“Great location”

Canario Boutique Hotel
Ranked #22 of 30 San Juan B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 April 2012

The location really is the best spot in Condado! You can't beat it!

We booked this hotel at the very last minute because our cruise got cancelled, so for the only hotel available at such short notice, we weren't excepting much - It is a little better than what we were expecting. The amenities and room are small and average, but okay for two people. It is great if you are spending a lot of time exploring and away from the hotel as it is so close to everything. Cabs aren't that expensive (around $12 to Old San Juan (12 minutes drive)) and we found cab drivers friendly and informative.

One thing we didn't like was that the pool and spas are more than 10 blocks away at a partner hotel. The spa at Wind Chimes is amazing! Probably the best hot tub I have ever seen, it is almost the size of a pool. The pool at Acacia is not so good. In fact, once we saw it we didn't go there to swim once.

Overall, this hotel is good if you only want to sleep there. It is nothing fancy, so don't expect it. But the rooms were clean and comfortable and staff were friendly and accommodating. Good value for money, considering Condado is expensive to stay in.

Reviewed 26 March 2012

when reviewing this hotel prior to making a choice i was surprised at the disparity of reviews. i thought how could one say it was great and another be the polar opposite? i decide to risk it and go with the more positive reviews. bad choice. the room was soooo small only one person could walk around the bed at a time, no space for luggage. the one extra chair in the room had to be moved around every time we wanted to get in the closet, bathroom or out side. cleanliness was borderline. "continental breakfast" very limited to box cereal, box of pastries. with what you get, this should be priced for under $100.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank lori776
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Things that I liked:
- Location is amazing, at the heart of Condado
- Bed was comfortable

Things I didn't like:
- expensive for what you get. 160$ a night for a perhaps 2-star accommodation is absurd.
- breakfast is poor. Almost all bananas were rotten. Croissants were not fresh.
- today is my last day and I asked to leave my bags at the reception for the day; but they have no place to keep bags! The lady at the front desk told me to leave them at the lounge, where anyone can easily steal them. I hope I can find them when I get back to the hotel this afternoon.
- We need to leave the room and check-out by 11am. The cleaning lady knocked on my door at 10:50am, even as the TV was on and loud (she certainly knew there was someone inside)
- The TV is small and the sound is terrible. No small fridge in the room.
- Expedia charged 16% more than the price listed at the hotel.

Taxis are really expensive in San Juan. A short ride (5 minutes) will set you back 15 dollars. They don't have a meter and the ride cost is decided by the taxi driver ad hoc. If you want to explore the beach, stay in Condado. If you want to spend most of your time in Old San Juan, stay there. Or rent a car...

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank JoseBez
Reviewed 20 March 2012

If you want a foo-foo type of hotel, this isn't the one for you. We stayed for a week and loved it. The price is well worth it, because you get the location of the beach being literally right around the corner from the beach and there's tons of shopping and food eateries up and down the street. If you need a calm environment to rest and go this is the best spot. The only con is the parking...if you do stay here, take the first left at buns burgers and another left at the intersection where the park is, it's free. Oh yeah, a smaller car is better for parking and getting around the narrow streets.

1  Thank Rolly5678
Reviewed 14 March 2012

The room, bed, bathroom, and overall amenities were average...didn't expect a lot more for the money. The location was wonderful... We walked to eat, shop, and to the beach. We rented a car, which we had to find a parking place a couple of blocks away each time we parked...but we love to walk. The hotel is too far from Old San Juan...so you need to drive there because in OldSanJuan you are going to walk plenty.

Reviewed 14 March 2012

We’ve been coming to the El Canario b&b on Ashford for many years. There’s something about its simplicity, the style of the building with its outdoor courtyard and sun-strewn indoor public space, its convenient location among a variety of restaurants, but especially the friendly helpfulness of the staff. There’s a growing group of visitors who come back year after year. We can’t imagine spending our Puerto Rican vacation anywhere but at El Canario.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 January 2012

Make no mistake about, this is not a 5-star hotel. It is a modest, nice little hotel, with comfortable enough rooms and a most basic breakfast.

That said, pound for pound, you cannot do better than this place, especially in expensive San Juan.

One, the location is amazing. You are in Condado, steps from the beach, a short bus ride or taxi drive (and a nice walk) to Old San Juan, and in the midst of a fairly robust night life. Except on weekends, I found the hotel surprising quiet.

Two, the hotel was incredibly accommodating. I got a great rate from Priceline for two nights, not sure if I would want to stay at the hotel (or in San Juan) for a whole week. Because they weren't overly crowded, they told me that I could extend my stay day by day at the price line rate! They also booked my trips for me, all of which were enjoyable.

If you are expecting a Marriott, or even a basic 3.5 star chain, you may be disappointed. But this is a very cute, comfortable and friendly hotel. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo