“Don't beleive all you read”

Royal Decameron Club Caribbean
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Bolton, United Kingdom
“Don't beleive all you read”
Reviewed 22 March 2012

WE booked for the Royal Decam last February for my daughters wedding this Feb....on checking TA we were worried about the changes people had experienced and the new French entertainment teams not liking the Brits.... it was just as good as 4 years ago when we went..Yes there was a French contingent but unlike us Brits they "tried" to speak to us in English, they included us in their frivolities and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The Jamaican entertainment team though far surpassed them and made our hols they even came to find us to say goodbye on our last day. Well done to Rocky, Kem-Kem and Princess we hope that you're still there next year when we come back.
We were offered an upgrade to the Fun Club, which was about ten minutes up the coast, which we declined the move but went for a couple of days out there. Again the staff were brill the majority of other guests were American and Canadians, who again took us into their fun activities. All I can say is that we really enjoyed the time we were there. We did the trip to Dunns River Falls this time and had a brill time everyone helped everyone else up the slippery rocks. Make your holiday your own, its not for everyone but relax and chill thats what we did...no problem...

Room Tip: Garden rooms near to the jetty bar.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
11 Thank Anne J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (900)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Halifax
Reviewed 20 March 2012

We stayed at the RDCC March 12-19 with a party of five, including three adults and two young teens. Our garden cottages were not available upon arrival and we were sent to the courtyard rooms for two days (of our six day vacation). We were offered a free upgrade to their sister resort the Fun Club but declined. We had to insist that we had paid for a cottage but were given the runaround for two days. The interaction with reception staffs over this overbooking issue (which we were aware of prior to our arrival) was fraught with tensions no one needs while on a vacation. We were eventually moved to beach cottages which were lovely however my family was given a hut right next to an area under construction therefore it was quite noisy from 8 am until the workers finished for the day. We did receive a free safe and tour to Dunn's Falls courtesy of the resort but had to keep going back to the desk to ask for details and remind staff of these promises. We never received the wine as offered as part of this compensation and we found that the better half of our short vacation was spent sorting this booking problem out which was unfortunate. Once you get a chance to relax at RDCC it becomes evident that you have found your slice of heaven. The Jamaican staff at this resort are generous and good-hearted people striving to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. The property and grounds were constantly kept clean and groomed. The food at the buffet was excellent and the service impeccable. We took a glass bottom boat tour (included) and enjoyed the five man-made bays this gorgeous beachfront had to offer. We found the excursions to Mystic Mountain and the Fall's to be adventurous and just a short ride to Ochos Rios. The gardens are truly beautiful littering the bungalows with groves of mango and banana, almond and palm trees, and hibiscus. The resident cats and peacocks add so much character to this quaint place as they are welcome guests as well! If you listen to the green tree frogs, morning doves, and all this paradise offers you will find yourself in a little bit of heaven. That is if you are lucky enough to get situated early and can stay in a cottage on this resort. It is clear that the resort is in a contract with Look voyages, a French tour company, and the RDCC honours these bookings first and foremost.

• Stayed March 2012
8 Thank Callothewild
Mansfield, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2012

I booked my holiday way back in Feb 2011, and following the reviews all year everything was fine, then come Jan 2012 the bad reports started to come in. I was very concerned to say the least as this was a very special holiday for my husband and I, as it was our Ruby wedding anniversary. I had upgraded and paid for a sea view cottage.
I contacted the holiday company five times in all and they denied there were any problems.
I emailed the hotel three times with no reply.
I seriously considered changing the hotel, but as the holiday company were saying there wasn't a problem, I would have had to pay 90% of the price of this holiday and then pay for another one......no choice there then!
Well everything was absolutely perfect!!
On arrival everything was ready and waiting:- booking forms etc, a trio of musicians playing and singing to welcome us, fruit cocktail drink ready . After signing the registration form I asked what room it was, as I was ready for the battle. The receptionist asked what I had booked, I told her a sea view room, and she replied "yes that's ok ". We were taken to the room, and I couldn't have been happier, everything was at it was expected to be.
On our anniverary, we were treated to a dressed table, and a bottle of champagne.The maid had also worked wonders decorating our room.
Throughout our stay we found every one of the staff to be very pleasant and always ready to help if you needed it.
The whole place was constantly being cleaned including the beach.
Some reviews have complained about the glass bottom boat not going out, well yes there was quite a few days where it did not go out, but the sea was too rough. No complaints there then!
There are lots of lifeguards on duty all day, and again all very efficient, but not losing their friendliness.
Food was always good and plenty of choice. They do need to either buy a better cut of beef or learn how to cook it better though.
Drinks:- never a problem getting a drink, (even without tipping), and they are generous.
The French Invasion. Yes there is no doubt it is there, but as with any other nationality some of them were ignorant others were not.
The entertainment in the evenings was very international. On speaking to other people who had stayed at this resort before, this is where there has been quite a change. I was disapointed with this and expected the entertainment to have more of a 'Jamaican' feel.
The problem seems to be two fold. The Royal Decameron company have taken on the new contract with the French and are making sure they get everything, and then in mid January they took over the other hotel now known as the 'Fun Caribbean'. They haven't got any customers for this hotel yet so they are overbooking here and sending people to that one saying it is an upgrade. Well that is personal opinion. Yes the main pool is bigger and it has a water slide, but the club Caribbean has alot more character.
Would I stay there again?..........Definately
Our holiday was 23rd Feb to 8th March2012

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Maureen K
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 16 March 2012

I took my husband for a surprise 4-day getaway in May-11. We both loved it. Unlike big superclubs, where it seems to take a day to get oriented, we were both instantly relaxed. We lucked out with a cottage right on the beach as well! The room and resort are dated and simple, but very nice, and kept very clean. The gardens are beautiful. The staff were very friendly and accomodating. The food was simple, but always good. There are numerous spots to just sit around, relax, and hang out. For the price you are definitely getting a perfect getaway!

We took a trip to Dunn's River Falls on our own, by hiring a taxi outside the resort. He's at the end of the street in front of a gift store that he also owns. Really nice guy. He dropped us off at the Falls, we left our stuff in his van and he came back at an agreed time. We diverted the walking groups up the falls and just went at our own pace - much better! Then our driver took us to Scotchies Restaurant for real Jamaican eats on the way back. You watch them cook chicken, pork, and fish on the big wood fires. Amazing food and great atmosphere!

We definitely recommend this trip and plan to go again one day!

Room Tip: Book a cottage!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ariel_Ontari0
Panama, New York
Reviewed 16 March 2012

Please believe what others have said about being booked here but upon arrival, they move you to a different hotel. They will do this!!! This happened to us and to 6 other couples we talked to. Actually we never talked to anyone who hadn't booked at the Royal and was relocated. We were all moved to the Fun Caribbean which had no huts, not balconies, tiny beach and terrible food. I had read about this kind of switch on TripAdvisor but still never dreamed this was common policy. We will never go back to Jamaica!! Not only did we not get the right resort but were lied to all the time and taken big time on jewelry at the Gem Palace (not even real diamonds!!).

Room Tip: You will never even get the room you booked!!!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank winterretrea
Sesto Calende, Italy
Reviewed 16 March 2012

We booked this hotel for my daughters wedding. We booked 6 bungalows for the wedding party. I had reviewed the comments about over booking but never expected it to happen to us. We ended up with 4 bungalows. One of our party a 75 yr old man was put in a apartment up 2 flights of stairs near the main road. It took 4 days to move him to a bungalow.
On the second day my son had some money missing from his room. He was going to share our safe but then we relised that by having no safe in his room meant that there could be money lieing about so he ended up getting his own safe. Nothing was done about the missing money. We reported it and then they checked his room and that was the last of it.
Rant over I would highly recomend having your wedding here. We had a really chilled out week before the wedding and thanks to the wedding planner a really stress free wedding.
We really enjoyed staying by the adult pool but a word of warning the signs saying that it was an adult pool are only in English and the French choose to ignore it although there are pictures that explains that children are not allowed. One day a English man complained.
and the familys were removed.
From what I heard they have a contract with the French and they get heaverly fined if they do not have the bungalows for them so the English end up being put in apartments or even changed to there sister hotel. There are loads of Hotels on the island and if you wanted a hotel room or a apartment you could take your pick but if you book a bungalow then you should get one.
The staff and food are excellent.

Room Tip: Bunglalows no 25-34 are the best.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank calende
San Diego, California
Reviewed 14 March 2012

I wanted to post this review to alleviate any fears of people over getting moved to the new sister resort, ie the Fun Caribbean. We originally booked at the Club Caribbean and I had read all of the stories about overbooking and getting moved etc to the new resort and I myself was very worried before we left and almost changed our reservation at the last minute because of it and the bad experiences I was reading.

I don't know about the others experience but for us we arrived and checked in, we were shown the room we would get if we stayed and shown around the resort a bit, then they said they wanted to show us the new resort and that we would get a nicer room there etc. I knew this was coming from reading the reviews so I was not surprised although they did try to pass it off as a very special deal just for us which I knew it was not. Ie a courtyard room in the back was what we had booked at Club Caribbean (at a very cheap price I might add). If we moved to the new resort they said we would get a oceanfront jacuzzi room instead. It was obviously a big push to get us to move, they kept telling us how the new resort was SO much better because of this and that etc. The final decision was ours though and we easily chose the new resort and we were not disappointed. They give you the option to still go back to the club Caribbean at anytime via a free van (and its only a 1 minute drive away) but we never did.

Just don't fret about it, if you get moved, your vacation will not be horrible because of it. Having stayed at some of the more expensive resorts in Jamaica before, ie Couples, Sandals etc, I can honestly say that we had a great time at Fun Caribbean and for the price we paid there was no better value. Its no Couples or Sandals of course but at 1/4th the price you can't expect that. The staff was always wonderful and ready to help with anything needed.

Note that at both Royal Decameron resorts there is only Wifi in the lobby and it did go down a few times with no one around to fix it, so keep this in mind if you use your computer a lot.

Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Royal Decameron Montego Beach
Royal Decameron Montego Beach
#23 of 62 in Montego Bay
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,145 reviews

Been to Royal Decameron Club Caribbean? Share your experiences!