“Wonderful stay”
other traveller has booked this property

Review of Somewhere West

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Miami, Florida
“Wonderful stay”
Reviewed 7 February 2016 for a stay in February 2016
person found this review helpful

I little bit of information about myself. I am an Executive Producer in Miami, Florida and we are always looking for good locations to shoot our commercials in the Caribbean area. Yes, you would say: “you’re in Miami, so why do you need to go overseas? Well, I can answer that question really easy: Miami does not have cliffs, any waterfalls, does not have any jungle areas, it doesn’t have the best weather during the summer and for that matter, this winter. I wanted to look for a place that gave me plenty of alternatives: beaches, rivers, mountains, cliffs, falls, but most of all: proximity to Miami of not more than 2 hours travel time in order to be able to bring in the needed crew and equipment.
My partners in this search have been Juju Tours and Angela Eastwick. Being a foreigner I went to Negril in December to survey the area and I found them all to be wonderful partners finding falls, cliffs, lagoons and other places I was searching for. I also need to mention that at that time I did NOT stay at Somewhere West deciding that I would keep things “partial” and stayed at Xtabi.
One week ago I returned to see more places and I decided to stay in Somewhere West. I went this time with my Assistant Director in Miami and we stayed there for 3 days. I can only say that the stay was more than we bargained for: Angela and the whole crew where gracious, educated and wonderful. They knew full well that we were not there “just to hang out and smoke pot”: we were working!
We went back “home” after a long day of scouting locations to find that our hosts had everything worked out for us. The pool was a saltwater pool. Yes, I know it will not be the “pristine” chlorine ridden pools that we are used to in the US, but I am a Caribbean kid who grew up swimming in the pool of the Havana Riviera that WAS a salt water pool and was not the “toilet bowl” chemical ridden pools that you find in the US.
We came back to our home base elated and feeling that more trips to Jamaica, Negril and Somewhere West are in the horizon. Renting the whole house for a US crew or a family gathering is a wonderful alternative to the "all-inclusive" tourists traps around the area.
Did I mention that my scouting photographer, Roan Robinson was also great?

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The overall feeling of being at "home away from home"
Liked least: Getting there was difficult first time. After that, it was a breeze.
Travelling group: Solo
Large groups
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Molly C
Chicago, Illinois
“Beautiful Views, Beautiful Rooms, Great Hostesses”
Reviewed 30 November 2015 for a stay in June 2015
person found this review helpful

This was our first trip to Negril, and we could not have chosen a better place to stay! The view, rooms, property ---all GORGEOUS! Somewhere West was just where we needed to go to relax and unwind from our busy lives and three young children.

Angi is an amazing hostess, told us of great places to eat, and provided transportation to all the locations we desired to go.

O'Neil made us one of the best meals we had our entire stay!!!!!!!!

We hope to head back to Negril and Somewhere West this summer!

Friends getaway Large groups
Bill S
Seattle, Washington
“A little piece of heaven in Negril, Jamaica”
Reviewed 14 November 2015 for a stay in November 2015
people found this review helpful

We recently returned from our 4th trip to Negril, Jamaica in the past 25 years. In the past we've stayed on the 7 mile beach, and actually did this time for 4 nights because we were with a large wedding party. But we also sandwiched several nights before and and after the wedding at Somewhere West, an amazing bnb up on the cliffs about 5 miles past the town and beach area. A friend of ours stayed their last Spring and loved recommended it highly to us.
Somewhere West has 4 units, 2 above and 2 below, which overlook a spectacular salt water pool right in front of the ocean. We stayed in an upstairs unit called Indigo Sky, which was meticulously decorated and had everything we needed. The unit was very clean with a firm queen bed, nice kitchen, and very good bathroom with shower. It also had a closet, large dresser, and safe for valuables.
The views from the large balcony overlooking the pool and ocean are beyond description, day and night. Almost every night we were treated to spectacular lightning and thunder shows out over the ocean as we desperately tried to catch it all on our cell phone cameras. The pool is lovely and warm, and you can actually climb into the warm ocean for a swim if you're careful and the waves aren't too rough. A mask and snorkel are a good idea and I believe they are in the process of having a ladder installed to make ocean access easier.
The property is run by Angi, with her boyfriend, O'Neil, who is an amazing chef. They are assisted by some staff, plus their 5 super fun dogs, Candy, Skinny, Bobo, Ackee, and Curry, who protect the property and are lots of fun. We never found it necessary to rent a car, but some people might. I find driving in Jamaica to be hazardous at best, and would rather use a taxi. Angi and O'Neil provide very reasonable taxi services too. We did rent bicycles for 2 days at $10 a day down the road just a bit.
Somewhere West is much quieter and secluded than the main beach area, but only minutes away from the beach or Rick's Cafe and many restaurants with spectacular food and views. Angi is very detail oriented and honest and trustworthy to a fault. She loves Jamaica and is constantly working to improve the property. O'Neil cooked a magnificent dinner on our last night and served it to us on our balcony over the ocean.
The best compliment I can give is that we will definitely be back soon to stay again at Somewhere West, where Angi and O'Neil treated us like family.

