2,914 results
All reviews wine and cheese tapas restaurant old san juan courtyard restaurant former convent wine reception every evening plunge pool puerto rico open courtyard central courtyard vista room third floor turn down service across the street our honeymoon bottled water
Reviewed February 20, 2018

First you should know that we stayed in El Convento because we had an emergency and had to stay a night in San Juan. We were tired and worried, in no mood to appreciate this hotel. The location is excellent, the staff friendly and helpful, the architecture lovely, the rooms spacious, all attributes of a fine hotel. But the elegance is a little faded. Our room was clean but could have benefitted from a teensy bit more care at the base of the door frame, and a little rust was starting in the bathtub fixtures. The hotel is about half the price of thenSheraton by the pier, but certainly not cheap. Our window looked out to the sea, but the building across the alley by our window was pretty filthy, a condition for which I cannot fault our hotel, but still I could wish it were not so. I also wish the person tuning a motorcycle in the alley had been able to rev a bit more quietly, but for some the roar of the engine is the whole point of owning such a vehicle. Still, if I were in San Juan again I'd be happy to stay here again and enjoy interacting with the friendly and helpful staff.

Stayed: February 2018
Reviewed February 17, 2018 via mobile

We have stayed in El Convento at least a half a dozen times and always loved feeling pampered in this historic and beautiful hotel. We made a reservation in December and arrived a week ago for our five night stay. We dropped off our luggage and wandered off into Old San Juan only to to called by someone at the hotel to tell us they JUST discovered that the room they had assigned to us had a problem with the pipes and there was no other room available. This was at two in the afternoon, so many people had yet to check in. I asked them to reassign our room, but the young woman refused and claimed that everyone had already checked in for the day. We walked back to the hotel and that clearly was NOT true. The problem was that there was a wedding and they also had a tour group staying. There was a coordinator greeting the tour group participants and providing name tags as they checked in. The hotel had clearly overbooked and was not about to break up the tour group.

So there we are on a Saturday in Old San Juan with no place to stay. The young woman offered to send us to Condado Beach, but we had just spent five days there and wanted to stay in Old San Juan. She was less than happy with me and finally arranged for a room in a place called San Juan Suites. It was truly the worst hotel I have ever seen. The rooms had no windows and it was a fire trap, not to mention dark, spartan and downright scary.

El Convento "comped" us by paying for the room from hell, as well as the taxi back and forth. We returned to El Convento the next day for four nights as the tour group was checking out and loading into vans. They upgraded our room and paid for breakfast while we were there, but it wasn't enough to mitigate the feeling the hotel values numbers more than repeat customers. Not sure if we will return next year.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank patriciab1938
Reviewed February 15, 2018

This was my 2nd time staying here (the first time was about 15 years ago) - and it was the perfect choice for my trip. Although not all hotels in the San Juan area are currently open (post hurricane maria), this hotel was on my list of choices regardless and my decision was solidified based on how wonderfully helpful the reservations staff were (especially Coral). I traveled alone and stayed in a 4th floor queen superior. The room was spacious, incredibly comfortable, well appointed, nice sized bathroom and extremely comfortable sheets, pillows and bed. With my little balcony doors open, i did not use the AC at all. (note, my room was beside the pool area....so pool mechanical noises and guests at the pool late-nite can be heard with the AC off and balcony open. also note: even with the balcony open, no mosquitoes joined me). The open-air layout of the hotel is fantastic. The location of the hotel is fantastic. You've got all of gorgeous old san juan at your fingertips. Food, shopping, site seeing, ocean views. And it's safe! traveling alone as a woman i felt 100% comfortable regardless of time of day - walking around town or at the hotel - and even during a city-wide black out. All of the staff were fantastic - especially the bar/restaurant staff, valet and front desk. The happy hour wine & cheese is a great touch. The resident cat stole my heart. The food is very good - if you're there for a few nights, you'll definitely want to venture out (for new choices, and because old san juan is not lacking good eateries). The roof top pool area is very comfortable. The wading pool is fine for cooling off. I understand the hotel has partners along Condado at which you can use the beach. And the other guests were great too. Over the course of the 4 days I had several wonderful conversations with very like minded, interesting people. All in all, a great place to stay and I will definitely return.

Stayed: February 2018
1  Thank pickytravellers2
Reviewed February 14, 2018

I was here for work during the initial recovery form the hurricanes last Fall. I was assigned to the property by my work and I feel very lucky. The front desk, parking lot staff, and bell men all made me feel welcome and went out of their way every day.

The work day ended with a wine and cheese reception every evening on a balcony. Good , mostly Spanish wines, good cheeses, and some crackers. It needed some veggie item to round it out and an occasional change in offerings would be good?

I stayed in 3 different rooms and all were nice, clean and comfortable. Bed was nothing special but was comfortable. The Baths, fine but not amazing... unless you stop and think about the fact that you are staying a converted convent. Wow!

Despite power problems, shortages, bad weather, and tragedy every day, I felt wanted, and comfortable. The locations is great in old San Juan. Close to the places you want to be but far enough away that you felt protected and away from the chaos.

The on site restaurant was so so. LimiTed menu. This I think will get better as the hotel recovers for the storm and tons of relief workers packing the place.

Over all, I can see this being one of the first properties to get back to baseline during the recovery.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank doc_skid
Reviewed February 13, 2018 via mobile

We arrived late after a long flight from the UK. The night porter greeted us warm and check in was swift. Our room 514 was cool and well furnished and after a hot shower fell into bed exhausted. The next morning the view across the bay made up for the long journey. We enjoyed a great breakfast and had a good day exploring old San Juan. Complimentary tapas was fun and we were able to meet and chat to other guests. Every member of staff we encountered was lovely and if we are ever lucky enough to return to Puerto Rico we will be back!

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple