All reviews rooms are very basic seven mile beach small hotel security guy negril beach always felt safe a great week real jamaica beautiful beach jamaican food laid back night life great trip recommend this resort ricks cafe yoshi ninja
Reviewed January 26, 2018

We stayed at this resort 1/17-1/25. The staff was exceptional, they went well out of their way to ensure that all of our needs were met. The location is right smack in the middle of Negril's gorgeous 7 mile beach and neighbor's Root's Bamboo and Woodstock Negril. It is about a 10 minute walk to the Tree House Resort and Margaritaville. Our room was sufficient for our needs, clean, and spacious. We brought our own little coffee pot because we were made aware that there is a charge per day for coffee pots, refrigerator usage and for the safe in the room. The resort does offer beach towels for a deposit which is returned upon checkout. The beach owned by the resort is small, but there is enough room for all of the guests who stay there. Also, there are miles of soft sandy beaches and if you find you need more privacy, you can simply set up camp elsewhere. There are also ample beach loungers available and little tiki huts if you are into shade. The security guards for the resort are incredible. One day we went for an unexpectedly long walk and there was an intense downpour. We had left our towels, beach bag, phones, etc near our chairs and assumed that our stuff would be ruined by the time we returned. We were pleasantly surprised to learn that the security guard actually retrieved our items and kept them safe for us. They really look out for their guests' needs and safety and do a wonderful job and keeping the vendors away from guests who don't want to be bothered. The entertainment director, Country, was such a fun-loving and interesting character. He really used what he had to try and keep the guests entertained. The bartenders were...somewhat elusive at times. This means, that yes, you do have to wait longer than five seconds to get a drink, but this culture has a different orientation to time than others and there is just a more laid back approach to most things. Meal times, for instance, were not always exactly as planned but part of being on vacation is slowing down and relaxing. The food was surprisingly good. They offered a wide variety of foods, and when they discovered that I was a vegetarian they prepared special meals for me upon my request at no added charge. They also have an A La Carte menu that is included with the all inclusive option and they were quite receptive to making an alternate food item for anyone who did not care for the buffet options. In addition, there are so many wonderful food vendors and restaurants within walking distance that no one who stays here is going to go unhappy or starved.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
10  Thank todd_rettig
Reviewed January 20, 2018 via mobile

This place is a jam on earth live the staff food was amazing good was so good so much all the time entertainment was the boom shoot out to contrie he was amazing dj and friend 12 of us were there and we will never forget how amazing the staff and the pple were we will take. Fam trip again please try this place amazing they made us feel at home

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
4  Thank sherrybasdeo29
Reviewed January 20, 2018

We had a family trip of 12 people. Had a wonderful time. "Country" the DJ was the highlight of our trip. He made it extra special everyday with his games and music. Bar men were great as well. Would have like to see a little more variety of fruits and veggies. Overall a trip to remember.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
7  Thank Charlene K
Reviewed January 19, 2018 via mobile

Stayed there for 7 nights with a group of 12 earlier this week. I wanted to highlight a few things based on our experience. I’ve travelled a lot and this was by far the worst property I’ve ever seen.

This hotel as in the physical property is a dive. We had 6 rooms between us and they were all terrible. Moldy, lights were dim and flickered, major plumbing issues where water barely came out of the tap, clogged toilets, dirty bathtubs, seems like they try to paint and repaint the drywall vs replacing it, beds were rock hard, no hot water, shall I go on. The hotel itself needs to be demolished and rebuilt.
One small restaurant and 2 bars. When it rains there’s no place to go, actually there’s no place to go period except the restaurant where you eat all your meals or go back to your room. Dirty pool and hot tub, the grounds are not well maintained.

Now for why I have this 3 stars vs a 1.

It’s all about the people. The staff at this hotel are great people. They make you feel at home always making sure you’re ok. The entertainment guy ‘country’ is fantastic he tries so hard to make things entertaining working with very limited props. The bartender works about 13 hours each day which seems very unfair even so he was always pleasant to deal with. The housekeeping staff assigned to our room was terrible they wouldn’t clean the room unless we tipped them. Or they straight up said to you they don’t feel like cleaning the room and left. Very unprofessional, but this was only one or two who acted this way.

Food was an issue. I tried to eat whatever was there but it was mostly the same stuff everyday and one of each dish like one meat item either fish or chicken never both, and lots or carbs no veggies and always cake or a cookie for dessert. My mom is a vegetarian and had a hard time finding food except for rice or macaroni alone. Gets old after 2 days. Breakfast was fine. More selection is needed at lunch and dinner. What was there was tasty but unsatisfying at times. A la carte was fine but sometimes we got a hard time to order especially when the buffet was open but we didn’t want what was there or were still hungry cause they ran out of items. People line up like literally all the guests for lunch and dinner if you’re not the first 30 or so you won’t get food, or will need to wait to see if they put replacement items out which was very limited and disappeared before it hit the tray. they need to just put it all out at once.

I won’t stay there again but I can why people like it if you are ok with a motel 6 or less type place on a nice beach and of course the staff are fantastic. Agree with other posts they need raises.

Do not recommend for families with young children as people smoke in the one restaurant all the time pot and cigarettes, with no place to escape except to your room.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
8  Thank ccvalentine97
Reviewed January 9, 2018

My boyfriend and I booked this trip as a first all-inclusive vacation with each other. The kind of vacation that tests your ability to adapt and reveals a side of you not normally seen during the day to day stresses or small weekend getaways. The perfect time to unwind and allow the magic of tropical breezes and endless ocean create the perfect romantic setting for your happily ever after stories for future generations. Well we certainly got some stories on this one.

On our bus there were people traveling to various resorts ours being one of the last. The drive was pleasant and gave a beautiful view of the culture and country we were staying in. Beautiful colours adorned houses, rolling hills and lush green trees. We were heading to Negril passing small towns with hardworking people going about their day to day oblivious to the large buses filled with eager tourists staring at them through the windows while flying by at top speed. Children in uniforms attending school, catching rides in the back of trucks or walking down long stretches of road. I love the bus ride and must say I admire how well the drivers handle these large buses in such small spaces.

Beautiful resort after beautiful gated resort with large walls we anxiously awaited our stop. Group after group got off leaving us and one other couple who was not going to our resort. Eventually they switch us to a smaller bus as there are only four of us left and we continue our journey.
The bus pulled up to this very quaint hotel. No big gates, no marble floors, no fancy check in desk just this small row of two story rooms with a natural path of stone and grass separating two small buildings.

My first reaction was this is beautiful. It’s not the kind of resort you would choose if you like extremely manicured lawns and marble pillars everywhere. This is the kind of place you visit if you want to feel like you are smack dab in the middle of another country and culture. It has a homey feel to it as though you are visiting a friend.

We set up shop on the beach and immediately paused to take in the breathtaking view of the ocean. Swimsuits on we took our first dip in the ocean and let all our stress melt away. After a few visits from locals approaching us and introducing themselves we settled in. You may want to note that while the all inclusive offered an excursion that we ended up losing because of weather we still would not have purchased it in the first place knowing that there was a man named Leon who offered snorkeling and a trip to an island with fresh cooked fish and lobster for a fraction of the cost.

We met a few very pleasant folks and quickly learned that everyone has something to sell.
The buffet was a hit with me every single day. The ladies in the main dining room were amazing. Sweet and thoughtful they always made you feel welcome and welcomed feedback on the food which I will only say was fantastic. The kitchen staff did an amazing job of preparing delicious food every time.

Our first night we were approached on the beach by what I will call the first of the hard-core hustlers. My beautiful but very drunk boyfriend had his foot rubbed by a man claiming to do reiki and massages. The first one is free he said so that he could show him how good he is. Thankfully sober me kindly told the gentleman to unhand my boyfriend just before he told him he would rub the second foot and come collect a tip later. I asked him to leave before that happened but will note he came back a couple days later and was rather abrasive insisting we owed him something.

Rooms:
After a long day of travel and sun we decided it was time to retreat to our room. This unfortunately was not a great experience.
The room had a door that connected itself to the next room and you could hear the television as though it was right next to your ear.Thankfully the very sweet staff in the front office hooked us up with a different room. The rooms are always clean and spacious. Rows of sweet little balconies at each room let you sit outside and relax. I am not really picky when it comes to style in the room, but minor repairs were needed on many little things like exposed roof fixtures, pipes and windows. The water pressure in both rooms was not great and there was very little hot water. I had to soap up then rinse myself by splashing water on myself one day lol but in the hotels defence I didn't bother to call to have it fixed which I’m positive they would have as we were leaving. The owners of this hotel have a place full of amazing potential. The cleaning ladies are attentive and do their best to keep the rooms very clean. The staff was amazing and I’m sure they do not get paid enough to deal with complaints from guests when the things complained about are out of their control or when guests are just rude. We were very fortunate and met some wonderful people on this trip. A lot of the guests we met were repeat visitors who have nothing but amazing things to say about the resort.

