“Worth a Short Visit”

San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Ranked #9 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 28 December 2012

Check-in was easy and pleasant. I was a few hours early and the room reserved was not ready. However, I was offered an alternative that was a small trade-off (two queen-sized beds vs. one king), but fine with me. I was happy to be able to check-in early. Unfortunately, the bathroom had not been fully cleaned when I checked in. I called guest services to report the issue and it took three people to respond and resolve my issue, but it was addressed. Despite this episode, a majority of hotel staff was pleasant each day. Door staff was quick to greet, the bell staff was witty when I requested baggage storage or taxis, beach staff were extremely friendly and helpful, and the concierge was honest and cheerful (the one with the curly blond hair).

There is a convenient area right off the lobby to book off-site tours that include hotel pick-up/transportation; the booking staff there can be prickly, but they get the job done (I think they are contractors, not hotel staff). This hotel is vast! I got lost trying to find the fitness room and the business center a couple of times. I'd have to go outside and re-enter through a different entrance or take another bank of elevators to get to a different side of the hotel. That was my own little issue, not the hotel's. LOL! I did notice that activities in the lobby area were quite loud when I'd enter the hotel, but the noise didn't filter up to my room on the 14th floor (my room faced the pool/beach).

The resort fee covered things like bottled water, towels and beach chairs, business center usage, and poolside activities. I would suggest all guests take advantage; you're paying for it anyway. I did not use the casino, did not eat at the hotel for any meals, nor did I stay around for the nightly entertainment. I had activities off-site, so can't speak to those amenities. The beach was heavenly. The water was a bit chilly for me, but lying on a chaise was just what I needed on vacation. The water was a little choppy at night and the gates to the beach from the hotel close at night so there's no beach entry. The pools were relaxing and beautiful as was the beach/pool side dining area.

I chose this hotel because I am familiar with Marriott and have a rewards card. Also, I liked its placement in San Juan; it was a little oasis in the middle of a city. The one drawback was the noisy construction taking place on nearby businesses. Understandable since it was in the middle of a business week, but did remind me I was in a city. Another benefit: the hotel was on a bus line, which I used to go back and forth to Old San Juan. Also, it is situated near various restaurants, parks and shops.

The one feature I generally like in Marriott hotels is the beds. The beds are heavenly and I always sleep well. I did in San Juan as well; this time with the sound of the ocean lulling me to sleep. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Crecia

Reviewed 28 December 2012

We booked an ocean view room but got upgraded to the VP Suite when we checked in. Saaa-weet! With just the 2 of us, not that we needed it but we'll take it. At almost 1,000 sq ft, the suite is huge with a conference table, work table, tv watching area with a large flat screen, bedroom also with a large flat screen, double doors going into the bathroom (toilet, standing shower and hot tub are separated from the sink/vanity area, which I love because one person can get ready while the other uses the bathroom), sliding glass doors to the balcony (one at one end and the other in the bedroom), and a wrap-around spacious 520 sq ft balcony with an amazing view of the ocean, pool, cruise ships, and pretty much all of San Juan. We only used the bedroom and bathroom but everything else looked clean and in good shape.

The hotel is conveniently located across from shops and restaurants, and within a few minutes of even more restaurants, shops and bars. The lobby has a large bar, spacious lounge area and a dance lounge, with live music every night (I'm almost certain). The hotel has its own casino, a ballroom, 2 tennis courts, 2 large pools, and is just a few steps away from the beach.

Our stay here was comfortable and enjoyable. We thoroughly enjoyed spending time on the balcony. Too bad we didn't have time to lounge around by the pool/beach. We'll definitely stay here again. Thank you for the upgrade!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 December 2012

Beautiful hotel and beach area. Within walking distance of dining, nightlife and shops as well as car rental or bus stops. Tip - take a city bus or wait for a van (taxi) on the street if you're going into Old San Juan. It's easy and inexpensive. The housekeeping is superb in this hotel and they have the most comfortable beds imaginable! Casino is fun and ample-sized for a resort casino.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank pbpvol
Reviewed 25 December 2012

Instead of talking only about the hotel, I'm going to try to give useful info about the surroundings.

Good location on the beach and with respect to other hotels however it's not right in the center of the strip, but rather more to one end (not a big deal in my opinion). Awesome Italian restaurant called Di Zucherro across the street (has good vegetarian options as well). Starbucks across the street as well. Great affordable breakfast place a few blocks away called Danny's international where you can eat quickly before heading out for a day of activity/hiking in the rainforest or wherever else you venture off to. Di Zucherro also serves breakfast but it's slightly more expensive. Can also eat breakfast at Orozco's, but it's terrible and slow so I wouldnt recommend it. There's a Walgreens one block away with a small grocery store in it where you can get some essentials.

Also, as a side note, I left my bag in a cab that we took from our hotel and I called the hotel about it. They told the valet who then flagged down the cab driver and turned my bag into the hotel luggage room. I was thoroughly convinced I lost all my stuff but the honesty of the valet and driver prevailed. It was a great example of the service and assistance you'll get at this place.

The Marriott also provides easy to follow printed directions to sites around the island that are much easier to follow than google maps.

• Stayed: December 2012
6  Thank Jeev23
Reviewed 23 December 2012

The hotel was very nice. We received an ocean front room (which was a very good idea - we recommend it) with a decent sized balcony. The concierge is quite knowledgeable, but she isn't always available. The pool is well-taken care of and in great shape. The beach is narrow, but nice. There were a lot of waves when we were there (just after a hurricane) and the beach was actually closed for a couple of days, which did not make my husband too happy. We went to the bar a couple of times and the restaurant once. Everything was top quality, but slightly expensive. We liked the location of the property. Very central, safe and easy to walk around. All in all - very good experience.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view if it is available.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jazzsmom
Reviewed 23 December 2012

This hotel has a good location with lots of restaurant choices near by.....The staff were wonderful, everything was well run and clean.....The beach and pool are both great....Yes, the hotel food and drinks are overpriced, but that's pretty much a given, especially in a chain hotel....Outside of that, we have no complaints......It's worth upgrading to an ocean view or at least asking for a higher floor.....We started off on the 4th floor "city" view and basically over looked the parking lot and airconditioning system........When we asked for an upgrade halfway through our vacation, the staff were very accomodating and the price was reasonable.....If/when we go back to Puerto Rico, we would stay here again......

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 December 2012

My wife and me stayed here for 2 nights before setting off on a cruise. We stayed using Marriott Reward points so I cannot comment on value but from what I saw the prices looked reasonable. We were warmly greeted when we arrived, offered rum punch, and shown to our room. Being a platinum member we were given a really nice upgrade to a corner room with 2 balconies on the beach with great ocean views and a split of champagne. The room was a nice size, in very good condition with lots of nice touches. We had fantastic views of the ocean and beach. Bed was very comfortable. AC worked well which is very important to me. The room was very clean and stayed that way throughout our stay due to great service staff. Every one was very nice, friendly and very helpful. Our room had a nice and very clean bathroom, well equipped, normal sized but very adequate. The food in the restaurant for breakfast was very good. Beach was great, lots of chairs and umbrella's. Water was beautiful but a little rough surf at times. It did not keep us out of the water but you had to be a pretty good swimmer. The swimming pool was very nice, lots of area for adults and kids. Swim up bar was nice. The location was great, right on beach, lots of restaurants and shopping very close, easy walking distance. A few very high end stores just west of the hotel. We loved our time at this hotel and would certainly come back again if we return to the area. The only down side was that the pool seemed to lose the sun about 3 pm due to shadows.

Room Tip: Try to get ocean side, it is probably going to be worth the up charge.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
5.7 km away
El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton

Been to San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino? Share your experiences!