“Favorite Place to Vacation” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rio Vista Resort

Rio Vista Resort
Greenville, Texas
“Favorite Place to Vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

The Rio Vista is our favorite place to vacation. We love sitting on the deck and seeing the river on one side and the ocean on the other side. Sharon Miller is a wonderful host and a fabulous cook as well. She and her staff provide exceptional service at a very affordable price. Rooms and cottages are nicely maintained and exceptionally clean.

When in the area I can't imagine staying anywhere else. I am looking forward to our next trip already!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Maryann M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
St. Petersburg, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

Our villa faced the deep blue ocean waters. Ohmigoodness! I didn't want to leave. Our bed was soooo comfortable. The only drawback was that I woke up in the middle of the night and saw a lizard on the ceiling. I am deathly afraid of lizards, but even I'm able to accept that. Afterall, I am in the Tropics. Very nice, for those who want to just get away and relax and enjoy the gorgeousness of the Portland coastline...

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank karbAtlanta
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2011

This is a small, family run hotel - the family are wonderful hosts! Nothing is too much trouble and they will see that you get anything you need for a pleasant stay - you just have to ask! It is very affordable and has a "laid back" " island time" atmosphere. Rooms are clean and perfectly adequate as a base to explore the surrounding area. The view from the gazebo over the Rio Grande is stunning! Would definitely go back!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Mags51_11
West Lafayette, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2011

Returned to Rio Vista again this year with 15 Purdue University students. Once again the rooms were nice and Sharon's cooking was excellent! I would definitely recommend this to anyone who wants to experience the more relaxed part of the island.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank btalbert2003
Ramsey, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2011

My hubby and i have been here several times now its a very beautiful and relaxing place to stay. the local trees and flowers show their brilliant colors. you see lizzard which wont bother you in fact we found them comical and very fast,
The food you eat there is cooked by Ms Sharon shes the owner/chef you will not go away hungry or disappointed, the rest of the staff;Ms B, Ms Odett,MsCheryl and Ms Cyndi can help you locate most anything they can also suggest the local sites to see THANKS VERY MUCH, and we mustnt forget Eric he cares for the grounds and gets the coconuts and jamaican apples daily.
MsB, or M s Cyndi welcomes you when you check in. Ms Cheryl and M Odett keeps you rooms clean if you need towels or anything for your room they always do it with a smile

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank aja8
England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2011

My hotel reservation was for the 11th & 12th of December 2010.

My husband and I were allocated to room 7 for the 2 night duration, which is opposite the pool and very close to the outdoor eating area, which offers a excellent view of the mountains and river .

On arrival the hotel was very silent, but we were greeted by the resort owner and warmly inducted to the resort .

Our room was very small, with a low dresser and 1 chair. We were given a jug of iced water on arrival and had available equipment to make hot drinks, but no products (fair enough, we can and did buy our own) for the price per night, one tea bag or a sachet of coffee would have been great for any guest on arrival, in particular those that have had a long journey and arrived late in the night, just enough to get the guest going (considering this hotel is in the heart of Blue Mountain it is not a big ask)

i fully understood that this resort was not a 4 - 5 star hotel on booking, not alarmed to such an extent when there was no security on arrival. However when the door to our room would not lock as it had ceased up by the recent heavy rain, and having some difficulties in loacating staff within the reception area and all the light had been turned off began to cocern me. I eventually found the owner, who then tried to fix it but could not initially and then said not to worry, I could sleep with it unlocked,!!! which I clearly stressed I would do no such thing. She (unhappily) returned with some product similar to WD40 and the lock was fixed!!. I must mention that the entrance to your room is through double door, one that is a grill and the second is glass. To lock the gril is with a a padlock, so if there was a fire in your room - your in trouble should you become unable to open the door yourself ( please note this is a reflectiononroom 7 and i cannot account for the other rooms)

To cut the reflection of my stay short i have inserted the below extract from a letter written to the owners to raise my concerns about the quality and standard of my stay...................

