“Bait and Switch with a lovely ending”

Royal Decameron Club Caribbean
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Boston
“Bait and Switch with a lovely ending”
Reviewed 18 February 2012

I just returned from a week in Jamaica and was booked at this hotel. I had read reviews and knew there were lots of complaints about the FRENCH ANIMATION TEAM residing (taking over) the resort but decided to book anyway. Upon arrival I was told by management that the hotel was overbooked (the French have apparently taken over the resort) and that I was being offered an upgrade at a different resort 5 minutes away. They did this to hundreds of people. I was angry at first, but there was nothing I could do, so I went to the new resort called the Decameron Fun Carribean. It was fantastic. The people working there (all Jamaicans except for management of course) were wonderful. The place was spotless, the food was excellent and the entertainment professional and different each night. So even though this is a clear bait and switch it was wonderful. Congratulations to the Jamaican people for making my holiday a superb one.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank pat121754

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (918)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Sheffield
Reviewed 17 February 2012

Brief: rustic, low rise, small, good reviews.
Travel background: have been lucky to travel to alot of wonderful places, Thailand, LA, Las Vegas, Jamaica twice previously (stayed at Couples Tower Isle) all over Europe...
We are: mid 30's, like nice food, relaxed atmosphere, quiet scene and early nights..quite boring!

Background
Admittedly like my nice hotels and don't usually go below a 4*. We saw the RDCC and loved it straight away, the unique cottage style accomodation sold it us us straight away and we booked in Sept 11, reviews were excellent and ranked 2 in Runaway bay. Trip Advisor is my bible but I have learnt a vaulable lesson this time as it can also be a curse!
I read all the reviews prior to going (sad i know) and then around Dec saw worrying reviews, very mixed mainly about the 'French Invasion" This worried us so much, not becuase of the French per se, but because of the addition of Club Lookea to the hotel, which made it sound like the hotel had completely changed and lost it's Jamaican vibe. We were so worried we wrote a letter to Thomson head office, rang the company, emailed the hotel and looked at alternatives. I'm so gald we stuck to our instincts and went. We had the most amazing holiday!

Having previously stayed twice at Couples Tower Isle this holiday would take some beating but RDCC wins hands down and if you offered me Couples or RDCC now, i'd choose RDCC no questions asked-i surprised even myself!
Check in was quick and simple (we had prepared a speech/plan in the event of things going wrong, very aprehensive upon arrival) we were greated by friendly reception staff, a rum punch and given our room, to our delight we had been upgraded (booked a garden cottage) to a beach cottage! Thank you Diane for this.
I love everything about this hotel, the cottages are unique and beats any hotel room with marble bathroom, fluffy slippers and complimentay shampoo...we wanted real and rustic and that's what we got. Some reviews stated it was noisy but your sleeping under the stars (virtually) surely it's only "put a smile on your face" stuff...it was for us! The cottage was large, massive bed, big bathroom, big walk in storage area, clean and loads of space. Shower was amazing, hairdryer great. A/C was really cold and ceiling fan was more than adequate.
Maid cleaned daily, fresh towels and fresh flowers-a lovely touch, we tipped her $2 a day.
All cottage are lovely and I would have been happy with any, it's much quieter in the gardens, yes there were dogs barking to the rear. We visited the courtyards after reading so much expecting dungeon style hell hole....it's actually quite nice! Location isnt great as it behind the gidt shop in entrance and the cottages are much nicer. Hibiscous suites also looked lovely.

Beaches are just lovely, clean, raked sand, again can't understand the complaints?! 5 beautiful coves spread out giving a "never that busy" feel to the complex.Water is shallow and warm and on sunny days vey clear but is murky on windy days. Great snorkelling, the cove to the right of the Jetty bar is the best IMO.

Food is wonderful, and again! can't understand the complaints!? The review that sticks in my mind is "if you like your beef and yorkshire pudding you arnt going to like Jamaican night" eh!!? Your in Jamaica, Carribean food is fab, try it all....jerk, bammies, akee and saltfish, plantain, fritters etc....nom nom nom. Always replenished, in two weeks we ever found anything empty or cold.
Breakfasts were great, lots of variety, hot, cold, pastries, breads, fruit. Coffee is wonderful.
Lunch...good buffet or the delta snack bar for lovely Jerk chicken.
Evening...Jamaican night on a Wednesday, Carribean night on a Saturday, our favourites..just wish I could eat more as it was lush!
Only ate in the al a carte's once each as we liked the buffet so much. Seafood was ok, nice to be served and Thai I wasnt too bothered about...I'm in Jamaica I want to eat Jamaican!
There is a great resident band who play every night at lunch and dinner.

Drinks-all top brand liquers, good measures (too good actually) no skimping and service is quick and always with a smile.
Everywhere is so clean, staff are always busy cleaning and tidying. It's the staff that make this hotel, they are wonderful and so friendly.
The gounds and gardens are very green and so pretty, there are hammocks dotted around which is very romantic. There are also peacocks.
The adult pool was fab, very quiet and tranquil. The main pool is more noisy and where all the entertainment happens, we didt go there.

French
Yes there are alot of French, Club Lookea signs around the hotel but it did not affect our holiday in any way. There were no big groups causing trouble, yes people sat together but so did alot of British and Canadians. No stealing of sun loungers. Everyone was friendly and we always said hello in both English and French-this goes along way and we found they were more receptive. Entertainemnt is done in both English and French but the teams work flawlessly together and have it off to a fine art. I could niggle and say on occcassions it did get a little irritating but in no way ruined anything. It did help that two of the French team (Jonad and Jerome) were extremely gorgeous so I was happy to listen and watch (sorry darling!!)
The loudest guests were actually the young British who made me cringe at times! Just to clarify the complaints arn't about the French guests but about the volume of guests, as with any large group arriving.
On the last Friday 120 arrived and if i'm honest it was overwhelming. It was just too busy and turned the resturant into a canteen. Lots of children and young people arrived too (start of half term) and with it came a big,red furry monkey (not a squirrel) at dinner to take the kids to a kids club, i personally didnt like this and felt it degraded the hotel turning into a butlins style.....I understand Decameron need to fil rooms (without the French it was dead) but these little things spoil at fantastic hotel.NB- dont book around half term if this niggles you!
We didnt get involved in the entertainemnt during the day although people did come round and ask. We watched some of the night entertaiment which was good but often would go to the Jetty Bar, have a few drinks and go to bed early-Rock n Roll!
The French do congrigate on the Jetty Bar from 7pm-7.45pm so if it is going to annoy you avoid it as this time, on the plus the dining room is pretty empty due to this so maybe eat then?
If you really want to avoid the French altogether then book May-November.

Trips
We didnt meet the rep, we organised ours privatley with Paul Williams, we spent a full and a half day with him, we did the real Jamaica, visited a local school with supplies we'd donated, Browns Town, Dunns River $20 entrance fee and you dont need a guide, The blue hole is worth a visit if your in Ocho Rios end (great for diving and jumping into a 25ft and 40ft pool, no entrance fee just a tip to boy who helps there) Enchanted Gardens was a lovely trip, lovely waterfalls, again $20 entrance fee (we found most things are $20 entrance fee!!)
It was my boyfriend's birthday whilst we were there and I organised a private horse ride with Hooves which was with a private guide, riding in the sea and then jerk and champagne on the beach...lovely half day would throughly reccomend, it was $200.
At the hotel you can order a birthday cake but I didnt know this, you have to do it 24 hours in advance, sadly I was too late. They did promise to decorate a table for dinner but this didn't happen.

A visit to Lobster Dave's if you like seafood but probably best to go with a local or a guide and agree a price beforehand as it is expensive.
Also a trip to Scotchies for amazing Jerk everything, love it and cheap.

Notes to managment/wish list
Thank you for a wonderful holiday we throughly enjoyed everything and think RDCC is more a 4* than a 3* (minus the club lookea mascot!)
Fridge in rooms
NO smoking in all eating areas even outside.
The Frech Club Lookea man who talks on stage on a Thursday night, could you please expalin to non french speaking guests what he is doing and saying as this annoyed quiet a few of us, i dont mind him addressing the CL guests but at least tell us what's he's saying, he talks for about 10 minutes, we presume about check outs for the Friday?

Would we return? Most definatley. I wouldnt stay anywhere else on that side of the island. I didn't think Couples could be beaten and have raved about it for years but i had a better 'Jamaican' holiday at RDCC so for me, you have beaten your 5* competition!

Please feel free to ask any questions, book it you won't be dissapointed! Irie Mon!!

Melissa & Michael, cottage 13 xx

Room Tip: Beach cottages are great for the experience but can be noisy, we loved ours. All the garden cottage...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
19 Thank zipy77
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 17 February 2012

We just got back from 2 weeks at this hotel but were disappointed with the snorkeling and beach - it was very windy this year and the ocean was very murky. We could not do any snorkeling. The glass-bottom boat was also broken the whole time and we could not go to the reef to snorkel. We went to Montego Bay for the last few days and the ocean was very clear there and we snorkelled right off the beach.

We stayed in one of the cottages and it was very comfortable. Our friends stayed in the Courtyard rooms and they were bitten by mosquitoes there. The cottage area had no insects and the gardens are beautiful there.

The buffet was very good and had a wide choice of entrees. They even had chocolat croissants for breakfast.

We enjoyed it there but we would verify the state of the ocean before going again as we are avid snorkellers.

Room Tip: I would never stay in the Courtyard rooms - it is worth paying more for a cottage.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank LISETTE155004
Harlow, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2012

We got back from Jamaica a week ago to find our internet crashed so have had to wait to put this review on. The Royal Decamaron in Runaway Bay was totally amazing! It was exactly like everything we read in the brochure and researched on the internet. We booked it some 7 or 8 months ago and at the time the reviews were really good. However, looking at them again just prior to going we were alarmed by some of the stuff written on them and were a bit worried about going. When we got there we got a fantastic reception, so much help from the girl on the desk, and a welcoming fruit cocktail brought to us while we checked in. We had booked a hut on the beach and that is exactly what we got. The accommodation was fantastic, comfortable beds and such a lot of space and everything we needed, right on the beach! The beaches were so nice, the sea safe for children, really lovely. There seems to have been some concerns about the French taking over the site, well that's not true. Yes, there are a lot of French guests there but we found them all friendly. They have their own team of reps but the French reps and the Jamaican reps have intergrated so well and work wonderfully together. they are all so helpful and such a lot of fun! The shows they put on together in the evenings were so good, we thought the Jamaican entertainment team's dancers absolutely fantastic, so professional. The food was really good, so much variety, buffet style, comfortable restaurant; you also get the choice of Tai or Fish restaurants which have to be booked in the morning, but at no cost. Their food was more 'a la carte' and really tasty. We have never seen such a clean holiday complex. The whole place is constantly being cleaned; the gardens cleared and tidied, the beach cleared and raked and the bars and restaurant areas spotless. The gardens are so beautiful. Every member of staff - gardeners, waiters, barmen, maids, porters, reception, absolutely everyone, were so cheerful and friendly. what was also nice was that the waiters, bar staff etc were always singing and dancing and cracking jokes etc; made for such a relaxed atmosphere. I personally cannot wait to go back. Am saving hard........

Room Tip: If you like the beach and are not worried about a little noise, go for a beach cottage. If you like...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
10 Thank Carol T
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 11 February 2012

I had been reading the reviews for this resort from the time I booked 3 months ahead.I was concerned about the overbooking.Well it happened to me.I was booked to stay in a garden cottage,emailed ahead to request close to the adult pool.I arrived 7 p.m.,no cottages available.They said they gave me an upgrade to a better room in the courtyard.The room was large and quite nice but located at the far back corner on the second floor.No lighting near entrance at all.The locks on the door inadequate,no deadbolt or safety chain.Balcony looked into courtyard,not much to look at.Room far from everything in resort.I checked at reception first thing the following morning asking for a cottage.Was told to come back later when supervisor on duty.Checked again after lunch,was referred to guest relations.They seemed to think that the upgraded room was sufficient compensation.They then offered to move me to a new property just purchased now called the Royal Decameron Fun Caribbean.They took me over,gave a good tour through the resort.It is a newer resort with much nicer rooms.I chose to move to get a better room with good locks on the door.Speaking with other guests afterwards that were also moved to the Fun Caribbean, it seems they were clearing out the Club Caribbean and leaving it just for the guests from France!I only had 3 meals at the RDCC which were average.I would not go back to this resort. The small cove beach areas are poor.I love to walk along the beach so these resorts just do not have that.The service from the staff is very good.For the Royal Decameron Fun Caribbean-they were not totally prepared for guests with the takeover.No basic info in guest rooms on restaurants,activities etc.Some staff at reception did not have the info either.They were trying to be helpful regardless.I have stayed at several all inclusive resorts and I have never been disappointed with the food until this resort.The a la cartes have a very limited menu.The staff are excellent but the food mediocre.The only thing Italian at the Italian restaurant is the name!!The buffet needs a much better variety of food.Too much fried food altogether.I found the salads the best fare at the buffet.The food kept in warming pans was barely warm and items like pancakes/french toast dried out very quickly.Your food was practically cold by the time you returned to your table.The snack bar also needed more variety on the menu.Overall the food was fair to good.I asked a few times to go out on the glass bottom boat but they always had excuses that they could not go.The pools are great.Staff are friendly and helpful.I also had an issue with the phones at the resort.I asked for the resort number in case of emergency but none of the numbers they gave me ever worked.My friends staying nearby could never get through.I had to call them every time.The price they charge for a day pass is also too pricey $70.00 U.S.I loved Jamaica but would not go back to either Royal Decameron resort.

Room Tip: Rooms at Fun Caribbean do not have balconies which would have been much nicer.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
18 Thank Pat01022011
Reviewed 10 February 2012

Amazing holiday don't believe the bad reviews on here some of these people need to get a life . French team very friendly and encouraged every body to join in. Some people did have problems with rooms . First choice should be more involved in resolving this. If you book this hotel you won't regret it.

• Stayed January 2012
10 Thank fox197
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 6 February 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Royal Decameron for our anniversary. We stayed for a week with an all inclusive deal. The room was decent and the food was okay. The staff was very friendly on a whole, but the fun crew were a little on the uncontrolled side. We were required to sign up for numerous "included" activities, but when we tried to go sailing - it was too windy...the whole weekend (it was better to sit and do nothing than take guests out). We signed up for a local community bike ride - all the participants showed up, but not the guide (they were eventually found hanging out with their boyfriend on staff instead of running the activity). We never actually got to participate in any of the booked activities as they all weren't available for one reason or another. The formal dining meals you could book were nice and it is a good location to take to local attractions (Ocho Rios, Dunns River Falls, Rain Forest, etc.). The nightly entertain was entertaining until the weekly talent show (having my waitress and girl who looks after children's program pelvic thrusting against the stage like strippers and then coming back to serve me food was interesting). It was an inexpensive, last minute getaway for us and you get what you pay for. Probably wouldn't stay there again, but the hotel did match the price.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
65.9 km away
Royal Decameron Montego Beach
Royal Decameron Montego Beach
#25 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Royal Decameron Club Caribbean? Share your experiences!