Royal Decameron Club Caribbean
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort(Runaway Bay)(Great Value!)
US$587
US$462
Bookit.com
  • Breakfast included
Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica(Runaway Bay)(Great Value!)
US$359
BahiaPrincipe
  • Breakfast included
Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay(Runaway Bay)(Great Value!)
US$415
BahiaPrincipe
US$470
US$298
  • Breakfast included
Club Ambiance(Runaway Bay)(Great Value!)
US$180
  • Breakfast included
Silver Creek Resort(Runaway Bay)(Great Value!)
US$100
US$90
Cardiff Hotel & Spa(Runaway Bay)(Great Value!)
US$132
Villa Sonate(Runaway Bay)(Great Value!)
US$115
US$112
Piper's Cove Resort(Runaway Bay)(Great Value!)
US$85
Franklyn D. Resort & Spa(Runaway Bay)(Great Value!)
US$650
4,066 results
All reviewsjetty barthe cottagesgarden cottagejasmine deltabeach attendantsdunns riveradult poolquiet poolwalk in wardrobemain barentertainment staffthree starnine milegreat holidayholiday makersglass bottom boatjamaican restaurant
Reviewed February 16, 2010

We stayed here for the first 2 weeks of January. Our weather sucked, which of course is not the country or resorts fault! It was cloudy and raining probably 10 out of 14 days, but what can you do? It was still HOT and it didn't stop us in any way, we had a blast!

Airport was good, line ups went fast. Find your bus and don't talk to the locals, they just want tips for holding your bags.

Check in was smooth, they upgraded us to a suite, we went to it because it was late at night and switched to a cottage first thing in the AM. They were fine with it. The suites are nice, but we wanted a cottage. The cottages are basic, but very clean and cozy. Some people we talked to thought the cottages were dirty, in reality they are a bit rundown, but CLEAN.

I don't know what else to say that hasn't been said already? This resort was a blast. Good food, great drinks, awesome staff! The bars are great, your drinks will always be full, the nightly entertainment is fun. They are always trying to get you involved. Just go up and do it, it's all in good fun. They'll only embarass you a little :)

Visit Jerome at the Jetty Bar! We loved him! And George Guy at the Sook Bar, so fun! And Phillip, one of the bellboys, was awesome! What a sweetie!

Marvin from the entertainment crew was the best, he kept us entertained when it was pouring rain!

We did the Negril Sunset Tour and Dunns River. Both were great. If you want a long stretch of beautiful beach, go to Negril! Heaven on earth! We also went to Ochi for the day to shop, better deals on days the cruise ships aren't in. And we went to Margaritaville in Ochi on Monday. It's very dance club like and not at all Margaritaville-like. Go during the day if you want a Jimmy Buffet kinda place!

Buy all your booze at the airport. We bought in Ochi or Negril and it was WAYYY cheaper at the airport!

Because of rough seas, we were not able to take part in the water sports. Boo!

We were also given the opportunity to go to the Riu to Ochi for 3 nights during our second week. We think the RDCC was overbooked. We definately preferred the RDCC. The Riu was nice and fancy, but I didn't know I was in Jamaica! There was NOTHING Jamaican about this place!

This is truly a unique resort. Every night after the show, they call people up on stage who are leaving the next day. They put on a tune, give you some bubbly and wave you good bye. It's so touching and personal.

I have never left a resort almost in tears and hugging all the staff goodbye. The resort is so small and personal you really get to know the staff!

I fell in love with Jamaica and will be back! I would love to go Negril because of the beautiful beaches, so I would probably do a week in Negril and a week at the Decameron.

All in all, go to this reosrt with an open mind. It's not the Riu or a Sandals. It's a small, basic, very Jamaican, amazing resort! Have fun!

3  Thank Kristine04
Reviewed February 15, 2010

We arrived at rdcc and were taken to our cottage, #126 at the back of the complex. our friend who came with us was not so lucky. They had apparently over booked and he was put in the courtyard. His room was clean with new AC so the two nights he stayed weren't bad at all for him. The courtyard rooms even have mini fridges, the cottages dont.

The beach- There are four or five man made coves for swimming. Most are a bit rocky and with sea weeds. our favorite cove was the one to the far left if your facing the ocean, no rocks or weeds until you get far from shore.

Food and drink- The food at the buffet was good, we always found something to eat with plenty of Jamaican style dishes. We did try the two a la carte restaurants and both were fantastic. Plenty of liqour to drink, usually mixing cocktails with mostly booze. So if you dont like strong drinks you better tell them.

Entertainment staff/Cleaning staff- They did try hard to keep everyone entertained including grabbing you from your seat to dance or play volleyball. Frisky and Frosty were hilarious and they both can dance quite well. The ladies who cleaned the rooms were great also. They would stop at our cottage in the morning and if we weren't ready they would come back in the afternoon to clean.

We did do a few tours around ocho rios and runaway bay including 9 mile, dunns river falls and beach horseback riding. We would recomend all of these to anyone just be prepared for the men at 9 mile as they do try to sell stuff you might not be into. We also went to a market in ocho rios, it was a bit of a shock for us because shop owners will grab your arm and pull you to their store. This can be good because you can barter with them, not always possible in the gift shop.

Runaway Bay is definitly for more of the laid back crowd. If you are young or like to party all night Negril might be a better option for you or Hedo 2 or 3.

In conclusion RDCC is nice with some great staff but you might have trouble at the front desk. If you are booked at this hotel make sure you email them a week or so before you arrive so when you get there your not dissapointed for not getting your room.

Any questions or comments about my review just message me.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Blinkdude
Reviewed February 15, 2010

This was our first time being repeat customers. We had a plan to continue on to the other islands and other resorts, but unfortunately/fortunately, we found our spot and I don't think I want to move.

We arrived after a few Red Stripes and a jerk stop to be greeted with the usual punch and smiling faces. We spent $24 for our safe, and left my credit card number for incidentals. We were not planning on calling anybody so we didn't leave the $20 for the phone. The bellhop loaded up our bags, and off to our cottage we went. It wasn't the one we requested, but it was a few doors down and identical to the one we had last year, so we were happy. Our room had a fridge and a second floor with two beds pushed together. I used it as a place to lay out my clothes as the closet space is limited.
After getting comfortable, we went to see what changed in the 12 months since being there.

Changes:

Peacocks! Two pairs. They love breadsticks!

Cats. Yes, there were cats last year, but it seems they have multiplied. 3 kittens will come running at you like football players if called correctly and if you have a piece of the gross breakfast sausage.

Jetty Bar. This was the biggest let down by far. My favorite thing to do was to feed the fish after dinner, and they built out the jetty in a way that the water doesn't flow under the bar. No more fish. :( You could see dozens. I missed that the most. I recommend they put lights at the bottom of the extended piers they build so they fish can be seen at night. They are clearly visible during the day. A few people were even trying to fish off the piers.

Hammocks! The had one fully in by the time we left, and were digging for a number of other locations. At least five were marked out while we were there.

Faces! Most memorable would be the female bartenders. They only had one last year. There are two younger females working there now. I enjoyed Antoinette. Very nice and polite, a little shy, but she's working her way out of her shell, and I can tell she will be great.

Issues:

No major issues this year, except with JTL Tours. AGAIN. Last year, we were made to check out an hour early (5 am) because the time was written incorrectly. THIS YEAR, the time was correct, but when we went to see our rep, she crossed it out, and put it an hour later. Luckly, we had packed, and were ready to go when the bus driver called an hour ahead of schedule and asked where we were. With this rushing, we didn't even get to say goodbye.

The tourists. My biggest pet peve was the parents who bring their children to the Jetty Bar after dinner. Specifically, after 8 pm. I don't understand why you would take your child to the bar, and frankly, I found it irritating that I couldn't smoke my cigarette because some two year old was sitting next to me.

We did two excursions this time.

Dunn River Falls: It's a little cheezy having to hold hands with random strangers, and seeing lines, upon lines of tourists is not my cup of tea, but I gotta say, this was a lot of fun. Great workout. Bring your cameras, even if they're not waterproof. The guides will take pictures for you. Wish I brought mine. The little disposable waterproof cameras take really bad quality pictures.

ATV Chukka: Not sure if that's what it was called, but we got to drive little 4x4's up the mountain to a plantation, down to the white river for a dip, and back down the mountain. This activity was done on a rainy day, and shouldn't be done any other way! We got filthy and had to be literally hosed down. It was a beautiful experience. A little mud never tasted so good!

We hit Priory Beach for the Sunday night beach party. Mostly locals. Raggae, Red Stripe, sand, ocean, BASE, shooting stars and aromatic smoke.

British Bulldog is across the street, to the right, past the fence. If you see the gas barrel bbq, you're in the right spot. Jerk Chicken, cheap beer, indoor smoking, pool tables and raggae. Mostly locals. Don't be scared. It's a good time.

We came back to this resort because of the people. Those who didn't know we were coming back, greeted us with hugs and kisses. Like old friends. They showed us their homes, were fed like kings, and showed us what happiness is.

We will be back. Same time. Same place. Hopefully we'll see the same faces. (That's another thing. If you go during the same time, you will see the same faces. Recognized a hand full of couples from last year.) (Oh, and bring earplugs. They have tree frogs, and parties, and you're on the A1.)

4  Thank Kingarella
Reviewed February 14, 2010

We have just returned from our fifth consecutive trip to this hotel complex and are amazed at the improvements that have been made throuhout 2009. A lot of work has been done to protect the beaches from the ravages of the sea, and extra bleachers have been added which are ideal for lying out in the hot sun and spreading yourself out in comfort. Gone is the poor selection of TV programmes,together with the dodgy reception. Now there is cable/satellite TV giving you more than 30 channels to choose from, including sport, drama and children's programmes.
The staff throughout are as friendly as ever, and the couple of minor problems in our cottage when we arrived were dealt with quickly and efficiently - wish we could get that sort of service in the UK!
The food selection is great every day and we have never yet felt the need to try either of the specialist restaurants, although we have heard very good comments about them from other guests.
We were given VIP tee shirts by the hotel because we are regular visitors,and when we were wearing them both in and out of the complex many Jamaicans came up to talk to us about how often we had returned to their country, how we liked it and we were made to feel very welcome everywhere we went.
The weather this year was the best we have ever had with rain falling only during the night and blazing hot sunshine throughout our stay.
TIPS.
Take plenty of Jamaican currency with you as the exchange rates for both pounds and American dollars inside AND outside the hotel was poor.
If you want low factor suncream,like spf 4, take it with you.
Shopping in Ocho Rios is poor, with low quality goods at high prices, even after a good haggling session.The onsight gift shop has much better quality goods at sensible prices and the duty free section at Sangster Airport is very good.
Although the brochures say tipping hotel staff is not permitted, these people are very poor and 300 Jamaican dollars goes a long way to getting you excellent service in the restaurants and making friends with the locals.The ladies cleaning the cottages deserve a special mention as they do a great job and are often overlooked as far as tips go!

Reviewed February 13, 2010

We had a great time. Visiting Bob Marley's house and resting place was the most memorable thing. The beaches, the food, the people we met were the best. I hope to go back someday... SOON! When I got to the hotel after a 9hr flight, I was exhausted and had horrible motion sickness. My original room wasn't going to be ready for hours. After a little bit of coaxing on my part they prepared a room for me and I got a 'suite' instead of a bungalow within the hour I arrived. The room's were kept tidy, the grounds were gorgeous with all the native fruit tree's and beautiful wedding gazebo's. There was 3 coves to chose from. I would definitely go back to this hotel.

Stayed: April 2007, travelled with friends