Liked best: Everything
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Never wanted to leave”
Reviewed 4 September 2015 for a stay in August 2015
people found this review helpful

Somewhere West was the highlight of our trip to Jamaica. The pictures certainly do not do the place justice; the rooms are beautifully decorated and the views from the pool/backyard area are unbeatable. O'Neill and Angela were both such gracious hosts in addition to the rest of the Somewhere West family who made us feel at home immediately. The entire place is so well thought out from the island interior decoration to the USB cable charger and every detail in between. The best part of the entire place is definitely the pool. During the day time and the night time, it is a true treat to hang out in the saltwater pool under the beautiful Jamaican sky as waves crash around you (sometimes even on you if the tides are right!). Truly an unforgettable experience - thank you, Somewhere West! We will absolutely be back. One love.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The saltwater pool and the family atmosphere
Your age range 18-24
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
Large groups People with pets
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
baoberry
Toronto, Canada
“Amazing family vacation”
Reviewed 28 August 2015 for a stay in August 2015
people found this review helpful

***I actually rented this property on Airbnb but the time window for leaving a review on that site has lapsed (sorry Angela!). ***
I stayed here in early August, we were a large family group of 12 adults. I have so much to say about Angela, the property and the food...if you want the short version: you will not be disappointed, it's gorgeous, the food is fantastic and if you'll love the location if you want to stay away from the main strip and have a car.
The long version:
Rooms: I saw some really cute pics Angela had on her posting but am usually prepared to be underwhelmed in real life. Not so with Somewhere West--it was actually nicer in person. The view from each "apartment" (bedroom, bathroom and kitchenette) is fantastic--overlooking the pool and the sea. Immaculately clean. Well stocked kitchens if you intend to cook. Very beachy-chic decor. One thing is that only 2 of the apartments currently have A/C. I stayed in one of the upper rooms with no A/C but was fine at night with the fan and a mosquito net. Each room had a deck/balcony and we dined on the lower deck each night. Angela was nice enough to put together some tables for us to dine al fresco.

Grounds: the pool is definitely the highlight of the grounds. The water was always warm...just slide right in! It is a saltwater pool and I believe it is fed by the ocean it overlooks. We even had a few waves splash into the pool (cool!), but the sea was relatively calm during our stay. There is a little alcove in the pool that you can sit in and feel like you're perched out over the ocean. It was my favourite place. At night, turn the pool lights off, lie back and do a bit of star-gazing. It's so dark on that stretch, that we could see the milky way tracking from one horizon to the other and the occasional shooting star. Off to the side of the pool are some rock pools that you can explore if you have good water shoes...tonnes of snails, crab and other sea critters.

Food: WOW. Angela's boyfriend O'Neil cooks up some very tasty fare. He has previous experience in the industry and it shows. Best rice and peas I've ever had--it's not just another side dish when O'Neil makes it with fresh coconut! We had saltfish and ackee, brown stew fish, lobster, jerk chicken pasta....we decided on our menu each day with Angela and then O'Neil would do the shopping. Some of us even tagged along with him one day to the fruit market. Everything is fresh and made to order. Since we had such a large group, we just hired O'Neil for the 3 days ($100/day) and then paid for the groceries. It worked out to be about $70 per person for 3 days worth of meals--we supplied our own alcohol for drinks. You can also order a la carte if you won't be eating all meals at the villa.

Location: far from the main resort stretch, but that can be a good thing. It's about a 5 min drive to Rick's Cafe. Definitely need a car.

Staff: We interacted mostly with Angela. She runs a tight ship! Super detail oriented, and no request will go unanswered. She takes great pride in presentation--our meals were always laid out like a magazine spread. O'Neil was great too...I think we may have overwhelmed him with all of our odd requests and questions but he was so accommodating. He even ran around town looking for lobster one day for us when we decided we wanted to have it added to our dinner last minute. He was grinning ear to ear when he came back from his successful mission :)

To sum up, I can't say enough about this place...it's magical. It's still a work in progress as there is work being done on the pool deck and plans to install A/C in all of the units...but it is well on its way. If Angie and her staff keep this up, this will be the worse kept secret in Negril in no time!

Liked best: The food
Liked least: Nothing
Travelling group: Large Group
Your age range 25-34
Families with young children Large groups
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing