“Hilton Coronado”

The Condado Plaza Hilton
Ranked #24 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 30 October 2013

The lobby was older although there was work being done to upgrade it. The outside of the hotel was in some disrepair and was somewhat weather beaten. The service was excellent and the rooms were better than average.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
There are newer reviews for The Condado Plaza Hilton

Reviewed 29 October 2013 via mobile

Even though this trip was only for one night I was totally satisfied with my room and customer service. I love this place. Just get the room service back!!! I did have dinner at the Asian location in the hotel and the food was quite good. Seafood soup and chicken n broccoli. Delish.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 October 2013

My husband and I visited San Juan for three days prior to a cruise to the southern Caribbean. It was one of the most enjoyable experiences we have ever had. The hotel was awesome and amazing. The three days in Puerto Rico were almost as enjoyable as the seven on the cruise! I was just so impressed with the hotel, the views, the room, the food, the staff, the cleanliness, the feeling of security, and everything else regarding the stay there. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. I'm sure it will be a great experience.

Room Tip: Ocean view is a must! Gorgeous!
1  Thank amazed_12
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I stayed here a week while working on a convention. My basic take on the place is that the rooms are great, the views are great, the location is pretty convenient, the food is to be avoided, and if you value your sanity, do NOT plan a convention here.

The Lagoon tower rooms have a lagoon and pretty city view, with mostly white rooms, and the Ocean tower has a great ocean view with white and very bright red rooms (not to everyone's taste). Everything is very clean and well kept up, and the rooms have nice balconies.

Both towers have pools and hot tubs, though the Ocean tower's are open 24 hours and much more extensive. Between the large pool areas and the beachfront (very little swimmable beach, but lots of good views and comfy hammocks), there is nothing to complain about on this front! Don't worry about getting gouged for towels or chaise lounges like some resorts do. There is snorkeling, boating, and other amenities available.

That's where the praise stops, though. For a lot of travelers it's all they want, and if so you've found your perfect hotel in San Juan. However...

I have never experienced such a crummy food situation in any hotel I have stayed at. All the restaurants have average food at best, but severely overpriced and the service is bizarrely slow. If you have to eat in the hotel, your best bet is the restaurant/bar by the pool. Several times I couldn't get away long enough to go down the street, and had such wonderful surprises as cold eggs, paper in the French onion soup (served almost an hour after it was ordered), and a waitress who thought it was weird that we would want butter or jam with toast. There is no room service. Fortunately there are lots of restaurants in easy walking distance. Unfortunately, half of them are almost as bad as the hotel's.

The business center is amazingly overpriced. Fortunately, there is a copy shop about .7 miles down the road. The concierge is nearly useless for information. For example, I needed to get some additional flowers for an event, and explained that I just wanted to know about any place within 2-3 miles where I could walk. The concierge insisted that no such place existed. A little digging around on the web, and I found an excellent place to get flowers (a supermarket, actually!) about a mile and a half away. The same thing happened when I tried to get the card of a particularly good and inexpensive print shop from the concierge, which they had given to another member of our crew the day before. Despite asking for that print shop by name, I was told that the only place to get printing and copying done was the business center, even when I told them I knew about both the copy shop down the street and the one a different concierge had referred us to. Grudgingly, he looked in his desk and voila - a stack of their cards.

They get an A on facilities, but a D on service.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the water on either the ocean or lagoon side, versus on the sides of the tower...
1  Thank Daemonaquila
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Dear Daemonaquila,

Hi there! Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your visit; as I truly value all of our customer’s feedback regarding their stays at our hotel.

I was pleased to read that you found your room, as well as our facilities and views great!

Unfortunately, in regards to Room Service, In-Room dining has been representing an extremely small percentage of meals consumed at our hotel. Over the years, there has been a continued decline in room dining orders by our guests, and an increase in requests for “grab and go” type meals. This has become evident at our hotel, thus, our decision to discontinue this offering.

I would greatly appreciate if you could please contact me to discuss the issues you encountered with our Food and Beverage Department and or restaurant outlets, as well as your comment regarding your Convention so I can address them promptly and share them with our Management Team, my e-mail is michelle.burn@hilton.com.

Again, thank you for your comments, I will share them with our Management Team as our promise is to ensure that all of our guests are well cared for, valued and respected. In this competitive world, service is essential, most importantly, since guests are the main reason we are here, and that is why we always want to make things right! Thank you for choosing the Condado Plaza Hilton; I look forward to speaking with you!

All the best,

Michelle

Reviewed 29 October 2013

My husband and I stayed there from Friday (Oct.25) to Monday (Oct.28). Check-in process was fast and easy. We get to our room, it was spacious and nice. However, we noticed what looked like a blood stain on our bed which, was white so the stain definitely stood out.

Went back downstairs and asked the lady at front desk to send housekeeping over to the room to change our sheets. Front desk lady assured someone would be over so, we left the hotel for a couple of hours to run some errands (we were in PR for a wedding).

We came back and found our bed looking like a mess!! Someone from housekeeping had pull down our sheets to almost the middle of the bed, messed the pillows aaaaand didn't change the blood stained sheet!!! My husband went back downstairs and talked to a manager who promised to send housekeeping back to the room with a supervisor. About 15 minutes went by and a girl from housekeeping showed up by herself. I told her we were told a supervisor was supposed to come too. She proceeded to ask for a supervisor via walkie-talkie. The whole time she was there by herself with us she was working around the room with an attitude.

I speak Spanish but spoke only English to her. I heard her say to someone (in Spanish) while she was using our room phone (still asking for a supervisor to come up) "the client is requesting a supervisor and SHE says the bed looks horrible"...I was so mad she said it like that...didn't she have eyes?? The bed looked awful and had blood on it! We took pictures and still have them on our phones...

The supervisor finally came up and looked at the bed (which we requested to remain untouched until he got there). He apologized and said he didn't know what happened. The girl from housekeeping started acting super nice when her boss got there. Then she changed the bed with all of us watching. I also told the manager the shower stall was leaking badly. He said we would have someone fix it. Then they both left. Later that day, management told my husband we would get a $50 credit for the inconvenience and a free room upgrade. We never got the upgrade.

We received the check-out paper in our room and noticed we did have the $50 credit and that we weren't charged for one of the nights. We assumed that because we never had the upgrade and stayed in the room with the leaky shower, they were giving us a complimentary night during our stay. Little did we know that when we went to the front desk (to check-out) they would charge us for all of the nights. I mentioned to the girl from front desk what we had assumed (since we didn't get the upgrade that was promised due to the leaky shower). The girl said "well, I apologize I guess they didn't follow up with that, at least the $50 credit covers your parking". Not even!!! I told her parking was more than that so, she used the calculator and told me that at least we were only paying $4.57 for parking but, that we had to pay for our whole stay. I asked "so, that's it?" And she said "yes, that's it". We payed and we left.

Horrible customer service, except for the doorman!!!!!!! The only thing we enjoyed was the view from the room (ocean view), the pool, the beach, and having La Concha close by because that's where the wedding party was staying....next time, we will stay at La Concha...

-M.Richardson

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, ask for ocean view. Check your bed sheets before sleeping on the bed. Chec...
2  Thank Melissa R

Dear M Richardson:

First of all, thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay with us.
I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience we caused with the issues you encountered during your stay at our hotel. I will investigate and share your review with our Director of Housekeeping as well as Engineering to address the issues you have mentioned and ensure this does not occur in the future.

I would love to have the opportunity to restore your trust in our hotel. I kindly ask you to please contact me via e-mail at michelle.burn@hilton.com. I would like to personally apologize for the situation and invite you to come back in the near future.

All the best,

Michelle Burn
Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed 28 October 2013

we stayed in the Lagoon Tower so as to have a view of the water and sunsets.
the room was great as was the terrace.
the restaurants were OK, but nothing exciting.
Starbucks was across the street and next to the car rental office, which was very convenient.

Room Tip: high floor is always best.
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Check-in was extremely slow; while the rooms were clean, there was a considerable amount of noise in the hallway at night. The hotel's location was good (reasonably close to the convention center), and the cafe was very good for a lunch sandwhich

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
6.5 km away
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
0.6 km away
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!