“Get you drinks early”

San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Ranked #10 of 48 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 26 January 2012

We arrived the around 10pm or so. had a very nice room, it was on the 7th floor looking over the ocean! BEAUTIFUL! We went down stairs to the bar in the lobby. The bartender told us they just did last call, before 11pm i think it was a thursday. We had time for one drink, We when outside to find a place to drink..NO WHERE!! There were a lot of bars but they all close around 11.. We asked a police man walking around if there were any places around there.. he told us this one place that ended up being closed. We stayed there for a week and had a blast.. there are some great places to eat around there.. I suggest Latin Star! GREAT FOOD.. the bar across the street was pretty amazing as well, as long as it was open.. The hotel offered so much to do! We went horse back riding, hiking in the rain forrest. (which was the coolest thing ever, not a hard walk at all and you get to go swimming under the waterfall), zip lining, Biobay tour (which was awful, it took 3 hours go get there, and 3 hours back, not worth the money). Both my girlfriend and I won $100 at the casino, which is always exciting, Drinks at the hotel are expencive ($10 pre mojito)

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Marcus C
Write a ReviewReviews (6,532)

Reviewed 24 January 2012

Where do we begin - they canceled my reservation and then when I called back they told me there were no more JR suites available and that they could put me in a smaller room for the same price an dthat I should call back in a few days to see if they could put me back into a Suite. When I called back they were able to put me back into a JR Suite but at $125 mroe per night then I had before. We were travelign with another family and we booked both rooms at the same time and my friend had none of these problems. I was then told by the local resrvation rep that I could get this adjusted when we arrived.

Upon arrival I was of course told there was nothign that could be done with the rate and that this was because "I canceled" my original reservation and then rebooked 2 weeks later at the higher rate but that he would do me a favor and give me $50 F&B credit per night to make me feel better. My wife blew a gasket and then he offered to put us in a larger JR Suite however as we are in the process of moving our bags he then tells me "sorry we already sold that suite to another guest so you have to stay in the smaller room" . . . are you kidding me ?!?!?

The following day as we all returned from the beach and started to shower for dinner the hot water is turned off and then all water is turned off - this is at 4pm on a Saturday ! ! When we call the desk to complain we ar told that they are doing "routine maintenance" and that they will give me another $100 F&B credit to compensate. This is after my son is standing around with shampoo in his hair for 20 minutes

Later that night when we return from dinner we are then greeted with an ant infestation in our 21st floor room. They send exterminators and spray however the following morning we yet again have thousands of ants all over the mini bar area and bathroom. Sorry - folks no further comps or credits but we can move you across the hall

Then at the end when we go to check out the F&B credits are half of what we were promised and I have to fight again to get what was promised

Not to mention the "resort fee" is not a flat fee but is a % of the room rate so when I was paying a higher rate than my friend and a higher rate than I was originally booked at they then collected a resort fee of almost $75 per night

BTW - the breakfast buffet is tired and greasy and the pool has more trees providing shade than most I have ever seen, not a great place to sun bath as there is pretty much very little opportunity to get sun in a very small and cramped pool area

On the bright side - just about every server, house keeper, bartender and hotel staff memebr was extremely friendly and did a pretty good job (with the exception of the Front desk MGR who in my opinion should have been comping at least one night off my bill)

Room Tip: Ask for a Jr Suite or Corner room - other wise the rooms are way to small
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank Joe S
Reviewed 24 January 2012

Stayed here for two nights before our Caribbean cruise (as did quite a few other folks). It served our purposes very well. It is right on the beach, has two large, well-maintained pools to relax and enjoy a beverage or two, and is in easy walking distance of several very nice restaurants. Our room was in good condition and very clean. The lobby can be, as others have commented, very noisy in the evening when the bar takes over with loud music and lights. In the day, it has a much more relaxed atmosphere. We had no problem getting good service at the front desk or getting a taxi to our ship on Sunday.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Tomtravel23
Reviewed 24 January 2012

Stayed here a week ago. Arrived late because of a nightmare delay by US Air. All of the frustration was wiped out when we arrived at the Marriot and were upgraded. The place is awesome. It is clean, in a wonderful spot on the water and the staff is very attentive. It is within an easy taxi ride to Old San Juan or to the cruise ships. Stay there and you will see for yourself.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tedelbear
Reviewed 23 January 2012

We stayed at this hotel on a part-business, part-pleasure trip to Puerto Rico. It is located in the Condado area, just closer to Ocean Park than other hotels. The staff was great and the desk clerk was able to offer us a room with an ocean view from the side. We were surprised to find that we actually had a great view from our room location and that we could oversee the pool area as well. It provided wonderful picture opportunities and we were able to enjoy sitting out on the balcony looking out the ocean by day and the lovely city lights by night. The rooms are comfortable, well furnished and clean, although just a bit small. They have a casino located in the lobby which provided some fun in the evening as well as live music in the lobby at night as well. They had a live band playing different types of latin music each night, such as salsa, bachata, tango and merengue and we were able to enjoy a few drinks and dancing, as well as watching other dance. The hotel is close to many restaurants and a short ride from Old San Juan. We found a couple of more "local" places to eat, where the prices were reasonable and the food good. The hotel has a breakfast buffet that we tried on our last morning there and it was actually pretty good, although expensive,but its a Marriott, right??

This was a lovely stay and I would return to this hotel in the future.

Room Tip: Rooms on the side of the building have a good view of the ocean and the lights in San Juan.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank 2Mari
Reviewed 23 January 2012

We really enjoyed the hotel and the beach. also, the food in the hotel and within walking distance of this hotel is amazing. we got a cornerwuite with two ocean view balconies. we had a very nice 4 night stay. we cant wait to go back. the only downside is the casino. it is tiny, lacks good games, and the people who worked in the casino were rude.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Michael C
Reviewed 20 January 2012

I will say this about Marriott Hotels, I generally can't fault the hotel if my stay isn't exactly what I was looking for. Example, Marriott San Juan. I'm not going to give a hotel a bad review because the lobby was loud or the hotel was large. The building has been built. It's not the staff or management's fault if a hotel doesn't "wow" you, after all, I'm the one who booked it. The service was great. The rooms were clean. The beds were comfortable. That said, I don't think I'd go out of my way to stay in this hotel again because it wasn't what we look for when we travel. It was in a busy urban area, the beach was packed and the casino was loud. Again, things I can't fault the hotel for. We wrote more about our stay on our blog: www.worldfamilytravellers.blogspot.com

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple