost every evening, our room was covered in rose pedals and they drew a hot bubble bath for us along with a few surprise decorations. Everyday we had reserved beach chairs with a stocked cooler and if there were any problems (which was very rare) they were both only a phone call away with our personal butler cell phones. Thank you so much Mark and Neesha, for the experience you gave my wife and I. I overheard other couples brag about you guys and wish they could have had you as their butlers. You two did an amazing job and we were truly blessed to have crossed paths.

We met some great couples while staying there and hopefully we will all stay in touch and visit in the future. The excursions were fun. The Sunset "booze" cruise to rick's cafe and margaritaville is a must. However, I would not recommend Dunn's River Falls, because there is a 3 1/2 hour shuttle bus ride there and 3 1/2 back. if you were staying in montego bay or ochos rios it would make more sense. Dunn's River falls was amazing though. We also took a charter flight back from Sandals to montego bay airport when we left and it only took 15 min and was fairly cheap with great sight seeing.

The people at Sandals Negril made this trip incredible. The wedding staff were on there "A" game. Charmaine was our wedding coordinator and she made sure everything went smoothly. Ashton and I went to Negril by ourselves to get married so she didn't have a maid of honor to help her. However, charmaine went to her room to help her while she was getting ready. Oliver, or Big O as I called him, was the master of ceremonies and did a fantastic job. Vinton was our videographer and brought Ashton to happy, joyous tears when she watched the video for the first time. We though a video would have been cheesy, but it was totally worth it!!! and last but not least our photographer, Anthony or Tbone as he was called was fantaastic. haha. It was so hot outside and we were nervous about how our picture were going to turn out. Anthony did an amazing job and he was truly a joy to be around. He was also hilarious. We are happy to have him as one of our witnesses.

The restaurants at Sandals Negril were so elegant and most of them had beach views. The food was delicious and for the most part tasted healthy and light. It was nice since you are already drinking all week long anyways. The hibachi grill (kimonos) was great and if you go you should ask for Crane. He is a 6 foot 7 inch tall jamaican man who I will miss for a very long time. He was energetic, funny, and electrifying!! he took off his hat and apron and put it on my wife and she was throwing shrimp into my mouth. classic. We miss you crane!!!

The night nightlife was great. shout out to Omar, Kahni, and especially Sheldan. Sheldan was representing with some bartending flare. Whether he would balance drinks on his head, flip bottles in the air, or roll rum drinks down the table. he was awesome.

Our trip was incredible. We cannot wait to return to Sandals Negril. If we go back to Jamaica it will only be to Negril. Hopefully sooner then later. If we could go back every year then we would. Feel free to contact me about our review. I feel like we experienced just about everything Sandals Negril had to offer and we loved every minute of it!!!

Room Tip: Crystal Lagoon Suite!!!
3 Thank Kyle_Ashton
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
6.8 km away
Sandals Montego Bay
Sandals Montego Bay
#9 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,231 reviews

Been to Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!