Bar:
Ok so now onto the bar. Very little selection and they always run out of wine ☹ this was very disappointing. My boyfriend did not care for the bartender very much or the one young man that relieved him. Personally, both these gentlemen seemed not to care too much about how the guests perceived them. The rest of the staff make up for it.

Entertainment:
The entertainment was handled by one man who with very little to work with created a very pleasant atmosphere. Again, I stress that the staff deserve a raise and perhaps provide more equipment for the entertainer to make his job easier.

Beach Entrepreneurs:
Day and night, they were there trying their best to sell to you. Putting things in your hand and trying to walk away saying they will come collect a tip later. A couple got angry after we said no and refused to take something they try to put in your hand and some just straight standing over you until you acknowledge them. I understand tourism is how many make their money so i'm not really bothered by the efforts only wish i had a more uninterrupted view of the ocean. Many times, when sitting even with your eyes closed they would stand and wait for them to open just a slit then approach. At times my experience was of security often telling someone to go then both the security and the individual awkwardly standing in front of me in silence until one of them walks away. It provided for some laughs for me and my boyfriend.

Pool and Hot Tub:
There is a pool and a hot tub. Maintaining a pool in this climate during the rainy season is difficult and it shows. While free of debris it was a slight bit murky and in need of a good shocking but after finding no peace at the beach we found ourselves retreating to pool side tucked away from stream of offers. It was a nice peaceful area and we enjoyed tucking away beside it.

Special Treat and A la Carte:
Our last night I was surprised with a romantic dinner. A table set up on the beach outside the restaurant with flowers and candles and an a-la-carte meal. Which was amazing. Curry chicken and rice and a large portion too. Led to my table I awaited my love as he carried two glasses of wine and a grin. It was beautiful, and he had arranged that we not be bothered by the many hustlers who parous the beach at night.
Ah well all good things come with a cost and ours was a personal security detail. A beautiful meal with me, my love and the security guard as he stood right beside us talking about his day. Thankfully we are the kind of people that found this amusing and eventually he sat on a bench near us.

Night beach:
Our dinner done and in the dark just before the ocean and behind the permanent umbrellas a crowd of local peddlers gathered. Waiting for guests to pass the overhead lights into the shadows of the beach to sell and bargain. After a long period of time with guests not moving in their direction a light goes out and like predators they swoop in and barrage the guest with requests for drinks from the bar, smokes and offers of whatever they brought to sell. Myself and another guest laugh at the absurdity of this scene unfolding. The light flashes on and with it they slip back into the shadows.

Thus, ends our adventure and seals our decision to travel to a place where the ocean can be looked on in peace and the crashing of the waves remain uninterrupted by faint pssts… of passing entrepreneurs.

Overall:
I will say it was an experience I’m glad I had. Picturesque and simple tucked away next to the most beautiful ocean and with the most amazing food and staff. The hotel needs work but if you don’t care about the comfort of the bed or the pressure of the shower then I would say hell yes. If you don’t mind tap beer and basic drinks do it. We picked up wine at the duty free to bring along. The food is great and there is plenty and the ocean and beach beyond beautiful. Always plenty of chairs. Be mindful of the hustlers never accept anything with a promise of them coming back for a tip later. Say no thanks, be safe, respect and keep walking.
Most importantly we both learned how well we get along, how we laugh off most things and how we prefer certain levels of comfort but hey you get what you pay for and for the price we paid, this hotel did the trick.
Lessons also learned, we will be saving up a little more for our next trip.

I have a more detailed review with some personal experiences that don't really need to be mentioned here on my boyfriends website lol https://www.jasonkynge.com/kyngesqueen/our-first-tropical-vacation

Room Tip: Any room that does not have a connecting door unless of course you want one.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
11  Thank 905Renee75