"On awakening from my second night of stay I was surprised to find that I had received a number of bites to the left side of my abdomen and chest area, to such a degree that my skin was blood shot in particular to the chest/ left breast area. My initial thought on assessment was that I had been badly bitten by mosquitoes. However after checking out from your resort and approx 24 hours post bite appearance, the area were more red, itchy, bloodshot and breast area swollen and uncomfortable, to such that I was required to seek medical advice.

I was assessed and informed that what I thought was mosquito bites was in fact 'Bed Bug' bites, which required steroid cream and oral antihistamines. I am very disappointed and disgusted that this is an outcome of staying at the resort. I accept that the situation may have been exacerbated by the heavy rain fall that kept us confined to a room with one chair for 2 persons, and the resort having very little other facilities in such weather circumstance. This resulted in staying within the room and laying on the bed to either watch TV or read for the best part of the day, however this is not acceptable.

The situation in terms of the ‘Bed bugs’ needs to addressed immediately, as I am sure more knowledgeable guests, who experience what I did on awakening will bring it to your immediate attention, and possible demand some form of compensation. Had I known that the cause was bed bugs, I would no doubt have done this.

Again, with regards to room 7, the mosquito net is only partially fit for its purpose, as I was required to tie knots in the net (look to the left side of the net, I am sure the knot will still be there) as there were holes in the net that was letting the blighters in – hence that was why I initially thought my bites were mosquitoes

I feel that I must share with you also the quality of the Breakfast on the Monday morning. After having an enjoyable breakfast on the Sunday morning, we opted to have the same again the following morning. The following morning standard of breakfast was significantly below the previous morning, same basic breakfast, with new ingredients added to the ackee and salt fish I.e. thyme which spoilt it, cooked in a strange tasting oil or butter, and the absence of dumplings and a pile of banana in compensation, coffee was bitter as hell. We did raise it with the waitress.

Finally I think that it was a poor show to your customers, that though the occupancy of the hotel at the time of our booking was low, most of the lights in reception were off; no staff around,,what appeared to be a bar area was closed / no visual products there was no life in that area at all. The following morning the lady on reception advised that the CD player was broke when we got so board with the rain holding us hostage to the room, and the playing cards we found were worn and tatty. Your hotel ambiance/message was, ‘we are not going to waste any electric, effort for so few guests’ and I am convinced that it was not a chef that cooked that dreadful breakfast on the Monday morning

There is no doubt that your hotel is in a picture position, and has an authentic Caribbean feel, you have some good reviews on the key trip advisor website, which is why I chose this hotel"

Readers, I can overlooke luke warm showers and poor water flow, i can overlook that there is no ventalatiion in the rooms c/o painted over, the sheets were not changed, bed not made until late afternoon i understand that the rain is not thier fault, even the attempt to overcharge me for the second (awful) breakfast, and the poor quality TV (as you get what you pay for) but bed bugs - no way.

My advice to people thinking of going there, if beg bugs don't bother you,hit and miss meals and lack of hospitatility then you will be fine, if not avoid.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
7 Thank sky09
Brampton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2010

This review is long overdue. I stayed at the Rio Vista on September 14th, 2009 for two nights with my husband (BF at the time) so we could explore Portland. The good: the locationbeing close to many of the sites we checked out, inlcuding bamboo rafting on the Rio Grande River, Frenchman's Cove beach-one of the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen, boating on the Blue Lagoon-very pretty, and Boston Bay Jerk-yummy jerk lobster. It also has a great view-the eating area overlooks the Rio Grande River. The bad: We stayed in a room, not a villa. It was okay except for the bed and the bathroom. We thought we were getting a king size bed, but it was actually just two beds pushed together which moved and separated at times. The other issue was the bathroom. It was the type of room that didn't have the roof actually attached to the walls and so as you could imagine I had to share the bathroom with all kinds of bugs and lizards. If you don't mind this then this place is great for the value. However our room did not look anything like the pics. Unfortunately I didn't take any of my own to share. I'd recommend this hotel to friends that I know don't mind bugs and lizards-so none of them!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple