“Great location”

Ranked #21 of 29 San Juan B&B and Inns
Staunton, VA
“Great location”
Reviewed 14 March 2012

The room, bed, bathroom, and overall amenities were average...didn't expect a lot more for the money. The location was wonderful... We walked to eat, shop, and to the beach. We rented a car, which we had to find a parking place a couple of blocks away each time we parked...but we love to walk. The hotel is too far from Old San Juan...so you need to drive there because in OldSanJuan you are going to walk plenty.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Norwell, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 March 2012

We’ve been coming to the El Canario b&b on Ashford for many years. There’s something about its simplicity, the style of the building with its outdoor courtyard and sun-strewn indoor public space, its convenient location among a variety of restaurants, but especially the friendly helpfulness of the staff. There’s a growing group of visitors who come back year after year. We can’t imagine spending our Puerto Rican vacation anywhere but at El Canario.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Ottawa
Reviewed 29 January 2012

Make no mistake about, this is not a 5-star hotel. It is a modest, nice little hotel, with comfortable enough rooms and a most basic breakfast.

That said, pound for pound, you cannot do better than this place, especially in expensive San Juan.

One, the location is amazing. You are in Condado, steps from the beach, a short bus ride or taxi drive (and a nice walk) to Old San Juan, and in the midst of a fairly robust night life. Except on weekends, I found the hotel surprising quiet.

Two, the hotel was incredibly accommodating. I got a great rate from Priceline for two nights, not sure if I would want to stay at the hotel (or in San Juan) for a whole week. Because they weren't overly crowded, they told me that I could extend my stay day by day at the price line rate! They also booked my trips for me, all of which were enjoyable.

If you are expecting a Marriott, or even a basic 3.5 star chain, you may be disappointed. But this is a very cute, comfortable and friendly hotel. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Adam B
San Juan, null, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 23 January 2012

I have NEVER written a review before but I really felt the need to do so now. This hotel is a GEM!! Let me start with the STAFF-Ms. Sigrid Pinero-Director of Guest Services-she is the epitomy of professionalism, beauty, both in and out, courteous, knowledgeable, friendly, just a great person. I wish she would train EVERY other hotel employee on the island. Her staff is really warm, helpful and no matter what you need, they are there for you. The kitchen is big, clean and always fully stocked. The rooms are clean, nice flat screens and comfortable. The location of the hotel is PRIME!!! Right in the heart of Condado, you are right in the middle of 2 major casino hotels, restaurants and stores everywhere, the beach is just down the street, and yet, I was never disrupted by the noise. I recommend this hotel to ANYONE who really wants to be surrounded by the beauty and fun that is Puerto Rico!!

Room Tip: I was in a room-107 which had a water feature right outside the room. It was so peaceful between the...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 20 December 2011

It was a last min place. I booked. the place looks ok, but as soon you go into the rooms...this is terrible!!! smell, I had to change myself, yes myself the bed sheets because it was hair on my bed all over. I think somebody slept before me and they just used the same sheets. The receptionist man likes to go outside when he is working , so I had to wait untill he came back. We went to the laundry room and it was a mess.. HORRIBLE!!!!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Rincon, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 24 October 2011

I think the El Canario Inn is a great value in San Juan. It is in a great location, walk to the beach and lots of stuff to do in Condado. The staff is consistenly friendly and they include a continental breakfast for free. The rooms are basic but clean and the overall appeal of the hotel is quaint and nice. After a horrific experience at another Condado hotel, we moved to Canario and were extremely happy and pleased. It's not five star, but it's darn good!

Room Tip: Our room did not have a view, but you might be able to request a room that overlooks the courtyard...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Swift Current
Reviewed 17 September 2011

This is a budget hotel that is reasonable to stay for a few nights. The room is small and simple, clean but with a musty odor. The staff was friendly and good to deal with. It has a very good location for walking to the beach or catching a taxi to a cruise ship. This hotel has some character that comes with time. If you want a better hotel then you will can pay more to get something a little nicer.

Room Tip: There is no elevator so don't take an upper floor if you don't want to carry your luggage up...
  • Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple